The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Who's your Sammy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Return of the King, Mount Doom

He bent over Frodo, rousing him gently. Frodo groaned; but with a great effort of will he staggered up; and then he fell to his knees again. He raised his eyes with difficulty to the dark slopes of Mount Doom towering above him, and then pitifully he began to crawl forward on his hands.

Sam looked at him and wept in his heart, but no tears came to his dry and stinging eyes. 'I said I'd carry him, if it broke my back,' he muttered, 'and I will!'

Come, Mr. Frodo!' he cried. 'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo dear! Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him where to go, and he'll go.'
This passage about Sam's carrying Frodo up Mount Doom reminds me of the familiar 'footprints in the sand' poem regarding Jesus Christ walking beside and sometimes carrying a man. That got me to wondering: Was there a 'Sam' in your life? Was there someone who, at times, helped you along your life journey, was there when you were down and even carried you (literally or figuratively) when you truly could not walk anymore?

Note that Sam's help never weakens Frodo, and when Frodo takes a wrong turn, Sam's not the one with the "I told 'e so" criticism that seeks more to hurt than teach.

I'm looking back through my life and think that I've spotted my Sammy. While I'm reminiscing the details, maybe I can read about yours.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm fascinated by my immediate thought regarding this question. Every face, sans one, that comes to mind in this scenario is that of someone exceptionally maternal (and undeniably female).

A beloved college friend whose purse might weigh as much as I do, and which contains everything needed to save lives in any imaginable way. She is an amazing cook. Oh, Mr. Frodo, I forgot: I've got rope and salt.

An old friend who always answers the phone, no matter when or where or why. Love, I'm dying. I'm claustrophobic, I'm covered in paint, I need to walk through the night with black coffee and deep reminisces of the condition of the human soul. Will you walk beside me so I'm not mugged while I let my mind destroy itself? Be there in ten minutes. I'm going alone. Of course you are, and I'm going with you.

Another friend whose house I'm sitting in. I'll probably be gone before you wake up. There's food in the kitchen, feel free to do anything. If you leave, leave the door unlocked so you can get back in. Don't forget medications, don't forget to eat. I'll be home around four. There might even be a bit of lembas in the cupboard.

My mama.

They, among others, are the practical minds in my life. While my head floats amidst clouds and steam, they hold the strings that keep me attached to this world. Don't forget to eat, you're going to be late for work, you might want to wash the chalk off your forehead before your interview, and did you remember to pay your bills this month? My Sams, who tote purses full of pain killers and bandaids and spare keys and "Of course I have sunblock." They're the ones who, at the end of every semester when my meal card lacks any money, make sure I still eat all of my meals in a timely manner. They're the ones who, when I collapse on dorm room floors, mourning professors who assign how-to books for creative classes, separate my books into piles: necessary, maybe useful, and locked-box-of-thoughts-we-try-to-forget. The ones who, as I whine about the fading away of the goth movement (or was that a trend? *sigh*), remind me that I can still purchase white face makeup online.

I can't understand how they have the sort of character necessary for what I would view as martyrdom. As I go through life trying to answer the two main questions - 'Why?' and 'Why not?' - in turn, they make sure all of the mundane bits of my life magically take care of themselves. And I can't understand how they're so good at it.

I suspect sometimes they (apart from my real mother) use me as practice for when they have kids of their own.

"You think what you're doing now is something?" I can hear them asking, one hand propped on a hip, "You weren't around when your Auntie Fea was young. Oooh the things that girl did. Would you believe she once decided that a brisk walk to the studio in three articles of clothing in negative wind chill weather was a good idea? Or maybe that time that boxers, a tank top, flip flops, and a winter coat seemed appropriate for a night time walk through snow in search of coffee... You put your hat on, missy, and I don't want any fuss."

"But if Aunt Fea did it--"

"And she'll TELL you just how cold she got. You want me to call her and ask?"

"But Mom..."

"If you don't dress for the weather, you'll just have to stay indoors."

"I'll bet you never said that to Aunt Fea..." I can hear the wee ones grumbling pubescently...

"Oh you want to make that bet? I did just that."

And they did.

