The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #881
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign the idiocy of popping pills with no water. I was sitting in the middle of class with a splitting headache and one of the pills caught in my throat mid-quiz. I mean... seriously, it's hard enough writing a mini-paper comparing Odysseus to Dante while trying to remember if you got the seven deadly sins right on question one and wondering what the heck Filippo Argenti actually did without an Advil liqui-gel stuck somewhere near your collar-bone.

Really, I should just assign the headaches that have plagued me for the past few weeks. They really ought to go away and leave me be. When you're swearing at the moon for being too bright, there's a slight problem.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #882
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I assign the idiocy of popping pills with no water.
Do you mean the necessity? Or the people who can do it and flaunt it?

The necessity is a horrid thing, but consider the case of my brother Sam who can and does swallow upwards of seven huge horsepills daily sans liquid. And then smiles at me chugging away.

And on behalf of my sister, I shall assign having a mouth so small that you can't swallow pills and so small that the dentist is impeded and complains.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #883
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I assign being ill on holiday and on your birthday Celebrating is no fun when you can't breathe.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #884
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
I assign the irratation of finally finding the time to fill my long over due save only to have my success thwarted by error 502
Old 02-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #885
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
Do you mean the necessity? Or the people who can do it and flaunt it?
I mean the necessity. I was in the middle of a quiz in the middle of class and I'm currently mysteriously ill, so I didn't want to borrow a friend's water. Usually I can swallow even the largest pills without water, but I should have known better than to try two at once with a sore throat.

I also assign the sheer annoyance of finding little chunks of meat in your "meatless" spaghetti sauce. If I'd wanted meat sauce, I'd have taken it from the kind labelled as such!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:42 AM   #886
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the fact that you need to rep 10 other people before you can rep someone you've repped before. Now I owe Nilp TWO reps and I made the big mistake of letting him know through PM, which means that now he'll be stalking me until I fulfil my promise

On that note, I assign Nilp for being so rep-thirsty.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #887
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Hehe . . .

Quote:
On that note, I assign Nilp for being so rep-thirsty. (Farael)
Won't work. I'm already here. Made a cameo, even. (That was loads of fun. )

Besides, I'll be reminding you through reps. Don't you like reps?
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #888
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the way the gasman always comes when I'm in the bath.

Also, Kath leaving for extended periods of time. It makes MSN boring.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #889
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah but Kath always comes back!

I assign computer programs that won't set up for no apparent reason! I mean, one did, but one won't - why!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #890
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Once again, A Medieval Total War related assignment.

I was quite pleased with myself and my empire stretching from the Balkans to the North Sea, not to mention my Crusader holdings, when three - yes THREE - different nations attacked me within the space of three years. One of them was the Pope.

Anywho, because of this, I would like to send ganging up on others to Mordor. Those countries have no right to behave in a co-ordinated, united manner when I could devour them piecemeal! Oh, wait...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #891
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
These past three days can go to Mordor.On wednesday I found out that the essay I thought was due in another weeks time was due on Friday. Plus I had a midterm to study for. Basically I had no life for two and a half days!!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #892
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

To Mordor with people who cancel on you at the last minute. As in, half an hour before they're supposed to be somewhere, and in doing so really bleeping you off so that it becomes a real effort to enjoy yourself.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #893
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bleh

1. Economics class. I thought I was done with math, but noooooo, here comes big nasty AP Macroeconomics to devour my soul and make me feel dumb.
2. Friends who become very full of themselves and act mean.
3. The bookstores never having the graphic novel you need to complete the collection.
4. When you are about to do someone a favor and he suddenly says something stupid and you think "what a jerk" instead.
5. Having to sing pieces in chorus which are not only religious in nature, but also devoid of anything melodically or harmonically interesting.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #894
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

The way all the people I consider to be my Barrow-peers are 18 or older. I feel so... I don't know. Not small, I'm that already. Sort of lonely.

Why? Why must you all be grown ups?! Stupid aging process.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:01 AM   #895
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I conassign gravity to Mordor, for having a large hand in breaking my beloved mug that has faithfully served me for nearly a quarter of my life.

And idiotic fastfood cashiers who don't place "Next Counter Please" signs on supposedly closed counters. I've been waiting in front of one, impatiently tapping my long nails for several minutes, then this female who's previously been "playing" with the microphone looked at me and asked, in this condescending "Hey kid, have you lost your mom?" voice: "Are you going to order something?"

Geesh. I had to do my best to keep from replying "Naw, I lost my mom. Can you help me find her?"

Apparently my annoyance was too clearly noticeable in my expression that the male cashier who finally took my order screwed up somewhere in his cashier- litany. Hah.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #896
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign when days out go wrong.

So we wanted to go to Haworth but the car was encased in perma-frost. We decided to go to Hebden Bridge on the train instead. First of all, we got on the slow train to Leeds and almost died of tedium. Then we get to Hebden Bridge and decide to walk up to Heptonstall, abandoning this half way as it was like climbing Everest; on the way down we see that there were regular buses up there anyway, but have spent so long talking to a rather handsome ginger cat that it was now a little late. Then we go and have something to eat only to be entertained by a loud conversation at the next table going into intimate detail about everything her friends ever ate for every meal and the calorie content of said foods. I then enter a bookshop and hold a door open for an old lady who does nothing to thank me but pass wind loudly in my direction. We later attempt to get on a train which is jammed to the rafters with idiots and get tutted at as we get off this cattle truck and go instead for the quieter local train.

Still, we did make friends with a nice cat, and I got some nice books.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #897
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I assign Fea for liking both Dr Pepper and marmite - what is wrong with your taste buds!

Also, dozing off 4 minutes before the programme you need to tape starts so that you wake up 10 minutes in and leap off the sofa to press the record button, forgetting you're still wrapped in a blanket and so making an oh so hilarious face first dive onto the carpet.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:34 PM   #898
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I assign chemsitry class and spesifically the type of online problems we have to do. OWL just SUCKS! It makes it, by my estimates, at least 40 times harder...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #899
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Waking up five minutes after you should have left for school... I'm still not really sure whether I actually slept that long or whether I woke up at the normal time, thought, "Oh, it's Saturday," and rolled over and went back to sleep. It seems that I remember doing so, but I'm not sure. Yeah, I was tired.
Quote:
Originally posted by Oddwen
Also, the other bands I can't stand, if I haven't mentioned them already.
Michael W. Smith
Now come on, he's one of my favorites. I assign Oddwen to Mordor for that.

I also assign Kath for assigning Fea for liking Dr. Pepper. There goes one of my favorite pops...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #900
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Walking and people that make walking a general pain: Trying to maneuver you way into a classroom when someone is walking on the LEFT side of the hall (their left, that is! ) and is coming right at you. People that enter a building using the LEFT door, which, as everyone knows, is meant strictly for exiting. People that walk into an elevator the instant the door opens, no matter if four people are disembarking. That kind of thing...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 AM   #901
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Long nails. Nilp scratched me (accidentally? hmmm...) with his the other day, and now I have a disturbing little wound at the back of my left hand.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:51 AM   #902
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

I conassign to Mordor my complete inability to draw, and the occasional circumstances that slam it in my face.

And very easy exams, the kind that make you paranoid that somehow, somewhere, there's a catch. More so when the exam is Calculus.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:06 AM   #903
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Indulge me.

I've never done this for personal benefit, but this one is really called for.

I would like to give timezones a very uncomfy permanent spot in Mordor. The worst one anyone could find, if possible. Maybe they could scrub the toilets of trolls of Gorgoroth.

I have little inclination to ponder the effects of my deed, so I'll just leave now.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #904
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

. . . the number of years I have left to work before I can retire . . .
Old 03-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #905
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
White-Hand Legends of Inuit words

Snow.

The dense, hard-packed ice cairn variety, that doesn't go crunch. The kind that has to be chistled off sidewalks and steps. The kind that won't melt away quickly. The kind that hangs around and hangs around and hangs around. The kind that gets black and grey and gritty with detritus.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #906
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Snow.

The unexpected blizzard-conditions and icy roads variety, that doesn't let you drive safely. The kind that pulls your car off of the road and into a rather large ditch (by way of a small tree) somewhere around midnight in the middle of Vermont. The kind that gets into your practical and normally warm and comfy boots and soaks your pants up to your knees as you climb out of said car and try to make your way back to the road (which at this point is pretty far away from the car). The kind that freezes your feet and hands and nose as you wait for the "wrecker." Because every group of college girls that just put a car in a Vermont ditch around midnight wants to hear that a contraption called the "wrecker" is on its way to take care of the car.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #907
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Not having any snow. Trying to get used to a winter in a strange place, when nothing at all feels like home. So :P to all you people whining about the chance to throw snowballs at people.

Oh, and bickering over absolutely nothing with the person you love more than anything. So frustrating.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #908
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Domain registrars who don't update their records for three years and then penalise you both in time and money when you try to transfer your domains in a perfectly legitimate way. Oh, and clearly sell all your details to spam merchants because the only domains registered with them are the ones that get all the spam.
Also the new registrar who you thought might be better but they charge you 50p a minute to lie to you and know absolutely nothing.

HATEHATEHATE
(sorry, it's been a bad day hanging on the helplines)
Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #909
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Power outages. At work. It mucks up the whole morning. Can't get the orders the usual way, can't process them the usual way, exponentially increasing the risk of errors. A lot more work too. Heck, power outages belong in Mordor anyway, even if I didn't like 'em. It'd be interesting to see how Lord Roggie would cope.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #910
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Laziness.

Well, less laziness and more knowing that you're being lazy and just not having the energy to do anything about it, so that even when the teacher whose work you are supposed to be doing comes in, you don't at least pretend to be doing something constructive, but simply sit there reading.

Course, the ability to then think up some excuse of the top of the head to get out of this mess should be assigned to the Shire, except that it's such a bad example to set!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #911
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I conassign the following conversation to Mordor:

I was sitting in the lounge on a break to read the Downs when the other student on my team walked in. He looked over my shoulder and said, "The Barrow-Downs! Cool!"

At first I was delighted. Had I unexpectedly found another Downer in my class? Alas, it was not to be. He went on.

"Yeah. That's great. Isn't that the place where Dwarves live under the ground and have mines in this video game?" (I forget the game he named.)

I paused a moment, a little surpirsed, and explained the origins of the Downs, even pulling up the BD theme from the main page for more information. My classmate's eyes glazed over.

"You've got to be kidding me. The Barrow-Downs." He had a superior sniff in his voice. "It's something else they stole from the video game for that Lord of the Rings stuff."

At this point, my jaw is on the floor. The first thought I had was he must be joking. There was that parody news article about how Tolkien stole storylines from Dungeons and Dragonsm after all. So I sort of laughed and asked him if it was a joke. But he was serious. Completely serious. And went on to spend a good half hour trying to convince me that the LOTR is a "Hollywood sanitized-for-movie-audiences by Tolkien, less violent and less thematically complex" version of Heroes of Might and Magic.

I was in shock. "You do realize, of course, that Tolkien wrote the books a few decades before video games were invented."

"But this is a really old video game," he replied.

Which led to my pulling out publishing dates for the LOTR, draft dates for the Silmarillion and the attempting to find an approximate origin of this Heroes and Might and Magic business. The conversation ended with his capitulating that maybe, just maybe the LOTR came first. But he continued to state that the video game had the better story because "things aren't so black and white in the video game and they have better battles."

I groaned and buried myself in reading Werewolf.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #912
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
I conassign the following conversation to Mordor: ....

"You've got to be kidding me. The Barrow-Downs." He had a superior sniff in his voice. "It's something else they stole from the video game for that Lord of the Rings stuff."

... "things aren't so black and white in the video game and they have better battles."

I groaned and buried myself in reading Werewolf.
You have apparently met a modern day orc; a most appropriate assignation to Mordor.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #913
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
You have apparently met a modern day orc; a most appropriate assignation to Mordor.
Heh. The thing I really don't get is that he's actually a nice, intelligent person when not commenting on Tolkien.

Oh well. I guess we'll keep future conversations limited to schizophrenia treatments or other related topics.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #914
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Heh. The thing I really don't get is that he's actually a nice, intelligent person when not commenting on Tolkien.

Oh well. I guess we'll keep future conversations limited to schizophrenia treatments or other related topics.
An associate of Doctor Hookbill's perchance?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #915
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Late-mid-life-crises.

Mothers who've already fled from the father of your siblings and your father and who now choose to break from their...partner (shudder) of almost ten years, leaving you feeling guilty because for the last decade you've schemed with your father, undermined and intellectually bullied the unfortunate man who's superseded him, and now realise that though weak and not very bright he was harmless, stable, fond of your mother and really pretty nice to you.

Unless it's him breaking from her, in which case I'll kill him. But it seems so unlikely.

Urgh.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #916
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
*hugs* Who knows? Sounds terribly stressful on you though.

I'm assigning something far more prosaic. You know when the air in your bedroom is chilly, and you're all wrapped up so toasty and warm in some blanket, with every muscle relaxed, in absolute and all-too-rare comfort?

Yes, I'm assigning getting out of bed. I didn't want to...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #917
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quite in relation to that, Jenny, I conassign sleepiness. It's so...so overpowering. I wonder how long it will take me to be completely overcome by it.

Escalators that don't work. Because seriously, what's the point?

Standing in the express train (or whatever they call it) with a whole row of men - adults, mind - sitting right in front of you. I don't really mind standing, but that is just irksome. One would expect even a little bit of chivalry left in the world.

And at the risk of turning this into a blog post, I conassign those circumstances that make you think "If only...". Like this morning. If only I left for school at the time I initially intended to, I would have missed that whatever train that was detained at one station because some poor woman apparently had had enough of life and climbed to the topmost part of a bridge fronting the station. Then I wouldn't have had to wait for more than half an hour until the suicidal woman is rescued (how ironic), and I wouldn't have been late for my make-up class in Calculus. I'll hold from conassigning integrals to Mordor because they kept me company as I waited.

So, I'll just conassign hyperbolic functions and inverse hyperbolic functions. As if trigonometric functions their inverses aren't complicated enough.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #918
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Parents! I assign parents once more. More specifically, fathers who don't get it, have never gotten it, and I suspect never will get it.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #919
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

People who don't want to be held to the (very reasonable!) standards of the organization, and can't take correction when their unnecessary mistakes are causing problems for others .... ought to be assigned to Mordor, somewhere deep and dark where their defensiveness can do somebody some good, maybe.

Snicker..... I was wondering if I'd ever find reason to do one of these rant posts. There you have it.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #920
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
To be mugged in what was suposed to be the most safe part of a safe town.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote