The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum


Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #721
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perusing the laminated book of dreams
Posts: 4,510
Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Heh - yeah ... the Ranger thing. New rule for live games definitely needs to be: the mod must find out who the Ranger is BEFORE Night 2 starts. Otherwise these things will happen! Well, they will if I'm playing anyway.
__________________
Great udders of disappointment!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #722
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
If it was appropriate to post Glirdan and my trip to 7-11 for the necessary props for his proposal to Wilwa, I would call dibs on that.

However, all I can comfortably say is this:

Glirdan and I are both accomplished actors.
Indeed we are Fea, indeed we are!! It is a good thing that it this is a family site or else there would have been MANY inappropriate posts from us now AND then!!


Oh, and for all those who knew me when I first joined the Downs some four years ago...Everyone at the moot can attest to this.....I am this hyperactive in person! :P
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #723
Formendacil
Dead Serious
 
Formendacil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perched on Thangorodrim's towers.
Posts: 2,948
Formendacil is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Formendacil is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Formendacil is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Silmaril Bostonmoot 2009/10

I'm not yet fully rested from my incredible trip to Bostonmoot, and given that I didn't get a good sleep last night because I was dreaming that I was still there and was reliving having to leave, it may be a while before I am fully rested.

Certainly, it'll be a long time before I've fully sorted out what all happened. Bostonmoot came at a rather awkward time in the broader scope of my life, as I've been attempting to discern for the past semester and a bit of the summer, whether I'm heading the right way in life. Bostonmoot definitely had an impact on that, and hopefully for the good, but in the meantime I have a lot of mental and emotional baggage to unpack.

Enough about me, though--this post and thread should be about meeting other Downers, not meeting yourself in their company, even if that should happen.

Starting then with the Downers I already knew:

Nienna was every bit as awesome as I remembered. Insofar as we've been best chat-buddies most of the past few months, as I wormed my way ever so slightly into the ongoing planning and organizing of the Bostonmoot, it was great to see her in person again, and be best real-life buddies for a few days--subject to amused tolerance and the approval of various other actual real-life buddies. She's got to be something of a saint--or at least one of the most patient people I know--for putting up with and organising the whole lot of--and working some of those days to boot.

Feanor of the Peredhil deserves a round scolding for getting sick and not showing up until the day before she had to start school, meaning I hardly had any time with her, and when I did, I had to share her with the majority of the Barrow-downs... who are nice people and all, but hard to compete with in terms of shiny.

Brinniel also suffered from general lack of contact with on this trip. Part of this is because I am definitely an early riser--I was first to bed (the household curmudgeon) and first to rise (the household coffeemaker), more or less, the whole week, and Brinn is definitely a nightowl who sleeps in. We also have somewhat different attitudes towards doing things--Brinn is a sightseer, do-stuff-er, and I'm more of a moss-gatherer... so we didn't interact a whole lot on this trip (which is actually true of a few Downers...), but it was good to see her again, regardless, and her hospitality as the other resident hostess was also appreciated.

...and that's it for old Downers. Each of my three was present. Now I have so many more than three. In the order of meeting them, then:

Boromir88 is awesome, just for the record. He's one of the workhorses that kept the Moot running. He was in charge of our awesome turkey, cooked a number of other meals, and did half the cleaning during his stay, singlehandedly. He's not only a reliable cook, though--he's an awesome cook! And a more or less fun guy generally. While I don't think we had tonnes of overlap in terms of expressed interests, we got on fabulously well. I mean, we were glomping for fun (aka to annoy Nienna and Mira) within 4 hours of meeting. Boromir's pretty much the exact ideal in my head of a perfect brother-in-law... given that actual brother would probably be too squabbly.

Mirandir, too, is practically family now, in my books. Of course, as one of Nienna's roommates from last year, there wasn't complete newness when she sidled into our group. With no offence to the awesome Downers who came later, the 24 hours after Mira's arrival were probably my favourite part of the trip, as we drifted along in domestic/familial calm. There was no drinking then, or partying generally... just making meals, and making pies, and eating meals, and watching TV, and just hanging out. For someone who starts getting lost in groups larger than 6, because he can't focus, and who isn't a super-partier, it was awesome. Of course, Mira is just awesome on her own two feet, and had she come later in the week, I'm sure she'd still be my favourite. Whether or not she'd be my new adopted daughter, is another question. Definitely missing her, but also glad she got to stay the unplanned extra two days until I left too.

Rune son of Bjarne was our most exotic Downer--if Danes are exotic--and, I admit, I wasn't looking super-forward to him showing up, both because he was the first interruption of our awesome family, and also because I knew he was expecting to really get along with me... and I wasn't sure that we would. And, at first, I definitely thought that Rune was crazy over-the-top, with his random, wild, European humour and outgoing personality. By the end of the week, though, he'd definitely proven his point--we did get along quite well. In a weird way that's impossible to explain, he was both completely as I had pictured him after a lot of time knowing him online--and hugely different from his online persona.

Kath is simply a dear--an absolute dear. She's got the most amazing accent--Rune's is nice too, but not nearly so lovely. She is also just a lovely person. I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I would have liked--this becomes a quickly familiar story--but towards the end of the week, I did get more, even if never any real one-on-one. More Kath needs to be a staple of the future.

Diamond18 was not exactly what I was expecting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, because she looked like Diamond's pictures, could well have written Diamond's LiveJournal, and definitely seemed to recognize Boro and I when we picked her up. Unfortunately for getting to know her, she's a bit of a quiet Downer in a party that had a few loudmouths *looks guilty* Diamond definitely belongs on the list of "people I didn't get to spend much time with."

Encaitare--also a Downer I wanted to spend more time with. I feel a bit guiltier with her than most Downers I didn't hang out with maximally, both because she spend a chunk of the trip making me a hat, and because she was one of my favourite online Downers that I wanted to meet at the Moot, and while she proved to be every bit as awesome in person as I'd expected after the online version, I don't really think we spent much time together at all. Still feeling a bit guilty that I didn't see her off, but I've been wearing the hat almost daily since, and it is a great comfort in my dreary, cold, Canadian, life.

the phantom... well... the phantom is still a bit of an enigma, as I'm sure he intends. He didn't stay at the apartment, but had the sense (and money?) to afford an hotel, so he didn't get as much of the full-immersion bonding as the rest of us. I also daresay that the first couple days, he was deliberately presenting a bit of a deliberate protective façade of his online persona. It got relaxed after that, and I think he ended up comfortable with the lot of us... but I lost track of him as we reached maximum capacity... The difficulty was that, on the one hand, he generally only came to us, so I could only see him at the apartment, where one-on-one with anyone was easily lost, and also because when things got that crazy I either needed to escape or power down, and as the phantom was only around then, there wasn't much interaction. We also don't have tonnes of things in common, other than the Downs, but it's not as if we managed to discuss everything we do.

Glirdan and Wilwarin came in together--they are best friends in real life--and they are awesome. And I don't just say this because they augmented our Canadian stats at the Moot, or because they travelled 18 hours one-way on a bus to meet us... but because they are. Glirdan is full of energy, full of fun, and can honestly be everybody's best friend. He's also an amazing cook, and fully complemented the Boromir Team in the kitchen--both in making epic meals and doing entirely too much of the cleaning.

Wilwa is also adorable. I got more one-on-one time with her than most of the later arrivals, because I planned a couple of minor excursions to get out of the craziness of the apartment in the afternoons, and since they involved bookstores and libraries, they were tailor-made for a Wilwa. It was also really nice to find someone who agreed completely with my rural Canadian appreciation of Boston's awesome ambiance.

Shastanis Althreduin looked only a bit like I imagined--unlike most, I hadn't formed a proper mental image of him from pictures, chiefly because his Facebook profile picture is non-revelatory, and because I'm too lazy to have looked for more. He's awesome too. I was a bit afraid that I'd been too harsh with the whole "Shasta is a Werewolf, certainly!" thing, but he took it and ran with it, and he is now my official favourite WW. We didn't --again-- get much time to know each other, as individuals, but within the context of the whole party of us, I think I know him rather well. Whether he feels the same... you'd have to ask him.

Lariren Shadow and Alonariel came in together from California, and because Lari is the four of the roommate Downers that started with Fea, I sort of felt like I knew her, once I finally met her. I think we got along well, in the interaction we did have--a similar appreciation for snarky comments towards "popular" literature, and perhaps a similar attitude towards needing common sense in doing things. Because she arrived as late as she did, I didn't get a whole lot of time with her--again--but like Kath, she cropped up a bit more towards the end.

Alona is a dear. Yes, I know, there were a lot of them about. Not my fault! It was a sneaky pleasure to meet my other WW partner (with Nienna) from my last, and victorious, WW game, and also to "adopt" her as a younger sister for Mira. I got a bit more time with her, because she came along for one of the aforementioned bookish trips with Wilwa. It's lucky for me that she never dragged me into a store, put on a pouty face, and held up a desired article, because I may have spoiled her if she had...

Celuien was a Downer that has been sorely missed from activity on this site, so I made sure I was with the welcoming party to see her in, and as her farewell escort out, when she became the first to leave on Jan. 2nd--but apart from these two instances, I didn't get a lot of time with her, which is a pity, because she's a lot of fun to talk to, one-on-one. I was afraid, since she's so quiet--I daresay the quietest of our lot--that she would get lost and not have as much fun during the Moot, but she said she enjoyed it as I saw her off, and I am inclined to think she told the truth. Though definitely quiet, there were moments when it was clear she was enjoying getting lost in the shuffle.

I think I only met Rikae and Macalaure--and their were-duckling--after we got back with Lari, Alona, and Celuien from the airport. Or, rather, later that same day, because my first Wilwa expedition (Boro was also along) was after the return from the airport, but before Fea arrived, and Rikae and Mac only made their first appearance then. Unfortunately, they suffered from the phantom Syndrome--they had a hotel room--wisely, for the duckling--and thus were generally only around when things were craziest. So I don't really remember talking with them much at all, directly. But I did get to see them together, and with their little girl, and they are an adorable couple, with an adorable baby, and I'm just extremely impressed that they were willing to immerse themselves in a full-fledged cauldron of young craziness. Not that Mac and Rikae are old... but there's a certain reliability that comes with marriage and children that is absolutely lacking in the rest of us, it seems. Of all the Downers present, I probably spent time with them the least, which is a definite pity. I liked what I saw... but I mostly only saw, and didn't get to talk/hear.

And... I think... that's the lot, but there were so many, I'm almost afraid I've lost one. That'd be a pity... but, really, it's a sign of how awesome things were. I can't wait to see each and everyone of you again--and those of you who didn't come? I can only guess that you're just as awesome. Someday...
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #724
Formendacil
Dead Serious
 
Formendacil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perched on Thangorodrim's towers.
Posts: 2,948
Formendacil is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Formendacil is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Formendacil is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
As an addendum:

It was a real privilege to be on the welcoming committee for so many of you. As the first out-of-towner to arrive, I had the opportunity and volunteered for it, to meet people at the airport or train/bus station, and I'm glad I did. It was fun travelling with old companions to get new ones, and always exciting.

However, I'm even more privileged that, when I had to leave, although I had to be at the airport such that we left at 6:00, I had the entire apartment (sans only a Fea who was sick and had to go to school) coming to see me off. Granted, I suppose, I had to share you with Boromir, but even so--I felt very loved, and while it was unnecessary, I thank you all again for it.

Last edited by Formendacil; 01-06-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: I was thinking of thanks, not "thanking" of think.
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #725
alonariel
Wight
 
alonariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston has my heart
Posts: 238
alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote time!

While pulling an all-nighter before we have to drop off Kath and Rune, we came up with the brilliant idea of having quotes do the talking

Rune
"How do you play Sh*thead?" -Lari
"You need a sponge, five eggs and a tiger." -Rune

Alona
"Daniel Radcliffe needed prosthetics when he went on stage." -Kath
"Really?!" -Alona
"He's not actually...a woman." -Kath
"No, I know! But I thought maybe he was a bit self-conscious..." -Alona

Kath
"I'm on drugs!" -While playing Trivial Pursuit

Lari
"When I call you a whore, it means I love you."

Boro
"I like cheesy broccoli!" -Coming out of a dead stupor on the T

Shasta
"No, those are too big for you." -Glirdan
"Well you should know, you slipped one on me last night!"

Form
"I'm the pervy seminarian."

Mira
"Wifey!"

Nienna
"Children, children. Don't die crossing the street." -Our group-appointed Mom

Glirdan
"Rune, my Danish lover!"

Wilwa
"Hey Philip, I'll give you a French kiss!"

Phantom
"We should change the definiton of overwhelming to the phantom."

Mac
"WEREWOLF!"
"Darth Wader."

Rikae
"I'm scared to blink!" -While playing Murder

Were-duckling
"Nein."

Fea
"It's the one picture where i look half way decent, not sick or unconscious in Philip's lap."

Encai
"Sketchy puddle!"

Celuien
"BDers 1, Turkey 0."
__________________
"Puddle! Puddle! Oh, snow! Future puddle!"

Last edited by alonariel; 01-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.
alonariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #726
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
You've forgotten "Darth Wader."
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #727
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment
 
wilwarin538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,659
wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Those are amazing quotes, even though I think I may not have been there for half of them, but the other half are hilarious!
__________________
Comme une étoile amarante Comme un papillon de nuit C'est la lumière qui m'attire La flamme qui m'éblouit
Fenris Muffin
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #728
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia
 
Rikae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A glade open to the stars, deep in Nan Elmoth
Posts: 3,286
Rikae is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Rikae is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Rikae is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thumbs up

Ah yes. Darth Wader.


He actually has a few rules of his own:
1. Don't break the T.
2. Don't break the other T.
3. If you have a parking space in Boston at 7pm on New Year's Eve, hang on to it like "Fee" to the Phantom. Even if it's five miles from where you want to be.
4. Wear your awesome boots (Darth Wader always complies with this rule).
__________________
The skies of this world were always meant to have dragons. When they are not there, humans miss them.
~Yes, I'm a guy!~
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #729
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment
 
wilwarin538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,659
wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post

He actually has a few rules of his own:
1. Don't break the T.
2. Don't break the other T.
3. If you have a parking space in Boston at 7pm on New Year's Eve, hang on to it like "Fee" to the Phantom. Even if it's five miles from where you want to be.
4. Wear your awesome boots (Darth Wader always complies with this rule).

ahahahahaha. I love this, how did I miss this? I definitely always followed rule # 4!
__________________
Comme une étoile amarante Comme un papillon de nuit C'est la lumière qui m'attire La flamme qui m'éblouit
Fenris Muffin
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #730
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic
 
Shastanis Althreduin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In fire, water, earth, and air. But mostly water.
Posts: 2,619
Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
ahahahahaha. I love this, how did I miss this? I definitely always followed rule # 4!
So did Encai.
__________________
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #731
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit
 
Lalaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,772
Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Really enjoying all of this. Just one thing.
Quote:
She's got the most amazing accent
Kath doesn't have an accent. You lot have.
__________________
Out went the candle, and we were left darkling
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #732
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I certainly do now, Lal. I got roundly scolded for some spelling 'errors' in class this morning, I can't seem to call it an apartment any more ('flat'), when I'm angry, I must be angry, neither mad nor p*ed; also has transformed into as well; and I find myself eating crisps instead of chips, and chips instead of fries!

Thankfully I had a nice case of laryngitis for the duration of Bostonmoot, so my roving accent was inaudible.
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #733
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alona
Shasta
"No, those are too big for you." -Glirdan
"Well you should know, you slipped one on me last night!"
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Not even going to touch that one!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae

He actually has a few rules of his own:
1. Don't break the T.
2. Don't break the other T.
3. If you have a parking space in Boston at 7pm on New Year's Eve, hang on to it like "Fee" to the Phantom. Even if it's five miles from where you want to be.
4. Wear your awesome boots (Darth Wader always complies with this rule).
I can't believe I missed this!!


I would give my synopsis on the wonderfulness of what is Bostonmoot 2009/10....but sadly, as is the case and is most often my legit reason for not posting to Werewold ( ), I am little swamped in school and extra-curriculars. I will hopefully (crossing fingers tightly) get to it at some point this weekend, however, as there is much to say about everyone!

Oh, and before I forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy

Glirdan and Wilwarin came in together--they are best friends in real life--and they are awesome. And I don't just say this because they augmented our Canadian stats at the Moot, or because they travelled 18 hours one-way on a bus to meet us... but because they are. Glirdan is full of energy, full of fun, and can honestly be everybody's best friend. He's also an amazing cook, and fully complemented the Boromir Team in the kitchen--both in making epic meals and doing entirely too much of the cleaning.

This honestly just made my night!!!
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #734
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment
 
wilwarin538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,659
wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Ok I think it's my turn to write out as much as I can remember:

So Glirdy and I departed from home at 12 am on last Tuesday morning, got off in Ottawa, then got on another bus to Montreal where we got on yet another bus. The border held us up for an hour and then we finally, at 7:30 pm (do the math there, that makes it 19.5 hours) arrived at South Station in Boston!!!!!! We were quite excited, and up until this point still didn't really believe we were actually going, until we looked out the bus window and saw 4 lovely people holding a sign that read "--Devin, ++Vanessa". We got our stuff and very happily ran over to meet Mira, Form, Boro and Nienna. A long T ride later, with some interesting commentary from Mira and lovely Boro carrying my luggage for me, we arrived at the appartment!!!

Rune, Kath, Brinn, Shasta, Enca, Di and Phantom were all there, and we stayed up very late and had a great time and I shared Brinn's room with her and Enca and Kath for the whole week.

The next morning (wednesday) I woke up to find that a few people had run off to the airport quite early to pick up Alona, Lari and Celuien. (I really hope I'm not getting people mixed up, who arrived when is still a blur to me from that first day, haha, I can't remember when Rikae and Mac showed up, I just know they were there on the wednesday). Boro made eggs, which I did not eat because it was too early for me, but they smelt lovely. Then him and I and Form decided to go on a little excursion and ended up at Barnes&Noble, which was amazing and I could have stayed there the whole week.

We returned and before I could even get my boots off a bunch of people were heading out, so I decided to tag along! Kath, Brinn, Enca, Celuien, Rikae, Mac, Wereduckling and I all took the T downtown in search of a pastry shop which we eventually found and proceeded to butt infront of everyone else in line, but very discretely so no one noticed us, and I got some lovely chocolate cake. We eventually headed home because the Wereduckling was tired, but she had been marvelously well behaved, the best baby ever!

We all stayed up late yet again, and I believe we played Werewolf. The following day, the Thursday, was yet another excursion. Mira, Alona, Form and I took the T down to the Public Library to meet Nienna who was finishing work, and we had a nice little lunch. Then Form was kind enough to give me a quick tour of the older part of the library, because it was amazingly gorgeous and I could have stayed there all week. Then we met back up with the girls and went off to a comic book/cd/movie store and afterwards Alona and I found a little shop where we both spent alot of money and Nienna's feet got all wet and cold so we had to buy her new socks and Alona was put on Puddle Watch and then we headed home!

This being New Years Eve everyone got dressed up, I hadn't found a dress that would be easy to pack so I just went with dress pants and a blouse, but everyone else looked amazing!!! We stayed up late and watched the ball drop and I think played more WW. Many good times were had.

The following day it was decided, by Nienna, that we would have to leave at 11 am sharp to go to the Science Museum, and most of us were ready on time but we ended up going in seperate groups anyway. Some of us who had gone early had to meet up with Form, and then we had a little lunch and then met up with a bunch of others and we all went to the Harry Potter exhibit at the Science Museum and afterwards had lunch. Some decided to leave afterwards, but some of us chose to stay to look at the rest of the museum, which was so much fun and I could have stayed there all week.

We all kind of got seperated from each other and at one point Kath, who was in a different group then me, wanted to get in contact with me so that we could all leave. She texted Boro saying something like "We can't find Wilwa, what's her number?" so Boro told this to Glirdan, who immediately panicked thinking they had lost me and I was off by myself somewhere (when I was really with a few others), and he was sure my mother would kill him. Kath felt terrible later for the misconception. I thought it was all hilarious.

Then we all stayed up late once again and had a great time, and Shasta totally messed with me during a WW game and I won't ever trust him again. The next morning, bright and early, Mira, Boro, Form, Rune, Shasta and Alona all came along with Glirdan and I to the bus station to see us off. We got there quite early so we had some breakfast and then our goodbyes were heartbreaking. We couldn't stop hugging each other and didn't want to leave at all, but we were finally forced too. We of course immediately began to text each other and continued to do so randomly for the next 20 hours of our bus ride.

Boston was amzing and I could have stayed there forever.

I had an amazing time, so much more then I ever would have expected. I don't think I've ever connected with so many people so quickly, and loved so many people so much after such a short time. It was an amazing group, everyone was so great, and I felt very comfortable around all them. I want to go again, and I want to be able to see everyone again, and I definitely won't ever forget it. It was all so fantastic.

<3
__________________
Comme une étoile amarante Comme un papillon de nuit C'est la lumière qui m'attire La flamme qui m'éblouit
Fenris Muffin
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #735
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman
 
Boromir88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 7,065
Boromir88 is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Boromir88 is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Boromir88 is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Boromir88 is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Boromir88 is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Ok, so I'm going to use this time to talk about Celuien and her amazing defeat of the turkey. Glirdan and I tried to give it a tug, nothing worked. We went to get Mac to try and he says something along the lines of "Does it require violence?...ok" But by the time we come back Celuien triumphantly shows us the turkey is defeated! (You may of course steal my method, I am no Smaugeur when it comes to cooking )

Celuien was pretty quiet, and that always made me suspect her in WW, especially when she sat next to Enca, Enca just sat there knitting a hat and asking random questions. However, without her assistance this amazing nad fabulously epic turkey would have never made it to the table. In fact the entire dinner from Glirdan's mashed potatoes to Brinn's stuffing was a real nice New Year's Eve meal! And of course...cheesy broccoli at Panera!

(Photos courtesy of Devin)
__________________
I used to be for flip-flopping. Now I'm against it.

Fenris Penguin

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-08-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #736
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Silmaril Bostonmoot 2009/10

Okay, so I've had a little more time then I thought to put this together (seeing as I decided for the benefit of not only myself, but those around me that school would be a bad idea as I'm sick with a cold that seems to have been brought upon by Sauron himself). So, I will try my best to remember everything....

As Wilwa has already recounted, we traveled together on a bus from way up North in Canada....well, not WAAAAAAY up North, but North in our province (which is rather cold I might add)....for about nineteen and a half hours. Now I bet most of you would think that this is an incredibly long, and arduous amount of time to be spending with one person on a bus...And usually I would agree. Yet, as most of you know by now, Wilwa and I are actually best friends in reality, yet we hardly get to spend time with each other as our schedule's often conflict. So really, this long bus ride ended up being a wonderful time for us to sit around, chat, catch up, and most of all....SLEEP!! Yet, had my traveling partner been someone else, I don't think I would have had nearly as much fun nor gotten as much sleep as I did. There is a reason why Wilwa and I are best friends: she is a wonderfully awesome, caring, intelligent, and perfectly fun person to be around, as the others have already recounted. She is, in fact, the reason I originally joined the Downs and is also the reason I went to Boston and thus in turn responsible for my return here!! I love her like she is my sister (and if you ask her family, we pretty much are!!) and spent the entire bus ride there with her chatting amiably about things that were going to happen when we got to Boston, and who was going to be meeting us at South Station when we got to Boston, and how we could still not believe we were going to Boston. That was a big one that never really quite sunk in for either of us I believe....

Yet I digress. When we arrived at South Station, about an hour later then expected, we were greeted by the sign --Devin, ++Vanessa (that's right, I live to see another day people!) and the four smiling faces of Boro, Formy, Nienna and Mira, along with a rather...extravagant story told by Mira, one which I will not tell here.

I would go into the story of what I had done once we got back to the apartment, but Wilwa covered that already. And if you also noticed, her and I were not together very much, for as Form has already mentioned, I was part of the cleaning and cooking crew...Which meant I did a lot of grocery shopping and spent a lot of time at the apartment. However, on the few excursions I did manage to go on, there were wonderful stories and with amazing people and amazing memories in each, and I captivated most of them with my camera. If you want to see them, check out the Bostomoot page that's up on Facebook, for I would much rather tell of the amazing people.

