The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit
Pile O'Bones

Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Another Trilogy to Try......

Hello All!!!
Of course The Lord of the Rings trilogy is and has always been my all time favorite novel, but in looking for something new to read I came across another trilogy that I'd like to recommend. However it's not really "new" and I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's very good and done in the style of LOTR. It's called "The Sword of Shannara Trilogy" by Terry Brooks and this year is it's 25TH anniversay. The book has elves, dwarfs, gnomes, men, trolls, wizards, and everything else you need for a great story (except no hobbits!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ). LOTR will always rule, but if your looking for something else to try.....The Sword of Shannara. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

P.S. Barrow-Downs is the Greatest Site!!!
Old 09-15-2002, 03:45 AM   #2
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not to be irm, snobby, but... The Sword of Shannara is widely recognised as near-plagarism of Tolkien's work. Would you consider that to be an accurate description?
I did not read them due to my "five finger test" failure. When I select a book to read, I use a method taught to me by my local librarian. Pick up the book, place 5 fingers in it in different spots. Open the book to these spots and read one paragraph. If you detect cliches', move on to the next finger. Impossible plotline? Move on. Good action? There's one finger for the book. See?

Now when I gave Sword of Shannara the 5 finger test, I gasped in horror. It was terrible. Failed miserably, and I have since tried to read it to no avail. I cannot overlook it's blatant use of all of Tolkien's imaginings.

Irm, I'm sorry to bust on it like that....*shrug* it's only my opinion. I hope to hear others' opinions on it, too.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-15-2002, 05:16 AM   #3
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tirned Tinnu - [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] You might want to check out this thread: A GREAT Idea For a Story
You want opinions? We got 'em

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:24 PM   #4
Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit
Pile O'Bones

Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yikes, Don't bite my head off...several Tolkien lovers in my "group" suggested The Sword of Shannara and I'm glad they did. I just thought I'd pass it on to others that this trilogy existed also...others like me might just find it entertaining. One important thing to remember...what one person likes another might not. And As I stated LOTR will always ALWAYS be the best written and loved novel of all time, but it doesn't hurt to try others...As for the whole "copying Tolkien's work thing" its once been said "Copying is the sincerest form of flattery"..LOL. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 10:06 PM   #5
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Furry footed Flatfoot (by the way, cute name!), I've also read the Sword of Shannara series. And, of course, it is no where near being as great as LotR. Nothing can be. But it is still good! I also just finished the First King of Shannara. So now I must move onto the other series. I forget what the first book in that series is called though. Oh well! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Send me a PM if you want to talk more about these books! I'd love to hear what your favorite characters are and stuff. And also, does anyone know what other really good fantasy books there are?
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:58 PM   #6
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Thank you, Birdland, I have checked it out. Your list and the suggested books contain definite possibilities. I shall keep it in mind.
I do recommend Ursula K. LeGuin's "Earthsea" trilogy more than any other. Her characters are interesting and the plot lines are simple yet unique. Those who are "Potter" oriented will be sure to love them too, as it seem the auther of "Potter" have been heavily influenced by them. They're rated PG, yes, but contain some disturbing symbolism that is sure to make you think for a while. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] On that author, I recommend her science fiction too!

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-16-2002, 01:44 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For four (!) pages of fantasy book recommendations, see this thread.
Tinnu, I enjoyed LeGuin's 'Earthsea' too, and I don't read much fantasy because so few books meet my expectations. While in England, I saw that she has written a new 'Earthsea' book, but since it was only available in hardback, I didn't buy it. Maybe US libraries will have it soon.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 04:12 PM   #8
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

When I first read The Sword of Shannara, I was surprised how much like LOTR it was. But that did not upset me. It made me happy to find another fantasy series that I love.

Alright, The Sword of Shannara may seem much like LOTR, but the Shannara series consists of 11 books, and the ones after the first book are completely different from LOTR. If you did not enjoy The Sword of Shannara because of its simularity to Tolkien, don't give up on the Shannara series completely! Try The Heritage of Shannara or The Voyage of Jerle Shannara. If you don't, you may be missing out on something great.

In my opinion, Terry Brooks does almost as good writing as Tolkien. But of course, Tolkien will always be the best.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-03-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote