The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum


Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Barad-Dur
Posts: 189
The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Mayoral elections at Michel Delving

We know that the Mayor of the Shire was elected every 7 years at Michel Delving. But we also know that many Shirefolk didn't travel much out of their own immediate locality. For example, if a hobbit lived in Stock, Rushey or Sarn Ford, these were considerable distances from Michel Delving. And surely it would have been impossible for every hobbit of voting age to travel to Michel Delving anyway?

So did the Shire have a postal voting system? Or was the Mayor a job concentrating on the West Farthing, with the Thain having authority in the middle of the Shire and the Master of Buckland controlling the east?

Last edited by The Mouth of Sauron; 11-04-2014 at 06:33 PM.
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Tar-Jêx
Wight
 
Tar-Jêx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Armenelos, Númenor
Posts: 205
Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
We know that the Mayor of the Shire was elected every 7 years at Michel Delving. But we also know that many Shirefolk didn't travel much out of their own immediate locality. For example, if a hobbit lived in Stock, Rushey or Sarn Ford, these were considerable distances from Michel Delving. And surely it would have been impossible for every hobbit of voting age to travel to Michel Delving anyway?

So did the Shire have a postal voting system? Or was the Mayor a job concentrating on the West Farthing, with the Thain having authority in the middle of the Shire and the Master of Buckland controlling the east?
From what was described in the appendices and in the Scouring of the Shire, the Mayor was a somewhat casual, yet prestigious position. I think everyone would just choose who they thought was most suited for the job, and they'd be made mayor.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre
 
Inziladun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Heaven's doorstep
Posts: 7,419
Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I think it was mentioned that the Mayor was elected at the Free Fair, so I would imagine that it would be the attendees who would cast their votes.

As Tar-Jêx said, Mayor was largely a ceremonial position anyway, so I don't think their was much concern among hobbits who didn't make it to the Fair.
__________________
Music alone proves the existence of God.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Tar-Jêx
Wight
 
Tar-Jêx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Armenelos, Númenor
Posts: 205
Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I think it was mentioned that the Mayor was elected at the Free Fair, so I would imagine that it would be the attendees who would cast their votes.

As Tar-Jêx said, Mayor was largely a ceremonial position anyway, so I don't think their was much concern among hobbits who didn't make it to the Fair.
Even though it's basically just a title, it would still be comforting with someone like Samwise as the mayor. That really is the entire point, just to be able to say you have a wonderful person, and a hero, as the mayor.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre
 
Inziladun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Heaven's doorstep
Posts: 7,419
Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx View Post
Even though it's basically just a title, it would still be comforting with someone like Samwise as the mayor. That really is the entire point, just to be able to say you have a wonderful person, and a hero, as the mayor.
Probably. An appreciation of food beyond that of ordinary Hobbits seems to be an office requirement too, since old Will Whitfoot apparently needed to regain some weight after being a prisoner of Sharkey's men. Sam Gamgee had the necessary qualification.
__________________
Music alone proves the existence of God.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.