Now the best place to start would be the beginning, and that would be Nienna in this case - one of our two lovely hostesses and one of the four amazing people the picked Wilwa and I up at South Station. Ni has got to be one of the sweetest, most caring people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. When I found out that her, Form, Boro and Mira were going to be waking up early to go to the airport to meet some other Downer's that were flying in, I volunteered to go. Yet she had said no. "You're one of the new arrivals, you're not expected to do anything." were her words as I recall. Yet, because of certain early riser *coughFORMcough* , I was up early anyway and accompanied them. Yet I digress....again....After countless WW games together and her yelling at me on Facebook to get my passport, it was amazing to have finally met this incredibly amazing Downer.

Formy was another of the four Downer's that greeted us at the station and was, to be completely honest, nothing of the sort that I had originally imagined him to be. He was better! Smart, witty, funny, and a great personality. Yes, all of this is definitely seen here on the Down's. But in person, it's so much more.....je ne sais quoi for all you Frenchies out there! I will say, out of all the Downer's that were going, he was one of those I was most anxious to meet as for me, he always held an air of mystery whilst I was talking to him, and all I wanted was for this mystery to be solved! And if you want a good laugh, get him to talk about his version of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight!

Now on to the final two who were there to greet us. Let us start with Mira. For me, a rather recent addition to the Barrow Down's family, one that obviously came whilst I was on hiatus...ugh...I mean....on leave of absence I knew before we left that there were going to be a few members I had never heard of or talked to before, so this was a rather nerve racking experience for me and I did not quite know what to think when we disembarked and I saw a face that was unfamiliar to me. Yet those fears were quickly dispelled as Mira flew off into a rant. About what shall remain anonymous for the safety of all those there! This crazy, fun, loud, obnoxious, sometimes overbearing, caring, secretly sensitive, beautiful young woman would soon become one of the few people that I spent most of my time with. All of our sparknotes conversations, cleaning/gutting the fridge and freezer out on New Year's Day. And I can't forget the T ride back from the airport after picking up Celuien, Alona and Lari, where Mira attempted to get some well needed sleep. And her pancakes were phenomenal! She was also a part of the cleaning and cooking crew for the duration of the moot. She was also one of the five people that accompanied Wilwa and I to South Station on the Saturday to see us off, which was a rather sad adventure, when we played one last game of Werewolf before catching the bus. And the entire time, she clung to Wilwa's leg, and clung to us as we were trying to get on the bus.

The last one (and this will be the last person I schpeal about for today) that was there to greet us was also one of those five who was with Miraas Wilwa and I departed the moot. Boromir88 has been a long time friend of mine on the Downs and was one of those I was most anxious to meet in person for we co-modded a few Werewolf games in out time together and he and I became rather good friends. He was just as I had always imagined him to be: fun, funny, outgoing, witty and caring all at the same time (something most of us Downer's seem to have in common). He was another one of the few I spent most of my time with, seeing as we were the part of the cleaning and cooking crew. and most of my excursions involved him. Our first excursion to the airport on my very first morning their was one with many laughs, even though we were all ( as in Mira, Form, Ni, Boro and myself) quite exhausted. For just like Mira, Boro decided to try and take a nap on the T ride back to the apartment....And he managed to. Yet as we were passing the Panera, and we were discussing the food there, Boro wakes out of his stupor with a cry of "THEIR CHEESY BROCCOLI IS DELICIOUS!!!" Definitely a memory of epic proportions as we were all close to tears of laughter after this. There was also The Epic Adventure of Boro and Glirdan Getting Lost in Boston ( I think this should be turned into a story book!! ) with many laughs for us and laughs at us as we found our way back to the apartment. And as I mentioned earlier, he was one of those who saw Wilwa and I off. And let me tell you, this guy is a softy that made me start balling (don't worry, you're not the only one to blame here ) as we were leaving the Station.

Anyways, I think that's a long enough post for now....I'll get to some of the others sometime this weekend....I hope!!
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #737
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony
 
Encaitare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: On the jolly starship Enterprise
Posts: 2,031
Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up Glowing green hand of approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
So did Encai.
I'm glad you made this connection before I had to. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Enca just sat there knitting a hat and asking random questions.
I was crocheting, goshdarnit, I thought we had established this!

I don't think I'm going to make an epically long post about everyone, but I just want to say that each and every person there was fabulous.

Nienna and Brinniel were excellent hostesses and plan-makers!

I was not expecting to encounter musical theatre enthusiasts like Shasta and Glirdan, but hey, that's just how my life seems to roll no matter where I go, and I love them both dearly!

My air-bed sharers Kath and Wilwarin were the best roomies ever! Such sweet girls, both of them.

phantom was a pretty chill guy with a scary good memory for WW games, and it turned out we had similar musical tastes, which was cool.

Formendacil kept blowing my mind with his somewhat suggestive sense of humor, which I had not been expecting at all. One of the more hilarious surprises of the trip.

Rune was a darling as always, and tolerated my teasing of him with great patience (or maybe it was just because he was stuck under other people for most of it.

Mirandir was a sassy lady and a lot of fun! <3

Boromir was so charming and a great cook -- while I didn't get a chance to try the turkey, his cheesy eggs were dee-lish!

Mac and Rikae were just lovely people all around, and little Annika was a joy to have there. Someday she will dominate us all with the power of cell phones!

Diamond and Celuien were both pretty quiet but very sweet.

Fea was awesome and gorgeous, I wish you had been feeling a little better, girl! Next time, right?

Lairen and Alona were two lovely girls who I sadly did not get to spend a lot of time with, but it was a pleasure to meet them, and I'm hoping to get to know them better next time.

I love my Boston family and wanted to stay in Apartment 23 forever and ever.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #738
alonariel
Wight
 
alonariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston has my heart
Posts: 238
alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Then him and I and Form decided to go on a little excursion and ended up at Barnes&Noble, which was amazing and I could have stayed there the whole week.
Wasn't the B&N there amazing?! I probably could have set up shop in one of the many stacks and been content to live there for a very long time.

Quote:
We eventually headed home because the Wereduckling was tired, but she had been marvelously well behaved, the best baby ever!
Agreed! She puts all the five-year-olds I work with to sore shame!

Quote:
Mira, Alona, Form and I took the T down to the Public Library to meet Nienna who was finishing work, and we had a nice little lunch. Then Form was kind enough to give me a quick tour of the older part of the library, because it was amazingly gorgeous and I could have stayed there all week. Then we met back up with the girls and went off to a comic book/cd/movie store and afterwards Alona and I found a little shop where we both spent alot of money and Nienna's feet got all wet and cold so we had to buy her new socks and Alona was put on Puddle Watch and then we headed home!
That store Chemistry was absolutely terrible for my bank account, but now every time I look at my new shiny wallet or the couple DVDs I bought at Newbury Comics, I smile, think of you guys and it's so worth it - though it does make me sad that there are no puddles here in Lafayette that I can spy out and warn people from stepping in.

Quote:
Then we all stayed up late once again and had a great time, and Shasta totally messed with me during a WW game and I won't ever trust him again. The next morning, bright and early, Mira, Boro, Form, Rune, Shasta and Alona all came along with Glirdan and I to the bus station to see us off. We got there quite early so we had some breakfast and then our goodbyes were heartbreaking. We couldn't stop hugging each other and didn't want to leave at all, but we were finally forced too. We of course immediately began to text each other and continued to do so randomly for the next 20 hours of our bus ride.
That was SUCH a hard goodbye. I think I deliberately made myself sleep for the next several hours after you guys left so I could avoid balling my eyes out some more.
__________________
"Puddle! Puddle! Oh, snow! Future puddle!"
alonariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #739
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare View Post
Fea was awesome and gorgeous, I wish you had been feeling a little better, girl! Next time, right?
I'm glad I managed to pull off a bit of awesome and gorgeous while sick. For those who don't know, I was diagnosed with strep throat the day after Christmas and had to delay my travel plans until I was no longer contagious. Finally starting to feel better, I made my way to Bean Town and caught the worst cold of my life and spent the rest of the Moot laryngitic and barely conscious. When I say barely conscious, I mean that this is a perfect synecdoche of my Moot experience: surrounded by incredible people who were having fun... and not quite getting the full experience due to being metaphorically and literally asleep.



Next moot? I will NOT be sick. And hopefully I'll also not be required to be gone from before dawn 'til long after dark each day.

You guys were so wonderful for humoring sick-and-pathetic Fea.

Can you imagine? A group of Barrowdowners together for days, and Fea is conspicuously silent.
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #740
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment
 
wilwarin538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,659
wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post

Next moot? I will NOT be sick. And hopefully I'll also not be required to be gone from before dawn 'til long after dark each day.

You guys were so wonderful for humoring sick-and-pathetic Fea.

Can you imagine? A group of Barrowdowners together for days, and Fea is conspicuously silent.

It was really aweful, and terribly depressing. Though you did still manage to look lovely despite your sickly state.

I won't let you be sick next time, you were one of the ones I did not get enough time with, and I won't allow that a second time.
__________________
Comme une étoile amarante Comme un papillon de nuit C'est la lumière qui m'attire La flamme qui m'éblouit
Fenris Muffin
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #741
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
It was really aweful, and terribly depressing. Though you did still manage to look lovely despite your sickly state.

I won't let you be sick next time, you were one of the ones I did not get enough time with, and I won't allow that a second time.
And if her being nice doesn't do it, I WILL BEAT YOU INTO HEALTH. <3

Err...I mean...I'm not violent...
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #742
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
And if her being nice doesn't do it, I WILL BEAT YOU INTO HEALTH. <3

Err...I mean...I'm not violent...
Haha!! And if THAT doesn't work, we'll take another trip to the seven eleven!!!
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf

Last edited by Glirdan; 01-08-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Fell into MSN lingo....
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #743
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perusing the laminated book of dreams
Posts: 4,510
Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
Err...I mean...I'm not violent...
Whatever you say wifey!
__________________
Great udders of disappointment!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #744
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took
 
Diamond18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: my own private fantasy world
Posts: 3,561
Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril meep

I'm impressed to see the posts recapping everything, but I don't dare try to attempt it. I think I prefer to communicate in knowing winks with the Downers who were there and lord it over everyone else. I mean, what?

No really, it was an amazing week, very intense for me because I was so out of my element, but I don't think I could adequately put the whole experience into words. This was the first time I met everyone (with the exception of Rune, who visited me two years ago). Some people I felt I knew rather well, whether from interacting on the 'Downs in my active days, or from LiveJournal, Facebook, or Instant Messaging. There were a few who I didn't know well, and some I didn't know at all.

I felt as if I "knew" Kath, Brinn, Fea, phantom, Form, Celuien, Encai, Mac and Rikae from various interactions. I <3 you all already, and am so glad I got to meet you in the real live physical world.

I recalled Glirdan, Shasta, and Boro from 'Downs interaction, but knew absolutely nothing about who they are in real life. Boro in particular was nothing like I imagined him from the 'Downs! I imagined someone older and far more serious. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he is, in fact, awesome. Glirdan and Shasta were amazing as well. I <3 you guys.

That leaves Nienna, Wilwa, alona, Lari, and Mira as people who were essentially Brand New to me upon meeting them in real life. They were awesome. I must admit that I was terrified of Mira in the beginning, probably because the first day I walked in on a conversation/argument about her having punched John and then Rune. But Rune should be punched whenever possible, so it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Michael Formendacil
Diamond18 was not exactly what I was expecting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, because she looked like Diamond's pictures, could well have written Diamond's LiveJournal, and definitely seemed to recognize Boro and I when we picked her up. Unfortunately for getting to know her, she's a bit of a quiet Downer in a party that had a few loudmouths *looks guilty* Diamond definitely belongs on the list of "people I didn't get to spend much time with."
Correction: I recognized YOU. Even after Boro introduced himself I didn't know who he was, due to my being deaf from the plane's descent. So there was an awkward few moments of "Yay Michael! Aaaaaand... other dude..." before it registered. Anyway, yes, the great not-secret of Diamond18 is that she is really a shy, quiet, socially awkward person in RL. I can do well in a smallish group, but not so much in a group of 20.... That may be the one thing I really regret about the trip. Many people left before I felt like I'd gotten a chance to have a proper conversation with them. Some people I barely talked to at all, and others I talked to only in the big group setting. While I did a lot of quietly observing I would have loved to have interacted more. But then, it did not help that I was still very sick the first few days and had painful sinus headaches much of the time, so was more or less out of it. Still, I very glad that I dragged myself to the airport and toughed it out. It was so worth it.

PS It was really difficult to convert everyone into Downer screen names for this post!
__________________
All shall be rather fond of me and suffer from mild depression.

Last edited by Diamond18; 01-08-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #745
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18 View Post
I must admit that I was terrified of Mira in the beginning, probably because the first day I walked in on a conversation/argument about her having punched John and then Rune. But Rune should be punched whenever possible, so it's all good.
Erm...have I apologized for that yet? Not that I actually remember it happening, but I apologize for terrifying you straight off. While I'm making apologizes, sorry Glirdan and wilwa for putting you through that rather...erm...intense rant five minutes after you got off the train.

Rune totally deserved it though.
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #746
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took
 
Diamond18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: my own private fantasy world
Posts: 3,561
Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

No worries. It's funny to me now.
__________________
All shall be rather fond of me and suffer from mild depression.
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #747
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment
 
wilwarin538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,659
wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
While I'm making apologizes, sorry Glirdan and wilwa for putting you through that rather...erm...intense rant five minutes after you got off the train.
Don't even, it was hilarious. <3
__________________
Comme une étoile amarante Comme un papillon de nuit C'est la lumière qui m'attire La flamme qui m'éblouit
Fenris Muffin
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #748
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Nienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: School
Posts: 643
Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
The Fabulously Epic BarowDowner New Years Shindig aka Bostonmoot 09/10 Part 1:

I’d like to begin by saying that these two weeks were probably the best I’ve ever had. They were definitely the best that I can remember. It was at times stressful and saying goodbyes were terrible but it was definitely fabulous and epic.

Now a list (this feels a little bit like WW) in order of appearance:

Form – was and is as fabulous as ever. We met in June and have been chatting online so he’s on the list of people I know but was super excited to see anyway. I don’t believe we ever got lost and I’m sure he’s happy that he didn’t have to help carry a couch this time. He was a big help with menial tasks like peeling potatoes and he fabulously cooked dinner for me, Mira, and Boro on their first night here. Though he did need step-by-step instructions on how to cook pasta and also needed a frantic “OMG MICHAEL YOU DIDN’T TURN OFF THE STOVE” (our stove is gas so there was an open flame). He also sang us the Canadian National Anthem. It was epic.

Boro – got a little lost at the airport and had to call me so that we could say that he pretty much walked past us. We also only required 3 forms of picture ID so that we would know it was really him. I was instructed and asked quite nicely to wear red to the airport so I indulged and was greeted with a Boro wearing a sign that read: “Looking for the Lady in Red”. After we brought him home and got him settled in we went out for lunch and then to the store where we tried to purchase some alcohol but had to come back because Formy forgot his passport and they wouldn’t take a strange Albertan drivers license. We then had to walk back up and down the hill to my apartment but thankfully it was really warm outside. We even managed to make it back in time to go pick Mira up from the bus station. The four of us (Boro, Mira, Form, and I) were also a happy family and had a pretty epic grocery shopping trip. Boro was our fabulous cook. He made wonderful turkey and chicken and was pretty much amazing. He also spent more time than was necessary cleaning (not that I’m complaining at all… I really appreciated it). Boro was nice, caring, funny, and a great listener. He’s on the list of people I’m making move to Boston just to be near me… which happens to be a pretty large list.

Mira – is one of my lovely Elmira people and I love her to pieces. I was really excited we got to spend a lot of quality time together and hopefully we didn’t get too clique-y on people. When we got to the bus station to pick up Mira her bus was running a bit late so we just hung out and then she arrived and we glomped. For those of you who do not know what glomping is there is running and jumping and hugging involved. Form and Boro decided that it would be fun to mock us so they glomped as well. We were not impressed. Over the course of the meet we had some wonderful chats and she was part of the epically fabulous cleaning and cooking crew. Her pancakes were fabulous though I do take a bit of credit at it is my favorite pancake mix which I made her buy and bring.

