The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
Alexandria Lumiere

Tolkien Arwen Undomiel and Aran Elessar

I think Eowyn is a spoiler at the second part of the Lord of The Rings.She's trying to seduce Aragorn and take him away from Arwen! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Do you think that is supposed to be the behavior of the Shield-maiden of Rohan?
Old 12-12-2003, 07:10 AM   #2
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Non of us choose who we fall in love with. It just happens.

Eowyn didn't know that Arwen existed. Aragorn never mentions her. The closest he gets to telling her that there is someone else in his life is when he comments that if he were free to choose, he would be in Rivendell, not Rohan.

Eowyn behaves as she does because she sees herself as a Shield-maiden.
For years, she's been lumbered with the job of nurse maid to her senile uncle and when the war starts, she has to take on the role of governing those of her people who won't be fighting when she wants to fight herself.
She falls for Aragorn, or rather her own image of Aragorn, because he's doing what she want's to do.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn never tries to steal Aragorn from Arwen since, as has been mentioned before, Eowyn does not know who Arwen is. She simply experiences a natural human emotion. There is nothing more to it.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #4
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

In the book when she starts getting close to Faramir she realizes that she only wanted Aragorn for the crown and that he only gave her pity never love. She also realizes that even though Faramir can not give her the 'glory' of the crown he can give her love instead of pity.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Do you think that is supposed to be the behavior of the Shield-maiden of Rohan?
The fact that Eowyn is a shield-maiden of Rohan has nothing really to do with her love life anyway. There probably aren't any rules for shield-maidens on how they ought to conduct themselves with regards to the opposite sex.

I can understand considering her conduct unseemly if she was throwing herself at him in an inappropriate and public manner and generally making a fool of herself, but she didn't do anything of the kind. Also, the other people posting on this thread are right to point out that Eowyn didn't know about Arwen (at least in the book). As for the movie, well, Aragorn did tell her that Arwen was sailing to the Undying Lands, so that technically makes him single - maybe emotionally unavailable, and so strategically kind of a long shot, but still technically single.

Basically what Eowyn had was a sort of infatuation for Aragorn. She was trying to capture his interest as I'm sure a lot of people have tried to capture the interest of people who they've been infatuated with. I don't think that's necessarily inappropriate behaviour, of a shield-maiden of Rohan or otherwise.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote