The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #1
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril The Love of Legolas and Linniel, Usurped Princess and Daughter of Elrond - ON ICE!

Okay, maybe that hasn't happened yet, but that was the original mental image I had when I learned about Ancanar, a new movie being made. It takes place in Middle Earth, but was written by Sam R. Balcomb, a director.<P>I wanted to hear your opinions on this movie coming out. There is information about it <A HREF="http://www.lordotrings.com/noflash/movies/ancanar.asp" TARGET=_blank>here</A> and the official website is <A HREF="http://www.ancanar.com/" TARGET=_blank>here</A> if you want to learn about it.<P>I wanted to know:<BR>How do you feel about this story being made?<BR>Do you think this will start a new wave of fanfic-based movies?<BR>Just talk about your opinion about it in general. I will start with mine:<P>At first, as I said, I had this image of some of the horrible teeny-bopper stories that I've seen where the Mary-Sue character marries Legolas and they live "happily ever after" being turned into a movie. I also thought that no one can create as compelling a story as Tolkien did.<P>Then, although I still agree with the second part, I began to read about the movie and I started to get into it *blushes a bright shade of red*. Although I still don't completely understand what it is about, it may turn out to be a good film. I think that, as long as a writer captures the essence of Middle Earth, I believe it is acceptable to take liberties and create one's own story.<P>Then, however I saw the pictures of people and it all changed...<P>Unless these Elves happen to have a barber, their hair is way to short. They all have boy-band hairstyles. The women have long hair, but it is plain. They all look too much like 21st Century people to me.<P>Oh well, that's just my opinion right now. As this is a movie, I figured it belonged in the Movie Section. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about these new Tolkien-based movies that will be coming out soon...
Old 01-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I'm being close-minded, but that's my right. The person who's making this is an idiot. Are people allowed to make other stories about Middle Earth? Did the director get copyrights or something? I absolutely don't support this film and want to hear nothing more about it. (that's not saying that others can't talk about it, I just probably won't visit this thread anymore. Sorry if I came off as being really mean, I just don't like ME being messed with)
Old 01-19-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm...this movie looks like it's just trying to make some money off the Middle-Earth craze of the moment. I might go to see the movie, but I can't see myself enjoying it on the same level as The Lord of the Rings; probably because it could never be on the same level as the magic Tolkien created!<P>I guess it's alright that the director is maybe trying to continue the journey that Tolkien started, but it could never truly be the same, because the movies are based on Tolkien and what is this based on?<P>I'm not too sure if I'm coming across very clearly here, but that is probably the best that I can put it; sorry if I didn't give you a very solid opinion...but then again, I can't give you an extremely exact opinion because I haven't seen the movie and I try not to "judge a book by its cover" so we'll just have to see I guess.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!<P>This isn't happening.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Out of curiosity, I visited the Ancanar site. Wow! I never thought I'd see Elves portrayed in a way that disregards Tolkien's descriptions entirely. I completely agree with VanimaEdhel about the haircuts. These elves look like Roman soldiers to me. Of course that's just my opinion. I wonder whether Tolkien's Middle Earth would be recognizable in this movie, since the elves certainly wouldn't be recognized as elves unless someone actually informs you that they are elves. This may come off to be a bit close-minded, but personally I think that Tolkien's work is magical enough without having other people creating new, unrecognizable versions of it.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:09 PM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
The Eye

Why is that chick on the website wearing make-up better suited for a punk-rock concert? Did they employ Bobbi Brown in Middle Earth?<P>I am trying to be open-minded here, but still, the one word that repeatedly kept popping into my head as I looked around the website was <I>lame</I>. <P>Beyond <I>lame</I>, actually. Looks like something a 12-yeard old would come up with in his spare time between picking his zits and reading his Tolkien.<P>I will withold final judgement until the movie comes out, but I have a bad feeling about this one.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:18 PM   #7
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can hardly believe this. This has got to be some kind of joke! I almost laughed out loud when I read the character descriptions...how on earth did this guy get rights to film a fanfic??<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 01-19-2003, 09:38 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

