The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
How to escape the Nazgūl

When the Fellowship travels from Bree to Rivendell, they are chased by the Nazgūl. They try to escape them by walking along little known paths in the wilderness. they walked during the day and sleeping at night, with a watch by the fire.

Is this really the best way to deal with the Nazgūl? The Nazgūl is stronger during night, would it not make sense to be alert and moving during this time ? It would also be easier to keep a watch during the day.

What do you think would be the best strategy when trying escape the Nazgūl?

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 08-15-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Well, I think it was the best way because Aragorn thought so and they did make it to Rivendell, even if it almost cost Frodo his life...there really is no easy way to avoid a Nazgūl...they happened to do just the right things to barely escape.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Aragorn had two objectives to balance during the flight from Bree to Rivendell: to avoid the Nazgul and to reach Rivendell with the hobbits and the ring as quickly as possible.

Moving through the trackless wilderness at night would have slowed the group down considerably, giving the Nazgul very much more time in which to find them.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selmo
Aragorn had two objectives to balance during the flight from Bree to Rivendell: to avoid the Nazgul and to reach Rivendell with the hobbits and the ring as quickly as possible.

Moving through the trackless wilderness at night would have slowed the group down considerably, giving the Nazgul very much more time in which to find them.
I would say that the main objective would be to reach Rivendell safely and without loosing the ring, with time only being a secondary thing. The Nazgūl has yet to show the abillity to track people down in the wilderness, they tend to stick to the normal roads and known landmarks. . . and still with Aragorn's expertice, he and the hobbit would hold a great advantage. Even in the dark.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Sting

I would say that moving at night, when the Nazgul are strongest, would have been more likely to attract their attention.

When you are hiding at night, you are still in a world where most things (at least humans and hobbits) are still. At night the senses of the Nazgul are as sharply focused as they ever are, and their powers of fear and terror are greatest.

During the day, travellers normally move, hunters hunt, rangers range , and there is all manner of movement in the wilderness. So if you move during the day, at least you don't call so much attention to yourself by doing so.

Just my $.02, probably worth exactly what you paid to read it.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Run away from them.

...wait, you were serious.

Run away from them.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I think Aragorn had a pretty good strategy. They stayed off the main roads, and went through the marshes. This did slow them down, but the Nazgul didn't like water, or was that deep water... anyways, they weren't caught until they reached Amon Sul.

Truthfully, after that point in the journey, going anywhere but the main road would have taken way too long to be a plausible choice, and that's why the Nazgul caught them. At that time they were on the path the Ringwraiths would look on, and so were caught.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 AM   #8
calandil
Pile O'Bones

calandil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien he he!!

fly,you fools
calandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Technically, from Bree to Rivendell, they were chased by BlackRiders . The wraiths were on horseback and it is harder to get horses through thick woods, brambles, marshes that's why they kept to the roads.

I agree that it would have been better to move at day when the riders were at a bit disadvantage.