The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
First look at Evangeline Lilly in 'The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug'

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Leaf

Hmmn. Perhaps they should have simply named this character “Legolass?”
Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
First impression: Is she the long-lost daughter of long-lost Maglor of something? She looks Feanorian.

Second impression: She looks old and not too beautiful. Bad job, whoever was working on her.

Third impression: Is that quiver hanging on her waist? I think we only saw the ones on the back in LOTR.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
First impression: Is she the long-lost daughter of long-lost Maglor of something? She looks Feanorian.
Well, red hair was exclusively limited to Mahtan's line... but then again, PJ doesn't have access to that material so he's free to do as he pleases.

The quiver seems to be hanging on her waist indeed. More practical than having it on the back, in my opinion.

I reserve my judgment till I've seen what PJ does with her. I'm not too hopeful because we know what he's capable of, but hey, somebody's got to be the captain of guard, and unlike many, while I'm skeptical by default about all PJ's additions, I don't have a problem with her being a woman.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Wait...I must be way out of the loop, but I thought I read something that said her character had been cut.

Also, there is something about the ears that is bothering me...they are too noticable or something.

And, because of the recent Star Trek movie, I look at her and think "Vulcan."
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I have no particular objection to her appearance, although I can't help but feel a slight "cut-price Arwen" vibe for whatever reason.
The most objectionable thing I've heard about this character is the alleged Elf-Dwarf romance (involving Kíli, perhaps?). Seems to just perpetuate the previous film's attitude that Dwarves are only "interesting" if they're basically just short Men.

Incidentally, is there a particular reason, do you think, that Tolkien never (to the best of my knowledge) suggests "half-Dwarves" or any interbreeding of that kind? Besides the insular nature of Dwarven culture, I mean. I always supposed that being "adoptive" children of Eru, there was something slightly alien about them in almost a physiological sense which put something of a divide between them and the explicitly "human" races which interbred: Elves, Men (including Hobbits) and Orcs (assuming they were Fallen Children). That's my more lore-based reason for why I find the romance rumour a bit dodgy.

Knowing PJ's tendencies though she'll probably end up with about three lines of incidental dialogue in large group scenes and lots of shots of her and Legolas intercut fighting spiders, werewolves, goblins, Ringwraiths, giant robotic Saurons, mûmakil riding slightly larger mûmakil, and Azog. Well, maybe that last one's a bit far-fetched...
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
Incidentally, is there a particular reason, do you think, that Tolkien never (to the best of my knowledge) suggests "half-Dwarves" or any interbreeding of that kind? Besides the insular nature of Dwarven culture, I mean. I always supposed that being "adoptive" children of Eru, there was something slightly alien about them in almost a physiological sense which put something of a divide between them and the explicitly "human" races which interbred: Elves, Men (including Hobbits) and Orcs (assuming they were Fallen Children). That's my more lore-based reason for why I find the romance rumour a bit dodgy.
Well, inter-racial combinations were rare even between Men and Elves, and they were fundamentally more alike then Dwarves were to either. Add that to the fact that Dwarven women could have had longer beards than the male part of the equation, and maybe there lies the explanation.

Quote:
Knowing PJ's tendencies though she'll probably end up with about three lines of incidental dialogue in large group scenes and lots of shots of her and Legolas intercut fighting spiders, werewolves, goblins, Ringwraiths, giant robotic Saurons, mûmakil riding slightly larger mûmakil, and Azog. Well, maybe that last one's a bit far-fetched...
That's far too restrained for PJ.

Last edited by Inziladun; 06-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
There were warrior women in ancient mythologies--the Amazons. They were even said to resort to mastectomies in order to improve their use of weapons.

So, like Aganzir, I don't necessarily object to adding a female character (which I view as less troublesome than mucking up Arwen). I just don't have much faith that the director will handle the character well. Or the writers for that matter.

It would be really nice, for instance, if the added new female character passed the Bechdel test.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
It would be really nice, for instance, if the added new female character passed the Bechdel test.
You know, Tolkien was able to present us with strong, memorable female characters like Morwen, Éowyn, and of course Galadriel, without coming near Hollywood-type clichés. Can PJ pull that off? Not if the past is any indication...
Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe I should have put this in Mirth, because it's so amusing, but it relates...

(link, in case you can't see the picture, because I can't)

Look at these adorable lovebird action figures! Now, maybe the toy makers know more details about the plot than PJ lets on?...

Now what does Tauriel do behind the scenes, we wonders...
Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You know, Tolkien was able to present us with strong, memorable female characters like Morwen, Éowyn, and of course Galadriel, without coming near Hollywood-type clichés. Can PJ pull that off? Not if the past is any indication...
I might get hounded down for this, but there is more to presenting female characters than simply being strong. It is possible that Tolkien would not pass the Bechdel test either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechdel test
1. It has to have at least two women in it,
2. who talk to each other,
3. about something besides a man.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I might get hounded down for this, but there is more to presenting female characters than simply being strong. It is possible that Tolkien would not pass the Bechdel test either.
Tolkien hits it with Melian and Galadriel, if not in LOTR, and to me that alone sets him above PJ's observed work in the matter.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Tolkien hits it with Melian and Galadriel, if not in LOTR, and to me that alone sets him above PJ's observed work in the matter.
The interesting point about the Bechdal test is that it is not based on personal preference or opinion. It examines how characters relate to each other in specific terms, the topic of their conversations.

When you say that "Tolkien hits it" I really have no idea what you mean except that you approve of or like the characters--which of course is your right. I'm not much of a fan of Galadriel because I don't like the "type" she is, the revered, distant beauty. The emphasis on physical beauty is a drawback to me, but that is my personal opinion. Her characterisation is also confused, rather than consistent, through the ages. This bugs me too.

Melian is more consistent and I like her trait of singing but even there I am bothered by the concept of her "girdle" which maintains the peace and serenity of Doriath. Again, this is my own personal grudge about the idea of a magical barrier that keeps a place safe. I don't believe that 'good' can be maintained against 'evil' that way. It's possible Tolkien didn't either because every time he uses the concept, it fails.

Now, if The Silm had given us an extended passage where the two--Galadriel and Melian--discuss the fate of the world, that would have been something which would have demonstrated their intellect and wisdom. But we don't get that. Mostly we are told of their wise decisions rather than seeing how they negotiate the correct stance. Ultimately, we get a mum who really does not defend her daughter against an overbearing and autocratic husband/father. She never challenges the patriarchy for the sake of her daughter. Again, this is my personal value rather than a guideline for discussing how characters are presented.

I will say that at least Tolkien didn't indulge in pyrotechnics with Galadriel, which a certain director did. With Gandalf, we get exposition about his attraction to the ring. With Galadriel, we get fireworks. I would much rather have seen the actress emote.

Makes me very dubious about this Tauriel. Perhaps her red hair is supposed to be a joke about all those Mary Sues?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
When you say that "Tolkien hits it" I really have no idea what you mean except that you approve of or like the characters--which of course is your right.
I meant that that scene seems to pass the Bechdal Test.

Quote:
Melian is more consistent and I like her trait of singing but even there I am bothered by the concept of her "girdle" which maintains the peace and serenity of Doriath. Again, this is my own personal grudge about the idea of a magical barrier that keeps a place safe. I don't believe that 'good' can be maintained against 'evil' that way. It's possible Tolkien didn't either because every time he uses the concept, it fails.
Didn't Galadriel maintain her "realm" in a very similar fashion, with the power of Nenya? She seemed to have had some success. Notice in each case it is the female who ultimately defends the home, despite armed might being in the hands of the males.

Quote:
Now, if The Silm had given us an extended passage where the two--Galadriel and Melian--discuss the fate of the world, that would have been something which would have demonstrated their intellect and wisdom. But we don't get that. Mostly we are told of their wise decisions rather than seeing how they negotiate the correct stance. Ultimately, we get a mum who really does not defend her daughter against an overbearing and autocratic husband/father. She never challenges the patriarchy for the sake of her daughter. Again, this is my personal value rather than a guideline for discussing how characters are presented.
Interesting. How would you characterize Melian's dealings with another mum, Morwen?

Quote:
I will say that at least Tolkien didn't indulge in pyrotechnics with Galadriel, which a certain director did. With Gandalf, we get exposition about his attraction to the ring. With Galadriel, we get fireworks. I would much rather have seen the actress emote.
Would that be an overreaction on the part of PJ, akin to warrior-princess Arwen? As in the only way to show power in a woman is physical demonstrations?

Quote:
Makes me very dubious about this Tauriel. Perhaps her red hair is supposed to be a joke about all those Mary Sues?
Is PJ really subtle enough for that to be the case?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I think you're right here throughout, except for one thing: I don't think it's really a joke.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I do mind her being a woman or at least having a woman imposed on a book character - though from the barrel scenes and the casting we have clearly lost my favourite scene of Galion getting sozzled with the captain of the guard. While Elf women could and did fight in defence having a woman shoehorned in as a military leader is hugely patronising as well as uncanonical. Women do not have to bear arms to equal men. And she looks dreadful.... the work of Weta and the costumes were one of the things I actively enjoyed from the first films - Evangeline Lilly, who is unquestionably a beautiful woman, looks as if she is in fancy dress for a convention with the bad henna dye job and the jokeshop ears.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I do seriously look forward to the clip from DOS with Bilbo on water-skis, jumping over a shark.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Incidentally, is there a particular reason, do you think, that Tolkien never (to the best of my knowledge) suggests "half-Dwarves" or any interbreeding of that kind?
I agree on your interpretation about their alien nature (alien also being the word Tolkien uses of dwarves in relation to everybody else), starting from the fact that Aulë is supposed to gather their fëar in a special place, separate from the children of Ilúvatar.

I don't remember any particular passage that states definitively that procreation between Men and Dwarves doesn't exist, but the absolute lack of any speculation about it implies heavily that this is the case. Cultural isolation and differences aside, I'm not sure it would even be biologically possible.

I've also heard rumours about
  • Tauriel and Legolas having something going on
  • Tauriel having a crush on Thranduil
  • Tauriel saving the dwarves from Thranduil's dungeon
No idea how reliable these are, but cheer up - they all can't be true!

Quote:
Tolkien was also able to present us with strong, memorable male characters, but could PJ pull it off? Not half as well as Tolkien.

Still, PJ is going to make uncanonical changes, and although the quality of the story he tells isn't even close to Tolkien, some changes are better and some worse than others. I can't tell which Tauriel is before I've seen her, but as a rule, making an additional character woman is far from the worst thing he has done. And even if they botch her, chances are I'm still more upset about Azog and short beards.

Quote:
The interesting point about the Bechdal test is that it is not based on personal preference or opinion. It examines how characters relate to each other in specific terms, the topic of their conversations.
Yes - and it doesn't work to determine a film's feminism value, but rather it brings attention to how underrepresented women are. Try to think of a popular book/film that does NOT have two male characters, who talk to each other, about something besides a woman.

Took you long, didn't it?

Quote:
Melian is more consistent and I like her trait of singing but even there I am bothered by the concept of her "girdle"
I'm bothered by her taste in men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
While Elf women could and did fight in defence having a woman shoehorned in as a military leader is hugely patronising as well as uncanonical. Women do not have to bear arms to equal men.
I understand it in an adventure film where bearing arms is what all the protagonists do. She'd hardly be 'equal' to the adventurers, or a relevant part of their story, if she didn't do the same.

You're right about Weta doing a better job with the first trilogy. How many of you have seen Disney sequels? That's exactly what springs to mind when comparing the visual styles of the two trilogies with each other.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
I do seriously look forward to the clip from DOS with Bilbo on water-skis, jumping over a shark.
I believe he will be jumping Sharkey, not shark. Filmed in Wetwang, of course.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
And she looks dreadful.... the work of Weta and the costumes were one of the things I actively enjoyed from the first films - Evangeline Lilly, who is unquestionably a beautiful woman, looks as if she is in fancy dress for a convention with the bad henna dye job and the jokeshop ears.
No, she didn’t exactly get the most inspired character design. It honestly looks like someone just googled “Elf warrior” and based it on the first few pics that showed up.

(Or did look like that– link seems to be broken now.)
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Still, PJ is going to make uncanonical changes, and although the quality of the story he tells isn't even close to Tolkien, some changes are better and some worse than others. I can't tell which Tauriel is before I've seen her, but as a rule, making an additional character woman is far from the worst thing he has done. And even if they botch her, chances are I'm still more upset about Azog and short beards.
On the whole I agree with this– however, now that we’ve seen the character, well, she does look like a distillation of every Elf-Mary Sue ever, doesn’t she?

That said, I could certainly do without this thread turning into another of those OMG a WOMAN in THE HOBBIT??? EWWW!!! GIRLGERMS!!!111!!!! affairs.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
I meant that that scene seems to pass the Bechdal Test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
Tolkien hits it with Melian and Galadriel, if not in LOTR.
My bad! I misread that as a reference simply to the two characters and not to the brief descriptions of their meetings in The Silm. But let's see how the actual "scenes" do hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bechdal test
1. It has to have at least two women in it,
2. who talk to each other,
3. about something besides a man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Return of the Noldar
Galadriel his sister went not with him to Nargothrond, for in Doriath dwelt Celeborn, kinsman of Thingol, and there was great love between them. Therefore she remained in the Hidden Kingdom, and abode with Melian, and of her learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle-earth.
This does not satisfy the test, to my mind, for several reasons. First of all, we do not have a real scene with conversation or dialogue between the two women. We have a report of their relationship. Thus, their relationship is filtered by the narrator. Second, the passage highlights Galadriel's reason for staying in Doriath--the great love between her and Celeborn. Nor is there much characterisation of the two women. So, nope, this episode does not pass the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Noldor in Beleriand
And at times Melian and Galadriel would speak together of Valinor and the bliss of of old; but beyond the dark hour of the death of the Trees Galadriel would not go, but ever fell silent. And on a time Melian said, " There is some woe that lies upon you and your kin. That I can see in you, but all else is hidden from me; for by no vision or thought can I perceive anything that passed or passes in the West: a shadow lies over all the land of Aman, and reaches far out over the sea. Why will you not tell me more?"
"For that woe is past," said Galadriel; "and I would take what joy is here left, untrubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, though still hope may seem bright."
Then Melian looked in her eyes, and said: "I believe not that the Noldor came forth as messengers of the Valar, as was said at first: not though they came in the very hour of our need. For they speak never of the Valar, nor have their high lords brought any message to Thingol, whether from Manwe, or Ulmo, or even from Olwe the King's brother, and his own folk went over the sea. For what cause, Galadriel, were the high people of the Noldor driven forth as exiles from Aman? Or what evil lies on the sons of Feanor that they are so haughty and so fell? Do I not strike near the truth?"
"Near," said Galadriel; "save that we were not driven forth, but came of our own will, and against that of the Valar. And through great peril and in despite of the Valar for this purpose we came to take vengeance upon Morgoth, and regain what he stole."
Then Galadriel spoke to Melian of the Silmarils, and of the slaying of King Finwe at Formenos; but still she said no word of the Oath, nor of the Kinslaying, nor of the burning of the ships at Losgar. But Melian said: "Now much you tell me, and yet more I perceive. A darkness you would cast over the long road from Tirion, but I see evil there, which Thingol should learn for his guidance."
"Maybe," said Galadriel; "but not of me."
And Melian then spoke no more of these matters with Galadriel; but she told King Thingol all that she had heard of the Silmarils.
Now this seems closer to the test! We have a bit of conversation between the women, even if it falls into report about the Silmarils. We can gather a bit more of motivation or characterisation here as well, with Galadriel's reticence to speak all and Melian's subtle prompting.

Does this present the scene I had spoken of, >>>Now, if The Silm had given us an extended passage where the two--Galadriel and Melian--discuss the fate of the world, that would have been something which would have demonstrated their intellect and wisdom. But we don't get that. Mostly we are told of their wise decisions or thought rather than seeing how they negotiate the correct stance.<<< ?

Well, yes, it does appear that Melian learns something significant from this conversation. Yet can we say that essentially Melian's role is to be almost Thingol's spy here? She reports it to Thingol, so that the entire conversation serves Thingol's needs, precedes the report of a spreading rumour about the Noldor, and in fact antagonises the King against the visiting Finrod. The events in the chapter become an explanation for the decline of one language and the supremacy of another. The women are small potatoes in that, no matter how ironic their role in the events may be.

And of these effects neither Galadriel nor Melian have any control. They are passive conveyors of details rather than characters with full agency. They are women negotiating their position within the patriarchy and as such I think that is a kind of representation. But they are still discussing men--the haughty and fell nature of the sons of Feanor and Thingol's need for guidance.

This is indeed far closer than anything in LotR or TH, but the women are still passive and inadvertent bearers of story details that really are about the men in their lives. Not quite what I had in mind, but I might be too strict in my interpretation of the Test.

Quote:
Didn't Galadriel maintain her "realm" in a very similar fashion, with the power of Nenya? She seemed to have had some success. Notice in each case it is the female who ultimately defends the home, despite armed might being in the hands of the males.
Yet it is a stereotypical defense and unrelated to the Bechdal Test, which, as Agan has pointed out:

Quote:
and it doesn't work to determine a film's feminism value, but rather it brings attention to how underrepresented women are.
The feminist values of the representation are indeed another topic to which I must not stray, however much I dallied around them in the previous post.

Quote:
Interesting. How would you characterize Melian's dealings with another mum, Morwen?
We aren't given any specific scenes of Melian's dealings with Morwen, are we? We are told that Morwen is "fey" and "distraught" and refuses the counsel of Melian but again, that is reported narrative and not an actual conversation. And it would have been about Turin anyway.; There really isn't enough material to generate any kind of generalisation about how Melian treated motherhood.

Quote:
You are right to seek in The Silm for some of Tolkien's representations of strong women; what I would have liked to have seen is Haleth leading her people in more detail, because there is a woman who is sole leader, no consort. However, we do have to remember that PJ has but LotR and TH to work with. I don't think he has access to The Silm, so that all he has to work with are the fewer representations in LotR and TH; I'm not sure how much of the Appendices he can touch at length.

Quote:
Would that be an overreaction on the part of PJ, akin to warrior-princess Arwen? As in the only way to show power in a woman is physical demonstrations?
I like Agan's reply to Mithalwen about power in protagonists in an action flick. But I also think it was a mistake to change Arwen's character. Personally, I also think PJ likes to go with the big boom, as that is a large part , if not the main part, of action flicks, which are as much an influence on his film-making as Tolkien, if not more.

Quote:
Is PJ really subtle enough for that to be the case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
I don't think it's really a joke.
lol, But he does favour fairly rank forms of humour in inappropriate places.

Quote:
I'm bothered by her taste in men.
Oh, no question!

Quote:
I do mind her being a woman or at least having a woman imposed on a book character - though from the barrel scenes and the casting we have clearly lost my favourite scene of Galion getting sozzled with the captain of the guard.
Now that we shall have to wait to see. Would PJ dare show a Marion Ravenwood?

And I do believe this is the longest post I've made in ever so long.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 06-08-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: coding *sigh*
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
I do mind her being a woman or at least having a woman imposed on a book character - though from the barrel scenes and the casting we have clearly lost my favourite scene of Galion getting sozzled with the captain of the guard.
That was probably the most memorable scene I kept in mind while reading LOTR later on, that elves aren't always this ethereal fluff of melancholy hanging in the air of every event, scene, etc.
Really rather sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Yes - and it doesn't work to determine a film's feminism value, but rather it brings attention to how underrepresented women are. Try to think of a popular book/film that does NOT have two male characters, who talk to each other, about something besides a woman.

Took you long, didn't it?
I doubt works such as The Mists of Avalon could even pass the Bechtel test in it's entirety. Certainly certain chapters, but not every little thing. If anything it was a Bechtel test of its own source material, thought provoking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun
The remaining exception of all of these examples, with someone taking a bit more than just a defense interest in the home would be Haleth. Probably the only figure of the feminine persuasion who isn't just 'guarding the home' for someone, or who eventually 'stops playing at war chief' and settles down.

... Though I highly doubt Tauriel is going to be as in Tolkien's words: "a renowned amazon with a picked bodyguard of women" (The Peoples of Middle Earth). Also, if anyone remembers from the 'sneak peak' preview on The Hobbit website where of all people Stephen Colbert points out the difference between Thranduil & family from the rest of the elves in his society, PJ makes a quip about Tauriel being among those who did not heed the call west. Apparently she's some sort of device to familiarize the audience with the stratification of elven society (aka: 'one of these elves is not like the other-').

To be honest and nothing against the wishful thinking of other female fans, I see Tauriel as a plot device to do two major things:

- Familiarize fans who may not have read too deep into the different branches of elven society (as since most highly recognizable elven characters in the film are high elves of some sort)
- Serve as a device to bust the dwarves out of prison, since apparently our merry drunken duo and most of Bilbo's crafty reconnaissance and stealth have been dropped out of the film.

It's always a good thing to remember that in homages and recreations of works where a female figure has been inserted for appeasement purposes or else, it can still be pandering and sexist (maybe even more so) than if no character had been added to the original material. Mostly because, in the often wrong hands, such a character comes off as just 'eye candy', 'comedic', 'one dimensional' and/or 'useless'. It just ends up being heaped upon the burn pile of 'ugh, not another fan-service to feminism' for those who tend to think us females rattle our sabers over nothing.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #24
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethbery
This is indeed far closer than anything in LotR or TH, but the women are still passive and inadvertent bearers of story details that really are about the men in their lives. Not quite what I had in mind, but I might be too strict in my interpretation of the Test.
Actually, Beth, I rather think you are a bit– or rather, perhaps, not strict enough– I doubt “talking about a man” was meant to be stretched that far. After all, it tremendously limits the topics women are “allowed” to discuss– which was surely not the original intention. (Besides, isn’t the point of the test pretty much that it *shouldn’t* be terribly hard to pass?)

On the other hand–

Quote:
Quote:
While Elf women could and did fight in defence having a woman shoehorned in as a military leader is hugely patronising as well as uncanonical. Women do not have to bear arms to equal men.
I understand it in an adventure film where bearing arms is what all the protagonists do. She'd hardly be 'equal' to the adventurers, or a relevant part of their story, if she didn't do the same.
Indeed. No offence to Mith or Zil or anyone else, but I’ve often heard this “why can’t they show true, feminine strength” argument in relation to action/adventure heroines, and it sounds fine until you ask yourself what, in practical terms, the lady is then meant to *do* in the story.

See, one hears a lot about the “the need for strong female characters”, but obviously it’s a bit more complicated than that when, even in such a small group, we can’t seem to reach any real agreement about what the phrase means in the first place. (I also find it to be of some concern how restrictive the various criteria are– male characters are always given a lot more leeway.) For my part I’d be reasonably satisfied if this Tauriel’s portrayal doesn’t turn out downright embarrassing– and I think that has more to do with issues other than such relatively abstract ones. Will she get any real characterisation at all, or just be a cardboard cutout? Will she spout allegedly hilarious one-liners? Will her scenes feature endless cheesecake shots? Will we be subjected to the threatened Elf/Dwarf romance?

...Will she *really* look this silly? (“Hmmn... looks like the Costume Department's already over-budget, so we’ll just hire an elf-ranger outfit from Partyland down the road. I’m sure no-one’ll notice...")
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #25
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Meh, I probably shouldn't even be posting here, as I haven't seen AUJ, and I have no plans to watch DOS.

I'll just leave off by saying that if Tolkien fails in his presentation of what one perceives as a "strong" female character, I am not at all confident that the movies, geared as they are toward mass modern audience appeal, will accomplish that better.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Are male characters only strong if they bear arms? Why not have a woman ruler of Laketown? Surely because she would be older and morally ambiguous and wouldn't be hawt enough for the desired demographic. Don't be under any illusion that Tauriel is there for the girls. If there had been a genuine place for a female role model the role wouldn't have changed with the availability of the actress.

I don't get the problem with the Girdle of Melian. We aren't talking about Spanx. If you take the verb formof gird it has rather more positive associations with Knighthood which incidentally I think the gifts in Lorien to Boromir and the younger hobbits are more significant than they may fiirst appear (I am very slowly writing a paper on this so I will spare you further ramblings). Idrll is perhaps the one female character who is unreservedly admirable and it is her wisdom and preparedness that save some of her people and without which even the valour of Glorfindel et all would have been futile.

Finally I reject the suggestion that objecting to Tauriel makes me somehow anti feminist. I care about the story not the gender of the protagonists.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
On the whole I agree with this– however, now that we’ve seen the character, well, she does look like a distillation of every Elf-Mary Sue ever, doesn’t she?
She does. But I still want to see her on the screen before passing my judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
- Serve as a device to bust the dwarves out of prison, since apparently our merry drunken duo and most of Bilbo's crafty reconnaissance and stealth have been dropped out of the film.
This makes me sad because that's the part I had been really looking forward to. Apparently PJ doesn't have the guts to portray the elves as Tolkien did (never mind that the Hobbit can't be seen as canon in every respect). Ah why do they have to be so... first age?

Quote:
Actually, Beth, I rather think you are a bit– or rather, perhaps, not strict enough– I doubt “talking about a man” was meant to be stretched that far. After all, it tremendously limits the topics women are “allowed” to discuss– which was surely not the original intention. (Besides, isn’t the point of the test pretty much that it *shouldn’t* be terribly hard to pass?)
There are different versions, but I don't think B-berry's (I should probably stop using this acronym because I pronounce it 'Bieberry' in my head) interpretation was off. Of course women can talk about men, but since the male characters don't only talk about women either, it would be justified to show women speaking of something that adds something to them as characters instead of to the male characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
See, one hears a lot about the “the need for strong female characters”, but obviously it’s a bit more complicated than that when, even in such a small group, we can’t seem to reach any real agreement about what the phrase means in the first place.
Oh but Peter Jackson and his wonderful sense of nuances have already defined it to us! In his world, strong = physically strong and able.

Quote:
Don't be under any illusion that Tauriel is there for the girls. If there had been a genuine place for a female role model the role wouldn't have changed with the availability of the actress.
Ditto.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

Quote:
There are different versions, but I don't think B-berry's (I should probably stop using this acronym because I pronounce it 'Bieberry' in my head) interpretation was off. Of course women can talk about men, but since the male characters don't only talk about women either, it would be justified to show women speaking of something that adds something to them as characters instead of to the male characters.
But I think there is a difference between “talking about men” and “talking about a series of events in which men were involved”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Finally I reject the suggestion that objecting to Tauriel makes me somehow anti feminist. I care about the story not the gender of the protagonists.
Well, I certainly didn’t mean to suggest that, Mith. However, I do think there has been an overreaction to the mere fact of this character's being a girlie– which doesn’t, in itself, break the universe as far as I’m concerned. Neither does her bearing arms, in my opinion– of course it’s not the only way for a woman to be “strong”, but it’s a way, isn’t it? What I think matters anyway isn’t how closely a female character fits any given viewer’s or reader's ideal (feminist or otherwise) but how well-written and portrayed she is– and *that’s* where I fear it’s all going to come unstuck.

Hmmn. Seems I’ve got myself out on a limb here. Ah well.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
I don't get the problem with the Girdle of Melian. We aren't talking about Spanx. If you take the verb formof gird it has rather more positive associations with Knighthood which incidentally I think the gifts in Lorien to Boromir and the younger hobbits are more significant than they may fiirst appear (I am very slowly writing a paper on this so I will spare you further ramblings).
Oh, it's not the 'girdle' that bothers me; nor it's reference to a woman. I know Tolkien well enough to understand that he often was recovering an early meaning of word almost lost and he cared little if it required educating readers about the lost meaning. And we've all had our fun following Aragon, Legolas and Eomer in the van. And I know what 'gird up one's loins' means.

I have a philosophical objection to the idea that one can barricade or wall oneself in from danger or evil. I know this was well the case with many medieval walled cities and indeed with many 'gated' communities in the US these days. I believe that action simply exacerbates the social problems. The moment we claim some places are bad, we also fall prey to treating everyone there as bad and start expecting trouble. And vice versa, everyone in a good place as good. It's not a concept that resolves the difficulties but which makes rapproachment more difficult. So it is hard for me to see this as a positive activity and to regard the character who does it as a champion. There is in LotR--well, I think so, anyway--some suggestion that Galadriel's attempt to hold back time in Lorien was a mistake.

Quote:
Idrll is perhaps the one female character who is unreservedly admirable and it is her wisdom and preparedness that save some of her people and without which even the valour of Glorfindel et all would have been futile.
Indeed, she does have the foresight to build a way out of the enclosed city, which makes an intriguing contrast with Galadriel and Melian, but the actual building of it and escape through it is little dwelt upon. It's there and a salvation, but it is almost little more than a plot device. She is also largely represented as a possession and one of the motivations for Maeglin's malice and betrayal. Her character is admirable but her role in the narrative, grand as it is, is ultimately driven by men's attitude towards her: she cannot stop Maeglin, only escape from him. Maybe that's all the agency most women have ever had in history. I really wish we heard more from her. And perhaps this is one of the problems with discussing the Silm: it is not truly a novel with characterisation explored through dialogue, so how are we to evaluate the characters who are not thoroughly represented as characters are in realistic novels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Quote:
Oh, I hope that doesn't make me as yummy as a berry pie.

Yes, that's what I meant. The conversation is more a plot device that an expose or exploration of their characters.

Quote:
I'll just leave off by saying that if Tolkien fails in his presentation of what one perceives as a "strong" female character, I am not at all confident that the movies, geared as they are toward mass modern audience appeal, will accomplish that better.
Aye, there's the rub. I happen to think that Ioreth is one of Tolkien's most intriguing female characters and as best as I can recall there's nary a sign of her in PJ's RotK.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 06-08-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But it has been implied that it is the only way that a woman can be strong inthis film. I don't have a problem with female warriors per se and I certainly haven'T conformed to them in my own life (am I a strong woman because I played rugby but a weak one because I embroider and knit?). But i had the blessing to be born at about the first moment n time when having two x chromosomes wasn't such a limiting factor though I was born a little to soon to be able to realise my unlikeliy childhood ambition of being a RAF pilot and it is still unusu for women to chose frontline military roles. My Naval cousin observed that the women in his cohort at Dartmouth chose logistics not Warfare. Female warriors are not a usual part of Tolkien's universe and unless Tauriel is somme Jeanne dArc type figure it makes little sense for there to be a female captain if there are no women in the rank and file. I just think it ts the worst kind of facile tokenism and as such insulting to women.Makes about as much sense as having the Tom Hanks character in Saving Private Ryan played by a woman. Maybe PJ is salving some lingering resentment that he never worked on Xena. Dunno but I don't see how this character will be an improvement. If they were serious about it there would have been no need for a recreation when Ronan was unavailable. Too many changes seem to have been made to accommodate Jackson's pet actors for me to have an iota of faith that there is any real vision or integrity. It just seems to be pure self indulgence and the lack of female characters in the original a convenient but unconvincing excuse.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

We do not hear enough of Idril but she is far more proactive than any other woman. and can manage Daddy so she marries the lover of her choice AND is the only woman that does anything altruistic the only one who shows any leadeship and awareness of the wider context rather than forcing others into danger by wilful behaviour. Unlike certain others who we never hear the end of who are essentially only motivated by self interest.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
I have a philosophical objection to the idea that one can barricade or wall oneself in from danger or evil. I know this was well the case with many medieval walled cities and indeed with many 'gated' communities in the US these days. I believe that action simply exacerbates the social problems. The moment we claim some places are bad, we also fall prey to treating everyone there as bad and start expecting trouble. And vice versa, everyone in a good place as good. It's not a concept that resolves the difficulties but which makes rapproachment more difficult. So it is hard for me to see this as a positive activity and to regard the character who does it as a champion. There is in LotR--well, I think so, anyway--some suggestion that Galadriel's attempt to hold back time in Lorien was a mistake.
I think you're right earlier in the thread when you say you suspect that Tolkien had the same objection--virtually every one of his "gated communities" fails spectacularly: Nargothrond, Gondolin, and Doriath rather obviously; and you've mentioned how Tolkien censures Lorien and Rivendell as proceeding from the wrong ambitions--and thus the Elves failed. Likewise, with Gondor: Gandalf criticises Denethor's strategy of remaining behind guarded walls and it is only when Gondor marches out of itself to the Morannon that it can truly be said to contribute positively to the salvation of Middle-earth. Even Valinor, though it never falls in its isolation, fails from it.

Also, a brief hiccup of a thought:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
...she cannot stop Maeglin, only escape from him.
Substitute a couple characters and you get:

...they [all good folk] cannot stop Morgoth, only escape from him, which reads rather like the entire Silmarillion in microcosm--though Túrin's story, at least, suggest that the flight is ultimately impossible (and Gandalf says as much about the recurring waves of evil).

And this makes me think about the chief contrast between Idril and Lúthien--or is it their point of convergence?--namely that she does the complete opposite of her mother: where Melian guards against Morgoth, she goes on the attack. Not, obviously, in a military manner, but certainly in a proactive one.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #33
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I've also heard rumours about
  • Tauriel and Legolas having something going on
  • Tauriel having a crush on Thranduil
  • Tauriel saving the dwarves from Thranduil's dungeon
No idea how reliable these are, but cheer up - they all can't be true!
No idea if you meant that sarcastically or not, but I certainly think they can...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #34
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Melian at least protects her people her selfish daughter sits in a tree until it is in her own interest to get off her backside. Her proactivity is merely to satisfy her own desires and gets Felagund killed. I despise her and we hates her forever! Precioussesss

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-09-2013 at 03:41 AM. Reason: kindle induced typos
Old 06-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

So straw poll...does Tauriel look more like Peter Pan, Robin Hood or....?

Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #36
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Firstly, for all you Betchal testers - what think ye of Morwen and Nienor and the "generation war for independence"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
It's always a good thing to remember that in homages and recreations of works where a female figure has been inserted for appeasement purposes or else, it can still be pandering and sexist (maybe even more so) than if no character had been added to the original material. Mostly because, in the often wrong hands, such a character comes off as just 'eye candy', 'comedic', 'one dimensional' and/or 'useless'. It just ends up being heaped upon the burn pile of 'ugh, not another fan-service to feminism' for those who tend to think us females rattle our sabers over nothing.
That's quite true. I think also that putting a woman in the plot just for the sake of having a woman in the plot is making things worse, because it has the overtone of "the only reason she's there is to make you happy. See? Happy?" No, not happy. It's too obvious. I am not against feminism, but I dislike over-the-top demonstrations of the phenomenon (Agan will now for sure beat me with a banana when we meet in the indefinite future ). I easily agree with the phrase "why are women worse then men?", but have you ever thought of the opposite - "why are men worse than women?"? Male elves aren't good enough for PJ&co, it seems. Even disregarding the first point, it's one thing to plop a new female character in. It's another thing to have that character take over the job/scenes that were originally meant for male characters - characters that are no worse than hers, may I add.

There could be strong female characters even if the Bechdal test is not satisfied (and by strong I mean both a strong character and a strong impression on the reader/viewer). The classic Love Story movie is an example. Jennifer is, to my memory, the only female character who even appears on screen for any considerable length, and she doesn't even do anything spectacular, yet she's a strong person in all the meanings of the word. Lately, though, in many cases women who are presented as "female Harry Potters", for lack of a better term - noble, brave, overcoming unfairness, fighting, etc - end up becoming rather weak-charactered Mary Sues. You don't need a bow in your hand to be a strong character. Giving a bow to a person who has a weak character and/or impression makes it look like one of the over-the-top demonstrations of feminism which quickly turn into something akin to REB.

My concluding thought: Either have a character who will leave the reader/viewer with a strong impression - a deep character, of any gender - or don't disgrace yourself with a shallow desperate fighter character of any gender.

And, by the way - even with Tauriel TH movie still doesn't pass the Bechdal test, so what's the argument about?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
One of my favourite books (in Russian) nearly meets your inverted Bechdal test. In the first chapter a military commander in charge of a rural area asks a higher-ranked commander for a troop of men who wouldn't get drunk every single night. And so the second man sends him a troop of women. The main idea of the story, though, is the opposite of what you would call feminist; actually, if you think about it, it has nothing to do with feminism or otherwise at all. The only male character reflects constantly on what a war could do - that these girls were not meant to carry rifles. It's bad enough that men kill each other; it is ten times worse that girls risk their lives.

Quote:
However, I do think there has been an overreaction to the mere fact of this character's being a girlie– which doesn’t, in itself, break the universe as far as I’m concerned. Neither does her bearing arms, in my opinion– of course it’s not the only way for a woman to be “strong”, but it’s a way, isn’t it? What I think matters anyway isn’t how closely a female character fits any given viewer’s or reader's ideal (feminist or otherwise) but how well-written and portrayed she is– and *that’s* where I fear it’s all going to come unstuck.

Hmmn. Seems I’ve got myself out on a limb here. Ah well.
Actually, I think you have a very valid point. I mean, as I said before, one of my most favourite books has fighter females. But if she's going to be portrayed as just a kick-butt fighter... You're entirely right. It's all about the writing and portrayal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
And this makes me think about the chief contrast between Idril and Lúthien--or is it their point of convergence?--namely that she does the complete opposite of her mother: where Melian guards against Morgoth, she goes on the attack. Not, obviously, in a military manner, but certainly in a proactive one.
Quote:
Melian at least protects her people her selfish daughter sits in a tree until it is in her own interest to get of her backside. Her proactivity is merely to satisfy her own desires and gets Felagund killed. I despise her and we hates her forever! Precioussesss
I have to say that Luthien is not one of my favourites, but I have to disagree slightly with this. Yes, she does not fight Morgoth because it is right to fight him, she does it to get Beren. But I wouldn't really blame her for sitting safe and snug and happy in Doriath while others are fighting. With the same effect one could quote Boromir on indirectly accusing the hobbits and other western folk of sitting idle while Gondor's forces are being exhausted. Aragorn's rebuttal to that is that the whole reason for the fighting is to ensure that somewhere folk can live in peace and be happy. So the whole point of a "safe Doriath" is so that within the Girdle people could live in peace and sing and dance all they want.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #37
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
....this under the influence of hair-straightener?

*Only kidding, Ms. Lilly.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #38
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
My gosh, that's amazing! It's a shame I can't rep you for this.

And here's the picture again since the original link isn't working:

The longer I look at it, the more inspiring Mith's words become. Someone smack me on the head. Now.

Edit: xed with Zil. That's a good one!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #39
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have now got Robin Hood riding through the glen as a ear worm. But she looks like the principal boy in a Vulcan pantomime. For those not familiar with the tradition the juvenile male lead is traditionally played b a woman and the lead older female role , the Dame, by a man

It is bit sad if production values have sunk so low. Gil.galad was on screen for abou three seconds and his costume was gorgeous. ztauriel is being given a starring role and she looks like .well THAT...

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-08-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
She looks like Brave's Merida and Katniss Everdeen had a Vulcan baby.

Quote:
My concluding thought: Either have a character who will leave the reader/viewer with a strong impression - a deep character, of any gender - or don't disgrace yourself with a shallow desperate fighter character of any gender.
I agree. The Hobbit has a lot of dwarves to keep track of as it is. And from watching the first movie none of them really left an impression. Some of the acting was excellent, but mostly everything was just meh. I doubt see Tauriel bringing much to the game aside from being a red haired female Legolas, but I'll decide upon watching the movie.

I've seen a lot of female characters thrown into books, video games, and films/TV just to have one because one was previously lacking. They tend to be cold, skilled fighters, and just in need of a hug. If this elf-lady addition falls into that and serves the purpose of just being female then she's better left out.