The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2005, 02:47 AM   #601
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Let's have a vowel next - A, please.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #602
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
"-a-'t/ -/ ----/ --st/ a/ r---/ -r/ t--/, a-d/ a/ --t-/ --/ ---d/, --/ ---s-d-rat---/ --/ -as-/ -a----t/?"
Old 03-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #603
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
*Esty longs for the C...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #604
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

C-longing fulfilled
"Ca-'t/ -/ ----/ --st/ a/ r---/ -r/ t--/, a-d/ a/ --t-/ --/ ---d/, --/ c--s-d-rat---/ --/ cas-/ -a----t/?"
Old 03-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #605
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I, please
Old 03-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #606
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"Ca-'t/ I/ ----/ --st/ a/ ri--/ -r/ t--/, a-d/ a/ -it-/ --/ ---d/, i-/ c--sid-rati--/ --/ cas-/ -a----t/?"
Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #607
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oh, my search was finally successful - no more information needed!
Quote:
Can't I keep just a ring or two, and a mite of gold, in consideration of cash payment?
Chrysophylax to Farmer Giles of Ham

(cross-posted with your inclusion of the Is)
Old 03-20-2005, 06:41 AM   #608
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

That's it, Esty !
Old 03-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #609
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

A Tolkien Beatitude

Quote:
------- --- --- ------_------ ---- ----- ----- -- ------ --- ----- ------ -------- ----.
(_ = -)
Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #610
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

May I ask for the E's ?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #611
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

E-sy

--e--e- --e --e -e-e--_---e-- ---- --e-- ----e -- ------ --- ----- ------ -e----e- ---e.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM   #612
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

the inevitable T's please
Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #613
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

+ T

--e--e- --e t-e -e-e--_---e-- --t- t-e-- ----e -- t----- --t ----- --t--- -e----e- t--e.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #614
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

how about R ?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:13 AM   #615
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

+ R

--e--e- -re t-e -e-e--_---er- --t- t-e-r r---e -- t----- --t ----- --t--- re--r-e- t--e.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #616
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Perhaps some i's?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #617
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

and N's...
Old 03-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #618
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

+ Ni!

--e--e- -re t-e -e-en-_---er- -it- t-eir r---e -- t-in-- n-t ---n- -it-in re--r-e- ti-e.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #619
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Ah! Now I can suddenly see it!
It's from "Mythopoeia" (where my sig. is also from)

Blessed are the legend-makers with their rhyme
of things not found within recorded time.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #620
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You have it right, Guinevere! There are so many wonderful lines in that poem. Your turn...
Old 03-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #621
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Dankeschön!
Quote:
----/ -----/ -----/ ---/ ------/ ----/, ---/ ---/ ---/ ----/ ------/, ---/ --/ ----/ -----/ ---/ ---/ ----/ ----/ ----/ --/ -------/ -------/.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #622
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Let's start off with a traditional "T", please.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #623
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

----/ -----/ -----/ ---/ ------/ ----/, ---/ ---/ ---/ ----/ --t---/, ---/ --/ ----/ -----/ t--/ ---/ ----/ t--t/ ----/ --/ -------/ t--t---/.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:56 AM   #624
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
"h"s?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #625
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

H---/ -----/ -----/ ---/ ------/ ----/, ---/ ---/ ---/ ----/ --th--/, ---/ --/ h---/ h----/ th-/ ---/ ----/ th-t/ ----/ --/ -------/ th-th--/.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 AM   #626
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, that combination of letters really gave away the last word! Thanks to your good help, Tuor, and the fact that the lines looked like they could be poetry, my search was successful. Here's the answer:
Quote:
Here grass fades and leaves fall,
and sun and moon wither,
and we have heard the far call
that bids us journey thither.
Lovely choice, Guinevere!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:21 AM   #627
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Well done Esty! With only two letters!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:26 AM   #628
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oh, I forgot to mention the speakers - the mariners are addressing Fíriel in 'The Last Ship', The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Here's a new quote:
Quote:
-! ----- -- -------- -- ------ -- ------ ------ -- -------- -- -----------, -- --------- -- -----, - -------
Old 03-30-2005, 03:18 AM   #629
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

O ?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:21 AM   #630
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

O yes!

Indeed - well spotted!

O! ----- o- -o-o---- o- ------ o- ------ ------ o- -------- o- ------o--o-, o- -o------- o- o----, - ----o--
Old 03-30-2005, 03:58 AM   #631
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

hm, on or of? Can I have the R's please?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:06 AM   #632
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

O + R

Yet another telling choice!

O! ----- or -o-o---- or ------ or -----r ------ or ---r---- or ------o--o-, or -o-----r- or o---r, - ----o--
Old 03-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #633
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

It must be in "Roverandom" I suppose....
Ha! found it:

"O! Japan or Honolulu or Manila or Easter Island or Thursday or Vladivostok, or somewhere or other, I suppose."

(said the mer-dog to Roverandom about the destination of a ship)

btw, when is it "O!" and when is it "Oh!" ? I'm puzzled.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #634
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's it! With the right couple of letters, you got the most important clues and found it! As to the use of "O" and "Oh", I'm not sure - the former seems to be a more archaic usage, or perhaps poetic...

Your turn!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #635
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Esty!

"-----/ --/ ------/ --/ -----/ ---/ ----/ -----/ ---/ ---/ ------/ --/ ---/ -----/ ---/ ---/ -------/. ----/ ---/ ----/ --- _---------/ -----/. -------/ ---_--------/."

(_ stands for a hyphen.)
Old 04-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #636
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

How about a nice coupla T's, please?!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:18 PM   #637
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Here they are

"T----/ --/ ----t-/ --/ -----/ ---/ ----/ -----/ ---/ --t/ ------/ --/ ---/ -----/ ---/ ---/ --t----/. ----/ ---/ t---/ --- _---------/ -t---/. -----t-/ ---_--------/."
Old 04-01-2005, 03:20 PM   #638
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

S-T strikes again

Sssss too, please
Old 04-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #639
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"T----/ -s/ ----t-/ --/ s----/ ---/ ----/ -----/ ---/ --t/ ------/ --/ ---/ ----s/ ---/ ---/ --t---s/. ----/ ---/ t--s/ --- _--s------/ st---/. -----t-/ ---_--------/."
Old 04-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #640
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
"i"s, please.