Yep... Mama Sam.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The more I thought about it, the more I'm not sure I can pick out one perfect example of a Sam. Regardless, this did come to mind:

Her name is/was Laura. We met when we lived in adjacent apartments when I went to university. I lived far off campus as (1) it was cheaper and (2) I was never big on living in a 'hive-like' dormitory. Anyway, so one night I ventured forth and ran into my older grad student neighbor. Within an hour we hit it off, and became fast friends when I tried to throw her into a dumpster (I was more ornery back then - see avatar). Couldn't climb the side of the dumpster while throwing her over, and so she never went in, which in retrospect was a good thing as it may have not gone well.

So we talked through the night, and continued to do so when schedules permitted. We also would take long walks at night in the back wood sticks in which we lived. She and I would speak of those things that were current, or in some moments, those things that were close to our hearts. She and I were lonely, school was 'fun' and so we took solace in our walks. Our relationship was platonic as I was chasing at Tinúviel's heels at that time and so if there were 'something else,' it wasn't apparent to me. People thought we were a 'thing,' but we weren't, but regardless were very close.

And like Sam she even carried me a few times pig-a-back - she was my sized and very athletic (so don't complain) - and I returned the favor. We became so close that it was almost as if we could read each other's minds, and we used to mess with our roommates' heads using this ability. Also, she'd join us when we kicked around a hackeysack, and I would ride her bicycle around inside her apartment when I felt the need to be particularly annoying. Laura understood.

Well, all good things must come to an end. The year after, I moved to another remote spot outside campus, and she had already started dating someone - they may have even started talking marriage (like Sam and Rosie) - and so we saw less of each other, then not much at all. After graduating we lost touch, and I actually traveled West, but not on a boat. Where she is now, I'm not sure, but maybe one day we will meet again.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Sounds like Harry and Hermione to me, al and Molly Weasely, Fea.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Fascinating question, Alatar, and fraught with the potential for all kinds of answers.

For myself, though, the only Sam I can come up with is my younger brother, two years younger, and pretty much my sidekick for our first twelve years or so. Not that we ever really got into perilous or world-weary situations (and I'm not sure he'd have been much of a Sam, if we had)...

Actually, I almost have to wonder if I'm more of a Sam in this context, than a Frodo...
Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I'm fascinated by my immediate thought regarding this question. Every face, sans one, that comes to mind in this scenario is that of someone exceptionally maternal (and undeniably female).

When i am thinking about this questions all the faces, which come to my mind (but one), are male. I am male myself. May be that is why.

Now one of this one is really Sam, but i think some are Sam-like in a way or another. (actually Sam can be very narrowminded sometimes, i am happy my friends are not like that. I guess Sam would hate me)

I have (used to have) a good friend. His name is Christian. (I am from Germany, this name is very common over here, i am just telling you because people from other countries always think his name is odd). My name is Christopher. So people called us big Chris and little Chris. I was little Chris. Actually i am one year his senior.. but people always think he is the older one.

however the very first day he saw me big one planned to adopt me. I did not know that back then. I had just moved to another place and it was my first day in the new school. I was scared, i missed my old home. Somehow that evoked his "maternal" instincts.

He came to me smiled at me showed me his trading carrds (back then boys in my country used to trade cards of soccer players) and he let me chose the most beautiful card and gave it to me.

I always hated the bread i had in my lunch box, so i always threw it away and we always shared his.

He married very very young, started his own business (a party service). His wife is pregnant withg his fourth kid now. I on the other hand was fired from two different jobs. Went to college and i am now in the process of earning a degree similiar to your masters degree. We do not see regular anymore... but when we do he still is feeding me. He always brings some food when he visits. As if i did not have any food of my own... and he always goes "do you sleep enough? do you eat enough? You look/tired/pale/cold/frightened/(...)/fill in the blank. " Actually i LIKE this. Other people would hate this, but i like it.

Then there is another friend of mine. His name is Titus. He always cheers me up, when i have a sad moment. Actually you cannot be with him for more then half an hour and still feel sad. He is just to happy and cheerful and brave himself. Wehenever i told him there was no hope (for whatever reason) he made a stupid joke about it. I do not know why, but that helped me a lot. When i am alone i sometimes feel hurt to the core and hopeless and depressed and i am taking m,yself very serious then. Think about suicide... i am taking myself to serious. when i am with him there is nothing serious and that makes me feel better.

And i am thinking of my aunt and uncle. I live with them and they love me and spoil me and thread me like a kiddie. I am a grown up man now. But they still bake a cake for my birthday, my auntie still scolds me when i go out without my jacket on a cold day.

writing this lines i think that may be i am not grown up enough. However. i am happy and thankful for my Sams.

but however... i think a real Sam would not like me. To his mind i would be an odd person.
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Great thread idea alatar. There's actually 2 that come to mind.

First is my sister who's more like my doctor, looking out for my health and well-being. 'Have you taken your plavix today?' 'You know the doctor told you no more coffee. If you have a heart attack thats your own fault.' Or if I'm pushing myself too much, trying to do too much, she's always the one to make sure I have some relaxing time for myself. The 'You go and rest, I'll take care of this' type. I do get annoyed, since I'm a stubborn jack, and it's annoying having someone standing over you saying 'No, you can't do this...you can't eat that...etc' But I realize she just doesn't want anything bad to happen to me. And since I don't look after my health, I greatly appreciate my sister who has the patience to put up with it.

My other Sam, was a friend I met in college. And she's been my closest friend for...oh man probably 17-18 years now. It's hard to explain the friendship, because we are very intense, and when we are together we often have bad sailor mouths. So, it's really hard to get the full effect without using the proper 'adjectives.' But, I will edit myself and try to explain it as best as I can.

Classic example, we are both very competitive over our guitar hero, especially in 'face off mode.' I'm surprised she hasn't taken the cordless one and smashed it over my head, and she's probably just as surprised that I haven't taken the one with the cord and strangled her.

But, the thing I value most about our friendship is the honesty. Even though it can be brutal sometimes, and sometimes we really don't want to be told the truth. The bottomline is, it's the best, and probably why we've had such a close friendship all these years. Because we both know, if one of us is doing something wrong, the other is going to say so. We ask eachother all the time 'Am I making a mistake?' 'Have I done anything wrong?' And with those questions we can get brutally honest, but neither of us believe in beating around the bush or feeding eachother crap to step through, and I value that the most.

It's interesting that Sam is actually Frodo's servant, yet Sam is so willingly. He doesn't mind being the 'servant' and calling Frodo 'Master,' beacuse he truly does love his Master.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Great thread idea alatar. There's actually 2 that come to mind.

First is my sister who's more like my doctor, looking out for my health and well-being. 'Have you taken your plavix today?' 'You know the doctor told you no more coffee. If you have a heart attack thats your own fault.' Or if I'm pushing myself too much, trying to do too much, she's always the one to make sure I have some relaxing time for myself. The 'You go and rest, I'll take care of this' type. I do get annoyed, since I'm a stubborn jack, and it's annoying having someone standing over you saying 'No, you can't do this...you can't eat that...etc' But I realize she just doesn't want anything bad to happen to me. And since I don't look after my health, I greatly appreciate my sister who has the patience to put up with it.

It's interesting that Sam is actually Frodo's servant, yet Sam is so willingly. He doesn't mind being the 'servant' and calling Frodo 'Master,' because he truly does love his Master.
Do you have trouble with your heart then?

I have asked myself why Sam, calls Frodo master. I would not call him master anymore (i never called anyone master in my life....)
Old 09-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Do you have trouble with your heart then?~smeagollives
Aye, I think it's more with genetics, but my doctor just had to say 'lay off the caffeine.' Anyway, my grandpa, my father, and his brother have all had bad blood pressure and a little while ago I had some trouble with that.

Quote:
I have asked myself why Sam, calls Frodo master.
Sam was at first Bilbo's servant, and then when Bilbo leaves everything to Frodo, this means Sam now becomes Frodo's servant. So, you'll notice that Sam calls Frodo always 'Mr. Frodo' or 'Master.' What's really interesting is Gollum actually calls Frodo 'Master' as well.

Welcome to the 'Downs, enjoy!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Aye, I think it's more with genetics, but my doctor just had to say 'lay off the caffeine.' Anyway, my grandpa, my father, and his brother have all had bad blood pressure and a little while ago I had some trouble with that.

Sam was at first Bilbo's servant, and then when Bilbo leaves everything to Frodo, this means Sam now becomes Frodo's servant. So, you'll notice that Sam calls Frodo always 'Mr. Frodo' or 'Master.' What's really interesting is Gollum actually calls Frodo 'Master' as well.

Welcome to the 'Downs, enjoy!

I am sorry to hear about your blood pressure!

Still i do not understand why he has to call him "Master"... i used to work as a gardener a time ago. I never called my boss "Master"... ... but may be it was different "back then" (i know it is not a time that really existed... but i always think of all of this happening in another time).