This looks to me like a truly dreadful attempt to cash in on the success of the LotR films.<P>As a general rule of thumb, if you don't recognise anyone on the cast list, it's unlikely to set the world alight.<P>And have you noticed that there is not even a hint on the website of what the SFX might be like?<P>I may be wrong, but I'm not holding my breath ...
Old 01-19-2003, 11:14 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

There was another thread about this movie a while back. Unfortunately, I think it got deleted in the pre-TTT clensing. I looked around the home page then and wasn't impressed...<P>Anyway, what I want to say is that I love your thread title, VanimaEdhel. Does this star Katarina Witt? Those things usually do....<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-19-2003, 11:19 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, this will not start a trend of Fan-fic based films. Because most indepedent filmakers don't have enough money to make a movie that a lot of people would go too. These stories are fantasies, so that means made up lands (or places), which equals a lot of money.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:50 AM   #11
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ...and perhaps one day Ancanar will earn a place next to the Turin's and Tuor's of this world. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:47 AM   #12
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I remember hearing about this and visiting the website nearly two years ago. I don't think I'll bother with a return trip. It looked terrible. <P>I have to say though, that beyond ripping off the language (as severl books have done, more out of unoriginality than in homage), I can't see many similarities to the Beleriand described in The Silmarillion. <P>I'll go to see the movie if I get a chance, but there is no way I'll consider it a part of Tolkien's world. No more than I consider The Sword of Shannara books. This movie is just more proof that all modern fantasy erupted from one source.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:53 AM   #13
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ancanar is currently in post-production. The film will be presented to various studios and distributors for aquisition, as well as possible screenings at film festivals in Los Angeles / New York theaters for 2001/2002. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, seems like they're either not doing it anymore, or seriously delayed. Let's hope for the former.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:41 AM   #14
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Please people, lay off. This is an independent film, not some major big budget movie. Stop comparing it to the movies out now.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:50 AM   #15
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have serious doubts about this movie. It's scheduled release date was 2002, we are now in 2003 and still no movie, and wouldn't they have announced any delay on the website. <P>Also the site and story make no mention of Tolkien or Middle Earth except for somewhere in the Welcome section. No mention is made about where in Middle Earth the story takes place.<P>So this is clearly an attempt to hitchhike on the succes of LotR by saying that this movie takes place in Middle Earth .
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:23 AM   #16
deedlit

Sting

<P>A CHEAP RIPOFF!
Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #17
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

No, they do mention Tolkien and Middle Earth elsewhere on the site. You probably didn't even look past the first page
Old 01-20-2003, 09:48 AM   #18
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Come on guys, let's see what happens before we shoot it down. I admit, I don't have my hopes set too high, but ya never know...<P>So the costumes and makeup are having some technical difficulties, but are we considering what period in ME history we're dealing with? Maybe the fashion changes...<P>I just wonder what Tolkien would have thought about this! And now I'm not surprised that the family didn't want a movie made of it in the first place, if it's going to start a chain of fan-fics like this!<P>*trying REALLY hard to keep an open mind*

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:03 AM   #19
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

C'mon...your whining about costumes and make-up? Remember, independent film, independent budget. We've all been spoiled so much by the movies out now
Old 01-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #20
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a dumb idea. It doesn't even look real. It seems like a joke. I mean, look... the character names are so similar to the <I>real</I> ME names... I swear! I think I could have come up with this. And the Valley of Rammoth or whatever doesn't even exist, does it? He probably didn't even do any research before he started on this. I think I'm going to cry...<P>EDIT: Okay, I gave it a second look; maybe it isn't going to be so terrible... but it does seem a bit cheap.<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #21
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

*Rips out her own eyeballs and jumps out of a window*<P>How? How? How could they do this! This must must must be a joke!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:14 PM   #22
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'll try to keep an open mind, but it is spooky (and I'm not talking about the production values).<P>It does look like someone just wrote a fantasy flick and now their sticking Middle Earth on it. I guess we'll have to wait and see, so I'm reserving judgement for now (that's for a vendgeful god to do ). <P>I'm assuming they got the copy-right to use the word Middle-Earth in their promos from Tolkien Industries, or would that be assuming too much. <P>Editted to add: You know, there are so many real Tolkien stories of which not much more then the basic plot and characters exists. Wouldn't it be cool for someone to tackle on of them instead?<P>H.C.<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 01-20-2003, 12:58 PM   #23
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Like some others here, I'm trying to keep an open mind about this. <P>I'm not going to condemn it yet, because of course, I haven't seen it. My first impression was it looked low-budget. I didn't even realize there were elves in there for one, so the costume/appearance design could use some help. <P>But this guy is a new director (or at least I've never heard of him) and therefore his movies may not be the best right now. Who knows, he might be the next George Lucas. Now I know saying that is going to the extreme, but let's not be too hasty to deal out 'death and judgement'. At least give it a chance. <P> ~*Laialthriel*~
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #24
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I guess it's just another fan-fiction by somebody with more money than those who write it and post it here. Although most of the fan fic here is pretty respectful of Tolkien's original vision. <P>I went to the site, but didn't explore it throroughly. On first glance it struck me as just another fantasy with elf characters, which aren't Tolkien creations.<P>There are copyright issues if they bring in names and creatures Tolkien created apart from those of ancient legend (dwarves, elves, etc.)? If it's inspired by the same "mists of time" age and legendary creatures Tolkien used without incorporating the elements of the world he created, then it's just another fantasy piece albeit "Tolkien inspired."<P>If they are using hobbits, names from Middle Earth, etc., they are using them by permission or they are vulnerable to lawsuit. Tolkien was pretty protective of his creation. It would surprise me if those managing Tolkien's creative estate would allow use of copyrighted material. I would think the Jackson movies would have yielded profits enough without sanctioning this sort of departure.<P><BR>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: greyhavener ]<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: greyhavener ]
Old 01-22-2003, 02:20 PM   #25
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ACKK! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! They all have SHORT hair! SHORT hair! *runs around in circles* NO!!!! <P>~Hirilaelin<P>P.S. RATE ME PLEASE! <p>[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Hirilaelin ]
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 02:53 PM   #26
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yuck! Cheap production for easy money. Looks like they used to make TV serials, the type like 'Tribe' if you've heard of it, before this. The stills are horrid! Someone's trying to make a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad copy. Someone who has no idea. Have they even read the books!?
Old 01-22-2003, 04:49 PM   #27
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Wow: I hadn't had time to come and check the response to this. I thought it would be just another thread of mine that disappeared into the Mists for all times.<P>I just found a new bit of horribly unsettling and terribly startling information from <A HREF="http://www.xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movie/news_0000/344.html" TARGET=_blank>this random site I found on google.com</A>. It says, and I quote:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I am happy to say, to those particular on the subject, that the Elves in Ancanar do not have pointy ears. It is our task to create a physical presence for this great race in the style which Tolkien always envisioned, and keep the light of Valinor burning in their eyes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ummm...did he forget to read the part about the "mallorn-shaped ears"? If you click on the link, it takes you to everything he said (basically he had a big pointless preamble before stating that one little tidbit of annoying information).<P>And I found an interview here at <A HREF="http://www.scene360.com/interview/interview_sambalcomb.html" TARGET=_blank>Scene 360...whatever that is</A> where they said:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> From your notes on the early days of lining up support for "Ancanar," it seems that the Tolkien Estate was less than cooperative — pretty big blow to your plans. How did you stay so focused? <P>Originally, the project was "Elessar," which followed the early days of Aragorn. Saul Zaentz said no (mainly because New Line Cinema retained the rights to many more years), so the project stopped. It was depressing, not being able to proceed on something that I was very passionate about. A few months later, a new story started emerging, that was inspired by some of the events told in The Silmarillion. To make sure I couldn't use the actual names and places, I contacted the Estate — very quickly I was turned down. Unfortunately, they do not want to release the rights to The Silmarillion and Lost Tales...ever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That answers a lot of questions I've heard. Why couldn't they have let him do "Elessar"? That would have been more Tolkienesque, I believe. And no Silmarillion...ever? Well, I guess it's for the best. It is such a complex story, moviemakers would only ruin it.<P>Wow: the more I see of this, the more I'm starting to resent this guy. I was planning to be open-minded, but I've been learning so much about it, researching for this thread, that I'm really starting to get annoyed with Sam R. Balcomb.<P>And, about the makeup: I am a 15-year old, so I am fairly poor, yet I managed to get myself dressed up as an Elf for Halloween. Gelatin ears are cheap and easy to make, you can find suitable dresses in almost <I>any</I> thrift shop if you do not have money, and it is easy to <I>make</I> such dresses as well. Hiring actors that look like Elves should not really be that hard. Just let the men grow their hair out if you do not have time for wigs, and if you straightened my hair, even I would have the perfect Elf hair (not straightened, it looks like Cate Blanchett's Galadriel hair). So there are no excuses for problems with costuming and haircuts.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Being read The Lord of the Rings for the first time when I was young, I was curious as to why Professor Tolkien never mentioned the Elves' traditional pointed ears. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It might be more encouraging if the man understood grammar. "Being read ..."?<P>But, more encouragingly, these links all date back to 2000/2001, so might we hope that this film will never see the light of day.<P>One point though - is it cast in stone anywhere that Elves have to have long hair?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:44 PM   #29
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One point though - is it cast in stone anywhere that Elves have to have long hair? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think it is more the hairstyles they have in this movie. They all look like teen heartthrobs with perfectly trimmed, fairly short sideburns and about half and inch of hair, which, to me, looks like they put a tube of gel into it. That is not an old-fashioned hairstyle of any variety. They look like the guys in my school, actually.<P>I thought I also remembered them saying something about the long hair of Elves and all that...if not, they would certainly not be that well manicured with their hair and the like.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:53 PM   #30
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> they would certainly not be that well manicured with their hair and the like. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Legolas - not well manicured??!!??
Old 01-23-2003, 08:54 PM   #31
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I really try not to put down a movie before I see it. I've done that to books and movies before and ended up loving them (I admit I did that to LOTR ).<P>I am rather disappointed with the hair, makeup, and costumes, though. It's as bad as the hair, makeup, and costumes in the movie, Dungeons and Dragons (and that movie seemed way too Americanized).
Old 02-08-2003, 08:52 PM   #32
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is that guy on the front page supposed to be an elf? I know there have been debates about how the immortal race is supposed to look, but this is somehow lacking the grace and beauty of PJ's portrayal. No pointed ears, short hair, and an EARRING?! It looks like the live action version of Disney's Treasure Planet *gag*<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In my dreams do the gulls fly above grey waters. I have not seen the sea, and yet it calls me from afar. The journey there will no doubt mean leaving my home... I do not wish to see the sea."<P><BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Think they said "See the sea" enough in that quote? Maybe I'm just used to Legolas, Arwen, etc, but this looks way too kiddish/anime for me

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #33
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

I'm a close-minded donkey, but this movie is horrible idea! In the end it will become some terrible mockery of Tolkien's work and people really shouldn't buy into this kind of thing.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #34
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

NO COMMENT! <P>Ahhhhhhhhhhh! I can't stop myself. This movie is going to start a riot!!! Whew! <P>OK I'm better now. So maybe it won't start a riot but this is HORRIBLE. Pessime! That means really bad in Latin. <BR> <P>AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! <P>HEE HEE! I'm alright now.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #35
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds, looks and problably will be terrible.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 06:12 PM   #36
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Why are you still complaining about this movie? It's not like your ever going to see it
Old 02-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #37
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Sting

This movie does not seem to have the "feel" of Tolkien's world. It looks kinda funny, actually.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:48 PM   #38
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that they should have let them produce that movie Elessar that they wanted to do before. This really looks corny.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:30 PM   #39
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I agree, "Elessar" may have actually been decent, but excuse me for being rude but this movie looks like CRAP!!! Why didnt they just hire the Backstreet Boys to star in it(theyve been out of work for a while ) because thats what the "elves look like! If i do see this "movie" at the movie store ill rent it, but im betting ill cry at what that guy has done to Tolkiens ideas
Old 02-21-2003, 04:44 PM   #40
Minyataurien
Pile O'Bones

Minyataurien has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BR>This is probably the worse insult of LOTR that I have ever seen. I will not go see this and I hope other fans won't because that is just supporting it. The worst part is those elves. I seriously almost dropped dead when I saw some pictures. I, in my mind, will never consider it as LOTR, just a try-to-make-money joke of a movie.<BR>Chelsea