The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2003, 04:13 PM   #1
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Mouth of Sauron: Secrets

What exactly was the Mouth of Sauron? An Elf?
A Maia? An Orc? And is there anyway we can find out about his past?
Old 01-14-2003, 04:37 PM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think he was a man from Harad.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is said in the RotK that he was a Black Numenorean who was in the service of Sauron and under him, he grew in witchcraft and sorcery, and he gained Sauron's favor. Not too sure how he lived that long, unless it was some of his sorcery that he grew so powerful in.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I always thort of him as comeing from Umbar it was traditionally a home for black Numenoreans on m/e, hes been alive for so long that hes fogotten his name so could it be possible he could be one of the original numenorians in the survace of sauron at the time of ar-pharazon? just a thort
Old 01-14-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
could it be possible he could be one of the original numenorians in the survace of sauron at the time of ar-pharazon?
That would put him right up there with the Nazgul, and I really rather doubt that. No doubt that he was quite old, but not that old. In fact the text says...

Quote:
And he entered the service of the Dark Tower when it first rose again, and because of his cunning he grew ever higher in the Lord's favor...
The reconstruction of Barad-dur began in 2951, although he may have entered Sauron's service a little before that date. That is a relatively brief time to have been in Sauron's pay. He must have had a rather long career elsewhere in the world before he took up the job as Lieutenant of the Tower. Or maybe he is just not as old as he is usually credited as being.

And before anyone says something to the effect of, "Well, then obviously he had served Sauron from before the time of the Last Alliance," he clearly did not. Barad-dur was destroyed by the Last Alliance. The phrase "when it first rose again" shows that he joined Sauron when he returned to Mordor, after the events in The Hobbit.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:28 PM   #6
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it, and he said: ‘I am the Mouth of Sauron.’ But it is told that he was a renegade, who came of the race of those that are named the Black Númenóreans; for they established their dwellings in Middle-earth during the years of Sauron’s domination, and they worshipped him, being enamoured of evil knowledge. And he entered the service of the Dark Tower when it first rose again, and because of his cunning he grew ever higher in the Lord’s favour; and he learned great sorcery, and knew much of the mind of Sauron; and he was more cruel than any orc.
Númenóreans were men, from isle of Númenór, of course, that was west over the sea towards Aman. It was overcome by water in the Second Age.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 01-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #7
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

And I suppose it must be said: Black does not refer to the color of their skin.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:52 AM   #8
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes-most of the Kings men and Black Numenorians were Marachians-similar to the Rohirrim and Northmen. Most of the faithful and Elednili were Beorrim, who were said to have quite dark skin, in places, due to intermingling with other mannish tribes, whilst they journeyed to Beleriand and on the sea of Rhun, were there was quite a large camp.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:29 AM   #9
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

Doesn't "Black" mean that they are just the opposite of the "good" Numenoreans?
That's how I always understood it.
Like Black and White, Good and Evil, Tasty and "yarg!", you know what I mean...

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:06 PM   #10
Maerbenn
Haunting Spirit

Maerbenn has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

In this thread the mysterious Saulotus presents his infamous theory on the identity of the Mouth of Sauron: Magic in Middle-earth
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote