The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
Ellwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ellwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Coincidencial?

Isildur cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand (it was on his finger), and Frodo had the One Ring bitten from his hand (it was on his finger). Was this intended to be so by the great professor or did he just not notice?
'Too often have I heard of duty. But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?' - Éowyn
Ellwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Well, it could've been meant to be, but I believe it just makes the most sense. Neither Sauron nor Frodo were just going to let the Ring be pulled off their fingers, so the obvious way to part them would be to bite/slash that finger off. Isildur did it because he was in no position to politely ask Sauron to take off the ring and have tea with him. Gollum bit off Frodo's finger because...well, actually, it's just because he likes fingers, it has nothing to do with the Ring.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
I just noticed that... but yeah Kransha is right. Welcome to the downs Ellwyn.

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I personally think that he meant to do it. I always thought it was pretty cool about the "nine-fingers" thing. Very few things that Tolkien did were accidental, and I don't think this is one of them. Kransha does have a good point, that it was convenient just to have them lose the finger, but I think it was also done with purpose.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Well, there is finger-related symbolism (wow, that doesn't sound right). Nine fingers on Frodo and Sauron, nine members of the Fellowship, nine Nazgul, Nine bastions of evil, etc. That's probably just general linking symbolism; Fellowship - Nazgul, Frodo - Sauron, and onward.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Sauron lost more than one finger

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Old 02-18-2004, 02:14 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Only in the movie, Gil Galad...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Really.... man I haven't read the book in a awhile..

Old 02-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Estelyn beat me to it, but only because my browser whacked out on me last night. I did think it a strange thing that the movie showed several fingers coming off. It was a pointless detraction from the book. I also think the "fingers" of Sauron correspond to the nine Nazgul.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #10
Ellwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ellwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks, Gil Galad and thank you all for responding to my topic!
'Too often have I heard of duty. But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?' - Éowyn
Ellwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 PM   #11
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I also think the "fingers" of Sauron correspond to the nine Nazgul.
Doesn't Gollum say something along those lines? Anyway, it's interesting, because Sauron gave out the 9 rings before he lost a finger. Did he just know that 9 was the right number of mortal men? Did there just happen to be 9 men who wanted rings? Was it all a coincidence?
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:19 PM   #12
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

More & more coincidences....

I didn't really think about Sauron having one finger for each of the Blackriders, that was probably purposed, though .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #13
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Doesn't Gollum say something along those lines? Anyway, it's interesting, because Sauron gave out the 9 rings before he lost a finger. Did he just know that 9 was the right number of mortal men? Did there just happen to be 9 men who wanted rings? Was it all a coincidence?
Rather because there were only nine rings available. If I remember it rightly, it took some time before he got the seven.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:32 AM   #14
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
You know, when you come to think of it; the numbers for the rings are quite symbolic. Three rings for the Elven Kings and there were three houses of the Elves: Vanyar, Noldor and Teleri. The Vanyar dwells in the West, of course, and the three rings were not made by Sauron either. Yet Sauron might have wanted to enslave all of the Eldar in Middle-Earth at least via those three rings.

The Seven houses of Dwarves corresponded likewise to Sauron's seven rings. Those rings were either destroyed or taken back. I wondered sometimes what Sauron did with those rings that he got back...

I do not know about the Houses of Men. I certainly know that there were three Edain house in the First Age. Perhaps there were six houses of Easterlings too? The nine Nazgul were literally like Sauron's nine fingers. To combat the nine Black Riders, Elrond send out nine walkers. Note that the Fellowship of the Ring, which comprised of the nine Walkers was eventually left with eight, since Boromir died on the way. But Sauron's Nine was made into eight too: the Witchking was killed. The parallel along those lines might have been coincidental, but it certainly even out the numbers of contestant in the end.

Er, if Gollum is to be counted as being on the side of the Evil, (not just Sauron) then the Nine Nazgul might be counted as ten. Gollum had not faded and was under no command of Sauron, but he definately represented evil and he had possessed for a long time the One ring that ought to have been in the finger of Sauron. If that is the case, however, I should count Gandalf's death in Moria as being parallel with the Witchking's defeat. Note the Parley at the gate of Minas Tirith. Gandalf, returned from the dead, facing the Witchking who is just about to die and not return. Then Gollum's death at Mount Doom might also parallel with the death of Boromir. Both of them betrayed Frodo, and both died and at the same time fulfilled their vow.

The One Ring is Sauron's own. Surely he would not want to make another for somebody else?
Hot, crispy nice hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #15
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
I think that Tolkien intentionally did that, but who knows?