The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #41
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In the extended Two Towers DVD, when the wild man swears alligance to Saruman in Orthanc, and cuts his hand with his knife.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the impact of the Riders of Rohan crashing into the wargs in TTT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>*Frodo being stung by Shelob<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>when the Mumakils(sp?) were stomping on the Rohirrim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When Gandalf was falling/fighting with the Balrog (beginning of TTT)<P>When the orc (Ugluk?) made Merry drink that 'medicine' *shivers*<P>Oooh, and when Pippin and Merry were squashed by that tree<P>and I always go 'oooh' when Aragorn kicks the orc helmet in TTT because we all know that Mortenson broke his toe doing that scene and I just have to cringe. Broken toes hurt whether it's by clydesdales or orc helmets.<P><BR>oh yes, and, I don't agree with you <B>Storm</B><P> <BR>-Maikafanawen
Old 01-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #42
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

My biggest one is when Boromir is being shot, especialy the last arrow (the one the orc doesn't actually shoot at him because Aragorn comes) because the orc just walks up in front of him. I usually get so into the moment that I forget Aragorn is coming so it just makes me so mad, and then just as he's about to shoot you see Aragorn fly into him. My next biggest Oooh is in the Two Tower EE when the wild man cuts his hand, ouch!
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #43
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haldir's death blow.<P>Gollum getting tortured.<P>Hama getting chomped.
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 AM   #44
Bandobras Took
Pile O'Bones

Bandobras Took has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

It made me cry when frodo left sam and sam started to cry at the winding stairs. and when the cheaf wild man cut his hand i alegence.
Bandobras Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 AM   #45
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Some good "ooooh" moments:<P>-Warg/Rohirrim Crashing in TTT<BR>-Treebeard stepping on the orc in Fangorn<BR>-Gandalf bumping his head on the cieling in FotR (just because he's too venerable for that)<BR>-One mumak sliding <I>under</I> another on Pelennor Fields and the two of them crashing to the ground.<BR>-At Helm's Deep in TTT, after the not-meant-to-be explosion, one giant chunk of rock bouncing on the uruk-hai. I actually felt sorry for them.<BR>-Again at Helm's Deep, when the tallest ladder fell, hanging in the air for a moment just long enough for the orcs on it to realize that they had five seconds to live.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #46
Elanor the Fair
Pile O'Bones

Elanor the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

When they throw the heads of the men who were with Fairmir in rotk were caterpolted into Minus Tirth. (I don't think that I spelled that right, oh well)<P>In the extended adition of fotr when the ork that killed Boromir (i don't remember his name) took the knife that Aragorn stabbed into his leg and licked it. uggghhh! Just thinking avout it runs shivers up my back!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:22 AM   #47
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

Oooh, yes, I almost forgot about Haldir getting hit in the back with the axe. *shudder*<P>Another one which isn't a pain inflicted "oooh" but makes me cringe just as much is when, after Haldir has died, Aragorn places his disgustingly bloody hand on Haldir's clean elven chest. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I completely agree with your nomination of Sam's tug on Gollum. Rather similar result to the Saruman scene first described (which I note no-one has agreed with yet). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I agree with you, <B>Eomer</B>! That is definitely an "oooh" moment. Poor old Sarry!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:11 PM   #48
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>ROTK - Sam and Frodo sleeping on the cliff (I understand that they have to sleep but - couldn't they have picked a better spot? *shutters*)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Lol! Just what I thought: "Tell me again why they picked that spot...?" I mean, seriously, it's right on a precarious edge that could end in a really big drop...And there's clearly plenty of extra 'safe rock' (if I'm remembering rightly) which they could've chosen .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:09 PM   #49
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What an interesting topic! I’ve thought about this before since I watch the EE’s a LOT, and have wondered at how I continue to cringe/flinch at the same scenes every single time. <BR> <BR><B>Cringers & Flinchers & Try-to-Close-My-Eyes-Before-They-Happen Scenes:</B><BR><I>FotR:</I> Bilbo’s sudden, vicious transformation at Rivendell when Frodo won’t let him touch the Ring; when Boromir runs his finger along Narsil; a half-flinch when Pippin touches the arrow on the skeleton perched on the well in Moria; <BR><I>TT:</I> Gollum eating the worm; the Wild Man slicing his hand; the Ent being set on fire; when Haldir gets the second & fatal blow; ; I cringed first time Eowyn sang, but now I look forward to it<BR><I>RotK:</I> (have seen it 6 times and I think these will stay the same for the future): When the mumakil get shot/sliced or crash & fall; when Faramir’s lieutenant gets skewered by Gothmog in Osgiliath; seeing Sam & Frodo sleeping on the very edge of a cliff edge about 100 miles up (what if you had one of those tired muscle spasms?); Shelob half dropping and then spinning Frodo’s limp body in the slimy-sounding web goo<P>It’s also interesting at what DOESN’T make me cringe/flinch.<BR><B>Scenes-I-Probably-Should-Have-Been-Cringing-At-But-Really-Like:</B><BR><I>FotR:</I> the no-nonsense beheading of Lurtz (actually, any & all of Aragorn’s sword fights)<BR><I>TT:</I> the tower/ladder falling back to the ground after Legolas severs the rope line<BR><I>RotK:</I> the smashing encounter when Rohirrim meet Orcs.<P><B>In Related Category:</B> I can’t help thinking these things throughout each movie every single time I see it/them: “Gosh, you’d think someone would have broken a few bones by now,” and “When do their feet/clothes ever have time to dry out?”
Old 02-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #50
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

These are mine:<P>In RotK when the hobbits are on Mount Doom and Gollum jumps on Frodo and Sam hurls a rock at Gollum's head -- that's gotta hurt.<P>Another one that makes me cringe is when Denethor is pouring the oil over himself...there's just something about that...<P>In TTT at the battle of Helm's Deep when the orcs are shooting the grappling hooks over the walls and that one hits the Rohirrim soldier in the chest...I feel so sorry for that poor guy.<P>There are others which people have mentioned elsewhere so I won't repeat them.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #51
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Umm...in the TTT EE when Legolas fires that arrow in between Gimli's legs .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:22 PM   #52
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>when Boromir runs his finger along Narsil<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, yes, I most definitely cringe during that part. It is because I hate blood.<P>Another part that I cringe at is in FOTR, when Frodo is at Amon Hen. And he is on top of the Battlement, with the ring on, and he sees the eye, takes it off, and then basically falls 20 something feet to the ground.<P>Now this looks like it would hurt so much! He falls something like 2 stories, and he just gets up! I would be in so much pain, he would most likely have a broken back. It is great that he wasn't really hurt by this fall. But it just looks painful to me.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:29 AM   #53
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I just get this weird feeling everytime Sauron's Eye appears. I don't know why.<P>I also sort-of cringed when Galadriel said "the one who has seen the Eye" followed by that sudden motion with her eyes in FotR...it was really weird.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #54
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Shameless bump...

...but also because I was watching The Two Towers last night and noticed a moment that has not yet been mentioned on this thread.

That is when Grima is thrown out of Meduseld and down the stairs. Good lord that looks so painful. Solid stone, that is; and it's not just one impact, it's several. How could he get up and run away after taking that fall? It makes me cringe every time. Horrible to watch.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #55
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorwingel
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>when Boromir runs his finger along Narsil<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, yes, I most definitely cringe during that part. It is because I hate blood.<P>Another part that I cringe at is in FOTR, when Frodo is at Amon Hen. And he is on top of the Battlement, with the ring on, and he sees the eye, takes it off, and then basically falls 20 something feet to the ground.<P>Now this looks like it would hurt so much! He falls something like 2 stories, and he just gets up! I would be in so much pain, he would most likely have a broken back. It is great that he wasn't really hurt by this fall. But it just looks painful to me.
I always thought he should have at least had the breath knocked out of him-- lying flat, mouth opening and closing and unable to breathe for ten or twenty seconds. That's what happened when I fell off the swingset and landed flat on my back nearly forty years ago...

But maybe they thought it would be a replay of the Troll spear in Moria.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #56
Lindo

I get the willies when I see Eowyn stroking pre-cured Theoden's gnarly hand. Brrrr. His hand is SO leathery and nasty. And his face... Brrrr.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #57
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Things that make Maeg go "ooh!" in disgust/horror:

*'Gorn's fingernails. So gross! They're black! Yick-yuck-yick!

*Pre-Gollum Smeagol biting into the fish at the beginning of ROTK. Nasty, gross... I cringe every time.

