The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2003, 09:36 PM   #201
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
My "RED BOOK OF WESTMARCH!"/There and Back Again S. Gamgee journal! LOL--haven't looked at the art, yet.
(the latter was a really pleasant surprise, I wasn't expecting it yet).
OOPS! Upon opening it, I realized it's NOT the book I thought it was (the one with the "interesting" art, but just a lined journal. The man selling it had several books up for auction, and I thought they were all the same thing. I lost the auction on the book with the "Robin Hood gone very wrong" pic of Faramir in it (or was it supposed to be Aragorn?)

However, later today I got a "second chance" email--evidently this guy had more than one copy of the book with the "interesting" art, and offered it to me for my original bidding price. I figured, "I'm getting paid again in a couple of weeks, what the heck?" So I'm getting it too.

As for the "Red Book", I've kept a yearly journal since 1983, so I may use it next year...or, I may just keep it as is, not sure yet. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It's just too nice to send back.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 04:36 PM   #202
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I got a cold which gave way to the beginning of my LotR Action Figure Collection!!! Wheeew!! I wouldn't own then before because I thought they were degrading to the actual features of the actors/actresses, but I changed my mind. I got Frodo first, of course. I couldn't believe how much he looks like Elijah!
Together my sister and I have:
~T.T.T. Frodo with light-up Sting
~Helm's Deep Aragorn
~FotR Merry and Pippin 2-pack
~Galadriel
~Eomer
~Witch King (in Ring-bearer perspective)
~Elven prologue warrior
(I was so upset that they didn't have Sam! *Gimli grrr* Next I'll probably get Theoden because he's the only one left that I can get in my area and don't have.)

(I also got "The Two Towers", but I'm hiding it to surprise my sister.)
Old 08-30-2003, 06:09 PM   #203
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Yours are the Toy Biz Action Figures, aren't they? They're just great, I think. The detail is just amazing.

I finally have a Frodo, now, to go with my soon to be 3 Sams. I MUST have a Frodo to go with Sam. For me, they are NEVER going to be separated again! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 08-30-2003, 10:09 PM   #204
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Woo! Updates! I love shopping!

-Of course, I now have my shiny new TTT dvd...

-I just bought a Frodo t-shirt from Hot Topic. I loooove it... I think I'll wear it on the first day of school...

-I forgot my lovely animated LotR movies. How could I?! I have both "The Lord of the Rings" and "Return of the King"

Btw, here's the link to Hot Topic for the Frodo t-shirt. I haven't seen it anywhere else, and I thought you guys might like it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] They have a bunch of Legolas shirts, too, for you Leggy fans.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:12 PM   #205
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I'm afraid to leave it at my desk in case it 'disappears',
LOL---oh, you have a desk from the "Abyss" collection, too? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I now have:
  • Sam and Frodo in the Elven Boat (WOW--what a lot of detail!) [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
  • Burger King Sam
Don't think I've mentioned them....I'm getting a tad confused with all this stuff... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ September 04, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 08-31-2003, 06:35 PM   #206
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I wouldn't own them before because I thought they were degrading to the actual features of the actors/actresses, but I changed my mind. I got Frodo first, of course. I couldn't believe how much he looks like Elijah!
Lily: The Toy Biz figures have incredible likenesses to the actors. I have 5 Frodo's, and they all look a lot like Elijah. But the 'Frodo in orc armor' looks exactly like Elijah. Amazing! You won't believe how addictive/obsessive these figures can become. I never collected (or paid any attention to) action figures before, but Samwise talked about her Sam with his skillet, so I started looking at them. Now I can't stop!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
OH! I forgot to mention my Sam and Frodo in the Elven Boat!!!!! Wow, what a lot of detail....

I MUST have a Frodo to go with Sam. For me, they are NEVER going to be separated again.
Samwise: Frodo and Sam in the Elven Boat is one of my favorites. They just look so awesome sitting in the boat with their paddles, leaving for Mordor together. It's impossible to have Frodo without Sam, or Sam without Frodo. They're like two halves of one heart...

A small update: I got my lithograph (like yours Stacey), the 3 sets of cards (Frodo, Boromir & Legolas), the Sean/Elijah photo, and the Twilight Frodo with 2 Ringwraiths from the eBay spree. I still have a large set (72 cards) of cards and my "One Ring" still to come. I also found (at SuperTarget) the 'Aragorn at the Pelennor Fields' (in his Gondorian armor with Andśril). My friend found Éowyn in armor (dressed as Dernhelm). He had the nerve to buy the last one and then bring it to show me..the ratfink!
Old 08-31-2003, 09:35 PM   #207
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

The Action figures are something, aren't they? I haven't been into action figures since I was a kid....these are totally cool.

Recently I also ordered (from ebay -- bad bad BAD....... 2" Frodo and Sam--Attack at Weathertop
After the talk about the 3" figures on here, I started hunting and found this one. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Again, Frodo and Sam, TOGETHER as they should be! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I think I'm caught up telling about everything I've gotten so far... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
It's impossible to have Frodo without Sam, or Sam without Frodo. They're like two halves of one heart...
Oh, I like that. May I put that in my quote file? (I have a collection of quotes, too...) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

These are a couple more of my fave quotes from Barrowdowners (not 'cause of who they're about...I just like the way they were put.)

Quote:
Compliments once recieved...
Frodo Baggins -- short, hairy feet, curly brown hair (no kidding, I think of him as a hobbit)
Samwise -- also short and with hairy feet; I'm sure he and Frodo are really hobbits; after all Tolkien says there are a few around.
~Child of the 7th Age

Two gardens? Wow! What a Gamgee you are! ~ Reyna Evergreen
Old 09-01-2003, 10:10 PM   #208
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Quote:
It's impossible to have Frodo without Sam, or Sam without Frodo. They're like two halves of one heart...

Oh, I like that. May I put that in my quote file? (I have a collection of quotes, too...)
Samwise: Of course you can! I'm glad you liked it. I really like it as well..so much so, that I added it to my signature.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:26 PM   #209
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Ooh, goodie!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Very cool quote is in my quote file, now! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, tomorrow it's back to work for me after the summer, but I will continue to be my Samwise self because I will be surrounded by children! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

When I get home, I hope to have yet another peice (or two) from the 'Spree'.....
Old 09-01-2003, 10:29 PM   #210
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I was so upset that they didn't have Sam!
WHAT!?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] And these people call themselves merchants!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #211
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Well...this afternoon came Sam #3--Sam Gamgee in Orc armor. Goodness the detail in these things.....the look on his face is a combination of anger and determination... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I think, since this one is mint in the box, I may keep him there. I do have two other Sams, now, and...well, the Orc armor certainly isn't as becoming as Sammie's regular duds. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 08:57 AM   #212
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Amarantha, Wow! those t-shirts are cool! I really like the Rivendell and Lothlorien tees on Tolkientown but they are currently out of stock!

Ya know guys, I just might be persuaded to sell my Pippin cloak card on e-bay. Some of those babies are going for upwards of $75!

Oh, my newest acquisitons are a Legolas bobblehead and some cardboard store displays.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:36 PM   #213
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

What I would like next, Miss Rae, is a Hobbit cloak (NO HINTS THERE! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Someone was selling a couple they had made on ebay, but they just weren't "right" somehow. And I don't sew...SIGH.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 07:42 PM   #214
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Silmaril

Quote:
Amarantha, Wow! those t-shirts are cool! I really like the Rivendell and Lothlorien tees on Tolkientown but they are currently out of stock!
Ooo! I saw those! I *love* Tolkientown... Awww... They were sooooo pretty... *sigh* but...yeah. The whole "out of stock" thing... And they don't get a new shipment soon, either. I think they said the next one was coming in like...four months. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I want one as soon as they come in...

Yum...e-bay had been my latest obsession. I can't buy anything...my parents have something against it. I could probably talk my dad into letting me, but gor now... I just surf around.

...That sounded familiar. Have I written that before?... I think I have...
Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #215
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
I still have a large set (72 cards) of cards and my "One Ring" still to come.
The cards and Ring have come. Cards are WAAY cool, but ring a disappointment. It's actually the exact same ring that came with my Frodo & Frodo/Sam bookmarks. I was expecting it to be a little different. Oh, well..that's all of my original purchases. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop. I also 'won' a set of 4 postcards, another large set of cards, a Frodo/Sam fridge magnet (the unconscious Frodo pic), a 5 pound & a 100 pound note (british money) drawn on the 'Bank of Elijah' with his picture instead of Queen E. Oh, and the dvd for 'The Bumblebee'. Plus, I'm bidding on 'Try Seventeen' dvd & 'Paradise'. I gotta stay off eBay...

Wooohooo!! Just noticed..I'm finally a Shade!! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 09-06-2003, 01:57 AM   #216
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I am getting impatient right now...
I ordered the ROTK posters, but they have yet to come. Originally on the site they said that they would be shipped out on Sept 5, but now it says that they won't be shipped out until the 10th. Which I guess is okay, but I really want those posters [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh and I also got a lovely One Ring in silver from a booth at a festival that I went too. It looks like the ones that they sell at Tolkientown, but I paid much less for mine.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #217
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

I have been SOOOOOO bad...went back to ebay. Didn't get 'Try Seventeen' or 'Paradise' yet (but I will eventually), but did get 'Flipper', and a cd-rom with 5,200 (count 'em--5200) pics of Elijah, including wallpapers. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Not got any of the newer stuff, except 'Bumblebee'. It came really fast! I only won/paid the auction on the 5th and it was in my mail yesterday. Of course, I had to watch it last night. I really liked it. The more I see Elijah or Sean in other films, the more impressed I am by their talent.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:25 PM   #218
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Quote:
a cd-rom with 5,200 (count 'em--5200) pics of Elijah, including wallpapers.
Wow Alatįriėl, you sound like me. I'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff, though my shrink says I shouldn't.(just Jkn')

My LOTR stuff includes:
-Special Edition LOTR book set,
-The Hobbit, The silm., and the UTs
-My stuffed Frodo doll,
-Official movie guide,
-Movie companion,
-Making of the movie(this is a good one)
-A set of the playing cards,
-4 bookmarks(Frodo, Saruman, Aragorn, and Sam.
-2 movie posters, one from each movie,
-A recording of Tolkien reading FOTR
-Various magazine clippings including one interview from McClains of Elijah,
-4 self written fan fictions and 2 from the downs(one is Dude, where's my ring)
-and of course the vhs of both movies(I don't have a dvd player)
and more that I can't remember, I've made a shrine basically, so I have all my reference material in one place.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #219
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Recently I also ordered (from ebay -- bad bad BAD....... 2" Frodo and Sam--Attack at Weathertop
Today they came.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Haven't had the chance to get them out of the box yet. Again, WOW, THE DETAIL! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

A Ringwraith came with Sam and Frodo...under it's hood it looks hollow. I'd kind of be afraid to stick my finger in there to see if there was actually a head, or if it's just a molded hood...*ulp* [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Odd, though...at least I thought so...a note from the seller came which reads(well, okay, I won't bore you with the whole note, just the part that struck me wierd):
  • PS: Look for Helm's Deep environment later this week!

Helm's Deep? For one, unless I missed something, I didn't know I was getting that, and two--
Why is she giving me Helm's Deep with a set called Attack at Weathertop? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Oh well..... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img][ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
{EDIT AGAIN}
Wait, maybe she meant to look for it on ebay...oh, whatever... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 09-10-2003, 06:51 PM   #220
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

Quote:
-My stuffed Frodo doll
Ooo! Ainaserkewen, did you buy it or make it?

I want to make stuffed Frodo and Sam dolls... If you go to "Build a Bear" you can get one of those 'lil things you put inside the dolls so that when you squeeze it it makes noise...and you can record your own sounds, too! *squee* I want to make stuffed hobbits that talk...

