The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2003, 02:19 AM   #81
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elucidating is due order.

Lyra Greenleaf, I wasn't calling you a fake mod, I just didn't want to come up with a separate category for you because I have no idea who you are.

Beren87, fun may be fun, but no downer is more important than any other. Each most resembles himself, and that's good enough.

Manardariel, I'm not offended. As I said to Beren87, though, the options you chose are not any more important than any of the other members. They all have their own particular thing to add. Your additions may be in the form of RPGs, the additions of another may be more literary in scope.

GaladrieloftheOlden, that is my point. I'm pretty sure you don't know everything, and I'm pretty sure Beren87 doesn't either. I would wager that neither of you have even a rough aproximation of everything, as I've never met anyone that does, even in a field as limited as The Lord of the Rings.

Diamond8, the problem is more that anybody was called "the king." The king is dead. Half a month shy of 30 years, now.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:52 AM   #82
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<tangent warning>

I will throw my 2 cents in only because this idea has been brought to my attention time and again as of late here at the Downs...

In the begining, when Burrahobbit, myself, and a few dozen other souls began congregating here, the sole focus was Tolkien discussion.

Now, as this thread [and many others] proves, the Downs itself, especially it's higher profile members are often the topic.

This strange, but I suppose predictable eveent, in a way has made of the downs a microcosm, or more aptly, a small little realm, and in this realm, we do have a King.

So while I may in some ways, lament the pre-occupation with the Downs itself [and I have been guilty of it, though rather fascinated at times] I must confess that just as in the Legendarium there is a hierarchy, so to we have one here.

Though I agree in the end, it is only the quality of the ideas/post that counts.

Quote:
Each most resembles himself, and that's good enough.
Well said.
<tangent over>

[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:22 AM   #83
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

BOO YA.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:40 PM   #84
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Tolkien is about more than just literature. No literature can be only about the words on a page for long, if it is to be truly loved. A world will grow up around it. People congregate here because the crave not only discussion on such a wonderful topic, but also because they're human, and therefore crave social interaction. They come to find people like themselves, people that they can relate to. The Barrow-Downs has become more than just a lofty place for discussion. We've had two marriages of members at this point, not to mention many a relationship and further drama. You can't expect it to stay as simply discussion for long.

Quote:
Though I agree in the end, it is only the quality of the ideas/post that counts
Excellent point, and those that were lofted by Manardariel are ones she respects for their abilities. Positevely nothing wrong with that.

So what I say to all is quite simply, stop over-analysing, and get back on topic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Edit:
Quote:
it's just not possible to keep him confined to his padded cell.
These walls..these walls. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:53 AM   #85
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Not to stifle or even slow the current conversation, but I thought I'd actually take one of these quizzes (Manardariel's), and it ends up I'm not me, I'm Estelyn [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 06:07 AM   #86
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

No, no, BW, you have that all wrong - you Barrow-Wight, me Estelyn!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:45 AM   #87
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow...I'm Esty on Manardariel's quiz. That's quite an expectation to live up to. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 08-20-2003, 03:00 PM   #88
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm. I got the Barrow-Wight. Strange, I didn't expect too. I guess I'm just that good... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:17 PM   #89
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Stifler!
Old 08-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #90
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Well, on the newer one on Quizilla, I got this:

Quote:
Wow, You're the Shire Double Act...Pio and Cami!! You're two of the coolest mods haunting the net, always funny and helpful. Your writing is beautiful, and you just ROCK!
Wow... so I'm two people at once... weird... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Haha, no I'm honored. Really.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:46 PM   #91
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I took the Quizilla test earlier today and got Cami and Pio, but then I just took it again a few minutes ago and got Esty. I suppose it depends on my mood. Who knows? I suppose the BDer I'm most like is...me!
I hope. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 08-20-2003, 11:07 PM   #92
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just took the Quizilla quiz, and it turns out that I'm Lyra Greenleaf. Cool, a Dryad...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 07:46 AM   #93
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I got the Barrow-wight! Joy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:59 AM   #94
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Am I completely blind? I've been looking for this Quizilla quiz for three days now and haven't been able to find it on the Quizilla site. Do any of you have the link? And are there any other Barrow-Downs Quizilla quizzes besides that one and the Barrow Downs Account one?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:00 PM   #95
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Here, Vanima: Which Barrowdowner are you most like?. It's on the second page of this thread, at about the middle, in one of Manardariel's posts. Enjoy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 08-28-2003, 07:15 AM   #96
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It turns out I am Beren87. Hm... I do spend time in the quiz forums, but not that much. And I am better at posting annoying quotes than answering. *hehe*
And when changing some answers (on quesions I wasn´t sure of) I was either Lyra Greenleaf or GaladrieloftheOlden.
Maybe not very me, but I am honoured! *smiles*
To be honest, I have no idea of what type I am. A mixture of everything perhaps?
Funny quiz though! As they always are...
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 02:44 PM   #97
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Congrats, you are Estelyn Telcontar! You really keep the Downs going...Books, Newbies, Movies- and you even have to RPG. Whatever you do, you do it with style and youre defintately awesome! We luv you!

I got Estelyn! Woo-hoo!

And silly me: I look all over the Quizilla site, and I don't think to check back in the post to see if there's a link.

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 08-29-2003, 04:53 PM   #98
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

People got me! People got me! How did you manage that? I got me the first time, then when I was trying to get the HTML code I kept getting Pio and Cami... strange that.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 08:28 PM   #99
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

I'm late to this, but Diamond, you and I must have rubbed off on each other back in REB1 days.

Yes, indeedy, I got ME, Bethberry. When I answered straight. Ish.

But about being stricter than The Shire, could that have something to do with being closer to Mordor? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bêthberry