The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #41
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
(like the woman in Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther...)
"Clopstock!"

Heh heh heh.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #42
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh, congratulations morm!

I agree with the others that you should keep pursuing Rian. I don't see why your wife wouldn't go for it...it's a quite pretty name. Hmm...actually I know someone named Rian. She was (briefly) one of our Residence Life Advisors while I was studying abroad in the Netherlands. I wonder if her parents were influence by Tolkien.

But if not Rian, the I think Arien would be perfectly fine as well...I've always been fond of that name.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #43
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
How about Meredith and then she can be Merry? That would be rather nice in many ways You can also spell that in the traditional Welsh way and have it as Meredydd if you like. And it goes with Sidney as it's also a boy's name - in fact I think Meredith originally was exclusively a boys' name?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #44
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Heck, why not Lobelia?
There's also Morwen, Nienor, Niniel, Dora, and Angelica.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #45
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Bump...

Just thought I'd give the thread a little bump and ask a new question -
can anybody think of M-E names that would make good middle names (both for boys and girls)? With a middle name, sounding normal isn't quite so important (although, of course, it still should be pleasant and pronouncable), but, I think, a good story connected with the character, or a good meaning for the name, is. Any thoughts?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #46
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So often though the stories and names don't coincide. Idril is (to my mind) quite the most admirable, interesting and characterful herione in Tolkien but the name unless pronounced "correctly" sounds a bit too much like a medication.

I suppose the best for character and sound is Melian which has the advantage of being relatively similar to "normal" girls names and has the meaning "dear gift" - which is about the nicest thing you could call a child.

Other possibles might be Vana and Este

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #47
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Other possibles might be Vana and Este
Please not Este - it means "obstacle" in Finnish....
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #48
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh dear..maybe not then.... Estee Lauder presumably isn't a big seller then..

Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #49
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Please not Este - it means "obstacle" in Finnish....
And Vana, also without the marks (not Vána), would be "bath-tub" in Czech... so these probably are not the best picks
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #50
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My second cousin had a baby and she named her Annewen or something along those lines, it means beautiful girl I think, but don't quote me on that one...
Old 06-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #51
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
And Vana, also without the marks (not Vána), would be "bath-tub" in Czech... so these probably are not the best picks
Oh yes, and Vana (again without the accent) would be "wake" in Finnish. A wake as if a sort of a line. I'm not sure if I can explain but the term "wake" makes little sense to me in this meaning (had to consult a dictionary). But hmmm.. it's like a trail or line left by something that has either been dragged or has flowed. I hope I made sense. Anyway, as that is not very bad and Vána and Vana are supposed to be pronounced differently, I did not bring it up before but Legate kind of forced me to...
Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #52
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Melian would still be best then....

Oh dear, I knew someone called Vanna so I thought it would be ok.... the horrors of translation..... My lecturer used to collect this sort of stuff. My favourite was the renaming of the Vauxhall/Opel Nova car for the Spanish market (no va = it doesn't go!)

Many welsh names are unsuprisingly close or identical to Elvish eg Morwen (maiden) Rhiannon (great queen) Angharad (much loved) , and Amroth is a place....

Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #53
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Oh dear, I knew someone called Vanna so I thought it would be ok.... the horrors of translation.....
Vanna? Poor her: that's the word for a plastic bowl/bath tube babies and toddlers are bathed in!

Oh, I love this.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #54
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well she was run over by a truck so her misfortunes only increased...

Now you will probably tell me that my own name means lavatory cistern in Finnish or something just as bad.... not that they have such great meanings in their own languages...

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #55
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Now you will probably tell me that my own name means lavatory cistern in Finnish or something just as bad.... not that they have such great meanings in their own languages...
Haha, no. Not yours or any other downers' names I can think of.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #56
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sheesh - as if it isn't enough to worry about how a name sounds in English and German, now we have to worry about Czech and Finnish, too?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #57
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh but their names probably sound silly to us ....

