The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring Six Degrees of LotR

<BR>I had an idea for a game to spice up the movie section. You know the game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? Now apply it to LotR. The idea is to link actors to the LotR movies and to see who can do it in the fewest number of steps. This might be better in the chat room, where speed would also be a factor, but what the heck, I thought I'd try it here to see if it's a dud or if it's fun. <br> <br> Example: You could link Lily Tomlin like this:<br> Lily Tomlin&gt;w/Bruce Willis in &quot;The Kid&quot;&gt;w/Ian Holm in &quot;The Fifth Element&quot; = 2 degrees for Lily.<br> <br> Another one:<br> James Gandolfini (aka Tony Soprano)&gt;w/Julia Roberts in &quot;The Mexican&quot;&gt;w/Denzel Washington in &quot;The Pelican Brief&quot;&gt;w/Bruce Willis in &quot;The Siege&quot;&gt;w/Ian Holm in &quot;The Fifth Element&quot; = 4 degrees for Gandolfini <br> <br> BUT</b>, this one would beat that: <br> <br> James Gandolfini&gt;w/Julia Roberts in &quot;The Mexican&quot;&gt;w/Mel Gibson in &quot;Conspiracy Theory&quot;&gt;w/Elijah Wood in &quot;Forever Young&quot; = only 3 degrees.<br> <br> If there's anyone who's not totally confused, give it a try!<br> <br> How many steps for:<br> <br> AL PACINO</b> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 3/14/01 3:07:07 pm<br></i>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 03:24 PM   #2
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Let's see, Al Pacino with Robert Deniro in The Godfather. Robert Deniro in Ronin with Sean Bean. Only two, pretty good I think. <p>It seems fate is not without a sense of irony.</p>
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 02:06 PM   #3
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Al was in <i> Carlito's Way</i> with Viggo! One degree. <br> <br> Okay, how about:<br> <br> TED DANSON</b> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 3/15/01 3:07:21 pm<br></i>
Old 03-15-2001, 02:14 PM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Ted Danson with Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan<br> Matt Damon with Cate Blanchett in The Talented Mr. Ripley<br> <br> Two <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 03-15-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Good one, Wight. This game might be too easy. There are too many big stars in LotR!<br> <br> Unless anyone can think of a direct link for Ted, you can name another actor to try for. <p></p>
Old 03-15-2001, 03:00 PM   #6
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> I don't know if you ever saw it, Underhill, but we used to play 6 degrees of Middle-Earth over in the Quiz Room. It quickly fizzled out because so many characters we so long-lived that it was too easy to find a tie in with them.<br> <br> Perhaps we should limit this to The Company of the Ring actors. <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 03-17-2001, 05:00 PM   #7
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Anyone want to try John Travolta? <p>Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>
Old 03-18-2001, 09:14 AM   #8
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Travolta to Bruce Willis in &quot;Pulp Fiction&quot;, Willis to Ian Holm in &quot;Fifth Element&quot;.<br> <br> only 2! <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-18-2001, 05:54 PM   #9
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Awe jeez, i didn't even see that one. I was thinking Travolta to Nicholas Cage in &quot;Face off&quot;, Cage to Sean Connery in &quot;The Rock&quot;. And Sean Connery to John Rhys-Davies in &quot;Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade&quot;. Three <p>Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>
Old 03-18-2001, 06:20 PM   #10
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> I'm putting Andrew McCarthy on the table...any takers? <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-18-2001, 10:41 PM   #11
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> I like this one. Andrew McCarthy was in Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis with Tim Matheson. Tim Matheson was in Jonny Quest vs. the Cyber Insects with Rob Paulson. Rob Paulson was in Scooby Doo Meets the Boo Brothers with Casey Kesem who is Meriadoc Brandybuck!<br> <br> Now try Bob Costas. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 03-19-2001, 11:13 AM   #12
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Costas w/Duvall in &quot;The Paper&quot;&gt;Duvall w/Matt Damon in &quot;Geronimo&quot;&gt;Damon w/Cate Blanchett in &quot;The Talented Mr. Ripley. That's three.<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 3/21/01 3:34:29 pm<br></i>
Old 03-21-2001, 02:29 PM   #13
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Here are some more actors to try, although some aren't hard at all, and some might be near impossible.<br> <br> Ben Aflek<br> Wesley Snipes<br> Donald Sutherland(wasn't he supposed to be in the LotR movie?)<br> Emilio Estevez <p>Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>
Old 03-21-2001, 03:03 PM   #14
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> You can get to Affleck through Damon (&quot;Good Will Hunting&quot as above, or you can get there this way: Affleck w/Joseph Fiennes in &quot;Shakespeare in Love&quot;&gt;Fiennes w/Blanchett in &quot;Elizabeth&quot;.<br> <br> Snipes: w/Sean Connery in &quot;Rising Sun&quot;&gt;Connery w/Kevin Costner in &quot;Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves&quot;&gt;Costner w/Elijah in &quot;The War&quot;. Three steps.<br> <br> Sutherland actually starred in &quot;The Art of War&quot; with Snipes, so you could get there through him with one extra step. Or you could go faster like this: Sutherland w/John Belushi in &quot;Animal House&quot;&gt;Belushi w/Christopher Lee in &quot;1941&quot;.<br> <br> Emilio. Good one -- but amazingly he's only one step away! w/Viggo in &quot;Young Guns II&quot;.<br> <br> Here's a few challenges:<br> <br> Peter Lorre<br> Vivien Leigh <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 3/21/01 4:38:01 pm<br></i>
Old 03-21-2001, 06:37 PM   #15
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Six Degrees of LotR</b><br><br> Arg, didn't even think of Young Guns II. Of course it was still possible. <p>Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>
Old 03-22-2001, 11:02 AM   #16
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Ben Affleck</b><br><br> Ben is just one, Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler in Armaggedon. <p></p>
Old 03-22-2001, 11:24 AM   #17
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Ben Affleck</b><br><br> Argh!!! You are, of course, correct. I had successfully repressed the animal-crackers scene, but now you've brought it all rushing back in a moment. <p></p>
Old 03-22-2001, 02:57 PM   #18
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Ben Affleck</b><br><br> Hmm, some more actors, think.<br> <br> Antonio Banderas<br> Teri Hatcher<br> Sylvester Stalone<br> Charlton Heston<br> Scott Baio<br> Sandra Bullock<br> <br> Just try and get them all, I did some extensive research on this one.<br> <p>Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>
Old 03-22-2001, 04:08 PM   #19
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Ben Affleck</b><br><br> Banderas w/Tom Hanks in &quot;Philadelphia&quot;&gt;Hanks w/Damon in &quot;Saving Private Ryan&quot;&gt;Damon w/Cate in &quot;Ripley&quot;. Three. Though I have a feeling it can be done in less. <br> <br> Teri Hatcher w/Pierce Brosnan in &quot;Tomorrow Never Dies&quot;&gt;Brosnan w/Annette Bening in &quot;Mars Attacks&quot;&gt;Bening w/Harrison Ford in &quot;Regarding Henry&quot;&gt;Ford w/Rhys-Davies in &quot;Raiders of the Lost Ark&quot;. That's four. Whew!<br> <br> Sly Stallone starred with Banderas in &quot;Assassins&quot;, so you could go that route in four steps. Let's see if we can do better... Stallone w/Richard Crenna in &quot;Rambo&quot;&gt;Crenna w/Richard Attenborough in &quot;The Sand Pebbles&quot; (great Steve McQueen movie!)&gt;Attenborough with Blanchett in &quot;Elizabeth&quot;. That's three.<br> <br> Charleton Heston. Easier than it looks, I think. w/Kurt Russell in &quot;Tombstone&quot;&gt;Russell w/Stallone in &quot;Tango &amp; Cash&quot;&gt;then follow the Stallone trail. <br> <br> Scott Baio! The only movie I can think of that he was in is &quot;Zapped&quot;, which also starred Scatman Crothers&gt;Crothers w/Nicholson in &quot;The Shining&quot;&gt;Nicholson w/Belushi in &quot;Going South&quot; (a somewhat funny western; worth a look)&gt;Belushi w/Christopher Lee in &quot;1941&quot;. That's four.<br> <br> Sandra Bullock w/Affleck in &quot;Forces of Nature&quot; (unwatchable!)&gt;Affleck w/Liv in &quot;Armageddon&quot;. Two. <br> <br> <br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 3/22/01 5:09:43 pm<br></i>
Old 03-22-2001, 09:49 PM   #20
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Ben Affleck</b><br><br> Curses, I thought I would stump you with the Scott Baio remark. At least tell me these were more of a challenge than the last batch. <p>Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>
Old 03-22-2001, 09:53 PM   #21
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Peter Lorre and Vivien Leigh</b><br><br> Okay-<br> <br> This took a lot of research, and my sister now thinks I'm crazy but...<br> <br> Vivien Leigh- Marlon Brando in &quot;Streetcar Named Desire&quot; - Al Pacino in &quot;The Godfather&quot;- with Viggo in &quot;Carlito's Way&quot; that's three<br> <br> Peter Lorre- Humphery Bogart in &quot;Casablanca&quot; - Katharine Hepburn in &quot;African Queen&quot; - with Warren Beatty in &quot;Love Story&quot;- with Sean Astin in &quot;Bulworth&quot; that's four<br> <br> <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-22-2001, 10:30 PM   #22
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Re: Peter Lorre and Vivien Leigh</b><br><br> Okay, I'm putting up a few more names-<br> <br> Liza Minelli<br> Vanna White<br> Melissa Gilbert<br> Christopher Guest<br> Steve Martin<br> <br> Have fun! <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-22-2001, 11:07 PM   #23
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Peter Lorre and Vivien Leigh</b><br><br> Excellent work, X! And Durelen, they were definitely harder! This is fun after all!<br> <br> I'll take a crack at those names tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it, though off the top of my head:<br> <br> Steve Martin was in &quot;Roxanne&quot; with Darryl Hannah&gt;Hannah with Harrison Ford in &quot;Blade Runner&quot;&gt;Ford with Sallah in &quot;Raiders&quot;.<br> <br> Christopher Guest in &quot;The Princess Bride&quot; with Carey Elwes (&quot;I am not left-handed&quot&gt;Elwes with Morgan Freeman in &quot;Kiss the Girls&quot;&gt;Freeman with Brad Pitt in &quot;Se7en&quot;&gt;Brad with Helena Bonham-Carter in &quot;Fight Club&quot;&gt;Helena with Ian Holme in Mel Gibson's &quot;Hamlet&quot; (he plays a great Polonius!). Actually, I could get there through Ford, too, with Pitt in &quot;The Devil's Own&quot;. <br> <p></p>
Old 03-23-2001, 11:34 AM   #24
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Melissa Gilbert</b><br><br> Melissa Gilbert is a real challenge. Has she even been in a non-TV movie? Can we use television? I think we'd have to in her case. Melissa w/Michael Landon in &quot;Little House on the Prairie&quot;&gt;Landon w/Lorne Greene on &quot;Bonanza&quot;&gt;Greene w/Dirk Benedict in &quot;Battlestar Galactica&quot;&gt;Dirk Benedict w/Mr. T on the &quot;A-Team&quot;&gt;Mr. T with Sly Stallone in &quot;Rocky III&quot;&gt;then follow the Stallone trail - Crenna&gt;Attenborough&gt;Cate Blanchett. That's eight though. Argh! There must be a faster way. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 3/23/01 12:42:07 pm<br></i>
Old 03-23-2001, 01:19 PM   #25
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Vanna</b><br><br> Vanna's another stumper to some extent. IIRC, she was in &quot;Naked Gun 3&quot; with George Kennedy (poor George, slumming since his Oscar winning days in...)&gt;&quot;Cool Hand Luke&quot; w/Dennis Hopper&gt;Hopper w/Costner in &quot;Waterworld&quot; (yes, I paid good money to see it in the theater!)&gt;Costner w/Elijah in &quot;The War&quot;. Hey, only four! Not so bad. <p></p>
Old 03-23-2001, 03:10 PM   #26
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> melissa gilbert</b><br><br> hint: Melissa was in &quot;The Miracle Worker&quot; with Patty Duke, I don't think that was on TV, though I could be wrong. <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-29-2001, 11:38 AM   #27
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: melissa gilbert</b><br><br> Okay, with the hint: Melissa Gilbert w/Patty Duke in &quot;The Miracle Worker&quot; (1979)&gt;Patty Duke w/Slim Pickens(!) in &quot;The Swarm&quot;&gt;Slim with Christopher Lee in &quot;1941&quot;. Much better -- only three!<br> <br> <p></p>
Old 03-29-2001, 11:47 AM   #28
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Liza</b><br><br> I realized I haven't tackled Liza yet: Liza w/Dudley Moore in &quot;Arthur&quot;&gt;Dudley w/Sean Astin in &quot;Like Father, Like Son&quot; (like Freaky Friday only with men). Only two! <p></p>
Old 03-29-2001, 03:54 PM   #29
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Re: Liza</b><br><br> You are too good at this!! <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 05-25-2001, 04:30 PM   #30
GandaIf The White
Shade of Carn Dûm

GandaIf The White has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Liza</b><br><br> This is the weirdest game I have ever seen. I guess this shows us how much time you guys have on your hands.<br> <br> :cheers: <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000064>GandaIf The White</A> at: 5/25/01 6:30:32 pm<br></i>
GandaIf The White is offline   Reply With Quote