The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Werewolf CXI - The Black Breath Ward

As the sun rose over the city, many in its midst walked out into the crisp morning air with only a slight apprehension in their step. In the Ward, however, no one awoke early. The houses were silent and dark, though rustling leaves skittered across the roads and tree branches scraped against the walls of some of the residences.

A scream pierced the chilly air and the residents of the Ward burst from their temporary lodgings to see the source of the noise.

Even with the dim light creeping over the city walls, the corpse was unmistakable. As the guards lifted the body, his red hat fell from his head and a tearful Sally crouched to pick it up, roughly shoving the item in her bag.

"Sally! What's happened?" Lalaith emerged from her assigned cottage and tried to get a better look, but was blocked by the guards, who were hoisting Phantom into a small cart.

"The Black Breath took him," Sally sobbed. She wiped her face on her sleeve, turning her back on Phantom as she addressed the group. "Please, there's nothing you can do for him. I'll make some tea, and then you should all get some more rest."

"Unacceptable!" shouted McCaber. "He was fine yesterday. A bit grumpy maybe, but he made fun of Nilp, so I assumed he was doing okay."

"Uh, McCaber?" Dun nudged his neighbor, then pointed toward the dark building toward the edge of the Ward. "You know Nilp died a week ago, right? Don't you remember? He sang a love ballad at the wall, then fainted into a gigantic bowl of noodles and never woke up."

"That's not the point!" shrieked Sally. "Could you show a little respect for the dead?"

"She's right! And who will take our reports to the guards now?" cried Kuru. "Phantom was always our representative!"

"Don't remind me," muttered Nerwen, rolling her eyes. "Maybe my sun and stars could take the reports?"

"Not every time, my queen," replied Shasta nervously. "I don't feel up to it, and that's a lot of pressure for one person."

"After all," agreed Lottie, "not everyone is Phantom."

"Are we sure Phantom was human?" asked Boro, but no one heard him, for at that moment, the gates to the morgue creaked open and Phantom's body was taken inside to join Agan, Gal, Nogrod, Formendacil, and so many others who had fallen to darkness before him.

"What do we do now?" Lommy whispered, but Legate just shook his head and embraced her, turning away from the morgue entrance.

Silence fell over the remaining patients, and though someone eventually spoke, their voice was so weary, it was impossible to identify its owner.

"Only five more days...."

Patients
Nerwen
Kuru
McCaber
Lottie
Lalaith
Lommy
Legate
Dun
Boro
Shasta

The Morgue
Phantom (for posterity)

It is now Day 1. Please remember to highlight your votes for who you want to report to the guards.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 10-26-2016 at 09:34 PM.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
What a mess we've got on our hands! I mean, not literally, what with the apparently sentient morgue and all, but figuratively. We are in a bind. I just don't know what to do. We were going along so peacefully before now... And really, if the Black Breath could take even Phantom, then who's next?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Second post! I'm clearly not guilty.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
You would say that, wouldn't you? Remember, it's always one of the first three posters...

Wait, what did I say?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You see, it's this dreadful Black Breath, giving me a death wish!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

What is even more depressing is the knowledge that there are those among us who want us to give up the will to live... creating a feedback loop of negativity and despair! How dreadful!

(Please note that I say "dreadful", not "terrible". If I were evil, I would have used the
phrase "terrible things" in order to torment Agan's departed spirit. Given this incontrovertible proof, I should obviously be considered a known innocent from now on.)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I lied. I am guilty. Guilty of not caring about the phantom's demise. If I was in the conspirators' shoes, I would have done the same. Let's be honest, it's a far quieter and headache reduced with his loss. Am I right?

I actually would like to give a reward to those who did us all a great service and favor. Come forward, collect your reward - all expenses-paid weekend passes to the beautiful Dol Amroth resort (once this nasty business of war is over). Plus, free muffins at Mablung's Magic Muffins for life.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I lied. I am guilty. Guilty of not caring about the phantom's demise. If I was in the conspirators' shoes, I would have done the same. Let's be honest, it's a far quieter and headache reduced with his loss. Am I right?

I actually would like to give a reward to those who did us all a great service and favor. Come forward, collect your reward - all expenses-paid weekend passes to the beautiful Dol Amroth resort (once this nasty business of war is over). Plus, free muffins at Mablung's Magic Muffins for life.
Right! But oh, so wrong....
Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Don't be intimidated, this post isn't as long as it seems

There is an ambiguity here. O Moddess, please review this.

PURE NO LYNCH SCENARIO
DAY ONE
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10

DAY TWO
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1

DAY THREE
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1
Player 2

DAY FOUR
Player 4
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3

DAY FIVE
Player 5
Player 6
Player 7
Baddie 8
Baddie 9
Baddie 10
Dead
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4

1) Everyone please review my numbers to make sure they are correct.

2) Oh Moddess, when does the game end? Do we get a DAY SIX where the last person with the Black Breath dies or might die?

3) If there is no DAY SIX death, then the potential for the Ward to win by just refusing to lynch each time is there...at least according to my potentially flawed counting. (Never trust me with numbers.)

4) My reading of the rules is that the wolves don't win simply by eliminating the gifteds. They have a win condition of eliminating both gifteds and having one of them survive.

Please review and discuss. This is important for the course of the game.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 10-27-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: corrected a "gifted" into the appropriate "gifteds"
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
But does calling the guards not endanger the Gifteds?
The gifteds are not exempt from being dispatched by the guards; they will remove whomever they are instructed to by the representative.

As for the other question at hand, the game will end at the dawn of Day 6, which means any fates sealed over the previous Night will affect the outcome of the game.

X'd with Legate, as I finally beat my phone into submission
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Reading and commenting

Sorry, I've been super busy (and distracted) today, but I'm here now! The game looks like quite an interesting kettle of fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Okay okay, maybe let's start more slowly. For one: if I got the rules right, then we should select a representative (yeah, a real pity about The Phantom). What I propose however is that also everyone suggests (maybe via a "normal" vote, i.e. bolded and not highlighted?) the name the representative should deliver to the Guards. It is, of course, then up to the Representative whether they behave like a democratically elected representative of the majority and deliver the name of the most suspected person, or whether they pick the person they choose themselves...
Good idea. This is such a small village that we can't really afford to lose the evidence provided by traditional votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Also, since somebody has to mention this, and once again, the phantom isn't here to supply us with plans: since we are just waiting to get rescued, I wonder if a purposeful tie (or a purposeful miss of vote from the Representative) would actually be benefitial for the village. Meaning, the more there are of us, the greater chance we outnumber the Wolves, the bigger chance the Gifteds aren't mislynched, etc. Discuss?
That's a no from me. No votes = less interested people, less leads to follow, general drop in the vigilance of the masses, also less fun game.

Even though now that I think of it, given that we do not learn the roles of the dead, the evidence votes provide is even more murky than usual. So it's maybe not worth it to take a shot in the dark. But should we really only relay on the kills? And I don't want not to vote just in principle because that goes contrary to all my values!

As for representative, I would favour Legate. He's kinda volunteered by initiating the discussion on the rules, and seems to be up to date with them unlike many others.

edit: xed with the last couple of posts
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
And oops, I just looked at the clock. Having an adult working schedule and playing werewolf with Americans don't really mix. Vote(s) in a minute, off to brush my teeth etc.

Does anyone else find it strange there has been literally no fingers pointed at anyone during the whole Day? Sure it's Day1 and we have been preoccupied by discussing the rules, but it's still weird. Three of us are still guilty. We should be already be trying to figure out who.

(Even though, if we were just sitting this one out, wouldn't it be hilarious to have a werewolf game where no one voiced a single suspicion against anyone ever? )
Old 10-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Does anyone else find it strange there has been literally no fingers pointed at anyone during the whole Day? Sure it's Day1 and we have been preoccupied by discussing the rules, but it's still weird. Three of us are still guilty. We should be already be trying to figure out who.
If it is any consolation, there *are* people who have pinged my radar toDAY in not-a-good-way.

However, I have grown convinced that we should not lynch somebody toDAY. This is a very small Ward and we will have little certain information. We are far more likely to do ourselves a mischief by lynching the wrong person toDAY. We have a target date to get to and by erroneous lynches now we can cut ourselves off from reaching that target date. Erroneous lynches are far more likely to happen toDAY than not.

I also, as it turns out, will have to make my vote for representative soon as I have to leave a computer and I may not be able to come back before the deadline.

I am prepared to nominate Legate if he is on board with not lynching somebody toDAY.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
True enough. Even though I run into the usual Day 1 quandry of who looks off.

All I can say for the moment is that I'm somewhat reluctant to vote for Legate as the rep.

x/d with Kuru
Old 10-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
And oops, I just looked at the clock. Having an adult working schedule and playing werewolf with Americans don't really mix. Vote(s) in a minute, off to brush my teeth etc.

(Even though, if we were just sitting this one out, wouldn't it be hilarious to have a werewolf game where no one voiced a single suspicion against anyone ever? )
At least this deadline isn't something ridiculous like 3 am for you guys! I'm going to struggle a bit to participate if I'm still alive come Saturday and Sunday - DL is right in the middle of my workday those days.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 10-27-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: X'ed with Kuru and Inzil
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #16
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Okay, I'm going to go on record here as being the dissenting voice as far as no-lynches go; I've never been a fan, to be honest. Lynching is the only tool we have, mechanically, to win the game; it's always seemed counter-intuitive to me to intentionally disarm ourselves in such a way.

This game is fairly different than a normal werewolf game, though, theoretically, and I haven't dissected the numbers as much as some others have, so if it's the will of the majority that we decide not to lynch today, I'll go with it. I suppose it's a bit late in the day anyway, considering no one's suspected anyone else.

But I don't like it.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 10-27-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: X'ed with Legate
Old 10-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #17
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Oh, and for the Finns that have to vote soon - I think I'd prefer Lottie as representative myself, honestly. That's where I'm leaning, anyway.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #18
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Okay, I'm going to go on record here as being the dissenting voice as far as no-lynches go; I've never been a fan, to be honest. Lynching is the only tool we have, mechanically, to win the game; it's always seemed counter-intuitive to me to intentionally disarm ourselves in such a way.

This game is fairly different than a normal werewolf game, though, theoretically, and I haven't dissected the numbers as much as some others have, so if it's the will of the majority that we decide not to lynch today, I'll go with it. I suppose it's a bit late in the day anyway, considering no one's suspected anyone else.

But I don't like it.
I'm not arguing to like it. I don't particularly like it myself. You are correct that ultimately it is our only tool to secure victory.

What I am arguing is that because DAY ONE lynches usually (not always, obviously) are not positive for the village that we take a deliberate step to slow down the pace of the killing.

I would not be arguing this line if we did not have a DAY FIVE/SIX target that has a scenario for a Ward win. Given how little information we will have through the course of the game, I think we need to keep as many options for victory open as possible.

Having this definite end date changes the dynamics of this game, in my estimation.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

My dear sally, some of us are in a constant state of demoralization

I would think the conspirators are going to be active in vying for being a representative. Gives them control of what name to send to the guard. And with no knowing of role upon death, there's no way to verify the intentions of the representative.

There's always that fall back excuse of "well I didn't go with the majority because I felt differently, obviously." And there's really no way to confirm if that's true or not.

Voting for a rep, and clearly stating if you become the rep who would you report to the guards should be a requirement.

For Representative:

++Shasta

Those who don't seek to have the power of deciding another's fate are the most deserving of being a representative.

And who's name I would send in toDay? None. I usually show no mercy when it comes to these things, but this time feels different. A cautious, hold out and stay the course seems like a logical (and winnable) approach. For the time being.

Edit: Writing from my phone means I crossed with a lot of people...last post I read was Kuru's #60
Old 10-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Looking at the clock, Or more like feeling how sleepy I am becoming, I will probably also vote in a matter of minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Freedom to exercise judgement is all well and good, but we should never willingly throw away information.
I think that should basically be a motto for this game, given how little info we have in general.

Quote:
Three of us are still guilty.
Confession?

Anyway: as for the Rep, if I happen to be elected, I will definitely pass the wish of the majority, especially if the said wish is not to lynch anyone toDay at all. That is, also, what I would prefer to do myself. Also because lynching is quite an abrupt process, and many people did not get much chance to speak yet (like if we suddenly randomly decided to lynch someone, they wouldn't have much chance to defend themselves).

Otherwise, I would be willing to entrust Lottie with the task. She's been fairly active especially in the second half, and making good points. Among other people I found genuinely active and having good points, there is Kuru. Of the others who have been more active, Inzil I had some strange feelings about in the beginning, and I still cannot completely shake it off (at one point I was just confused about what he was thinking about the rules, though). I must say that despite the above thing being a joke, there is something a bit off about Lommy, too. But there. Preliminary feelings. And what's with other I-would-suspect-to-be-loud people like Boro?

Off to think for a bit and then my rep vote is coming.

EDIT: Oho! x-ed since Lommy.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #21
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
At least this deadline isn't something ridiculous like 3 am for you guys!
It's exactly 3am Finnish time. I was supposed to be in bed at the very latest half an hour ago. A least it's not 6am like in some games.

++Legate

for a rep.

As for the rest

++Inzil

if I actually had to cast a lynch vote toDay. Something a little off about him and his polite and detached yet a little too soup-stirring discussion of the rules. I also found Kuru a tad weird until his latest post which made me feel a lot better about him, and I'm a little conflicted about Lottie but when am I not.

edit: xed with Shasta x2 and Kuru