Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #361
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, don't worry now... It's only been four days, and the weekend's coming up...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #362
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was hoping to get something done fairly soon, my biggest problem is that I'm not sure what I'm going to have Kuric do. I think that the most Kuricish thing to do would be to tell him that he left the others behind and the persue the wargs in front of him. Afterall, his adrenaline is pumping right now and he's ready for the kill. He almost has bloodlust In fact, Parkun is lucky that the old dwarf didn't swing at him.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #363
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well I think that's surely how he should react then. You have my permission to take a swing at Parkun if you wish, if there's a plausible way for Kuric to hit him without killing him...don't think I want him dead yet.

Maybe the rest of the group/some of the group could find Kuric just in time to hold him back (physically restrain him)? Or Kuric continues his charge, and...the trap is sprung early? Not sure if everyone will want things to go that way though.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #364
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Well I think that's surely how he should react then. You have my permission to take a swing at Parkun if you wish, if there's a plausible way for Kuric to hit him without killing him...don't think I want him dead yet.

Maybe the rest of the group/some of the group could find Kuric just in time to hold him back (physically restrain him)? Or Kuric continues his charge, and...the trap is sprung early? Not sure if everyone will want things to go that way though.

If I do what I have in mind I may need you to edit your post. My thought would be to have Kuric take a swing at you but pull back in just in time to only bruise your chest or something like that. There is a continuity problem with the others catching Kuric. Kuric left running and it was a little bit before the others would find him. Then there's the problem of them actually knowing which way he went. It could happen but it's not as plausible unless they correctly identified where Kuric's yell came from.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #365
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Okey doke...so perhaps his striking Parkun and realizing his mistake will bring him to his senses enough? Whatever you have planned, I'll edit in just a moment.

Edit:

I edited my post; I hope what I did seems plausible. I had Parkun pass out because I figure he doesn't have a great deal of fortitude or a terribly high threshold for pain, but I can easily keep him awake. Regardless he'll wake up quickly.

Last edited by Durelin; 05-30-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #366
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This is fun! Kuric is missing and the company will soon pick up Kun. You win some you lose some.

If it's a problem with the rest of the group catching up with Kuric they can just wonder around until they accidently stumble across Kun.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #367
mormegil
Maundering Mage

There my post is up. Now it seems to make sense a little more. Also, with this bit of diversion it will give the others a chance to catch up to Kuric. Although, I'm not sure if Kuric has forgotten his vow so he will still want to make a difference and may do something rash.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #368
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll start on a post that will get the defenders to Kun. Mormegil, do you want to be gone when the defenders discover Kun, or will you be right as you are now?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #369
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I'll start on a post that will get the defenders to Kun. Mormegil, do you want to be gone when the defenders discover Kun, or will you be right as you are now?
Good question and I would appreciate input from others on it. I think he could be gone either to hunt and help Toby or to look for the others wargs near by. It doesn't fit to have Kuric wait to long. He would likely want to drag Parkun with him though.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #370
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I am totally flexible. Guess it depends on whether or not we want Parkun's plans to go through (even just to a certain extent) or not. Hopefully some more people are around with opinions.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #371
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm finally around (the end of chool and start of summer holiday have kept me busy) but I don't really have an opinion. I say, whoever is the next post may decide and others should not criticize the deciision because they have been as useless as not to post anything instead.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #372
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I just put a post in telling us what happened to Kuric. If I need to change the ending, about Kuric, just let me know and I'll do so. Let me know if this is OK with you about how the group catches up with Kuric.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #373
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

The errand rider from Gondor dismounted quickly and strode purposefully into the thread. He unfurled a parchment and nailed it to one of the walls:

Come one, come all, you denizens here and in far lands!!
All those who enjoy the reading of a good tale and the playing out of one.

A new name has been added to the list of storytellers in Gondor:

~*~ littlemanpoet ~*~

Come and give your congratulations to this wonderful wordsmith!

~*~ Free drinks/ free food/ & plenty of good company ~*~

Come to The Seventh Star Inn in Gondor and lift a glass to littlemanpoet.!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #374
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry to say this, but I'm leaving the Downs permanently. Considering how bad I was at keeping up in this RPG, that shouldn't be too much of a problem... Could Lommy take over my character? I will pop on again next weekend, so until then,

Yours,
Finduilas
Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #375
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I'm really sorry to hear that, Finduilas. If Lommy is okay with taking over your character, that sounds great to me.

Looks like the WW game is helping hold things up a bit, though, sorry! Will get a post up tomorrow.

(And I thought you kept up with the game just fine! I mean, especially compared to me...)
Old 06-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #376
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I can take over Ash, with pleasure... But it's sad to see you go.

I will try to post sometime soon. Bleurgh. You know, it's the Dueling Wizards.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 06-08-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #377
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I doubt I'll manage to do anything this week (too much stuff to do and besides I will be separated from the computer for the weekend, at least partly), so I won't post before early next week. But then I will indeed post.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #378
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm getting a post up today. Gorin won't do much, my post will primarily focus on what he is thinking.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #379
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I need to get one up soon too.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #380
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Durelin, I would like your input on how Parkun and Kuric got separated and what Parkun did to help or hinder Kuric.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #381
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry for making such a stub of a post, but we need Dury to continue. Also, people should not pay attention to lea's scepticism as we need people to fall into Parkun's trap, right?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #382
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Meep, so sorry guys! I went on a trip for just a couple days, thought I'd have time in the few days before to post and then let you know I'd be gone but I got wayyy busier than I expected. I fail at time management.

I will post shortly!

morm - Hmm, I guess Parkun would have done his best to try and convince Kuric to stay, telling him that they had to get to Toby to save him before trying to go after the wargs or Toby would die, and that it was best for them to stay together, power in numbers. But he wouldn't have much energy to do so with the wind knocked out of him, and he certainly wouldn't even try to physically stop Kuric. Probably hasn't even gotten up at this point.

As for how they got separated in the first place...well, if you think it follows for Kuric to continue on to find the wargs himself (avenge Toby?), that sounds fine to me.

Does it make sense/sound good for a couple of the wargs to make some noise somewhere away from their trap location (the location where Kun and Toby were ambushed), which Kuric might follow? Another option is to have Kuric spring the trap early, and if the others follow closely enough behind, the wargs won't quite be ready for them...? If the wargs are already taking care of Kuric, the other defenders will be aware of them considerably earlier than they were meant to, and can prepare an attack themselves that the wargs would not be ready for?

Always open to ideas.

Last edited by Durelin; 06-21-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #383
mormegil
Maundering Mage

How many wargs are we talking about? Also, the wargs Kuric was headed to, are these the same that have Toby? If not, it is likely that Kuric is going after the other ones.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #384
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I was thinking there are 5 wargs, one now wounded. I haven't made up my mind about Toby yet and would certainly like input - should he be dead already, or should the wargs actually be holding on to him alive to set out as bait?

What I was thinking is that something like 3 of the wargs stay in their spot, preparing for the trap, while the 2 others slip silently away from there just a little ways and make some noise to give the "defenders" the idea that the wargs are in another direction from the one Parkun will be leading them in. Those 2 wargs would then slip back to the trap location and join the ambush. I'm imagining them being able to move very quickly and very quietly in the forest, and only allow anyone to know they're there when they want to.

As to what wargs Kuric was headed to before running into Parkun - I think it could go either way, depending on how we organize the time. We could say Kuric heard the wargs before Kun was released, and thus heard the wargs that have Toby and heard them in the direction of the trap, or we could say that he heard them after Kun was released, and heard the couple wargs who went off to be a distraction.

I am so good at making things complicated. Is anything making sense?

Edit: The way things have been set up in the game, I think it's best to just go with the idea that Kuric has gone to find the wargs, all five of the wargs, where they are waiting to catch the "defenders" in their trap.

Last edited by Durelin; 06-21-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #385
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Okay, I am posting for Kuric but I am at the stage where I need to make the decision and would like some input from others on what should take place next. Kuric will begin the attack alone. I'm not sure what will happen from there so I would like the input from the others. What I had in mind was that Kuric walks into the 3 with Toby there, dead or alive???, and starts to fight the 3. With the noise the other 2 come for the ambush and that is when Kuric is overpowered.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that Kuric, unlike the others, did not suspect Parkun of anything other than being somewhat of a coward. He doesn't understand that concept and is irritated when present.

Please let me know if something needs to be changed.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #386
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great post Mormegil! Your idea sounds perfect, Kuric draws all the wargs to him and then the rest of the defenders have a chance to get closer. I think that Toby should be alive. I think that the wargs would use the hobbit as bait and then kill him, along with the rest, afterwards
Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #387
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Great post Mormegil! Your idea sounds perfect, Kuric draws all the wargs to him and then the rest of the defenders have a chance to get closer. I think that Toby should be alive. I think that the wargs would use the hobbit as bait and then kill him, along with the rest, afterwards
Are wargs intelligent enough to injure Toby and leave him somewhat unconcious by a tree waiting in the shadows to attack? I want to make this realistic but fun too.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #388
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Are wargs intelligent enough to injure Toby and leave him somewhat unconcious by a tree waiting in the shadows to attack? I want to make this realistic but fun too.
If they are intelligent enough to speak and to devise this plan I'm sure that they could be smart enough to wound and leave Toby alone. Sometimes wolves wound a young deer so that it's call will attract it's mother so that the pack will get a larger prey. If wolves are that smart then I'm sure Wargs are too.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #389
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry for the double post

Alright, I got my post up. Sorry if it sounds too angry, Durelin.

That will be my last post until mid-July. I'll be going on a trip to Europe on June 26th and I won't be back until July 8th. Don't finish the RPG without me while I'm gone, and I'm looking forward to all the new posts when I get back!

Have fun with it,
Groin Redbeard
Old 06-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #390
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I need a few more days. I just moved today so I'm busy with other things
Old 06-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #391
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

No rush. I need to post, too... Was without internet for a bit, but at least have it back on one computer (everytime the our net goes down we have to re-install our wireless router...blah).

And Gorin can be as angry as he wants, Groin! And this is a few days late, but I hope you have a good trip!!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #392
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'm back from my adventures on the Finnish countryside. I will post as soon as I can - this seems so interesting! I'm glad this RPG has not totally died for the summer like so many do.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 AM   #393
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think Kuric should meet the wargs in morm's next post. And whoever of us others posts next should get us moving.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #394
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I think Kuric should meet the wargs in morm's next post. And whoever of us others posts next should get us moving.
Agreed. I've been struggling on how to post. I want to make it my best post. I'm also struggling with how to write up the battle scene for Kuric and the outcome...hopefully I'll get a rough draft in today and finalize today or tomorrow. For me though, the weekend was not a good time to post as it was a holiday in America.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #395
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Okay, the post is up. I hope it's up to standard. Please let me know if the battle sequence makes sense. I'm happy to change anything. I don't know if Toby is dead and Kuric for that matter. I somewhat prefer him to die but would like your input too. Anyway, he would be hard pressed to live after that exchange.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #396
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

If you morm want him to die, I think he should. It would be most credible so. And I think someone else should possibly die too. I don't want to kill any of the three currently in my care - Orin's death would be too tragic, Finduilas wouldn't have taken it kindly if I killed Lea and I honour her memory, and I promised to her I'd take care of Ash so it would be quite grotesque if I killed him off. Anyway, I think Toby is the obvious kill choice, but if someone wants to kill their character, they should go for it, in my opinion. The defenders shouldn't get through this too easily.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #397
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I'm not sure if Kuric says anything before he departs or not. If so, it would be to Gorin, to be sure, assuming he is still alive. It might be nice to ask him to bring news and his gear back to his home.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #398
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Well, something nasty should probably happen to Parkun...

Excellent post, morm! I always find it so hard to do a good battle scene (though I enjoy making the attempt). That was great!

So there were 3 wargs there, caught off-guard by Kuric, and the other 2 will soon return...but they will not be ready because they will return to find two of their comrades dead? The one injured by Groin, and then the one Kuric punched in the neck got finished off? (Wouldn't put it past me reading things wrong.)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #399
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Well, something nasty should probably happen to Parkun...

Excellent post, morm! I always find it so hard to do a good battle scene (though I enjoy making the attempt). That was great!

So there were 3 wargs there, caught off-guard by Kuric, and the other 2 will soon return...but they will not be ready because they will return to find two of their comrades dead? The one injured by Groin, and then the one Kuric punched in the neck got finished off? (Wouldn't put it past me reading things wrong.)
Well the way I wrote it was that there were 3 present. One was the injured one who is dying now, another who is dead and the biggest one of the 3 fully alive and well. I didn't describe it well but what knocked Kuric down was the two other wargs...I figured somebody could write up that post explaining that they had gone off for the ambush heard commotion and came running. The voice Kuric heard could either be Gorin calling my name or not it could be that since Kuric is dying he is hearing he kinsmen who have gone before him.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #400
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ah, I thought maybe it was the two other wargs. I'll write up something along with my next post for Parkun to give a little of the wargs perspective, unless someone else would like to.

We could place the rest of the "defenders" close enough at this point for Kuric to hear Gorin calling his name, but that's up to everyone of course. I like either reason behind Kuric hearing a voice.