The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #401
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
In that case is it Umbar? It had that monument to the defeat of Sauron.

It would have to be in the late first millenium, though.

Last edited by Nerwen; 12-15-2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Adding a comment
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #402
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up At last!

Indeed, it's Umbar. I was really wondering if no one knows about the monument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
It would have to be in the late first millenium, though.
I couldn't have written, of course, "since year XY" because then it would've been obvious. Nevertheless, as long as Umbar was free, it was in my opinion obviously a destination every citizen of Arnor and Gondor must have dreamt of visiting.

You may continue this thread, Nerwen.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #403
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd have guessed Umbar first, only I wasn't sure about the dates.

Who was the father of Roäc?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #404
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Cärc or something I think.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #405
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes... but without the umlaut.

Your turn.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #406
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
ORLY?

What was "West-wings"?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 AM   #407
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Aldarion's ship?

(You have me at a disadvantage with UT.)
Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #408
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yes, although it wasn't originally.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #409
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes, I know it belonged to someone else first, but I can't remember his name.

To what do Orofarnë, Lassemista and Carnimírië refer?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #410
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
These were trees (certain ones that used to grow in Fangorn).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #411
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes– specifically, they're poetic names for the rowan.

Your turn.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #412
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Aulë, Oromë, Yavanna, Oromë (or Mandos + Nienna), Manwë + Varda (or Irmo).

What am I talking about?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #413
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Uh... Is Oromë meant to be in there twice?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 AM   #414
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, he is. There is this variant in parentheses behind him. *hint hint*
Old 12-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #415
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

'Nother hint, please.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #416
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Oh my, don't tell me no one knows. Had I seen this line of names anywhere, that would be the first to pop up in my mind. It's what I consider a common knowledge among at least middle-Tolkien-educated fans.

The parentheses are variant writings. But even the first three should be obvious.

These are names of Valar, right? And that is all you need to know. Of WHICH Valar?

The placement of the names is based on something, though not necessarily to bother with that for solving the riddle. Because it also could be in different order, depending. Though I believe Aulë should be on the first place.

That was a hint.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #417
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Um. In order of power from least to greatest? Maybe?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #418
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nay. Why would Oromë be there twice? And why would there be the parentheses? Btw the fact that Oromë is there twice, or in other words, there are two Oromës (includes hint), could help you if you think about it.

Okay, maybe if I write it another way, it will be more apparent:

1. Aulë
2. Oromë
3. Yavanna
4. Oromë (or Mandos + Nienna)
5. Manwë + Varda (or Irmo)
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #419
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*sigh* *eeek* That's just too bad. Reviving this thread if just anybody was in the mood to continue it...

I wonder anyway, if the question I posed was so hard - it's quite simply by itself - you have five names of Valar (or sometimes it's several names at once, but together, the pairs or singles or whatever still make up five), and also the names are chosen from among the Valar in the way that one has to just wonder what connects these Valar?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #420
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Azaghâl has just left Hobbiton.
These are the names of the Valar associated with the five Istari, according to Unfinished Tales.

1. Aulë - Curumo
2. Oromë - Alatar
3. Yavanna - Aiwendil
4. Oromë (or Mandos + Nienna) - Pallando
5. Manwë + Varda (or Irmo) - Olórin
Azaghâl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #421
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Very good! You are really good - and lately almost the only one - in answering my riddles, Azaghal. Please, could you give us a new riddle then?