Old 06-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #58
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Sheesh - as if it isn't enough to worry about how a name sounds in English and German, now we have to worry about Czech and Finnish, too?
No, you need not. I will just tell you if you consider something totally outrageous...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #59
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Oh yes, and Vana (again without the accent) would be "wake" in Finnish. A wake as if a sort of a line. I'm not sure if I can explain but the term "wake" makes little sense to me in this meaning (had to consult a dictionary). But hmmm.. it's like a trail or line left by something that has either been dragged or has flowed. I hope I made sense.
Just to clear something up: a wake is that white foaming trail left by a boat in the water.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #60
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Now I can't shake this association of Vana with an Irish wake. I think this is something to keep a note of, for possible REB use some day.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #61
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Now I can't shake this association of Vana with an Irish wake. I think this is something to keep a note of, for possible REB use some day.
A wake? Isn't that what Elmer Fudd uses to gather the weaves in his yawd?

Sorry, too much caffeine today. Funny though, I've never had coffee at a wake, but the guest of honor won't wake even if he had coffee.

Sorry again. Ah, what a muddled mess I have left in my wake.

D'oh!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #62
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Just to clear something up: a wake is that white foaming trail left by a boat in the water.
Thank you. But the dictionary seemed to imply it could mean something else (something very similar) too, but it was rather unclear. And it isn't a perfect translation as the Finnish word means just so much more than that ship thing...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #63
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Oh yes, and Vana (again without the accent) would be "wake" in Finnish. A wake as if a sort of a line. I'm not sure if I can explain but the term "wake" makes little sense to me in this meaning (had to consult a dictionary). But hmmm.. it's like a trail or line left by something that has either been dragged or has flowed.
I think the important part here is that a "vana" is a trail of something in Finnish. So vana is nothing independent but something that exists following something else.

When a (small) boat goes through the water it leaves a "vana" behind it.

There is a Finninsh idiom that says something comes in "vanavedessä" of something eg. in "vana-waters" of something. There's the tie with the water.

Like a candidate in the elecetions who gets a landslide vote will draw the next candidate of her/his party in his/her "vanavedessä" up in the ranking and possibly through the election.

Or in athletics when for instance during the marathon one runner makes a dash for it at 30 kilometers and some others follow in his "vanavedessä" to break from the main group.

So it means following in a way even if it is a substantive - the thing that is to be seen from something that follows - like the trail in the water of a boat, or the trail (vana) of tears that can be seen on the cheeks even if the actual tears have dropped away.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #64
Olórin the White
Newly Deceased

Olórin the White has just left Hobbiton.
Yay Finnish! it's my native tongue and I always hold pride in the fact that the creation of Quenya was greatly influenced by it
Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #65
Feanathiel
Newly Deceased

Feanathiel has just left Hobbiton.
p.s. I've switched to a new account because I found a better user name than Olorin the White. It's a little more personal to me

as for names recommended thus far, I really liked Liona and Arien! Rhionna is also a great choice. It means enchantress and can be loosely translated to Luthien!
Feanathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #66
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poster Formerly Known As Olórin the White View Post
Yay Finnish! it's my native tongue and I always hold pride in the fact that the creation of Quenya was greatly influenced by it
Evidently, with words like "vana" and "vanavedessä"!

Quote:
Thank you. But the dictionary seemed to imply it could mean something else (something very similar) too, but it was rather unclear. And it isn't a perfect translation as the Finnish word means just so much more than that ship thing...
Lommy, "wake" is also used in a metaphorical way: "in the wake of" means "following" or "as a result of". Very popular with journalists. Like, "In the wake of last week's scandal, the Prime Minister has announced his intention to resign from office".
Old 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #67
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Lommy, "wake" is also used in a metaphorical way: "in the wake of" means "following" or "as a result of". Very popular with journalists. Like, "In the wake of last week's scandal, the Prime Minister has announced his intention to resign from office".
Yes, now that I think of it, I must have heard it a dozen times but not registered it. Also, thanks to Guy Gavriel Kay, I can now also use it of people. (Err, that is if I can remember the correct preposition... ) I always enjoy learning English.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #68
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin the White/Feanathiel View Post
We're soon taking over the forum.

Morm, I, too, think Rian is lovely. Keep trying.

As for Este and Vana, I have always been aware of their meanings in Finnish but I never thought about them that way, if you understand what I mean. Their names never made me laugh or anything (as a matter of fact, the only name that had me laughing was Kalavénë which, without the accents, means fishing boat) - Este never was an obstacle Vana a wake to me. Though if the child ever met a Finn who's not familiar with Tolkien's works, I don't know what they would think.

Two nice names that I can think of are Eonwe and Fionwe (or Finwe), but I'm not sure if they sound too feminine? What about Curufin and Daeron?

Haleth is a nice name which also works for both genders. Lalaith would make a good one, too - unless the parents don't want to name their child after a girl who died at the age of three.

Nice as it is, I guess Lobelia is not one of the most popular M-E names?

I must suggest also Maglor.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #69
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Rian is a beautiful name, morm.

Amarië is another beautiful female name.
If I remember correctly, she was a Vanya and 'beloved' by Finrod, but decided to stay in Valinor.

It can possibly work without too many problems, since it sounds similar to 'anne-marie'.

Arien is beautiful and won't confuse non-Tolkien fans too much I guess.

I guess if your daughter has dark hair, Morwen would work. It's a pretty name, but probably not the best 'fate' wise.

That's all I can think of now, but others probably have better suggestions. Congratulations!

~ Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 07-08-2008 at 09:08 AM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #70
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Lalaith would make a good one, too - unless the parents don't want to name their child after a girl who died at the age of three.

Nice as it is, I guess Lobelia is not one of the most popular M-E names?
I rather like the name Lalaith, it's very pretty, even if you don't know the meaning...

But I think that I would name my kid Lobelia. It is a nice name, and I rather like Lobelia S.B. anyway!
But I don't think I'm going to be having kids anytime soon... or at least I hope not...
Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #71
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Okay, so she was born on the 25th and we have decided upon a name, while she is not Rian, she is a Middle-earth inspired name! Miriel! She is lovely and has a great temperment.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #72
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Yay! *coos at said munchkin in a nonthreatening manner*
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #73
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Miriel is a lovely name, and congratulations! Another 'Downer baby, we'll have a creche soon. Do we get pictures of this cheerful lass or is Mrs. morm not keen on that? Anyway, congratulations again.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #74
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Jewel, eh? Glad you convinced her to take a M-E name. Congrats!

Hmm, ten or so years from now, I will go back to this site (if it's still existing, that is) and ask what name I could consider for my kid.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #75
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Miriel is a lovely name, and congratulations! Another 'Downer baby, we'll have a creche soon. Do we get pictures of this cheerful lass or is Mrs. morm not keen on that? Anyway, congratulations again.

It seems a bit blurrier here, though I'm not sure why. Anyway this gives you an idea.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #76
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Awwww morm she's lovely! Congratulations! And the name is perfect.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:11 AM   #77
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Silmaril

Awwww...
She's indeed very cute and you have given her a beautiful name.
Congratulations!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #78
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Congratulations, morm!! She's beautiful, so cute with that pink ribbon in the hair! Miriel is indeed a lovely name, and one that only rabid book fans will recognize as coming from Middle-earth - an inside joke, so to speak. Best wishes to her, her parents, and the whole family - may you be blessed with all that you need and as much of what you want as you can handle!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #79
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sweetie!

But you never told us the third most important thing* everyone wants to know about a new little baby...what's her weight?

*After the gender and name of course!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #80
mormegil
Maundering Mage

She is 22.5 inches and 9lbs 7 oz so a very big little girl.