Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Red Flows the Sirannon Planning Thread

*** FIRST POST FOR THE IN-PLAY RPG DISCUSSION THREAD IS POST #194 ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This planning thread is for finalizing an RPG proposal owned by Durelin.

At the present, only these people will post to this thread:
  • Durelin - game owner
  • Pio - moderator
  • Child of the 7th Age - moderator

• Alcarillo
  • Amanaduial the archer
  • Arestevana
  • Arry
  • Boromir88
  • Captainof Despair
  • Encaitare
  • Envinyatar
  • Esgallhugwen
  • Firefoot
  • Folwren
  • Garen Lilorian
  • Gwydion
  • Kath
  • Mithalwen
  • Nurumaiel
  • Orofaniel
  • Seth Cotton
  • Sleepy Ranger

----------

I'll add names as interested players have checked in with Durelin or with me.

All other comments will be deleted.

~*~ Pio, Shire Mod

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-09-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Working Titles for Game (and those who expressed a preference):
  • Farewell to the Elvensmiths - Aman
  • Siege of Eregion
  • Sack of Ost-in-Edhil
  • Doom of the Mírdain - Enca; Aman
  • Red Flows the Sirannon - Pio

Open for suggestions, preferences.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-24-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Story Background:

1.) History

When the Blue Mountains broke apart and the Dwarf-city of Nogrod collapsed, Dwarves escaped to lesser dwellings, and eventually many went east to Moria, and arrived there around SA 40.

Early in the Second Age, most of the Noldor and many of the Sindar went West, establishing the new city of Avallónë on Tol Eressëa. Many of the Sindar that remained in Middle-earth went east and joined the Silvan Elves in their scattered woodland dwellings.

The Noldor moved to the land west of the Ered Luin, which had once been known as Lindon. After the Gulf of Lhûn was formed, the two portions of Lindon were named Forlindon (North Lindon), in which Gil-galad ruled; and Harlindon (South Lindon), in which Círdan ruled.

Celebrimbor moved from Lindon east into Eriador with many Noldor, reaching Eregion (Hollin), and founding Ost-in-Edhil. Close friendship grew between the Dwarves in Moria and the Noldor of Eregion until the War of the Elves and Sauron.

When Sauron established his dwelling in Mordor because of his fear of the growing power of the Númenóreans and their increasing presence in Middle-earth, he began to seek after the elves. He was refused entrance by Gil-galad into Lindon, but was received by the Elven-smiths at Eregion, where the rings of power were begun around SA 1500. Celebrimbor created the three greatest rings (Narya, Nenya, and Vilya) alone, finishing them in SA 1590. Around SA 1600, Sauron forged the Master Ring, but his deceptions were revealed and the War of the Elves and Sauron began.

Sauron invaded Eriador and attacked Eregion in SA 1695, and though Elrond was sent to aid the elves in Ost-in-Edhil, Eregion was destroyed, with Celebrimbor killed, before he reached it in 1697. The Dwarves of Khazad-dûm and the Silvan Elves of Lórinand (Lorien) aided Elrond’s forces in fending off Sauron’s forces, but they were forced to retreat, and the gates of Moria were shut.

Elrond went north, escaping with the remaining Noldor, and built Imladris. But by SA 1699, Sauron had overrun Eriador, and Rivendell (Imladris) was besieged, Sauron declaring himself “Lord of the Earth”. Númenor came to the aid of Middle-earth, a huge fleet sent by Tar-Minastir joined forces with the elves at Lindon to drive Sauron out of Eriador.

Concerning Moria: When Morgoth was thrust through the Door of Night, his few creatures that survived his destruction scattered. Among these was the only Balrog mentioned in later times: the one who escaped to Moria, and was discovered there by the dwarves in the Third Age.

2.) Geography

Eregion was located between the Glanduin and Bruinen Rivers in Southeastern Eriador to the west of the Misty Mountains near the West gate of Moria. Many holly trees grew there, its name meaning “holly-region” in Sindar. Imladris is located north and slightly east of Eregion, in a hidden valley just outside the north east corner of the Angle (the land between the Mitheithel and the Bruinen) amidst estuaries of the River Bruinen, also known as the Loudwater.

----------

MAP of game area

----------

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-23-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Important Dates

Foundation of Eregion: SA 750
Three Rings completed in Eregion: c. SA 1590
Sauron forges One Ring: c. SA 1600
War of the Elves and Sauron begins and the Three Rings are hidden: SA 1693
Eriador is invaded and Elrond is sent to Eregion: 1695 SA
Eregion is destroyed and Celebrimbor is killed, Imladris is founded: SA 1697
Sauron overruns Eriador: SA 1699
Tar-Minastir sends a great navy from Numenor to Lindon, Sauron is defeated: SA 1700
Sauron is driven out of Eriador: SA 1701
Old 06-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Basic Storyline:

Sauron has invaded Eriador, and laid siege to the city of Ost-in-Edhil, the greatest city of Eregion. The Noldor who dwelt there in friendship with the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm were forced to garrison in Ost-in-Edhil and endure the assailment with help from the Dwarves, knowing they would not be able to hold out against the forces of Sauron. Gil-galad sent Elrond with aid from Lindon, but it is a long time before they reach Eregion. The Elves of Eregion are waiting for some kind of relief from Elrond and his forces, though only so that some of their people may escape.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

The purpose of the story is to: Withstand Sauron’s siege upon Ost-in-Edhil until Elrond’s forces arrive.

This means we will know the story is over when: Elrond’s forces arrive and the surviving Noldor may retreat north.

Starting Location: Ost-in-Edhil
Likely Destination: Outside Ost-in-Edhil, escaping
Old 07-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I should think the Orcs could run their own little story line until Ost-in-Edhil is actually besieged.

War of the Elves and Sauron begins and the Three Rings are hidden: SA 1693; Eregion is invaded, Troops of Orcs make their way along the southern edge of the White Mountains - harassing the southwestern parts of Gondor.

By 1695 Sauron is intent upon putting Eriador under his dominion. Easterlings and Southrons are coming into Barad-dur. He has gathered the creatures of Morgoth into Mordor. The armies of Mordor are already sweeping westward and doing battle with any who stand in their way. Their final target will be Lindon.

The outlying areas of Eregion have already been under attack and those refugees are coming into Ost-in-Edhel.

I think the Orcs could run a story line perhaps describing the build up of troops in Mordor, their thoughts on Sauron who is now in residence in Barad-dur (how is he in comparison to their old boss - Morgoth, etc); what do they think of their immediate leaders; what do they think of the Men from the south and east who are joining him; etc. And then move out along the White Mountains heading for the Gap of Rohan and then north over Eregion and finally coming to Ost-in-edhel for the siege. There should be plenty of opportunity for them to be quite bloodthirsty.

Just a suggestion . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-05-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

I'm not an orc, but it sounds like a good suggestion to me.

As to more or less battle....I don't care much. But when you say battle, would that be one battle taking place on one day, or the entire seige/war thing that could last for sometime?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
Gwydion
Pile O'Bones

Gwydion has just left Hobbiton.
And from the mist emerges....

Wow this is cool! Here goes:

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? 0

List them, please:

Please note you may play in only 2 (TWO) Shire games at one time. Exceptions to this may be made for this on a case by case basis by the Shire Moderators. (The Green Dragon Inn DOES NOT count as a game for this.)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gwydion's character

NAME: Alethian Eriam

RACE:Elf

WEAPONS:Second Age elven-sword,dagger of the Noldor, Bow of the Galadrim, and quiver of arrows.

APPEARANCE: 5'10", dark hair, bright grey eyes, fair-skinned, lean, compact runner-like body. Uses all senses to the utmost possibility.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Far-sighted, strong, wise, small amount of arrogance.

HISTORY: Alethian has lived most of his life in Lorien and has mainly lived his life defending Lorien from the forces of evil. Tries to help all the elves and bolster all defenses, was once an aid to the Lady Galadriel, a great honor indeed and was sent to help Elrond of Imladris in the battle.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-26-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Durelin

*images from 'Field of Dreams' drift by . . . 'If you build it, they will come . . .'

I've added Kath (Orc); Firefoot (Orc); and Gwydion (Lorien Elf) to the posters list.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots We're quite a few steps closer...

We're really making this happen, aren't we? *does a little dance*

Kath and Firefoot - So glad to have you aboard!

Gwydion - Welcome! Please check your PMs.

Esgallhugwen - I'm so glad you're interested in playing! And don't rush too much on your bio...I'm not doing any better than you when it comes to bios and such...in fact, most likely I'm doing worse.

Encaitare - Oooh, yes, wonderful character! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Pio - "Red Flows the Sirannon"...I like it... You almost gave into the temptation, didn't you?

As a note, CaptainofDespair will be playing a cameo role as a big baddie, that will for now be known as 'Sauron's Champion'...lame title, but it's practical.

Aman - Finally responded to your lovely email, and, in so doing, I came up with a lot more ideas.

Speaking of these ideas...I will be editing this post ASAP, to add as many of them as I can as clearly as I can.

-Durelin
Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Yes, I almost put up "Blood on the Waters" as a possible title, but then managed to rein myself in.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #13
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hey all, I'm really excited about this game. I'm looking forward to playing with all of you.