*When the cave troll gets the arrow through the trachea. Yeeeeeeeach! Combined with that suprized little last gasp for breath, it's awful!

*when Gorn kisses dead Boromir. A) He's kissing a DEAD GUY! DEADNESS! YEEK! B) Gorn's disgusting hair is dripping into Boromir's face. He is lucky he's dead. As for Sean Bean... I'm sorry, man. C) The aforementioned black nails are touching Boromir's face. Gyah! Look, I know Bor turned out to be semi-evil, but he didn't deserve THAT! SAURON didn't have to put up with Aragorn's yuckyness!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #58
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Definate OOOH for moi was in RotK EE, in which Gandalf faced the Witchking, but... hmm...

Definitally in the Shire Party scene, when Bilbo vanishes and his gate opens by itself... no, I don't know why. And in the scene where Theoden dies, and he's all like "You already have saved me."

Heh... coughLUKEcoughSTARWARSCROSSOVERISWEARITcough
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #59
Vanwatholiel

Location: In a dark corner of my mind. Don't look at me like that! I never liked you anyway. Stop staring!
Vanwatholiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vanwatholiel
Silmaril

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, although I'm fairly certain someone has,(I mean, how can you not? You can't miss it!), is in ROTK, when Eowyn is fighting the Witch King, and he swings his spiked mace and hits her on the arm. I mean the shield is in the way, but that shatters like a ritz cracker. And she still broke her arm. When I saw and felt that impact, I jumped and winced like crazy! I mean the sound effects and everything made me grab my arm as if I was in pain. I didn't say oooh. I yelled.
Vanwatholiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:13 AM   #60
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
For me it's a strange one. It's that bit in the Two Towers when the Ents attack Isengard and one of them is set on fire (I can't remember by what). But the bit that makes me go 'ooh' is when said Ent then puts the fire out by ducking into the water as it must be such blessed relief! So maybe thats an 'aah' rather than an 'ooh' but either way!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #61
Sharpis Corbis
Pile O'Bones

Sharpis Corbis has just left Hobbiton.
I have two 'cringe' moments. The first is in FotR when Aragorn is fighting Lurtz. Aragorn stabs Lurtz through the leg with the knife and then Lurtz pulls it back out. And second, during RotK when Rohan is charging towards the Pelennor Fields and some of the horses are hit by the arrows and slam to the ground. Those both make cringe.
Sharpis Corbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #62
peral
Animated Skeleton

peral has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Brambleburr
In the extended Two Towers DVD, when the wild man swears alligance to Saruman in Orthanc, and cuts his hand with his knife. I can imagine how much that would hurt. But I'm not that squeamish really, just that little thing made me go 'owch!'
Ergh! Me too. Also in Pirates of the Carribean when Barbossa cuts Elizabeth's hand. Maybe it's just me and watching a blade slice across the palm of someone's hand but. *shudders* I can't stand it, I always either stiffen or squeak. The squeak is what my sister says I do, I've never actually noticed myself doing it...but oh well..
Old 03-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #63
Sharpis Corbis
Pile O'Bones

Sharpis Corbis has just left Hobbiton.
Oh yes. When the dying man has the spear shoved through his chest at Osgiliath. Can't forget that. That was the one that really made me cringe.
Sharpis Corbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #64
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Being an arachnophobe, whenever there was a close up shot of Shelob's mouth or whenever she whipped out her stinger i went insane. Another part is when in TTT EE, the wildman swears the oath to Saruman and then slices his hand, aye! And lastly when Wormtongue is thrown down the stairs, it didn't really look like it hurt that bad, until one could see Brad Dourif's facial expression.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #65
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
I had to wince at the impact of the Riders of Rohan crashing into the wargs in TTT.
That gets me everytime, it is a HUGE impact...

It's not so much Boromir's arrows that make me "cringe," or "shudder" as much as in FOTR EE, when he grabs the Troll's chain and gets smacked up against the wall...ouch.

Or when Sam is kicking butt with his frying pans

Or in TTT EE when a stupid Uruk sticks it's arm through the gate and Gamling hacks it off...

This one isn't a cringing moment, but it gets me, in TTT when Theoden is stabbed by a spear holding the gates and he takes a spear and stabs the orc back.