The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2003, 12:51 AM   #1
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting Boromir. Book V.S. Movie

I hated how they made boromir look so mean at the end of the fellowship movie. I heard people talking about it saying that boromir's the "bad guy". No he wasn't. Boromir is a cool character. It was just the evil powers of the ring that was easilly corrupting his mind. Can someone send me some more stuff so i can prove them wrong, cause they still choose to watch the movies instead of reading the books and taking my word for it.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:02 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

There are quite a few character comparisons on the Movies forum - I'm moving this thread there to join them. Please continue there - thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:25 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't think Boromir was the 'bad guy'. I thought it was pretty darn obvious that he was temporarily corrupted. Or did people blank out during the apologising, worrying, and dying-to-save-the-hobbits part?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I agree that Boromir was portrayed really harshly in the movie, and the only reason that he seemed so was that PJ didn't give a very good portrayal of Boromir being sorry for attacking Frodo.<P>"Frodo?" *sniffle* "Frodo?!" *cry, sniffle* "Frodo!!"<P>It would have been a lot better if he had been like, "Oh my lord, what have I done?" and put a hand to his head, sitting down and looking extremely confused. Like in TTT Extended, when he is talking to Denethor and he says, very worried and confused-looking, "The One Ring... Isildur's Bane."<P>Altogether, though, until the end of the first movie, I think they did well with Boromir. Every other line was "Merry! Pippin! With me!" or "They took the little ones!"

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I agree that Boromir was portrayed really harshly in the movie, and the only reason that he seemed so was that PJ didn't give a very good portrayal of Boromir being sorry for attacking Frodo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sorry, but I couldn't agree less! I think Boromir was one of the best portrayals and I liked Sean's Boromir better than Tolkien's version, in fact! The added Boromir parts in the TTT:EE also serve to illustrate a character who is not so concerned with the subtleties of Ring Lore but who is ready to make any sacrifice for Gondor and whose intentions are good but his deeper knowledge lacking. <P>As for his contriteness at the attack on Frodo, I think he showed as much regret as any good person would. You hear him screaming his apologies through a fog as Frodo is running away; of course, in the book, Frodo could no longer hear him and the rift is drawn forever between the two. The book and the movie follow Frodo's point of view here. I found Boromir's sorrow to ring genuine at this point and it made the last ditch effort to save Merry and Pippin all the more poignant. That battle scene is one of my favorite of all of them!<P>Cheers and welcome, <B>Beanamir</B>! (Great name, by the way!)<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:30 PM   #6
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I think that Sean Bean played Boromir just as well as any(except for the hair color, which I didn't really mind) and he did a wonderful job portraying Boromir. Of course he looked mean and evil, but he certainly sounded genuinely sorry afterwards.<P>He was one of my favorite characters in the movie version of the FotR, and I was glad to see him again in the EE of the TT. That was really cool.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #7
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i loved sean bean's portrayl of Boromir and i'm so happy he's in ROTK. his final scenes were heart wrenching.<P>although it's not linked to the thread: I SAW SEAN BEAN ON STAGE IN MACBETH AAAAAAAAAAH! he was great.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #8
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Lyta. The movie Boromir was a lot more positive than the book's version--mostly due to Sean Bean playing him with a lot more self-doubt than the book seemed to suggest. He was awesome.<P>I saw him in MacBeth, too. It was awesome.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #9
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

Yeah macbeth was good. But they portrayed him too harshly. I was talking about it with my brother and he agrees with me abou that. I like Sean Bean, he was great in goldeneye but PJ mad him out to be a bad guy and i really like boromir in the books.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #10
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that Boromir was a bad guy, he came across that way because of the powers of the ring and his desire to have it.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:41 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Yes, I agree largely with Lyta, although I believe that the sympathetic side of Bormoir that we see in the films was there in the book too. In fact, I feel that Boromir is one of the film characters (along with Sam and Gandalf) that remains closest to his characterisation in the book. <P>For me, Sean Bean's performance was one of the best (if not <I>the</I> best) in the films to date.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #12
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dunno I thought he was done allright in the movie.Now his brother Faramir on the other hand,well.....it was about as bad as liv tylers performance..
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now his brother Faramir on the other hand,well.....it was about as bad as liv tylers performance..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Lets not get side-tracked . <P><I>P.S. There wasn't much wrong with Liv's 'preformance', only the script she was given.</I>
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #14
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sean Bean played Boromir brilliantly. One of my favorite scenes from FOTR is the one where Merry and Pippin jump on him after he inadvertantly hurts Pippin while teaching him to sword fight! Hilarious!<P>And of course, the scene where he dies is great. Except for Aragorn coming out of nowhere to save him from having his skull split open, which is too unrealistic though very cool in a movie. Is it me, or does Aragorn come out of nowhere way too much in the films?

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:59 AM   #15
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am sorry but I disagree. I did not like Sean's portrayal of Boromir. In the book, the Boromir is a very good guy until his one on one with Frodo. His character is seen as much more warm than Sean Bean did portray it.<P>He was the worst character among the fellowship.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:02 AM   #16
samrohan
Wight

Sting

I did not mean to be negative, I think Sean Bean is a very good actor but his casting as Boromir was not the most accurate.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:09 AM   #17
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yes, I agree largely with Lyta, although I believe that the sympathetic side of Bormoir that we see in the films was there in the book too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I can understand that, <B>Saucepan Man</B>. To my recollection. much of Boromir's depth comes from reference and recollection, rather than direct characterization. Perceiving Boromir through Pippin is particularly rewarding, and I can see how the change in identification with certain characters could influence how one reads Tolkien's Boromir. Sean B., to my mind, exteriorizes much of the implied depth of Boromir, that one could miss easily in the book, and shows himself to be worthy of the pledge that Pippin makes in his memory...<P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:17 AM   #18
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think Sean Bean is a very good actor but his casting as Boromir was not the most accurate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's of course all a matter of personal opinion, but I think he was the perfect Boromir. He ìs a wonderful actor and I really can't think of anyone who could have done it better then him.<P>As for movie-Boromir being a "bad guy", I must say that I had sympathy for him all the movie long, even when he tried to take the ring from Frodo. I felt sorry for him, trying really hard to make things right for his father and his people, he was just a victim.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:22 AM   #19
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I certainly disagree with those who say he was portrayed as to "harsh" or as a "bad guy" in Mr. Jackson's movies. Sean Bean played him very solidly, I thought, and the only difference I found between book and movie Boromir was that Boromir in the movie was a bit more fleshed out, so to speak.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:36 PM   #20
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I am sorry but I disagree. I did not like Sean's portrayal of Boromir. In the book, the Boromir is a very good guy until his one on one with Frodo. His character is seen as much more warm than Sean Bean did portray it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think I must have read a different book to the one you did. To my recollection in the FOTR Boromir is nearly always described in negative terms. Reflecting upon his pride for example.<P>He is only really seen in a more positive light in the later two books through the recollections of Pippin and Faramir.<P>For me Sean Bean was the best performer in the films. Much as I really, really love Ian McKellen's performance as Gandalf I felt he only fully matched up to the book's Gandalf.<BR>Whereas Sean Bean improved on the books Boromir.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:33 PM   #21
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I think that Bean was deffinitly best suited for Boromir (he's a great actor, but I can't really see him as Aragorn). You could make an argument that he had to play the most complex character in FotR. He had to display a much wider range of emotions than anyone else, & walk a fine line between proud & compassionate. Plus the 'evil fit' thing is far harder to pull off than one might think.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:43 AM   #22
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only time i saw Boromoir as harsh eas when he attacked Frodo in the movie. But, when he died trying to save the hobbits it made him seem like a good hero again, and thats how i remember him.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:00 PM   #23
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Borimir is my favorite character in both the FOTR book and movie because he was a very good and loyal person that was tragiclly courupted by the ring, and a lot of people that aren't familier with the books think he was a bad person. It's not because of his potrayal in the movie, but because it is sometimes hard for people to see past a persons flaws and judge them based on their heart. <P>I think people who thought Borimir was bad will watch ROTK and see what happens with Smeagol, then go back and watch FOTR and realize that he wasn't and bad person, he was just trying to help his people and was corupted by the ring's power.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #24
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>For me Sean Bean was the best performer in the films. Much as I really, really love Ian McKellen's performance as Gandalf I felt he only fully matched up to the book's Gandalf.<BR>Whereas Sean Bean improved on the books Boromir. (Eurytus)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree that Sean Bean probably provided the best performance of the movies (Ian McKellen and Ian Holm were close). I think, however, that McKellen's part was probably harder to play all in all, as Gandalf is a much more ambiguous character, and therefore I have to lend a great deal of credit to McKellen as well.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 AM   #25
samrohan
Wight

Sting

Well, it might have been. I have read the book 9 times and Boromir does not appear as a bad character. Sean Bean makes him appear cold-hearted which is is not. It is only when the ring gets to him that he becomes corrupted and cold.<P>At the end of the day I think that Sean Bean being a famous actor is the reason why I did not like the character. For the same reason as I did not like Liv Tyler as Arwen. PJ should have chosen unknown actors for all roles so as to allow the actors to portray these unique roles. I do not want to look at Arwen and see Liv Tyler, Boromir and see Sean Bean, and the list goes on... It is subjective.<P>I suppose I am saying that I prefer the Boromir in the book because Tolkien allows me to portray my idea of what Boromir looks and behaves like instead of being forced into accepting an actors interpretation. So unless the two are similar nobody would be satisfied.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #26
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I didn't think of the movie Boromir has harsh at all. He seemed to be a good character. I really liked him. And his speech to Aragorn about the White City. That was really great. Of course he seemed angry at the end when lust for the ring was conrolling him. I thought they did a marvelous job on his death scene though... <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I dunno I thought he was done allright in the movie.Now his brother Faramir on the other hand,well.....it was about as bad as liv tylers performance.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #27
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sean Bean makes him appear cold-hearted which is is not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When!?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I suppose I am saying that I prefer the Boromir in the book because Tolkien allows me to portray my idea of what Boromir looks and behaves like instead of being forced into accepting an actors interpretation. So unless the two are similar nobody would be satisfied. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>While that's certainly understandable, we might as well just through out the movies & any future attempt to re-do them, because someone's idea of somebody in the books is going to be offended. Seriously...also, I don't think that Sean Bean is someone who should be kept out of the movies because of him 'famousness'. PJ's talking more about the Tom Cruise, Colin Ferrel, Jenifer Garner, Mel Gibson, Keunu Reeves (God forbid! ) type of famous.<P>I don't get all the whining about Liv's preformance, I thought she delevered well, if you want to hate on Arwen, than complain about the script that PJ gave her. She's <B>not</B> that bad of an actor .<p>[ 4:56 PM December 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 12-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #28
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I applaud the writing team (for possibly the <B>only</B> time) for the job they did with Boromir.<P>While Gandalf and Bilbo (remarkably!) lived up to absolutely <B>every</B> expectation, the character of Boromir was, in my opinion, a lot more fleshed out and believable than in the books. While others managed to get the essence of the character from reading The Fellowship of the Ring, the main picture I got was that he was this guy they were travelling with that nobody seemed to like very much. He's constantly being scolded by the heroes.<P>movieBoromir is much more likeable, but has not lost any of the sinister aspects or the eminent weakness and susceptibility to corruption of his race. It's hard to believe that such a horrible job was done on Faramir when Boromir was done so well. <P>Boromir's speech on Mordor at the Council of Elrond is the single greatest added piece of dialogue, mainly because Double 0 Bean's delivery is impeccable. Some script things I didn't agree with were:<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>his emotional breakdown in Lórien (but it does fit in with the weakening of the men of Minas Tirith)<LI>not having his shield in the final battle (making it much less believable)<LI>arriving immaculately groomed at Rivendell after a ride of over a thousand miles<LI>tripping over a pile of leaves?!</UL> <P>His blubbering after Frodo was quite funny though, LOL!! His costume was possible the greatest!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #29
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think Sean bean did a wonderful job protraying Boromir and he's not cold hearted at all. Have any of u seen the EE version at all?
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote