The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 PM   #1
MushrooM

Tolkien Quotes

."I ain't droppin' no eaves, sir, honest!...I heard a good deal about a ring, and a dark lord, and something about the end of the world. Please don't hurt me, sir, don't turn me into anything *gulp* unnatural." -Sam

Post your fav. LOTR quotes!
Aslo, I love #2 song on the soundtrack, the one where there at the Shire! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 07:17 PM   #2
shadowfae

Tolkien

::Points to the "Quotable Quotes" forum under "Middle-Earth Fun and Games":: [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
LeGoLaSz gUrL
Animated Skeleton

LeGoLaSz gUrL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LeGoLaSz gUrL
Sting

#2 is called Concerning Hobbits btw.

My favorite quote? Hmm, i cant think right now. So i'll use BD's quote

"I go to my fathers. And even in their mighty company I shall not now be ashamed. I felled the black serpent. A grim morn, and a glad day, and a golden sunset!" ~Theoden

My Favorite songs on the sdtk- Many Meetings, The Council of Elrond, Lothlorien, The Breaking of the Fellowship, and May It Be! ^^ [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
LeGoLaSz gUrL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:41 PM   #4
dark_one
Pile O'Bones

dark_one has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dark_one
Sting

Probably either:

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. What we must do is make the best out of the time that is given to us."

"Many that live deserve death, and many that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then don't be so quick to deal out death in judgement"

Or anything Gollum says. I love freaking people out by talking like Gollum. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2002, 06:26 PM   #5
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

My signature.

By Radagast.

Why must everyone forget the good ones...?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:53 PM   #6
Arie
Animated Skeleton

Arie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well this is from the book...

"The world was fair; the mountains tall in Elder days before the fall."
--Gimli's song book IV
Old 09-05-2002, 08:31 PM   #7
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

My Favorite Gandalf quote

"You Must Trust Me"

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 07:29 PM   #8
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my favorite movie quote is:
"Mushrooms!" (i love saying that in the middle of a conversation, everyone looks at me really weird...) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2002, 12:43 PM   #9
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite quote in the Silmarillion is one of Eru:

Quote:
'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilúvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that not theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'
There are many other quotes that I like in the LotR. My signature is one.

Gandalf: 'Too well he knew them all'

the Gaffer only has good quotes [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Best of all:
Tom Bombadil: 'What? Old Man Willow? Naught worse than that, eh? That can soon be mended. I know the tune for him. Old grey Willow-man! I'll freeze his marrow cold, if he don't behave himself. I'll sing his roots off. I'll sing a wind up and blow leaf and branch away. Old Man Willow!'

In the Hobbit it might be some of the official talks of Thorin: much speech but no sayings [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Yet it is long since I read the Hobbit so I do not know.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 01:57 PM   #10
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My fav Tolkien quote is from the Lays of Beleriand's poem "The Lay of Leithian.",

Quote:
There once and long and long ago, before the sun and moon we know, were lit to sail above the world. When first the shaggy woods unfurled and shadowy shapes did stare and roam beneath the dark and starry dome that hung above the dawn of earth, the silences and silver mirth had shaken the rocks were ringing, the birds of Melian were singing, the first to sing in mortal lands the nightengales with her own hands, she fed that fay of garments grey and long and dark her tresses lay, beneath her silver girdles seat and down unto her silver feet.
I also liked the part,

Quote:
...enchanted moments such as these from gardens of the lord of sleep, where fountains play and shadows creep...
That one makes me sleepy even reading it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]