It's interesting, actually. I've been thinking lately that an Orc might be fun to play, and this game comes along. So especial greetings to Encai and Kath, my fellow Orcs.

I'll be working on my bio here soon, as soon as I can come up with a good Orc name (it's always the names. I never get better at coming up with those).
Old 07-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya Red Flows the Sirannon Discussion Thread

*** THIS IS THE FIRST POST FOR THE IN-PLAY RPG DISCUSSION THREAD ***

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic Storyline:

Sauron has invaded Eriador, and laid siege to the city of Ost-in-Edhil, the greatest city of Eregion. The Noldor who dwelt there in friendship with the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm were forced to garrison in Ost-in-Edhil and endure the assailment with help from the Dwarves and the Elves from Lorien, knowing they would not be able to hold out against the forces of Sauron.

Gil-galad sent Elrond with aid from Lindon, but it is a long time before they reach Eregion. The Elves of Eregion are waiting for some kind of relief from Elrond and his forces, though only so that some of their people may escape.

The game may open with some background RP'ing to set the immediate historical background for the game.

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-09-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #15
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Story Background:

1.) History

When the Blue Mountains broke apart and the Dwarf-city of Nogrod collapsed, Dwarves escaped to lesser dwellings, and eventually many went east to Moria, and arrived there around SA 40.

Early in the Second Age, most of the Noldor and many of the Sindar went West, establishing the new city of Avallónë on Tol Eressëa. Many of the Sindar that remained in Middle-earth went east and joined the Silvan Elves in their scattered woodland dwellings.

The Noldor moved to the land west of the Ered Luin, which had once been known as Lindon. After the Gulf of Lhûn was formed, the two portions of Lindon were named Forlindon (North Lindon), in which Gil-galad ruled; and Harlindon (South Lindon), in which Círdan ruled.

Celebrimbor moved from Lindon east into Eriador with many Noldor, reaching Eregion (Hollin), and founding Ost-in-Edhil. Close friendship grew between the Dwarves in Moria and the Noldor of Eregion until the War of the Elves and Sauron.

When Sauron established his dwelling in Mordor because of his fear of the growing power of the Númenóreans and their increasing presence in Middle-earth, he began to seek after the elves. He was refused entrance by Gil-galad into Lindon, but was received by the Elven-smiths at Eregion, where the rings of power were begun around SA 1500. Celebrimbor created the three greatest rings (Narya, Nenya, and Vilya) alone, finishing them in SA 1590. Around SA 1600, Sauron forged the Master Ring, but his deceptions were revealed and the War of the Elves and Sauron began.

Sauron invaded Eriador and attacked Eregion in SA 1695, and though Elrond was sent to aid the elves in Ost-in-Edhil, Eregion was destroyed, with Celebrimbor killed, before he reached it in 1697. The Dwarves of Khazad-dûm and the Silvan Elves of Lórinand (Lorien) aided Elrond’s forces in fending off Sauron’s forces, but they were forced to retreat, and the gates of Moria were shut.

Elrond went north, escaping with the remaining Noldor, and built Imladris. But by SA 1699, Sauron had overrun Eriador, and Rivendell (Imladris) was besieged, Sauron declaring himself “Lord of the Earth”. Númenor came to the aid of Middle-earth, a huge fleet sent by Tar-Minastir joined forces with the elves at Lindon to drive Sauron out of Eriador.

Concerning Moria: When Morgoth was thrust through the Door of Night, his few creatures that survived his destruction scattered. Among these was the only Balrog mentioned in later times: the one who escaped to Moria, and was discovered there by the dwarves in the Third Age.

2.) Geography

Eregion was located between the Glanduin and Bruinen Rivers in Southeastern Eriador to the west of the Misty Mountains near the West gate of Moria. Many holly trees grew there, its name meaning “holly-region” in Sindar. Imladris is located north and slightly east of Eregion, in a hidden valley just outside the north east corner of the Angle (the land between the Mitheithel and the Bruinen) amidst estuaries of the River Bruinen, also known as the Loudwater.

----------

MAP of game area

Ost-in-Edhil
Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #16
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Important Dates
  • Foundation of Eregion: SA 750

• Three Rings completed in Eregion: c. SA 1590

• Sauron forges One Ring: c. SA 1600

• War of the Elves and Sauron begins and the Three Rings are hidden: SA 1693

• Eriador is invaded and Elrond is sent to Eregion: 1695 SA

• Eregion is destroyed and Celebrimbor is killed, Imladris is founded: SA 1697

• Sauron overruns Eriador: SA 1699

• Tar-Minastir sends a great navy from Numenor to Lindon, Sauron is defeated: SA 1700

• Sauron is driven out of Eriador: SA 1701
Old 07-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #17
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Second Age around the year 1695.

The storyline itself or plot covers: possible gaming of events leading up to the war between Sauron and the Elves of Eregion + the weeks during which the city of Ost-in-Edhil was besieged and destroyed.

Further note about timeframe for game from Durelin:

The game will not be starting in SA 1693, but rather 1695. Unfortunately, that means that we will not be dealing with the hiding of the rings, but that really cannot be fit in. Rather, the game will begin with the following:
  • Sauron will have invaded Eriador
  • A council in Lindon will decide to send a contingent under Elrond's command to Ost-in-Edhil
  • Lorien will send a small contingent to Ost-in-Edhil to participate in the defense
    • shortly, this contingent will be met by the dwarves who will join up with them and lead them through Moria
  • 'refugees' from the outlying lands of Eregion surrounding Ost-in-Edhil will be arriving at the city and the inhabitants will be preparing for battle, mustering forces
  • the baddies will not have entered the picture yet
(Note: if you'll notice, we must start the game in 1695 to be able to get things moving properly.)

At some point, we will be making a transition where we jump a period of time to get to the battle itself in 1697. We wil assume that the battle occured early in that year, and that we will be starting late in the year of 1695. A little over a year later, the battle will begin, but, of course, we will have to skip some of that. What I propose is this: an almost 'journal' style rush through time. We could begin with December of 1695, and then after a week, with a post from me, I suppose, the game would move to February of 1696, skipping every other month.

That could get really confusing, though. So, the simpler way is to simply say that we will spend about a month and a half (RL time) in 1695, and then jump to 1697. That jump would not land us in the battle immediately, but then there would be only a week or two (RL time) until the battle (unless of course we wanted to spend longer on the battle).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE:

This game requires a time commitment of 2 1/2 months from me, the game owner, and from the major players.

Depending upon ongoing interest in plot development, the game may extend beyond the 2 1/2 months, so that the storyline can reach a suitable conclusion, agreeable to the Owner and the other gamers.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #18
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Elves of Eregion

Durelin's character

NAME: Maegisil

AGE: 1552 at the time of the forging of the Rings, 1655 at the beginning of the War of the Elves and Sauron

RACE: Elf, dwelling in Ost-in-Edhil in Eregion

WEAPONS: Maegisil carries a long, slender elvish blade that he crafted himself, forging the blade from mithril gifted to him by his master Celebrimbor, and using wood from the mallorn, among the material traded from Lórinand. When in battle, he carries a large war shield bearing the crest of his lord, an emblem that Celebrimbor had designed himself, refusing to bear the Dispossessed of the House of Fëanor, as he had renounced the deeds of his house following the death of Finrod, caused by the many effects of the Oath of Fëanor, and only he remained of that house by the Second Age. Maegisil carries the sign of his lord in great respect and admiration, feeling it a part of his duty.

APPEARANCE: Maegisil stands quite tall, even for his people, at about 6’5”. He is not at all heavily built, but has notable muscles in his legs and arms, as a fine swordsman. He has a very agile and supple body, and is quick on his feet. His hair quite dark, nearing black, and is kept to fall only a few inches below his shoulders. He has grey eyes with a tint of green to them that can make his eyes look completely green if he is wearing a green tunic or the like. His face is a slender oval; his nose is perhaps slightly on the large side, but fitting his face; his lips thin; his chin rather prominent, and his ears rather small and, of course, pointed. (And though his ears are small, he has excellent hearing.)

Maegisil usually wears a shirt of a light, misty grey color under a tunic a dark blue that hangs to about midway down his calf. He wears fitted pants of the same colour as his shirt, black soft-leather boots, and a dark leather belt at his waist that his sheathed hunting dagger usually hangs upon.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Duty is very important to Maegisil, sometimes seemingly the most important thing to him, and it has the greatest effect on his personality. He is very passionate about the people and ideals that are close to him, often so much so that he can be very close-minded, and his judgment can be clouded by his feelings. He is undyingly loyal to those he loves, as well as his people and his beliefs, and can be naïve about this.

His passion and loyalty are a part of his overall strength of character, as an elf with a strong and loving heart whose perseverance drives him to great accomplishment as a warrior and a servant, and makes him always ready to rise to the occasion, no matter what is demanded of him. His faithfulness and his fervor and deep capacity to love are also a large part of his relationship with his wife, Sairien. He is very trusting of the people that he sees as trustworthy, but everyone must earn this view from him, and this is not an easy thing to do. When it comes to whom or what Maegisil places his deep-rooted faith in, he is not at all naïve.

He is also not at all the kind of person who loves ‘freely’. Perhaps it would strengthen his character if he was such a person, but it is in his nature to show love for a very select few, and to show only the amount of respect that seems proper for everyone else. He is most often outwardly stern and dutiful, and has been told to ‘loosen up’ on occasion. This appearance sometimes makes him initially disliked, though most often those who get more acquainted with him warm up to him quickly. Maegisil may not be an open book to anyone but Sairien and Celebrimbor, but he can easily lose his severity and show a warm face to others.

HISTORY: Born in SA 38, Maegisil was one of the first born in Lindon. He was raised as a both a warrior, a defender of his people, and as a craftsman, who could serve his people in many ways. In SA 750 he was among the younger, adventurous elves who accompanied Celebrimbor in the founding of Eregion. In those travels, Celebrimbor came upon the young elf practicing his swordsmanship (mainly, in his brashness, to show off what he had recently learned from an elder, more seasoned warrior – one of Celebrimbor’s personal guards), and examined the blade Maegisil was using, in curiosity. When the young elf informed the lord that he had crafted it himself, Celebrimbor became even more interested, and they spoke for a long time. This was, of course, not the last time they spoke, and it came that the elf-lord practically adopted Maegisil as a son.

In the many years that followed, he became more of a brother than a son, growing wise and strong in both mind and heart, as well as body, through the help and simply the observation of one such as Celebrimbor. His crafting skills were also drastically improved, as we was personally instructed by the elf-lord. Soon, Maegisil was appointed by the lord to a position in which he acted as a personal assistant to Celebrimbor, though his job was less like a servant’s and more comparable to that of a counselor, though Maegisil would never be as bold to consider it such. Around SA 1200, however, Maegisil began to counsel his lord less, as a person named ‘Annatar’ had arrived, and, following this, the elf-lord began to spend quite a bit of his time in the forge. Still, Maegisil saw much of Celebrimbor and aided him many a time until around 1500, when the elf-lord grew even scarcer. The one called Annatar was always coming and going, and by the early to mid 1500s, Maegisil did not see him at all, and was gladdened by this. He assumed that he would see more of his lord with Annatar gone. But he found himself to be wrong.

The Lord Celebrimbor still performed all his usually duties, and spoke with his friend Maegisil, but did so less and less, slowly. Late in the year 1590, Maegisil asked for the lady Sairien’s hand in marriage, as he had long been acquainted with and had spoken to her, as she was part of Celebrimbor’s court. But, soon after this, Celebrimbor disappeared for 6 days, working constantly in the forge. When he finally emerged, he acted strangely, speaking of Rings and of his creations. For years Celebrimbor hid what he had crafted, until late in 1692, when the Elves were on the brink of war with Sauron, who had grown much in power. Following this, he sent the Three to Lindon, where it was determined where to hide them, so that Sauron would never possess them. As Celebrimbor prepares for defending Eregion from Sauron’s forces, Maegisil aids him in every way that he can, and readies his sword for the defense of Ost-in-Edhil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Durelin's post ------- FIRST FOR THE GAME

The Three ~ A Prologue

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

In the Second Age of Middle-earth, deep within the heat of the forge, the rhyme was fulfilled. Sauron, under the disguise of one named Annatar, had come to the Elven-smiths, the Gwaith-i-Mírdain of Eregion. Dark magic bred deception, and Sauron the Deceiver seduced the Elves, taking on a body fair and majestic. The might of a Maia and the skill of the elven craftsmen brought into the world a new power, a power which few knew the true greatness of. It is unlikely that even its creators knew its full power, besides perhaps the great trickster, the servant of Morgoth. Might and authority, fueled by deep magic from the dawn of time, was poured into the molds in the shapes of rings, and these creations, the greatest of crafts forged by the Noldorin smiths, became the Rings of Power.

The magic of all nineteen of these rings, and one other, would be a part of Sauron’s greatest treachery. Only three would survive and make the journey to Valinor with their bearers. These were the greatest of the Rings, named Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, which had been forged by Celebrimbor himself, Lord of Eregion.

~*~*~*~

c. SA 1590

“It has been quite some time since I saw Lord Celebrimbor…” The Elf trailed off, an unspoken question hanging on the silence that followed. “It has been some time for me as well, Master Annúnfin,” Maegisil replied, speaking as if he was only lightly commenting, but answering his companion quite seriously. He knew it was important business when Annúnfin wished to speak with the Lord Celebrimbor, and when the Elf-lord had been absent from his normal duties for so long. “I will be sure to inform him that you wish to speak with him, when I do see him,” he finished, his last words bringing many thoughts to his mind. When…I hope that shall not be much longer.

It was difficult for Maegisil to explain to all those who wished to receive an audience with the lord that he could not even speak to his master, and had not been able to for many days; this was unexpected, as Maegisil had served Celebrimbor as the lord’s attendant for many years now. Though Maegisil would never be so bold as to say it, he was also a close friend, and an old friend, of the lord.

Celebrimbor had been spending almost all of his time in the forge, sweating over his work, and conversing mostly with the visitor, Annatar. The strange elf – at least, Maegisil believed he was an elf; he was certainly of a fair race, though it was impossible to say which he belonged to for sure – seemed to be some sort of a magician. What business this elf had with the Lord of Eregion was a mystery to Maegisil, as well as to all those who had never even had a chance to speak to the lord before, and those who knew him well. It was bewildering to all except those who worked in the forge with Celebrimbor and this ‘Annatar’, some of the greatest of the Noldorin craftsmen, second only to Celebrimbor himself. For almost seven days now the forges at Ost-in-Edhil had been burning, it seemed, day and night, and had been kept off-limits to most of the city dwellers. Maegisil had ventured to speak to his lord the previous afternoon, and had briefly watched several of the smiths at work. There had been much noise emerging at a constant rate from the forge for those past 6 days, so that Maegisil had barely been able to hear his own voice over the clamor, but now all was quiet, and only the barred doors told anyone that they were still hard at work. Hopefully, though, the silence meant that their task, whatever it was, was nearing completion, and Maegisil would no longer have to wait in his Lord Celebrimbor’s antechamber, spending hours pacing and straightening gemmed statues and chests, and delicately woven tapestries on the walls, and rich cloths over table-tops…none of which needed any straightening whatsoever.

Annúnfin muttered some kind of thanks with a slight bow of his head in simple respect, and turned to go. But Maegisil watched as the elf turned back in one swift motion and looked him in the eye, and he prepared himself for more questions that he could not answer. He was surprised when Annúnfin simply said, “I was pleased to hear you have found yourself a wife, Maegisil.”

Maegisil stumbled on his thoughts for a moment, his mouth open to reply but words coming out. Finally his mind caught up with his mouth and he responded. “Thank you,” he began, a little uncertain, and obviously caught off-guard by Annúnfin’s comment. “It has been wonderful, very wonderful.”

A small smile formed on Annúnfin’s face, his eyes full of an understanding that Maegisil believed he would never have. Master Annúnfin was decidedly his elder, and never left any doubt of this in Maegisil’s impression. The elder elf turned to go again, and this time, Maegisil watched him walk away through the large gilded doors that exited into the great hallway that led up to his chambers. Maegisil’s mind traveled to thoughts of Sairien, his wife. But he did not have long to dwell on these, as they were interrupted by the flinging open of the doors of the antechamber. Immediately Maegisil looked up from the patch of beautifully tiled floor he had been staring at, knowing before his eyes even had a chance to see who was entering the chamber that only one person had ever flung those doors open before, and normally in excitement.

“Maegisil! My dear Maegisil!” Celebrimbor was practically shouting, seemingly frantic with excitement, full of energy, and obviously quite happy to see the elf that he had just found waiting in his antechamber. “I have much to tell you!”

“As have I to tell you, my lord,” Maegisil responded, maintaining an outwardly calm and dutiful appearance, though he was full of happiness to see that his lord was quite safe and healthy, and to finally be able to speak with him. He also felt a certain amount of excitement following Celebrimbor’s entrance, matching the elf-lord’s manner.

“Please, Maegisil, there is no necessity for any ‘my lord’s. These are my chambers, and so you may call me what you please.” Maegisil knew this, though he did like showing what he felt was the proper respect, and was prepared to respond, but he was ran over by Celebrimbor’s words, which rushed out in his enthusiasm.

“But you must know…I have finished them, and they are the greatest of all things I, or anyone, has ever crafted. Perhaps they are great enough even to relinquish my cursed House’s honor, though I doubt there is anything even an immortal can do in this Age or any Age to come that would out-do the power of the Oath of Fëanor.”

The lord paused long enough for Maegisil to speak quickly, “What have you finished, my lord?”

In his haste, he had forgotten to leave off the ‘my lord’, but it seemed that Celebrimbor no longer cared, as he was too deep in thought, seemingly enthralled with this new accomplishment that he spoke of vehemently. “Why, they are the Three. They are the greatest of the Rings of Power, of all 19. Yes, 19, after 90 years. And I fear there must be more to come. They truly are like nothing this world has known, even in Ages past, even with the War of the Silmarils long behind us. Of course, the creation of most of the rings was made possible by Annatar, and now…” He trailed off, his excitement slowly turning from confusion to what could only be fear. That was not something Maegisil was accustomed to seeing on the face and in the eyes of the elf-lord.

“Now what? I do not understand…” Maegisil trailed off, realizing that he really had nothing to say, though there were hundreds of questions running through his mind.

“Now, I am afraid I have made a grave mistake. A mistake that will affect the lives of many in both this Age and the Age to come, perhaps even Ages to come. I am very afraid, Maegisil, very afraid of what I, and my craftsmen, have done, and I am even more afraid of what the one I know only as Annatar has done, and what he will do. O by the Valar, Maegisil! For the first time in my life, I do not know what to do.”

Maegisil felt very uncertain in the silence that followed; he was confused, as well as uneasy and afraid, though he did not even understand why he was at all at unrest, except for what he saw in the look in Celebrimbor’s eyes and what he heard in the tone of his voice.

“What should I do, my lord?” he asked, cautiously, breaking the silence.

“I do not…” he stopped in the middle of this thought, took a breath, collecting himself, and started again, his thoughts renewed, “Soon, the Three must go from here. They must be hidden; they cannot be kept here. Though Annatar is gone, and he has been gone for some time, they mustn’t be within his reach. There is no way to undo what has been done, but, though they seem a curse to me now, the Three will not leave the house of our people.”

~*~*~*~

c. 1600

Maegisil bowed before the Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn next to an elf he did not know the name of and their dwarf companions. He and this elf had traveled through Moria at the direction of the dwarves to exit through the eastern gate and make their way to Lorien, where they had recently been welcomed and led to Caras Galadon. Maegisil had been told very little by Celebrimbor, and was given only the instructions to guard his elf companion, and not bring any attention to themselves or their movements. Following orders, Maegisil did not ask the elf his name, and spoke to him only to make suggestions as to what paths they should take to avoid different obstacles of the land. Now that they had reached their destination, Maegisil did not speak at all.

The strange elf rose from his bow as the Lady Galadriel came forward. He turned to give Maegisil a look that clearly meant to stay out of his business. So Maegisil backed away to stand some distance from the elf, gesturing that the dwarves following him. Of course Viss Stonecut and his companions did not like this at all, and they grumbled a bit before joining Maegisil. Viss was the first to move, and the rest followed his lead. At least two of the dwarves present were certainly related to him, and younger, and obviously they held some kind of respect for him. There were only four dwarves, but even four of that race was enough to be quite the crowd, and they looked odd standing in a clump in the domain and presence of so many elves. Maegisil remained removed from them and watched in wonder as Galadriel accepted a small wooden chest from the unnamed elf. The Lady’s face was marvelously frightening as it scanned the faces of those who surrounded her, meeting Maegisil’s eyes for a moment. She did not smile as she had when she greeted them.

Suddenly she spoke, and spoke to all present. It seemed she was not as keen to hiding the proceedings. “Remember that there will always be light in Lorien, as I will bear this Ring, Nenya. You will always be safe here.” And as she raised her hand aloft just slightly, all present realized she had opened the chest and already donned what it contained. The beauty of Nenya startled them all, and left them full of wonder. Soon, far away upon the western shores of Middle-earth, the Elven-kings Gil-galad and Cirdan would wear the Rings Narya and Vilya, and the Three Rings for the Elven-kings, and Queen, would remain as powers of good in Middle-earth until they passed over into the West.

~*~*~*~

Late in the year SA 1695

Maegisil rushed up several flights of stairs only to stop and cautiously enter a pair of gilded doors, his mind filled with memories, all that he recalled from a day over a century ago. It did not seem that long ago, and yet the thought that the day he recalled was only several days after he had asked for his Sairien’s hand in marriage was nearly unbelievable.

Entering the chamber behind the gilded double doors, Maegisil found, of course, exactly whom he was looking for, reclining on a long couch and examining a game board with many small, flat, rounded stone pieces on it in designated positions. It was some kind of strategy game that the elf-lord had once tried to teach to Maegisil, praising how consuming it was and how much it put the mind in a struggle, forcing it to think as quickly as it could under pressure. Just what a general needed, he had said. As Maegisil had no interest in becoming a general, and simply wished to remain in his place at Celebrimbor’s side in battle, he had quickly given up on the game.

“My lord,” he began cautiously, interrupting Celebrimbor’s thoughts so that the lord’s head snapped up from the game board with a perturbed look on his face. His face softened quickly, though, and he asked Maegisil what had brought him here.

“Well, sir, we have received word from the King Gil-galad that the servant of Morgoth, Sauron, has grown in power enough that his armies have begun to terrorize the eastern part of these lands.”

“Sauron…much have I heard that name of late.” The elf-lord rose, a troubled look on his face, and began to pace. “He has even been in my dreams,” he paused in his pacing, and in his words, to look Maegisil in the eye, urgency written upon his face.

“It was only a matter of time before he would attack and strike back at our people.”

“But we still are in possession of the Three, and they are safe.” Maegisil cut in, reminding the elf-lord that there was at least one possible advantage.

“I can only hope that they will be more a blessing than the curse that they seem to be,” Celebrimbor quickly said in response to Maegisil’s statement, still unsure of whether or not the safe existence of the Three was in fact a good thing.

“They are not a curse as long as they are safe in the hands of Kings and a Queen of our people," the younger elf assured his lord. “And Lord Elrond has been sent to our aid with a considerable force,” Maegisil said, hoping to bring some kind of relief to his lord, uncertain of what the elf was so afraid of, and quickly growing afraid himself.

“It will be some time before he will reach us here, and Sauron will be moving quickly. Not too quickly – he is too wise for that. But his armies will arrive in Eregion, and they will march upon the gates of Ost-in-Edhil, and he will call upon me. But he does not know where the Three are, nor of the oath I have sworn…”

“We will be prepared for Sauron’s attack, my lord," Maegisil said, again trying to give his lord confidence in the situation. “Sauron is very strong, and our strength here does not match that of Forlindon and Harlindon, but there are many in Eregion that will fight for you.”

Celebrimbor laughed slightly, leaving Maegisil confused. It was almost a bitter laugh, and was the kind of laugh you hear from someone who is distressed and yet finds something to be darkly laughable. “I know you will fight for me, Maegisil,” the elf-lord said, “but I ask it of you and others to fight for our people, for their families.”

Maegisil only nodded, standing grave and silent before his lord, and recalling the day over century ago when Celebrimbor had first told him of the Rings. He was again afraid as he had been on that day, and when he looked at Celebrimbor, tall, fair, and brooding, he knew that the lord felt that same: afraid and uncertain. The biggest difference to Maegisil this time was the more prominent presence of Sauron. Since around the year 1200 of that age, word had it Sauron had been establishing his fortress in Mordor, and now the threat of the Dark Lord was even more of a reality, and all were learning to tremble slightly at that name, most likely to the pleasure of its bearer.

Celebrimbor asked Maegisil if he would bring the King’s emissary to him, feeling it of course proper that he receive them and speak to them himself. The younger elf quickly obeyed and left the elf-lord alone, deep in thought. The master of the Elvensmiths had much on his mind, and few of his thoughts were pleasant.

As he had sworn, the Three Rings, the greatest creations he had ever crafted, which he had hoped would be a blessing to himself and to his people, would never fall out of the hands of the Eldar, as they were hidden safely. They had been for close to a century, as he had long awaited the time when Sauron the Deceiver, or ‘Annatar’ as he had known him for a time, would strike with the power of his Ring. But the other rings were all in Sauron’s possession. Celebrimbor kept coming back to this thought, the knowledge of just how far the Deceiver’s power extended. But, as the elf-lord kept telling himself, he would never have the greatest, the Three. They would be a powerful defense for his people. Or so, at least, he hoped the future of these rings would unfold. I beg of Ilúvatar, let not the Oath of Fëanor mar this.

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-19-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:22 AM   #19
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Oro

Good posts!

I've moved us on to mid-winter in my latest post - getting the last of the troops to Mithlond . . .

- E -
Old 07-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Dwarves

Would one of you like to wake us up early in the a.m. (game-time) and get your party going?

~*~

Arestevana and Seth C

By the middle of next week, real time, can you have the Elves of Lorien entering the Nanduhirion Valley & nearing the southern edge of the Mirrormere. The Dwarves will meet you there.

~*~

Encai, Firefoot, and Kath

Did you want to do some posts before the battle happens?

A little info about The valley/dale:

Nanduhirion is what the Elves named the valley in which the Mirrormere (Kheled-zâram to the Dwarves) lies.

In Common Speech, it's the Dimrill Dale.

The Dwarves call it Azanulbizar.

----

The river that runs from the Mirrormere through Lorien is called The Celebrant by the Elves, The Silverlode in Common Speech, and Kibil-nâla by the Dwarves.

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-28-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #21
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

As in, early for us here humans and tomorrow (July 29) morning? 'Early' needs defining. We don't all live in the same time zones... I can get up at six, if that's what you mean, but it might be seven or eight to other people.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #22
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Oh, sorry! Should have been more specific . . . . . . EDITED the previous post!

I meant game-time . . . early morning for the Dwarves.

So . . . any of us troglodytes (in the best sense of the word, of course) can get us going on our next day in the game and at any time convenient for the writer in real-time.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #23
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

----------- Finis -----------

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~