The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ask Elrond...

There was a thread just before the Downs Downtime on Bomabadil which included a debate about what Elrond knew about him. I am not sure I want to get back into that since it got rather bad tempered, however it did occur to me that Master Elrond, the great lore master knew a lot about Middle Earth that his creator Tolkien didn't. It is one of the great strengths of Middle Earth, and for me a great joy, that it has been possible to explore via the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and HoME the vistas glimpsed in the works published in the author's life span, Nevertheless apart from the notorious Bombadil and Balrog wings there are various things that Tolkien either didn't ever mention, left incomplete or unreconciled: some of these must have logically been known to Elrond.

For example, and this will come as no surprise to those who frequent the same quizroom threads as me, I would love to know Gil-galad's parentage and indeed correct names. Yes I know the versions, that CRT regrets his choice for the published Silmarillion; but last word doesn't necessarily mean definitively final word, we know JRRT was scribbling notes pretty much to the end.

There are other things of course but I will wait until I have seen what, if anything piques the curiousity of others. What would you ask Elrond if you had the chance?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Where are Alatar and Pallando? Are they happy?

Can you find me some proper Avari and no, Eol doesn't count....
Old 06-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-Earth and Over-heave and of the Sundering Seas...

Seriously, though, I'd ask him to teach me a couple of these beautiful Elvish songs.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd ask why he chose to be counted among the Elves, and if he had any insight why his brother chose Men.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
What's the deal with the Stone Giants that Bilbo was talking about?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What's the deal with the Were-worms Bilbo was talking about...

And where in the name of all was Gandalf called "Incánus"?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I want to know when Gil-galad gave him Vilya - and when and how did Glorfindel get back.

I also want to know thwhy Eomer hadn't seen Arwen and Galadriel when they passed through Rohan en route to Minas Tirith, AND stayed in Edoras.

And Elladan and Elrohir... what did they decide. Maybe I don't want to know that since the answer might be too sad.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I wonder if for Elrond it was ever troubling to be counted among the Wise and yet to have never dwelt in the Blessed Realm or to have received direct communication from the Valar (as Círdan had).
Old 06-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #9
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots What I would ask Elrond

1. In your long life, meeting so many people, who impressed you the most, and who impressed you the least, leaving aside Morgoth and Sauron?

2. Were you one of the singing and dancing Elves who greeted Bilbo and the dwarves in The Hobbit?
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Why did you send Frodo to Mount Doom when it was already obvious that he wouldn't be able to destroy the Ring?
Old 06-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would want to know if I could take up residence once he left.

I would want to better understand how putting his power in a ring made Sauron more powerful.

I would also want to know what the fate of Túrin is after death.