Rune – was next to arrive and he effectively ended our “family” that you’ve heard mention. Mira was a bit sad but he quickly found his way into our hearts. We picked him up at the airport and Mira and Boro threw a football (Tony Jr.) around while we waited. His plane was a little delayed so thankfully we checked the status before we left to go get him. Sadly Rune and I didn’t get very much one-on-one time but from what interactions we’ve had he’s an amazing and caring person. He very kindly brought me a few books from Denmark and it was very touching that he thought to bring me something. He quickly became known as the Dane or even the Danish (hehehe) and it seemed like he fit in with us quite well. Rune is actually still in the states and stopping back here again before flying out so I look forward to a little more time to get to know him.

Kath – was picked up at the airport by Brinn who was flying in at pretty much the same time. Our first interaction, then, wasn’t until they arrived at the apartment. Even though it has been mentioned a lot I’m going to reiterate how amazing and wonderful Kath is. She has a fabulous sense of humor and gets along well with everyone. She also has absolutely no problem lying to your face, which makes WW and other games with her tremendous fun. Kath also has a fabulous way of putting Rune in his place and as soon as she arrived it was hysterical watching our Europeans interact. We’ve also picked up many of her fabulously British phrases and words because they are just more fun. At the beginning of the Meet we were having a serious debate about Soda vs. Pop and soda was inching out just a tad bit when Kath chimed in with “fizzy drink” … needless to say that even though there was only one person who called it fizzy drink that became the new term. Kath is a lovely person and she now has a special place in my heart.

/Part One... images courtesy of Form.
__________________
Puddle! Puddle!
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #749
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill
 
TheGreatElvenWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Walking off to look for America
Posts: 2,326
TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to TheGreatElvenWarrior Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatElvenWarrior Send a message via Skype™ to TheGreatElvenWarrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
He quickly became known as the Dane or even the Danish (hehehe) and it seemed like he fit in with us quite well.
But everybody knows that Rune is the only person who lives in Denmark.
__________________
The Party Doesn't Start Until You're Dead.
Please visit TeaGEW's! Tea party jewellery by yours truly! A real shop, where you can spend real money!
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #750
Lush
Fair and Cold
 
Lush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the big onion
Posts: 1,803
Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

ZOMG you guys are so presh!

Love it.
__________________
~The beginning is the word and the end is silence. And in between are all the stories. This is one of mine~
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #751
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
He quickly became known as the Dane or even the Danish (hehehe)
No 'the.' Just Danish.
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #752
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perusing the laminated book of dreams
Posts: 4,510
Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
She also has absolutely no problem lying to your face.
Ha! Nienna I love this line. Was worrying what it was about til I read the rest!
__________________
Great udders of disappointment!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #753
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna
At the beginning of the Meet we were having a serious debate about Soda vs. Pop and soda was inching out just a tad bit when Kath chimed in with “fizzy drink” … needless to say that even though there was only one person who called it fizzy drink that became the new term.
YAY!!! FIZZY DRINK!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira

While I'm making apologizes, sorry Glirdan and wilwa for putting you through that rather...erm...intense rant five minutes after you got off the train.
Don't bother!! It was entertaining as I've said countless times and it doesn't change the fact that I love you!!
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #754
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The Sick Girl's Take

Many know that my plans were greatly waylaid.

Christmas with the family, Boxing Day with my own personal Formy and Nienna. Start gathering others immediately.

As we all must sometimes learn, even the best laid plans are sometimes tragically altered by the idiocy of others. Thanks to irresponsible parenting of a relative, I managed to acquire and cultivate a strain of strep throat that distinctly interrupted my arrangements.

And so my first bit of Mooting was done over google chat ("Are you serious, Ni? You want me to sit in front of a camera while you, Formy, Mira, and B88 watch me be all sick and horrible looking?" "Yes. You. Video chat. Now."), and was followed by a few speakerphone interruptions of their festivities.

"You'll never believe it, Fea, you and Sally just called us at the exact same time!"

"Oh," I smirked into my phone, "That is soooooo coincidental!"

I sent an MSN smiley at Sally, who I must say sounds a bit like a drug-addled Martian robot from the perspective of one listening to her speakerphone-voice through a speakerphone.

Finally I was no longer contagious, could eat solid food again, and was on my way. I arrived to the Moot five days after expected, after a long ride that included being stuck behind three plows and two tractors.

I dialed Ni's number as we pulled up to Apartment 23. "I need at least one boy, stat."

"Stick isn't good enough?"

"If Stick (Mira) wants to haul twelve days of my luggage - plus presents - up to fourth floor, then sure Stick's good enough."

"She and Formy will be right down."

Within seconds, a camisole wearing Stick - and a much more sensibly dressed Form - emerged into the 35 degree afternoon and I was glomped so hard my teeth rattled.

Into Apartment 23 we went - I being the last arrival to the Moot - just as the majority of Mooters were on their way out the door!

"Fea, you should try to guess who is who!"

I eyed Rune, who was highly identifiable (our resident Viking), and Kath (who was clad for the cold as thoroughly as a ninja, her face covered almost entirely), and thought I could maybe do this, except I was exhausted and a bit overwhelmed, and who was this small sleeping figure on the couch next to the sleeping figure that was Alona? And this charmingly handsome dark haired fellow immediately in front of me, who I couldn't quite label on the spot, but whose smile made me feel immediately more comfortable.

I would learn later that the sleeping form was Shasta - who could sleep quite literally anywhere, at any time - and the smiling stranger was Glirdan, who for some reason I may never have actually looked at a picture of prior.

The majority, including the Wereduckling, who I was sad not to snuggle (but I was afraid to get her sick), left, leaving me with my Ni, my Formy, my Stick, my Mira, my Lari, plus a sleeping Shasta and Alona, and Boro.

Some late Christmas gifts were exchanged on the down low - ask Formy if you wish to see what Lego-Laura, Lego-Kelly, Lego-Michael, and Lego-Rude-Waiter look like - and some relaxing was accomplished. Some catching up was managed.

A lot of huggling ensued.

Later, everyone returned, propelling me back into immediate exhausted overwhelmedness.

Within minutes, however, I was comfortable again, reuniting en masse with Form, Nienna, Alona, Mira, Lari, Rikae, Mac, Wereduckling, and Brinniel, and acquainting myself better with Wilwa, Glirdan, Encai, Rune, Kath, Shasta, Celuien, and Diamond.

Some hours later, the moment of truth arrived: or, I should say, the phantom arrived.

I perched on the couch, feigning disinterest, and watched him look around the room, nodding or greeting or otherwise taking things in.

And then his eyes fell on me. I may have raised an eyebrow.

I should mention that this occurred during the too-short 24 hours during which I was not actually ill.

We barely interacted, which amused me.

Not long after, it was ordained that we should all play werewolf.

"I can't," I argued, "you have no idea. I've only just gotten over strep; I'm taking penicillin four times a day. I've literally only felt functional for about a day, and I've been up since 6:30 this morning. I just spent all day in the car. With my parents."

"You have to play," the phantom said, raising my hand for me.

"Fine." I said. "But if I have to play, then you have to sit down, hold still, and be my pillow."

He was somehow okay with this.

The next day was - yes, Rune, I'm going to say it - epic.

New Year's Eve.

By the time I arrived, others had given up on the notion of personal space. By the time I'd been in residence for more than a few hours, I'd given up on the concept as well. As pictures will clearly illustrate, laps became chairs, smooches were freely traded, and everyone looked astonishingly attractive.

I must repeat what the phantom mentioned to me several nights ago: we, the Barrowdowners, are one fine looking group of people.

The telly was turned on close to midnight, and everyone that drank had a tequila shot in hand, and as the ball dropped, there was one intensely dramatic kiss in the room that absolutely nobody witnessed, as all eyes were on the television, or buried in their liquor.

I shall leave it up to you to guess which two Barrowdowners locked lips as the New Year commenced. (I bet you'll be wrong in your guess).

I - tragically - went to bed. I had school on New Year's day, and every day after since (I've only just gotten home).

As such, I left each morning before most were awake (Rune occasionally stumbled out to say a few words, before going back to bed, and I usually had Formy to keep me company as I got ready for school, and some nights people hadn't gone to bed, so I emerged from whichever room or patch of floor I'd gone to sleep on, blearily waved, and stumbled through my morning routine), and returned most nights long after the Mooters had spent the day doing awesome things.

This is probably the moment to mention that New Year's Day I fell completely and totally ill. Again. With something new.

Still medicating every few hours for strep, I managed to fall so ill that I - your belovedly loudmouthed Fea - had no voice for days. I squeaked my commentary at whoever was close enough, sometimes repeating my squeaks until they could eke out meaning and share it with the larger audience.

It made for a total inability to take advantage of comedic timing, since my witty reparte - when I was alert enough to attempt wit - was quite muted.

In any case, here I shall cease and desist my babbling about being ill. I merely wished to preface that due to illness and a very busy academic schedule, I was unable to spend half as much time with half as you as I should have liked, and less than half the time with half of you that you may or may not have deserved.

I am completely and desperately in love with every last member of my Apartment 23 family, and I hate that I had to send you all home. At least my horrifically exhausting schedule meant that I could avoid painful goodbyes at trains, buses, or planes, or you'd have seen me cry every time I lost one of you.

I will be seeing you again, all of you. Or else.

I hope the love is reciprocated. You are all astonishingly wonderful human beings, and it was my privilege to meet those I had not met, and to rekindle my friendships with those I had.
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #755
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
And this charmingly handsome dark haired fellow immediately in front of me, who I couldn't quite label on the spot, but whose smile made me feel immediately more comfortable.
Awww, shucks!! You're making me blush!!

Quote:
I will be seeing you again, all of you. Or else.
That sounds slightly threatening! Although, if I hadn't met you in person and hadn't had that....ahem.....adventure....with you, I would be a little more alarmed!!

And I'm sorry that I haven't continued my posting on this. I hope to do it soon...actually I might disappear until the Werewolf game starts and do a bit of that....

So I may have one up by the end of the night....well, end of my night
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #756
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
Although, if I hadn't met you in person and hadn't had that....ahem.....adventure....with you, I would be a little more alarmed!!
I'm counting on you, Glirdy.
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #757
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Bostonmoot 2009/10 Pt. 2

Okay, so here's my continuation...how many people can I get through this time?? We shall see!! But where to start is the question as there are so many people to get through seeing as a giant group of them were there once Wilwa and I had arrived with our escort.

We shall start with.....

Kath, our resident exotic speaker (along with Rune of course!) and the one with the heart of gold. No jokes!! I never really got to speak to her much on the Downs, except in Werewolf games really (and we all know how those turn out. ) and so it was rather nice to finally meet and speak with her in person. I will also mention that (and Wilwa can attest to this) Kath and Rune were the two people I was most excited to meet. As an actor, I have a tendency of doing something that is known as "people watching". Sometimes it's unintentional (people are just fascinating sometimes) but this one was going to be completely intentional. I'm actually really surprised that I did not stand there for hours on end just making both of them speak so I could hear their accents!! Anyways, sadly, I did not get to spend as much time with Kath as I would have liked, but the few times we did manage to get to speak, they were wonderful. And she is also the reason I will be calling pop (soda) fizzy drink instead! Yes, it was Kath that started this bandwagon! I absolutely cannot wait to meet this wonderful woman once more and hope to spend a little more time with her.

As for our other exotic European (I do love you guys and you know it!), I spent a little more time with. Rune and I spent much of the time at the apartment together, and ended up sharing the floor as a bed one night! I would also like to say that Rune and I were very good friends when he and I first joined the Downs, which was approximately the same time if I am correct. Anyways, there were many different adventures had with this Dane (as he soon became known as). The first was my very first trip to the grocery store with Rune, Fea, Lari, Diamond and Mira. I had heard the story of Rune's excitement at the price of meat the day before (it happened to be one of the first stories told to us by our escorts {Boro in this case} once Wilwa and I arrived) and was sort of expecting what was to happen to happen....yet nothing to the extent that it did happen! As soon as we walked through the door, Mira took one look at Rune, noticed the bored look upon his face and told him to go play in the meat section. And he did so....with a hop, a skip and a jump to set him on his way!! The sight of this Dane, skipping through the grocery store to the meats was enough to set the rest of us into giant fits of uncontrollable laughter for a good five minutes! Yet this was not the first field trip I had with Rune. Earlier that day, him, Diamond and I went on a long adventure to go find the post office, and we stopped in at a pub for lunch. Rune is definitely one of a kinda. Behind the tough, witty persona he puts on, there beats the heart of gold. Kind and caring, our Dane set me to tears with the copious amounts of hugs that I received as Wilwa and I were boarding the bus for home. I am extremely happy to have finally met him and cannot wait to see him again.

Diamond is another total sweetheart. Quiet, a little shy, but funny and outgoing all at the same time. I had a lot of fn with this Downer on our rather long adventure to find a post office (with Rune) in order to send out a post card! The three of us stopped many times on what should have been a fifteen minute walk to take pictures of the scenery. She is also a dangerous Werewolf player for she remains quiet, yet when she does speak, there is always really good thoughts put forward, so you're afraid to vote and lynch her off. And I would like to apologize to her for my rather good luck at surviving a day longer then I should have! Don't kill me!!

Enca was another rather quiet member as she sat there for a good portion of it crocheting a hat for Formendacil. Which also made her a very dangeroud Werewolf player (and if memory serves me correct, she did in fact end up being a Wolf and almost managed to get away with it!) I also did not get to spend much time with Enca, which is rather sad as she was one of the ones I was looking forward to meeting. But what I did get to know of this Downer, I have nothing bad to say about her (or any of them for that matter....except Mira but she knows I'm kidding and love her! ) and really cannot wait to meet her again and hopefully spend more time with her.

That's all for today. I'll do another four sometime this week....if not, then next weekend hopefully!!
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #758
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perusing the laminated book of dreams
Posts: 4,510
Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Kath is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
So I've been commenting, but the amount of energy needed to create a post like some of the ones above? Wasn't quite there yet! Had some nasty jet lag which is fading now. I thought you were supposed to get it when you went from the UK to America not the other way round, but whatever. Anyway here goes. It is 2am, and the only reason I'm up is because this lag business meant I slept 12 hours last night and now can't sleep - so we'll see how far I get.

I arrived after a very boring plane ride into the welcome arms of Brinn. They were very welcome, as I had no way of contacting any 'Downers since my phone turned out not to work internationally, so I was filled with relief to find her stood there! I'd met Brinn before so we hugged and chatted very easily all the way to my new home for the week. Brinn's a great talker - ooh and I thought of a quote for you after going through my pictures: "Why is the rum gone!?" (As it happens, the rum was gone because Shasta and I had drunk it.) She's also very funny and was very generous in giving up her room to those who liked to sleep past about 9am! And poor sick Fea.

Upon arrival at said new home I met Rune, Nienna, Mira, Boro and Form. Do excuse me if I'm getting times/places/order of 'Downers wrong but it all blurred together so nicely I can't remember! Rune of course I have met far too many times already so we got on easily, and I immediately ruined any chance he had of being taken seriously by the others to his dismay and their delight. Finland all over again eh Rune? But no, Rune is hilarious, teasing, teasable and just generally good fun. I may have felt a very badly disguised desire to slap him when he was being all that and my tooth was hurting but apart from that short incident all was well! Given my reunion with Rune I'm afraid I spent less time than I should have speaking with the others, but I'm actually shy with those I don't know so I think I was mostly with Rune and Brinn that first evening. Then I passed out on Mira's couch (totally dressed and with my T pass still in my pocket!) and thus woke up the next morning terrified that she was going to murder me.

Luckily, Mira is a gem. She informed me that death was not a natural effect of stealing her couch and after that we got on famously! I have also met Mira before, but on that occasion we only met for a few hours and she was practically bouncing off the walls because Lari was there too. This time, she was still bouncing off the walls, but we actually got to spend quite a lot of time together on various trips and just in the apartment and it turned out that we have a lot in common! Mostly food I'll admit, but that can be a very strong bond. I may have sat and whispered snarky comments in Nienna's ear the whole time her and Boro's American football game was on, but it was only said with love. Our chance meeting in the kitchen in search of food and our subsequent other two trips and the feeding of both ourselves and the others with bacon cemented our relationship and we're now awaiting our rings.

Nienna I saw less of than I would have liked for she is very funny and so lovely. Her reactions to my tired grumblings about rugby for wusses, ahem, American football and my total lack of respect for the very silly pictures the commentators were drawing on the screen showed a shared sense of humour and during the last couple of days when there were fewer of us and she was joining us in card game magic we got to interact a bit more, only confirming my view of her as a person I'd love to see more of. I'm also immensely impressed by her organisational skills - I saw that spreadsheet and it was, to use the word of the Moot, epic! She kept us all in line beautifully. She also has excellent taste in books. The Library Lion? Awwww.

Boro I have but two words for. Master chef! To me, who cannot (well, will not) cook this is an accolade indeed. I think I speak for all of us when I say that I would happily have Boro live with me just for the food! Except not just for the food, for he is also very good company. I had never really interacted with Boro much outside the 'Downs so I had no idea whether we would get on, but as it turns out he's an incredibly easy guy to get along with and very generous, happily going out to get lost with Glirdan on that lost-wilwa occasion that I am still feeling very guilty about!

Form I feel to have spent little time with. I suspect this is due to our conflicting schedules. He naturally gets up, oh, 4 hours before I do! And for someone who claims to naturally be lazy he seemed to be constantly on the move! Actually, to be fair, he was mostly picking people up from airports/stations and doing a very fine job of it. On the odd occasion we got to sit and have a nice chat he was very funny and it was hilarious to watch him reveal his subversive humour to a newcomer who would stare in shock and giggle nervously for a bit. Having spoken to him on MSN this sense of humour didn't surprise me. That said, reading his Annotated Twilight would shock anyone! There is a picture of Glirdan and myself reading it, and I think our expressions say it all! This man has a healthy career ahead of him writing satire if he ever wants to!

The next day we met Shasta, wilwa and Glirdan, and in the days after phantom, Di and Encai. Well not all on the same day I don't think, but fairly close together!

Shasta is one of the funniest guys I've met. He slotted in to the group like he'd always been there. Brinn and I were on duty to meet this particular 'Downer, and it didn't go well as we went to the wrong terminal and then we were eating when he arrived. Also, I had no idea what he looked like so I was relying on Brinn entirely! When he arrived, he didn't see us until he was already on an escalator and then when we finally met him I accidentally exploded a packet of frozen biscuits - don't ask. Luckily he found all of this hilarious so I realised we'd get on well! He is a master of card games, and will one day have to tell alona and I how on earth he manages to make California Speed a short game, and was often a member of the 'stay up all night so I can be awake to say goodbye to those leaving early' crew. Which is actually surprising given how much the boy sleeps! It also turned out that he liked English musical shows that I have watched so we bonded over that. He was also a wonderful companion at the Science Musuem and played with everything.

wilwa - ah wilwa. I don't think that anyone who meets wilwa would ever be able to say a bad word against her. She is an absolute sweetheart and I can see why Glirdan is so protective. I got to spend a little more time with her as she shared Brinn's room too - which was brilliant because she turned out to be an early riser so whoever was on the floor got to steal her bed space when she left - so we had some nice chats. Her reaction to the condo prank by Glirdan (aided by Fea) was brilliant, she got phantom to show his soft side and she allowed us to take photographs of her with alcohol even after demanding that we didn't when she arrived. To be honest I think we corrupted her a little, but then she probably made us better people! I love wilwa, and I'm so glad I wasn't there when she and Glirdan left because it sounds like it was devastating!

Glirdan was just a joy. I'm thinking the constant singing and general 'up' ness might have caused me to try and murder him, if it hadn't been for the fact that he was just so funny with it all! It's thanks to him (and Shasta) that I'm now hooked on Glee and our joint reading of Form's Annotated Twilight was brilliant. He'd have it open, I'd be reading one comment, he'd be reading another and we'd both feel it was imperative to point the comments out rather than just waiting for the other to get there. Therefore it took us about four times as long to read each page as it should, which just added to the joy of it all. New Year's Eve was just hilarious, the love between Glirdan, Rune and Boro was simply beautiful. I have also never met anyone who, while somewhat distraught as well as utterly lost, takes pictures of their lost state! Definitely one of a kind this chap.

phantom was a funny one. When he arrived he was very much 'the phantom' as he comes across online and a little distant, hiding behind his laptop and his werewolf book. Now, I'm as much a fan of werewolf as any other 'Downer that plays, but unlike most I have a complete inability to remember what happened in a given game. I truthfully do not remember who won the game I modded, despite the fact that when I mentioned this at the Moot Brinn actually told me. Therefore, after about 3 hours of discussing the finer points of individual games courtesy of his book, I wasn't feeling overly warm toward him. However, over the following days and especially with the arrival of wilwa and Fea, phantom became less his online persona and more himself and with that much easier to get along with. In fact he and wilwa made a very sweet pair, especially as she just could not stop stroking his head! After New Year's Eve he seemed to be more relaxed around us, and even played with the wereduckling a bit!

PAUSE: Ok, so it's now 3am and while I'm not sleepy I feel sleep is called for. Therefore I shall take a break here and continue later on today! Hmm, bolding names first though.

By the way, how many times did you others read through and discover you'd put real names down instead of 'Downs ones without realising even though you were trying not to? I found two occasions, and am worried I have missed more!
__________________
Great udders of disappointment!

Last edited by Kath; 01-10-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #759
Glirdan
Energetic Essence
 
Glirdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where Lark Nor Eagle Ever Flew
Posts: 3,449
Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I had never really interacted with Boro much outside the 'Downs so I had no idea whether we would get on, but as it turns out he's an incredibly easy guy to get along with and very generous, happily going out to get lost with Glirdan on that lost-wilwa occasion that I am still feeling very guilty about!
Don't!! Honestly, I thought it was rather humorous!! I'm surprised Mira or Alona or Lari didn't tell you about what I had said AFTER my freak out!

Quote:
Glirdan was just a joy. I'm thinking the constant singing and general 'up' ness might have caused me to try and murder him, if it hadn't been for the fact that he was just so funny with it all! It's thanks to him (and Shasta) that I'm now hooked on Glee and our joint reading of Form's Annotated Twilight was brilliant. He'd have it open, I'd be reading one comment, he'd be reading another and we'd both feel it was imperative to point the comments out rather than just waiting for the other to get there. Therefore it took us about four times as long to read each page as it should, which just added to the joy of it all. New Year's Eve was just hilarious, the love between Glirdan, Rune and Boro was simply beautiful. I have also never met anyone who, while somewhat distraught as well as utterly lost, takes pictures of their lost state! Definitely one of a kind this chap.
This whole thing honestly made my night so much better...which is a good thing because I've been having a terrible night. I'm quite flattered that you find me funny because I don't try to be! and yay Glee and the reading of the Annotated Twilight! And I'm glad you found the love beautiful because I don't remember it...well, sort of. As for the pictures whilst Boro and I were lost....yeah...I do that....

Quote:
By the way, how many times did you others read through and discover you'd put real names down instead of 'Downs ones without realising even though you were trying not to? I found two occasions, and am worried I have missed more!
Actually, once....that's it. And it was while I was writing this one...Although everyone's RL names do pop into my head and make it rather difficult sometimes.....



And before I forget, I'm really quite glad you didn't murder me. We wouldn't have been able to enjoy all that fizzy drink!! Yes, I will say this for the rest of my life.
__________________
I'm going to buy you a kitty, I'm going to let you fall in love with the kitty, and one cold, winter night, I'm going to steal into your house and punch you in the face!
Fenris Wolf
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #760
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
my Stick, my Mira
I has become two people!

Quote:
The telly was turned on close to midnight, and everyone that drank had a tequila shot in hand, and as the ball dropped, there was one intensely dramatic kiss in the room that absolutely nobody witnessed, as all eyes were on the television, or buried in their liquor.

I shall leave it up to you to guess which two Barrowdowners locked lips as the New Year commenced. (I bet you'll be wrong in your guess).
Oooh ooh, I know, I know! *jumps up and down*

---

So this one time...I'm ridiculously bored at work. This means I'm FINALLY going to do my epic post of epicness. Yeah. Be happy.
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.