The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
other99
Newly Deceased

other99 has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, i have problem

This is my first post

Does anyone know what that might means

http://img1.aukcjoner.pl/gallery/017...jpg?1403602563

thanks for any help
other99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The graphic you present is an incomplete section from a tengwar text. Only two characters are displayed fully in your sample, but part of a preceding character and part of a following character are visible.

The text probably represents the Quenya language, as the two dots beneath the second complete character are given by Tolkien as a representation of a consonantal y sound in that language only. The symbol resembling´, that is an acute accent in English, usually represents the vowel e, but sometimes represents the vowel i. The two larger characters represent the consonant w when used medially and the consonant t. The low dot before the second consonant has no obvious meaning. It may represent what would perhaps be indicated by an apostrophe in English. It might indicate a comma but seems too closely connected to the following t to indicate that.

Thus the portion of the text that can be read possibly represents “-we tye-” or “-we ’tye”. What this means in this small sample is even more difficult to guess than a selection of text from English which shows only the final character in a word and the first character in the following word.

Last edited by jallanite; 06-25-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Corrected transliteration
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote