The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2002, 09:40 PM   #1
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Whats the shortest time youve taken to read Lotr

Mine is three weeks. I was bored and homework was lacking. I was amazed that I could read it that fast.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:15 PM   #2
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am sure it was the first time I read it. I was so young! I stayed in my room everyday and read, read, read. I believe it took me a month. Now I take much longer, savouring each word, and researching each little bit that I cannot remember. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 03:24 AM   #3
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I first read The Lord of the Rings in the Christmas holidays, and was completely immersed in it, doing nothing but reading the book. I finished it in a week and started reading it again [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It was most definetly the most engrossing book I had ever read [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith Number Two ]
Ringwraith Number Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 08:50 AM   #4
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

it takes me a couple of hours to read the hobbit but LOTR is not something to be rushed!!
Old 09-08-2002, 08:53 AM   #5
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
I dunno. Sometimes I'm a really fast reader and sometimes I'm so slow it takes me a day to finish one page. (okay, that was exaggerating a little)
Old 09-08-2002, 10:19 AM   #6
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, when I have summer holiday (or weekend) and decide to spend a few days indoors reading, then it usually takes over a day or two to read the trilogy (I am a fast reader). The Silmarillion takes a few days (the English one, that is.) The Hobbit takes a few hours, but then the language is "easier".
I am currently reading the trilogy for the 8th time, second time this year. And then I´ll read The Silmarillion in English again. Lovely! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 11:56 AM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

The first time it took me about 2 1/2 weeks to get through LOTR. I may have gone slower though if I wasn't challenging my friend who was reading it at the exact same time [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 12:24 PM   #8
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm a really slow reader sometimes, and I took a really long time to finish FotR (like a month or something). I finished TTT in a week (it would've taken my longer but I was racing my friend to see who could get it done first) and I read RotK in five days (only because another friend challenged me to read it all before the end of Spring Break, and I remembered about the bet when there was only 5 days left).
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 12:30 PM   #9
Arie
Animated Skeleton

Arie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

...well I can probably finish the Trilogy in less than a month-if I'm really that bored...
Old 09-08-2002, 01:53 PM   #10
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am going to read the books for the second time now, i don't think the books should be read so fast because you just can't understand the complete picture of the books if you read it to fast.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:58 PM   #11
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

The first time i read the series inc The Hobbit it took me about 3 weeks but the secong it took me a week. The Hobbit i can read in a day easily....
Old 09-08-2002, 08:44 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For the whole "triligy", less then a week, 5 or 6 days, I forget. But all I did for that time was read and practice the piano, eat, and a little sleep. The hobbit, 3 hours. Other books took longer. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 09:22 PM   #13
Hanna_Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Hanna_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hanna_Gamgee Send a message via Yahoo to Hanna_Gamgee
Pipe

The first time I read the trilogy it took me abot 4 or 5 days to read it.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:36 PM   #14
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I can read one Book a day, so the 3 books take me 3 days.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:44 PM   #15
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I got all of the LOTR books individually. It took me about a month for the first, about a month for the second, and a day and a half for the third. So, about 2 months and 2 days.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:17 PM   #16
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mwahaha I beat you all! The first time I read LOTR i read it in less then 12 hours! Closer to 9 actually. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2002, 05:59 PM   #17
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

That's not reading. That's called "flipping the pages".
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:01 PM   #18
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I was not!
Old 09-09-2002, 06:02 PM   #19
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

That is, flipping the pages. I WAS reading! Is it my fault that I'm a fast reader?
Old 09-09-2002, 06:04 PM   #20
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Sting

See those little icons on top of your posts? The one on the far right is for editing. Perhaps you "read" things here at the site too quickly and missed that little tidbit, but it's a valuable tool and saves you from needless double-posting.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Mister Underhill ]
Old 09-09-2002, 08:18 PM   #21
LaurinaAinur
Pile O'Bones

LaurinaAinur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LaurinaAinur
Pipe

I am a very fast reader, so I took about two hours per book...maybe a bit less for TTT. I read an average of 15 books per week.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:20 PM   #22
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I am a very fast reader, so I took about two hours per book...maybe a bit less for TTT. I read an average of 15 books per week.
Reading books the fastest is ok but do you enjoy the book as much as if you let the details seep in.
I can read a book in a day, that’s without interruptions but then I have also read the books over 100x in the last 15 yrs. Why rush a good book? Take your time and enjoy all the details. with me a book will always win over TV.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 09-10-2002, 09:40 AM   #23
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Silmaril

It took me about 5 1/2 hours for my shortest reading, including all 4 books, but I have to admit, now I try and read it slower so I get more out of it. I think I might have all of you beat though! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Armadoin ]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:18 AM   #24
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Sting

If you read even just the three books of LotR in five and half hours, you'd be "reading" over thirty words per second. Throw in The Hobbit, and it jumps up to around thirty-five words per second. Of course, those numbers jump way up if you take time out to, oh, say, go to the bathroom or get a bite to eat or glance up from the page for a few seconds.

I can only say again, that ain't reading. Skimming maybe, but not reading.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Mister Underhill ]
Old 09-10-2002, 01:31 PM   #25
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Tolkien

Well, I never said you had to believe me, so you can say what you will.No hard feelings. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:41 PM   #26
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Well my Record for the Hobbit is 2 hours but my record for the lord of the rings is about 15 hours of straight reading but i normally take around a month because of all the research and going over each little thing about ten times yada yada yada
*sigh* i feel sorry for my copy... its 9 months old now and its got no cover, introduction or authors note because they fell of with all the reading...and im not joking!!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:50 PM   #27
LaurinaAinur
Pile O'Bones

LaurinaAinur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LaurinaAinur
Sting

Most of the books that I read like that are new...ones that I have never heard of before and that I want to know what they are about and have a basic knowlege about them without having to being able to quote half of it. Then, if I like the book enough, I will re-read it a bit more slowly, savoring it, you might say. There is to me no reason to spend 2 weeks on a book, only to find out at the end you didn't really like it. But believe me, speed reading works. It might not all be committed to memory, but you know what you need to know. Anyway! This may be a bit off the original subject...ooops! Sorry!
Old 09-17-2002, 11:51 AM   #28
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My record is two days... and the encluding nights [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] .I´d started several times by then, but never come past the prologe. Over Chrismas I decided "This time you´re gonna read that book!" And, as soon as I plunged into the story, I couldn´t stop! My family was really annoyed ´cause I was only reading the whole time... it was x-mas after all. So, on the first night I read till 6 am, slept untill ten, had finished TTT by 2 AM next morning and fell asleep over RotK, wich I finished next day... and I actually got the whole thing! When I read the second time it took me about a week, and that´s about my average.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:44 AM   #29
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

the first time = a week for the whole trilogy. staying up at night and all.(I was on holiday)
I was in a rush to finish because I had borrowed from a friend who wanted it back before I went back to university.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:56 AM   #30
Ar-drenal

The Eye

I read the dutch version for the first time when I was about 12. It took me about 4 weeks to read. The english version I read when I was 16 and then it took me about 3 weeks. If I would reread it now (I'm 25), it would probably take me a week (but that's only because I know the book now and my english improved a lot over the years).
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The first time I've read LOTR it took me about a month - would you expect anything better of a 9-year-old? When I reread it the summer before last, it took me 1 week. I've just reread it recently again, but I have a lot of homework and other commitements, so it took me 3 weeks. It's probably not the work that slowed me down, though, but savouring every word (like others said before me ).
Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #32
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
A week tops for each book (minus the Sil), give or take. That's usually how long it takes me for any lengthy novel, BUT that's if I don't read during the nights, add that in and it's usually a little less than a week.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #33
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If I read during the nights I can read LOTR in 5 days. 7 if I read only during the day. Unless I have lots of schoolwork.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #34
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
It's never particularly taken me a 'short' time. I don't read slowly, but I never read for more than an hour and a half at a time. I can juggle five books at a time, but I can never sit there for eight hours and read
So...considering all that it usually takes me a month to read it
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #35
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
The first time I've read LOTR it took me about a month - would you expect anything better of a 9-year-old?
You're making me feel very bad, friend...
Old 12-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #36
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sorry for that... didn't mean to...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #37
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Sorry for that... didn't mean to...
Relax, I was joking
Old 12-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #38
Khazad-dûm
Pile O'Bones

Khazad-dûm has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I've only read It once all the way threw so far (I'm in the process of reading it again after I just finished a month ago). It takes me about a month to read each book. I like to read carefully and look up peoples names that pop up so that I understand better. Also I like to re-read chapters like the bridge of Khazad-dûm ( It's my favorite if you couldnt tell by my username).
Khazad-dûm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #39
Almesiva Moonshadow
Animated Skeleton

Almesiva Moonshadow has just left Hobbiton.
Since I am a very slow reader, it took me nearly a month to read the Fellowship...
...yep...an entire month!!!...

...in truth,I was only lazy to read any faster...

Last edited by Almesiva Moonshadow; 12-14-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Almesiva Moonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #40
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Five days, the first time I read it. The next couple of times that I've actually read LotR through from the Fellowship to the Return of the King it took me a while longer, since I actually had things like homework to do. Also, laziness takes over, even with Tolkien. I still have yet to finish the Return of the Shadow despite the fact that I started it four months ago.