Hmmmm... I hope you can buy those recorder thingies... I don't know if you can buy them seperately or if you have to make a bear with one...
Old 09-11-2003, 05:24 PM   #221
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
I want to make stuffed Frodo and Sam dolls... If you go to "Build a Bear" you can get one of those 'lil things you put inside the dolls so that when you squeeze it it makes noise...and you can record your own sounds, too! *squee* I want to make stuffed hobbits that talk...
Amarantha, be sure to let us know if you figure out how to do that or find directions on how to make them. I would have to have a "Frodo" doll and a "Sam" doll, cause you can't have one without the other, you know. You could record Frodo saying "I'm glad you're here with me Sam" and Sam saying "Samwise the Brave" (or some other favorite line from the movies). [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2003, 09:47 PM   #222
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOOH, yeah, I like that!! I want a pair, too!

Here to report that I recieved the last item(s) from the "spree" a while back ago....
  • The Official Illustrated Movie Companion: The Lord of the Rings The Two Towers Visual Companion (a book with cool pictures and a forward written by Viggo Mortensen)
  • A 2001 Tolkien calendar with illustrations by John Howe (yeah, too late for use but the pics are really cool.)
  • and 4 Collector cards (movie cards: not from that game)
  • One: That pic of the Hobbits with their swords drawn: it looks as if the wind is blowing or something--From FOTR
  • Two: From FOTR: Pic of lots of nasty-looking Orcs headed for battle
  • Three:The Elves and Men (I think) either prepared for the same battle or at Helm's deep--hard to tell.
  • Four: Aragorn on his horse: From the Return of the King [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
That's my report for now. Just wanted to bring this topic back up so all the new folks can share about their collections with us! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2003, 01:53 PM   #223
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Ooo! Ainaserkewen, did you buy it or make it?
Actually, I bought it. It's great to have a little frodo waiting on your bed for you to get home. I found it in a Real Canadian Super Store in Alberta. It really looks like Elijah Wood too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
always eating chicken?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #224
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Well--it may not be an authentic replica, but I just may have my Sting yet!

Take a peek! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 PM   #225
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Well, I haven't posted on this part of the site for awhile, but I did just get my two ROTK teasers a couple of weeks ago. They are absolutely beautiful! My personal favorite is Gandalf, it is very trumpant, and white [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Additionally the Frodo one is really beautiful too, but the picture of it is kind of sad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] and it tugs on the heartstrings. You feel so sorry for the poor guy.

Samwise, have you looked at Target. Because the last time I was there I think I saw that one. It is cool though. I am glad you may almost have a Sting [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2003, 12:45 AM   #226
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Target? Haven't been there in a while, but I'll take a peek next time I'm there. Haven't been outbid on the other, though.
Quote:
I did just get my two ROTK teasers a couple of weeks ago. They are absolutely beautiful!
Are these posters, or...? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #227
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

• Wayfarer
  • Ringbearer
  • Stranger or Friend
  • Rest here a while
  • And take up your pen.
(c)1979 Michael Green

Well, I recieved A Hobbit's Journal today, the one with the pictures. I personally didn't think any of the pics were so bad--just maybe not the way I would have pictured them. (ie: Elrond with a beard? )
LOL...Ugluk and friends? That's being kind.
The pic of Frodo I thought was perfect. Looks a tad "haunted", like he's had the Ring a while.
Faramir? A little too Robin-Hood-esque, yeah, but "Gone very wrong?" Not to my eye. Eh. Everyone has a different eye for this stuff......

Very interesting, a neat collectible. Not sure if I'll write in either this or my "Red Book, though, or just keep them as they are. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 01:38 AM   #228
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Quote:
Are these posters, or...?
Yes they are.
Now that means I have 7 LOTR posters
1 for FOTR, 3 for TTT, and 3 for ROTK. And additionally I still have the final ROTK one to add.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:13 AM   #229
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have these Burger King peoples:

Ary

Sammie

Flodo

Gimmi

Pippi

Saruman (& his stickered palantir of frightfulness)

I think that's all my bk peoples. They live a messed up life [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I also have the RotK Aragorn! This is the only one that actually looks like Ary... but he looks constantly angry! hehe..
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 12:53 PM   #230
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White-Hand

Hullo, Naz, welcome to the thread, an' to the 'Downs, as I don't think I've said so already.

I was only able to get one of the Burger King figures, my "Sam", but that was off of ebay. Aside from Frodo to go with him, Sam the one who takes up the majority of my collection, anywhoo. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Gorwingel:
Hum....since my father painted the inside of the house, I feel weird putting up posters in my room. They have little fasteners from 3M that aren't supposed to hurt your walls, but....I don't know. I still feel wierd. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
The little Frodo magnet I have is based on a poster design, though--leastways I think so--it has Frodo in the background, and in the foreground, really tiny, are Sam and Frodo being led through the Dead Marshes by Gollum.(TTT).
Old 10-13-2003, 10:58 AM   #231
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I've added several books, some new, some old, to my collection. I bought The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy, which promises to be a fascinating read, and The Hobbit graphic novel, which has nice drawings and keeps much of the original dialogues. I "inherited" a Tolkien biography, J.R.R.Tolkien, Architect of Middle-Earth from one brother and Bored of the Rings from the other. The latter seems to be a first printing of the paperback, 1969, with some rather strange artwork on the cover.

I also bought a "One Ring" bookmark just because it looks cool...

Oh, and I've finally found some good pictures of the figurines that come with the children's chocolate eggs in Germany - here they are:

FotR
TTT
RotK (coming in November)

I have the first two series and am looking forward to collecting the third!

PS - Oh, I almost forgot the biggest purchase - I finally splurged on J.R.R.Tolkien, Artist and Illustrator - lovely pictures by the man himself!

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #232
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have "Artist and Illustrator", and like it very much! What is this graphic Hobbit? Is that the same as The Annotated Hobbit I've seen at bookstores? I love The Hobbit...if it's graphic, I want it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #233
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

A graphic novel is basically a sophisticated comic book. I really like this one; it has very good drawings and sticks to the original text as much as possible. It's published by Ballantine and probably located with the other graphic novels - it wasn't with the Tolkien books where I bought it. I could well imagine it being enjoyable as an introduction to the book for kids, but it's certainly not done in a Disney style, so adults can enjoy it too!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #234
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm, I see! I'll have to investigate next Time I'm at Barnes and Noble! Thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #235
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Silmaril

Oooo! That graphic novel sounds good! I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Of course I can't buy it right now... I'm kind of broke. Went on a shopping splurge...

I just added to my collection...

-A Nazgul figurine
-The Tolkien Reader (I'll be reciting Tom Bombadil for days! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
-The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy (You're right, Estelyn, it sounds good! I love philosophy...)

Woo! I'm proud! I wanted to buy the set of figurines of Boromir, Merry and Pippin, but they didn't have them in stock... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 08:23 PM   #236
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Quote:
and The Hobbit graphic novel, which has nice drawings and keeps much of the original dialogues
Estelyn, do you think you could post a picture of the cover of the graphic novel that you bought? Because I have seen the graphic novel that I think you are talking about, and additionally I have also got to meet the artist who did the cover (or at least the cover on the U.S. verson) which if anyone wants to know is amazing, and is completely different than any Tolkien related art I have ever seen. Though after seeing the cover (which I was immediately drawn too when I saw it at Barnes and Noble), I was a tad bit dissapointed when I looked in the book and found that the drawings were very different.

Oh, and additionally the graphic novel that I saw was a paperback, so I don't think it would cost a huge amount of money.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #237
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Graphic Novel? That's not the same as "Illustrated Version" is it?
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 AM   #238
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

It's called "An illustrated edition of the fantasy classic" and is, as I said, basically a glorified comic book. Yes, the cover is an awesome picture, and though the drawings inside are comic style, I like them and think they're well done. Here's what the cover looks like:

It is marked to cost $15, but I've seen that Amazon offers it for less...
Old 10-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #239
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have posters and postcards which cover all 4 walls of my room and most of the ceiling. Never thought to cut out newspaper articles, though [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I have...I think it's 9 action figures, various books although my favourites have to be 'A Hobbits Travels' and the journal version with similar illustrations (both blank books.)
Old 10-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #240
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I've decided that I'm sick of wasting my money(better spend on movie tickets) on LOTR stuff(see my list above, I've spent alot already) So I had an idea that I'm making a poster collage of all the LOTR adds and pictures from magazines and newpapers. My collection is huge and the poster is going to be huge too. Did you know LOTR indorsed 7up? I didn't until I found the add.
always eating chicken?