The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up One Flew Over the Crebain's Nest

I just watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with Jack Nicholson, and (whoohoo) immediately recognised the actor who plays Billy Bibbit: it's Brad Dourif! I was like "Wormtongue! Mom, it's Grima!" Of course, my mother hasn't seen The Two Towers yet.... <BR>Anyhow, I enjoyed it a lot. As it said in the credits "Introducing Brad Dourif as Billy Bibbit", I'm assuming it was his first movie. Does anyone know the other characters' first movies? I'd like to see them as young inexperienced amateurs... they've improved so much.... *sigh*
Old 01-11-2003, 04:41 PM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i have to addmitt, it is pretty weird seeind elijah Wood in Flipper.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo Mortensen in Buffalo 66. <P>That's just <I>really</I> weird for me, because the character he plays in <I>Buffalo 66</I> is completely, completely different from Aragorn . . . it's just so unnerving.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Well, that wasn't his first movie (EW in Flipper). I think the first movie was a bit role as a kid playing a video game in <I>Back to the Future II</I><P>You can go to <A HREF="http://imdb.com" TARGET=_blank>IMDb.com</A> and look up any actor—extra or star—and see all the movies they have been in from first to current.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #5
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Wormtounge also did a bit for the computer game Myst III: Exile. He's quite nearly as creepy looking! <P>Chuckling,<BR>Iarwain
Old 01-11-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Brad Dourif also played the lead in a low-budget film version of Flannery O'Connor's "Wise Blood." From the out-there Southerner preaching the Church of Christ Without Christ to Wormtongue is...a long way . This movie was made about twenty-five years ago.<P>Viggo Mortensen - who can forget the Blouse Man in "A Walk On The Moon"? It was sort of amusing to see this itinerant late-60s guy suddenly turning into Isildur's Heir, but hey, he was good. <P>Ian McKellen - Amos Starkadder the Preacher (leader of the Quiverers) in "Cold Comfort Farm." (Hmmm, I'm sensing a crazy-preacher theme here). Best line: "BUT THERE IS NO BUTTER IN HELL!" Second best line: "You'll all burn." Hilarious. Also totally unrecognizable without the beard. <P>Strange to say, I've never seen Elijah Wood or Sean Astin in anything else, which is just as well for the LOTR experience . My parents were fairly strict about movies, and by the time they loosened up I'd passed the age where I wanted to see, say, "Flipper" or "The Good Son" - and to this day I've never bothered.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

It was weird but nice seeing Orlando in Black Hawk Down!

Celebmornie
Celebmornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:10 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Wasn't Brad Dourif also in "Eraserhead"?<P>Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee have been in countless films (as well as stage roles). I first saw Ian McKellen (Gandalf) in the 1970s in a very moving performance as a mentally handicapped man in an English TV drama, Joey. But he'd been going quite a while then. He also played the British MP, John Profumo, in Scandal.<P>Christopher Lee (Saruman) is of course best known for his roles as Count Dracula (in many a wonderful Hammer House of Horror film) and was the sinister head of the community in the Wicker Man (a fantastic film for any who haven't seen it). He's carved out a great career playing villains. <P>John Rhys-Davies (Gimli and Treebeard) was Indiana Jones' friend in Raiders of the Lost Ark - "They're digging in the wrong place, Indie". <P>Bernard Hill (Theoden) has been many English TV dramas (eg Boys from the Blackstuff - "Gissa job, and I'll smack those orcs for you" ), but I don't think that he's done much film stuff. <P>I must say that I was shocked to see Billy Boyd (Pippin) recently in a film about a teenage girl on a Scottish housing estate who was hanted by a ghost (I can't remember it's name). He played a shaven-headed and violent debt collecter who terrorised the girl and her mother with his two thugs. Not quite the fool of a Took that we all know and love.<P>[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]<p>[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Pipe

No, Saucepan Man, no, say it isn't so! Must...demolish...mental...picture...argh...<P>Ser iously, though, that would not be the kind of role Billy Boyd would want to show PJ in application for Pippin. "A bald psycho landlord and a young mischevious curly-headed hobbit...obviously quite similar roles. What d'you say, eh?"<P>Kalimac, I'd recommend watching Rudy for Sean Astin. It was a good movie, though it's been ages since I've seen it. The Good Son was good (aha) but not something I'd show to little kids. Macauly Culkin would have been enough to give me nightmares. Another EW film that really tickles my fancy is North. I've heard some people bad mouth it, but I found it really quite charming. I'll never look at beet borscht the same way again.<P>
Old 01-11-2003, 10:54 PM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I strongly suggest you watch Gandalf the Gay (*ahem*, sorry) make a pass at Brendon Fraser in the brilliant <I>Of Gods and Monsters</I>. It will hopefully make you take the actors a bit less seriously. For all of his brilliant acting ability in LOTR, Ian McKellen is still Ian McKellen and not Gandalf. Hopefully he doesn't fall victim to Alec Guinness Syndrome, where despite a long and distinguished career he is known by 90% of moviegoers as one character.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:35 PM   #11
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Recently I have seen Sean Bean as the head villain in the James Bond film <I>A Diamond Is Forever</I>. And as for Bernard Hill, he has, of course, played Captain Smith in <I>Titanic</I>, and just tonight I saw him as the inventor of gunpowder (didn't quite catch his name) in <I>The Scorpion King</I>. Viggo Mortensen was also in <I>A Perfect Murder</I>.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:30 AM   #12
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Since when is Viggo in <I>Buffalo 66</I>?<P>I have seen the blouse man! That was a good movie, but I saw Viggo do some things that I really didn't want to see him do!<P>The first time I saw Ian McKellen was in <I>Richard III</I>. I completely despised him in that movie... well, not him... the character. Ian was excellent!<P>My first experience with Christopher Lee was as the voice of King Haggard in <I>The Last Unicorn</I><P>When I was little <I>Forever Young</I> was one of my favorite movies!!! Go Elijah!<BR>And I can't forget about Sean in <I>Goonies</I> either!<P>I loved Cate Blanchett in <I>Elizabeth</I> and Liv Tyler in <I>That Thing You Do</I><P>Also, did you know that Brad Dourif was the voice of Chucky in the <I>Child's Play</I> movies? Creeeeppppyyy!<p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:47 AM   #13
NeptunesDaughter

Sting

Hello<P>Well im not sure if it's his first movie but Orlando Bloom appears in Wilde. He's only in it for a ten seconds as a rent boy who make a pass at Oscar. I have to say he looks exactly as you're expect lol. Not a bad movie to get your start in though.<P>What about Billy & Dom? I've never seen those two in anything before!<P>Elaine
Old 01-12-2003, 06:02 AM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Recently I have seen Sean Bean as the head villain in the James Bond film A Diamond Is Forever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Are you sure? Are you absolutely positive? I'm no Bond Expert, but the fact that you have the title wrong is not a good sign!<P>Sean Bean (why doesn't that rhyme?) will always be 006 Alec Trevelyan from Goldeneye to me, probably because of the N64 game.<P>"It was too easy, Boromir!"<P>"Half of everything is luck, Frodo."<P>"And the other half?"<P>"Fate."
Old 01-12-2003, 06:31 AM   #15
Thor
Pile O'Bones

Thor has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Not sure if you have heard it Saucepan Man, but Dominic (I think it's him) does an impression of John Rhys-Davies in Indiana Jones on the FotR extended DVD cast commentary. It is a little obscure I know but I found it quite amusing having been a past fan of Indiana Jones movies.<P>This is my first message. How is everyone?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:21 PM   #16
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sean Bean (why doesn't that rhyme?) will always be 006 Alec Trevelyan from Goldeneye to me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oops I think you're right. But the fact that I also saw "A Diamond is Forever" the night after contributed to my mix-up of the titles. Hehe. It was Goldeneye... *slinks off into dark corner of embarrasment*<P>Welcome to the Downs, O mighty Thor! <p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 02:33 PM   #17
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Aww, I was going to say that about Myst III! Well, at any rate, its nice to see that other people besides me know of it. Yay. Sean Bean is <B>NOT</B> in Diamonds are forever..forever...forever..., because that was made in the 70s/80s, and the character he plays was in one of the Pierce ones. Did you know that my all time favourite Bond film is The Man With The Golden Gun, and that's because CHRISTOPHER LEE plays Scaramanga. But his first film is in 1949! He goes back a log way. <BR>I'll shut up now, before I'm too hyper to make any sense....
Old 01-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #18
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Did you all know that I was the Bond girl in <I>Diamonds Are Forever</I> ? No, really!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:13 PM   #19
Deathless One

Sting

I remeber Sean Astin in the Goonies and seeing Elijah Wood in Radio Flyer.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:22 PM   #20
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

How's this for a first impression of Viggo: a drunk in 28 days. I really hated him in that movie...
Old 01-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #21
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the guy who plays wormtongue is also in Alien Resurection where he plays a scientist who is very weird.<P>HAHAHA i just saw sean astin in the Goonies 2day, it was on tv, and he is sooooooooo young!
Old 01-12-2003, 07:02 PM   #22
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I saw Elijah Wood he was 8 years old and starring in Disney's Huckleberry Finn. He was a good actor even as a kid.<P>Just watched Viggo in GI Jane. His shorts were too short! <P>Wow, Diamond18, you were a Bond girl? Which one?<P>-Lily
Old 01-12-2003, 07:07 PM   #23
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Oh yes, I had forgotten that Christopher Lee played Scaramanga in The Man with the Golden Gun, LePetitChoux. Does anyone know of a film with Christopher Lee where he did not play the villain?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:50 PM   #24
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Wow, Diamond18, you were a Bond girl? Which one? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, obviously <I>Diamonds Are Forever</I> was all about me. I played a gorgeous model (a former Miss America) just entering my thirties. I was obsessed with staying young, and was devising a beauty potion that would not only make me live forever, but would also enable me to rule the world...along with my white cat, Zirconia.<P>I was the main villain, you see, who of course seduced good old James before I was killed off in the end. It was a beautiful death, though; I was impaled on a spike protruding from a giant mill wheel.<P>Oh, and Sean Bean was in the movie too. Either that or his twin brother, Shaun Bean. (I don't rightly remember, it was 1971).
Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #25
Maiden of the Sky
Pile O'Bones

Maiden of the Sky has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've only ever seen Elijah Wood in the disney version of Oliver Twist, he was playing the artful dodger.He was so young and sweet...<BR>I haven't seen any other of those actors before, exepct cate blanchet and liv tyler.
Maiden of the Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:02 PM   #26
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

Oh, one more. Christopher Lee as the head "researcher" at the Splice O'Life Laboratory in "Gremlins II". Best line: "Rabies? I've got rabies. I WANTED pneumonia." Yes, I've watched a *lot* of bad movies...but even so, that one was fun.<P>Thanks for the movie suggestions, Diamond Bond Girl . I'll see about getting them next time we hit Blockbuster.<p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 01-12-2003, 09:07 PM   #27
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Sting

My non LotR fans ask me what other movies "that blonde elf guy" was in and tell him he was the one in Black Hawk Down that fell out of the helicopter and the reaction is always the same: "NO WAY!" *shaking of head* Why is that so hard for people to believe? I know the whole switch from long blonde to short black mohawk is drastic but come on, it's not that hard to comprehend. <P>I remember Elijah Wood from Flipper when I was somewhere around the tender age of 9 and I thought he was attractive even then. <P>Also, Ian McKellen played Magneto in X men. Christopher Lee did SW: E2 recently of course. I still think somebody needs to do a humor pic of Gandalf wearing that metal helmet of Magneto's facing off against Christoper Lee as Saruman with Count Dooku's lightsaber. Sorry, I have a strange sense of humor. <P>I LOVED Sean Astin as Rudy. What a great movie. And Liv Tyler was great as Grace in Armageddon. Funny thing is I like Liv Tyler and I like Arwen but I don't like Liv Tyler AS Arwen. But that's another thread. <BR>And I'm really interested in seeing that movie with Billy Boyd as a "bald, pyscho landlord." <P>And Tigerlily, I thought it was Andy Serkis that played Chuckie? I thought I read that somewhere but I could very likely be wrong. I don't have a great memory .<p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Fingo ]
Old 01-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #28
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I read in <I>Fangoria</I> that it was Brad Dourif. Andy Serkis was in <I>Topsy Turvey</I>.<BR>And who can forget David Wenham as Audrey in <I>Moulin Rouge</I>? Well, I guess a lot of people can, because his part was over in a flash.. '"Good bye!"
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:13 PM   #29
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

You're right! Andy Serkis was Mr. D'Auban the drunken dancing master in "Topsy-Turvy." "I 'aven't laughed so 'ard since me tights caught fire." Good part, and a very good movie. Quite different from "preciousss" of course.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:18 PM   #30
Anardil
Animated Skeleton

Anardil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sean Bean stars as the British officer Richard Sharpe in the Sharpe television series. These were some of my favorite, and I would watch them over and over again.<P>In the FOTR movie, there is a scene in Rivendell where Boromir picks up the handle of the sword Narsil and cuts his finger. "Still sharp!" he remarks. Still Sharpe indeed!
Anardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:56 AM   #31
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Shield

Good call, I remember reading that Sharpe thingy somewhere else. You should post that on Estelyn's whacky PJ's Tongue in Cheek Moments thread.<P>Christopher Lee is actually in the Guinness Book of World Records as having starred in more movies than <B>any</B> other actor. This would be a really long thread if we all knew our stuff. He's so old he's actually met JRR Tolkien! <P>Good news for fans of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game - Sean Astin stars with Kevin Bacon in some whack 80s adventure movie I saw advertised on TV the other day. Can't remember the name, sorry. Actually, no, I'm not sorry. Sorry.<P>Any Aussies out there might be interested to know that Rose Cotton (love of Sam's life) is played by Sarah McLeod, the hot hot hottie lead singer from group The SuperJesus. And that New Zealand is gonna wipe the floor with you next time we play cricket.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #32
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Let's see.....<P>Ian McKellen was in Apt Pupil, which is a movie of a Stephen King short story. Orlando Bloom is in a Disney movie coming out this summer, "Pirates of the Caribbean". <P>Also, did anyone here see when Ian McKellen was on Saturday Night Live?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:52 AM   #33
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Well, the first time I ever saw Elijah Wood was in "Forever Young". Hehe My favourite line from that movie is when he tells his girl "Nice dress, looks like wallpaper."<P> Well one of my friends keeps bugging me to see The Goonies. I won't mention names but she is a Barrowdowner as well.<P> I also suppose I'll have to break down and see "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" someday. The only thing is, I have a policy about reading books written by or watching movies based on books written by LSD addicts. But that's another story. YOu'll have to excue my very biased opinion when I say that Brad Dourif has phenominal talent that usually gets wasted on wierd b-grade movies. TTT was a real breakthrough.<P>So Chris Lee has a record hm? I really haven't seen him that much, but then I'm not a mivue conneseur. I lept having Star Wars/LOTR crossover thought when I saw Attack of the Clones. <P>Don't forget Bernard Hill in Titanic. <P>"Captain! Helm's Deep and stuck in iceberg!"<P>Oh yeah! I forgot about Liv in "That Thing You Do" That's another good movie.<P>Some people believe that the "Still sharp" line in FOTR is a throwback to Sean Bean's Richard Sharpe days.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #34
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Ring

Helm's Deep! No way, that's too cool! The helm of the Titanic ended up being <B>real</B> deep. At least now we know why movieThéoden is such a pessimist, bad stuff always happens to him!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Elijah Wood in the disney version of Oliver Twist, he was playing the artful dodger. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I saw him as Huckleberry Finn recently. That lovable scamp!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:28 PM   #35
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

That Huck Finn movie scared me when I first watched many a year ago, when I was just a wee little impressionable thing. I was filled with an unspeakable terror when the two con artists were tarred (I mean, imagine it! Boiling hot tar poured over your body???), and Huck got shot.<P>So up until FotR I always associated Elijah Wood with unspeakable terror. Aha.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:02 PM   #36
Reginald Hill
Pile O'Bones

Reginald Hill has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I saw somewhere an interesting article about how Christopher Lee's character in SW2 tries to seduce Obi-Wan to the dark side when Obi-Wan is a prisoner in his lair, and how Christopher Lee's character in LOTR (Saruman) tries to get Gandalf to join him while Gandalf is a prisoner in his "lair". I thought it was pretty freaky. Also Gandalf, the larger-than-life good guy in LOTR, fights Saruman and Yoda, the (small) larger-than-life good guy in SW, fights Dooku. WEIRD!
Reginald Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:10 PM   #37
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the biggest similarity between the two characters is that they are both fallen members of a higher, mystic order. It is interesting though, how similar the characters are, but then again, it's also obvious that Lucus was influenced partially by Tolkien.<P>H.C.<p>[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 02-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #38
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OMG what about<P>Ian Holm in the first ALIEN?<P>and Sean Astin as RUDY? He finally found a role where that character isnt the first thing that springs to mind when you see him.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:47 PM   #39
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

Have we mentioned Elijah Wood in "Deep Impact" yet?<BR>Oh, and I saw Viggo Mortensen in "GI Jane", too- he plays a real a**hole, don't you think so?

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:06 PM   #40
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i know it's been mentioned but Flipper with Elijah .....<BR>It was the first non animated film i remember seeing in the cinema without my parents (i went with my friend and her older sister) and that memory always sticks with me.<BR>im so sad.... i remember a film! oh well .....

"Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote