The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
vanwafeniel
Pile O'Bones

vanwafeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey people, im new to this conversation as is obvious, well any way...i love books. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Any kind of book will do as long as it has WORDS! I recently read The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks. That changed me, it was so well written, dark, disturbing and psychotically funny. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like Psycho-analytical books, very philosophical. I have read most of Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles. They were very interesting for people like me who read gothic horror type science fiction, Ooooh I do love the main Character Lestat but the attempt at movies was a bad idea for Ann Rice. Memnoch the Devil is a brill Vampire Chronicle, by far her most philosophical chronicle though Interview With The Vampire is my favourite. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I think it was Guo Si who has read Journey to The West, please can you tell me where to find that book, i really want to read it! Thanks. I like the Darren Shan books by Darren Shan. Its tacky i know but they get gorier by the book. I seem to read lots of Vampire Fiction. I like most of my friends tried to read White Teeth by Zadie Smith but got bored by page 150, i wish they hadn't let her write, may sound harsh but the thought of boring books existing and pulling innocent readers into it scares me. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I like funny books, not so much as decent science fiction but hey, we all need humour, stuff by Eoin Colfer, his Artemis Fowl books were hilarious.
Aswell as science fiction does anybody here read actual science books? Stuff by Hawking? I love the Elegant Universe and anything on Schroedinger's theory. I am aware that its spelt wrong but i'm tired.
Please name some excellent science fiction books, i would be glad to read them. I have also read the books on Narnia etc but it was ages ago. I'm re-reading The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings in french! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]