The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #41
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
American Film Institute's list of top screen heroes and villians:-

Rounding out the top 10 list of heroes, in order: Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), Casablanca; Will Kane (Gary Cooper), High Noon; Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster), The Silence of the Lambs; ROCKY BALBOA (Sylvester Stallone), Rocky; Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), Aliens; George Bailey (James Stewart), It's a Wonderful Life; and TE Lawrence (Peter O'Toole), Lawrence of Arabia.

The rest of the top 10 villains, in order: the Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton), The Wizard of Oz; Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore), It's a Wonderful Life; Alex Forrest (Glenn Close), Fatal Attraction; Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck), Double Indemnity; Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair), The Exorcist; and the Queen (voiced by Lucille LaVerne), Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
No Darth Vader? Han Solo? (or Luke Skywalker?)
Old 09-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #42
Mansun

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Mansun, you sure can make me laugh

Should we not leave it as a difference of opinions?
Rune Son of Bjarne you must have an abnormal sense of humour then. Even the most biast of film critics can see that the first Rocky film, & possibly the second, were classics that are now almost as popular as they were in the 70s.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #43
Mansun

Perhaps Stallone could play a part in The Hobbit as Bard?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #44
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
But Rocky didn't have a bow that was John Rambo, so he would be known as Bard the Ram-BowMan.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #45
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
But Rocky didn't have a bow that was John Rambo, so he would be known as Bard the Ram-BowMan.
How does John Rambo rank with the characters in the LOTR? I would also have put him up there in the top ten alongside Rocky Balboa. Come to think of it, John Rambo would have made a very good Aragorn for the LOTR movies too, had Stallone been 5 years younger & a little taller.

Last edited by Mansun; 10-10-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #46
Mansun

Thumbs up Rocky Balboa

Well, the 6th film has finally come out. Rocky Balboa proved he was still the people's hero to this modern day. Do you think we will say this for the likes of Frodo & Aragorn in 20 years time?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #47
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
LotR (the book) has been around for over half a century and is going stronger than ever. I sincerely doubt that any action film hero of our time will still be that popular in 50 years. Actually, does he even have that size of a fan base today? I doubt it.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #48
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
If you guys are not serious, this thread is really funny.
If you guys are serious, well...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #49
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I think they are seriouse Lommy. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 AM   #50
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Oh no...

Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #51
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
LotR (the book) has been around for over half a century and is going stronger than ever. I sincerely doubt that any action film hero of our time will still be that popular in 50 years. Actually, does he even have that size of a fan base today? I doubt it.

It is only possible to compare the films.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #52
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I don't really understand why we need to draw parallels between two obviously different genres of story.

Rocky is human and people, in general, can relate to him.

Aragorn is not. We are not meant to relate to him.

Rocky is frosting, LotR is cake.

Two different types of heroes, both equally fulfilling a need that the people felt at the time.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #53
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladris
I don't really understand why we need to draw parallels between two obviously different genres of story.

Rocky is human and people, in general, can relate to him.

Aragorn is not. We are not meant to relate to him.

Rocky is frosting, LotR is cake.

Two different types of heroes, both equally fulfilling a need that the people felt at the time.

Why do we need to relate Santa Claus with christmas, when the real reason for celebrating lies with Christ? People make comparisons because they want to, regardless of whether it is not to the liking to his Lordship.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #54
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Mansun, you sure can make me laugh

Should we not leave it as a difference of opinions?
Did you really laugh??? That made me laugh out of sheer amazement.