The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #41
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Captain Obvious is Legolas. When Aragorn is discussing the battle on Morannon and how they will draw out saurons armies. Legolas pipes up with :A diversion. Hence the name captain obvious.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:44 AM   #42
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

For some reason everyone in my theater thought that it was funny when Sam is growling at those orcs and then they relize that he's only a hobbit. I don't know why they did. I thought he was pritty heroic in that scene. <P>I also thought that it was funny when at the end of the Pellanor Fields the dead army takes down that oliphant in the background. It was funny because everyone was going "WHOA!"
Old 12-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #43
Eowyn_Wildfire
Animated Skeleton

Eowyn_Wildfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eowyn_Wildfire
Sting

I thought the part when Denethor run thorugh the halls on fire was hillarous at the end I was muttering "he's gonna jump" I loved that part when he just run straight off!
Eowyn_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:30 PM   #44
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> When I saw Theoden whacking the swords of the soldiers before the Pelennor battle, I cracked up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, good call. It's just too easy to picture <I>The Return of the King: The Silly Edition</I> where the end of everyone's spear falls off!
Old 12-22-2003, 03:56 PM   #45
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the first time i saw ROTK i was paralytic with laugher at BILBO.<P>i just couldn't get out of my head the following dialogue:<P>Bilbo: "where are we going, Frodo my lad?"<BR>Frodo: "to the crazy house, uncle."<BR>Bilbo: "oh!"<P>it just seemed to fit so perfectly. and then his line "i think i'm quite ready for another adventure" saw me stuffing my fist in my mouth to stop myself laughing. my mum thought i was having an asthma attack and it didn't help that my friend was also dead with laughter and after said line she said "oh well that paves the way for a sequel!"
Old 12-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #46
Eowyn_Wildfire
Animated Skeleton

Eowyn_Wildfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eowyn_Wildfire
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> didn't help that my friend was also dead with laughter and after said line she said "oh well that paves the way for a sequel!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ha ha thats so great!<BR>
Eowyn_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #47
Greenleaf1388

Sting

i thought it was kind of amusing when denethor set himself on fire and ran out of the tomb and you see this huge fireball running and jumping off the cliff!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:33 PM   #48
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril

Gandalf: So don't say anything about Boromir's death, Pippin. don't mention Frodo or the Ring. and best not mention aragorn. In fact, it would be better if you didn't say anything at all, Pippin.<P>Need I say more?!

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:17 AM   #49
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I thought it sooo funny when Faramir came back to Minas Tirith being dragged by a horse, only being held on by the stirrups. I couldn't help laughing. And when Denethor fell off the cliff, I couldn't help but wondering what Meela would be thinking. When Shelob was creeping up behind Frodo, I was laughing and giggling until she stung him. <P>Nehani<P>PS<BR>Welcome to the Downs, Greenleaf1388!

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:55 AM   #50
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I was torn between crying, laughing, and horror at how easily he could just forget about me and leave me.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:40 PM   #51
Tintalle
Pile O'Bones

Location: At the Gates of Morannon, waiting for the Great Battle
Tintalle has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Funny Moments:<P>1. Deagol and the fishy<BR>2. Gandalf sleeping with his eyes open and Pippin stealing the palantir<BR>3. When Gandalf and Pippin were at the door, and Gandalf tells Pippin not to talk at all ... then later he moves Pippin with his staff when Pippin pledges his services<BR>4. Gollum saying that orcs doesn't taste good and it's for ME, eerrr, US<BR>5. "Aragorn .... let's find some food"<BR>6. "I know you ran out. You smoke too much Pip."<BR>7. "You starled me ... what were you up to anyway" "SNEAKING!"<BR>8. "That still counts as one!"<BR>9. The invisible piggy back ride of Gollum<BR>10. When the four hobbits come back to the shire and they nod/greet the old hobbit sweeping his frontyard.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #52
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

For some reason, I was in an extremely giddy mood when I saw the movie, so I was laughing at strange, random parts.<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>At Aragorn's coronation, I found it funny when Arwen suddenly pops out from behind the tapestry that Elrond is holding....<B>Arwen</B>: Peek-a-boo!<P><LI>I laughed when the hobbits were jumping onto Frodo's bed and Gimli walks in. Fortunately for them, he didn't join them. <P><LI>Then, when Gandalf walked into Frodo's bedroom, for some reason I found it funny when Frodo said "Gandalf!" in an awestruck voice. I don't really know why, but that had me laughing for the whole night. <P><LI>At the Grey Havens, I was quite amused by Galadriel's weird smile as she boarded the ship. I was even more amused when Frodo reflected the same strange smile!<BR></UL>
Old 12-23-2003, 04:06 PM   #53
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadriel's smile... she looked like a schoolgirl planning the mayhem she will cause on her school outing.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:10 PM   #54
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Thulorongil (sp?) - For what it's worth, that scene was played out almost exactly as in the book. Deagol hooks a huge fish which drags him out and underwater, and while being pulled along he spots the Ring. Of course, it's strangely amusing in the book as well.<P>Bill the Pony - Oh God! Thanks for ensuring that I'll never be able to watch that scene again without thinking about Drew the Coworker...urgh...<P>For me one of the funnier bits was also a very good one: when Merry is berating Pippin after the Palantir incident. "Why did you look? Why do you always have to look?"<P>Then Pippin: "I won't do it again."<P>The sheer inadequacy of the answer made me laugh pretty hard. What, like he hasn't done enough already? (Granted, to quote Calvin and Hobbes, I get the feeling there was no right answer to that question).<p>[ 5:11 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 12-23-2003, 07:21 PM   #55
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "You starled me ... what were you up to anyway" "SNEAKING!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That was my favorite line! In the books too; I was so glad it was in the movie. <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-24-2003, 05:15 AM   #56
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I must have been the only one who felt sorry for the oliphants. Whenever one was brought down, I wanted to cringe, cuz I kept thinking of them as poor endangered elephants who didn't know why the heck they were being shot at! Then at one point the thought popped into my head: "Oh yeah, feel good about hurting an ELEPHANT!" and I almost laughed real loud. Then Legolas shot one in the head, just for effect, and I thought I was going to burst from holding in a laugh.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 AM   #57
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

LOL Bill the Pony--<P>Gollum, you just took back the One Ring! What are you going to do now?<P>"We're going to Disneyland, my precious."
Old 12-24-2003, 05:29 AM   #58
aleesa
Animated Skeleton

aleesa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to aleesa Send a message via AIM to aleesa
Tolkien

I find the part about gandalf sleeping with his eyes open was pretty amusing and also about gandalf advising pippin not to talk. Then there was Gimli saying "that only counts as one". I guess RoTK certainly has a lot of its funny moments coz I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #59
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

Heh...when Denethor jumped off the cliff, I couldn't help but think about the Monty Python's Flying Circus episode that opened with a guy attempting to fly, and jumping off a cliff, only to go 'splat' on the beach below...<BR>Surely someone here knows what I'm talking about? Maybe?<BR>
Old 12-24-2003, 01:56 PM   #60
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Sting

I loved the part when Gandalf and Pippin were about to walk in to see Denethor and Gandalf said something like:<P>You'd better not say anything about his son Boromir dying....<BR>or Frodo and the ring...<BR>or Aragorn coming to the thrown...<BR>in fact, it would be better if you didn't say anything.<P>(or something along those lines) anyway, that really made me laugh!
Old 12-24-2003, 02:17 PM   #61
Rasputin
Pile O'Bones

Rasputin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rasputin
Sting

i found it hilarious when gandalf was beating up denethor XD<P><BR>i also found it funny when the orc threw the other orc down the stairs and say "he tried to knife me!" then the orc got drop kicked out of the tower!
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:24 PM   #62
Failivrin
Wight

Sting

I know what you're talking about Leowen! it reminded me of that man in The Meaning of Life who was chased off a cliff at the end <P>the 3rd time i saw it i noticed how much Eomer screamed and it made me laugh; about 3 times all in 10 minutes
Old 12-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #63
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> When I saw Frodo's face when Sam takes the spider wrapping off him, images of Michael Jackson popped into my head. I keep cracking up at the thought of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks so much. Now I will be scared every time I see that scene. Shelob's not so bad, but Michael Jackson... ! I'm haunted! I'm seeing MJ everywhere! AAAAAAHHHH! (long, off-topic story, please don't ask.) Things that scare me: Gollum, Grima, and now thanks to that, Frodo. HEEELP MEEE! MOMMY! *runs away*<P>What's that? I need mental help? Thank you, Captain Obvious!
Old 12-25-2003, 07:38 PM   #64
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
The Eye

I'm not sure how funny this is in reality... it's more like really strange. I was a bit thrown off by the orcs' sudden mastery of complex speech in ROTK. It was really bizarre to sit in the theater and watch an orc giving a "pep talk" about how now comes the "time of the orc..."! It was the one, rather nitpicky thing that bugged me, and it was kind of amusing as well, wether intentionally or not.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:43 AM   #65
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I couldn't help but laugh at the Orc that looked like Yoda. <P>Gandalf sleeping with his eyes open - I thought elves did that?
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:10 AM   #66
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> i found it hilarious when gandalf was beating up denethor <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, I did too, but only after I added theme music in my head! It was a certain Prodigy song about Smacking My certain somebody Up. Plus I <B>really</B> think they should have added the *slurp* *slurp* sound effects of Denethor eating to Viggo's kissing scene. <P>Kind of funny, kind of terrible, was the orc who thought he was greeting the Corsairs at the Harlond. He <B>forgot</B> to turn his Australian accent off! Tie me Orkaroo down, sport...
Old 12-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #67
Failivrin
Wight

Sting

oh i love it how people ALWAYS revert to their natural accent when they're shouting. if they don't, then they get some other insane one instead which leads perfectly onto...<P>Aragorn's Irish accent before the Black Gate! where did he get that from?
Old 12-26-2003, 03:26 PM   #68
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Plus I really think they should have added the *slurp* *slurp* sound effects of Denethor eating to Viggo's kissing scene.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*dies* <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #69
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Funniest parts:<P>-When Pippin kneels to offer his services to Denethor and Gandalf says "get up" and hits him.<BR>-When Gandalf attacks Denethor.<BR>-When everyone is bowing to the hobbits they were all the same height! Also I was convinced either Merry or Pippin (probably Pippin) was going to say something stupid. Their expressions were priceless!<BR>-Gimli: that only counts for one!<BR>-When Frodo wakes up and all the hobbits and everyone come in - that was so cheesy it was stupid!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:35 PM   #70
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>Plus I really think they should have added the *slurp* *slurp* sound effects of Denethor eating to Viggo's kissing scene.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*rolls over and dies laughing*<P>Oh dear! And some people were complaining that the kissing scene itself wasn't very Middle-earth-ish, or majestic! The sound effects would have been HILARIOUS!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:13 PM   #71
Rouroni
Newly Deceased

Rouroni has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> For some reason people laughed when they saw Sam and Frodo in Orcs' clothes? Anyone know why this is funny, I completely missed that joke?! I assume they were all people who hadn't read the book. If so there was a disturbingly large number of them!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yeah, that happened to me too, and i didnt understand it either. <P>What i found funny was the scene from the Pellenor Fields, when the orcs were breaching the first wall of Minas Tirith and Pippin and Gandalf are having a leisurly conversation. Sure, they kill a few while they chat, but it's like they're playing tennis at a country club.<P>As for the Aragorn-Arwen make-out session, didnt Aragorn get enough of that in his dream in TT? I guess he just wanted some tangible Evenstar nooky.
"Cold be hand and heart and bone/Cold be sleep under stone/never more to wake on stony bed/Never, until the Sun fails and the Moon is dead./In the black wind the stars shall die/And still on gold here let them lie/Until the Dark Lord lifts his hand/Over dead sea and withered land."-Fog on the Barrow-Downs
Rouroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #72
Catlyn21
Pile O'Bones

Location: Probably stalking Orlando. Or Viggo. Or Dom. Or Johnny Depp, for that matter.
Catlyn21 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, for anyone whose seen Pirates of the Caribbean: When Frodo and Sam are stumbling up Mount Doom, they're walking exactly like Captain Jack Sparrow...I saw that movie 11 times in theaters (oh what a waste of money...), and it instantly reminded me of that...The people around me didn't think it was too funny, though...<P>And I couldn't help laughing when you see Frodo all wrapped up in Shelob's web: <P>Elijah Wood, starring in The Mummy!<P>okay, maybe its just me...I thought it was funny...

< I just realized my location makes me sound like a total fangirl........
Catlyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:54 PM   #73
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the part in Isengard when Treebeard says to Gandalf "...young master Gandalf." *chuckle*<BR>Also, when the orks are going thru Frodo's sutff the one ork says "The shiny shirt is mine." My friend thinks he said "The shiny <BR>sh!*&t is mine." I died.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:05 PM   #74
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

my extreme favorite part [in which I just absolutely died] was when Aragorn is standing on the Pelennor Fields and behind him you can see the army of the dead [or at least part of it] just ROLLING up the backside of an oliphaunt. Like, a great big wave of the dead, just in the background. I cracked up, and the lady next to me in the theater sighed and made a face.<P>Also, when Sam and Frodo are sitting on Mt Doom after they've destroyed the ring, and Frodo is like 'I can remember the Shire, Sam!" and then there's this huge explosion in the background. Crack-up scene also.<P>*Die* the part where Sam pulls the web stuff off of Frodo's face- he doesn't look like Michael Jackson, he looks like Edward Scissorhands! Gasp! "I love you Kim!"<P>And finally, when the army of Gondor and Rohan goes to the Black Gate under Aragorn, and starts charging- Merry and Pippin start running, and they get totally left behind, you see them getting way passed up by all the horses and people. The people I was sitting next to were glaring so bad, I started snorting.<P>It wasn't in the movie, but the lady sitting next to me in the theatre was really afraid of Shelob. *Squeak!* "Oh dear Jesus, look at that thing!" *Gasp* "I hate spid- AAAHHH!" Screaming into her husband's shoulder. Laugh, laugh.<P>Hooray for Gimli the comic relief dwarf!

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 01:02 AM   #75
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I found most of the already-mentioned lines funny, along with more random things.<P>The various grunts and noises that the characters made had me stifling giggles. Such as the pig-like noises Gandalf makes while sleeping with his eyes open. And of course, Gimli's snorts and guttural sounds had me cracking up. <P>Also, at the end, when everyone is running in to greet Frodo in his bed, I couldn't help but laugh at Pippin. Did anyone notice how he sort of...flung himself wildly about on the bed? Like a trout out of water? <P>The audience found the scene where Denethor is trying to burn himself and Faramir terribly funny. I'm not sure it was PJ's intent, though. But when Denethor had his arms raised, awaiting for flames to engulf him, waves of laughter rang through the audience. Sorta killed the mood. So to speak.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:14 AM   #76
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>When I saw Frodo's face when Sam takes the spider wrapping off him, images of Michael Jackson popped into my head. I keep cracking up at the thought of it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I didn't really think that Frodo looked like Michael Jackson, but that scene was freaky none the less! His look scared me more than Shelob! When I was watching it, it was basically: "Oh Sam *watches*", "Frodo! Ahhh!!! *closes eyes*", and on, and on... I couldn't believe how freaky they made him look. It is so bad I can't really get myself to watch that scene. Someday I most definitely will have to ask Sean Astin about how it was filming it.<P>Oh and I thought that the whole Gandalf eyes open while sleeping thing was brilliant. It was so funny
Old 12-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #77
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

An absolutely hilarious scene was when Merry and Pippin get out-run before the Black Gates after they charge after Aragorn. I was laughing convulsively at that part.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:54 AM   #78
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also, when Sam and Frodo are sitting on Mt Doom after they've destroyed the ring, and Frodo is like 'I can remember the Shire, Sam!" and then there's this huge explosion in the background. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, and at that time he says he remembers Gandalf's fireworks...
Old 12-30-2003, 09:54 AM   #79
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

For some reason everyone thought the shot of that giant troll beating the drums for the forces of Mordor outside of Minas Tirith was insanly funny .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:31 AM   #80
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed this one elf at the coronation (I like looking at the people in the backgroud), I think he's over Elrond's shoulder, possibly Arwen's but he grins ridiculously and I just found it really funny.<P>Another thing is when Galadriel helps Frodo up, my friend said Galadriel's face scared her and when it kept coming closer to the screen the thought of her cringing away from it just made me laugh.