The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree **The Return of the King Extended Edition**

Yep! It's been released in New Zealand already. So what do you think? What could be improved? What doesn't work? What is awesome?

I'll post my own when I can convince my Mum to hand it over.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
I think the EE for RotK was both better and worse than the EE for TTT and FotR. Better, because it had more exciting scenes that people actually wanted to see. FotR didn't really have an outstanding extended scene. Galadriel's gifts, Gilraen's memorial, etc were all great, but nothing that really excites the viewer. Same with TTT. But RotK had scenes like the Voice of Saruman, Witch King vs. Gandalf, Corsairs of Umbar, etc. It had more new action-packed scenes than the first two.

However, the actual scenes themselves seem to flow more naturally for the first two. At least, it did for me. Gandalf and co. are just talking, and Saruman just pops up from the top of his tower talking to Theoden. I've already said elsewhere that it'd be impossible for them to hear Saruman (and vice versa) at that distance. They even whisper to each other and nobody seems to have any hearing difficulties. Also, you don't really see Theoden considering Saruman's offer, since he answers "no" immediately after Saruman finishes asking. I also disliked Saruman's fireball, but other than these, it was a great scene.

Gandalf vs. Witch King scene: I think it doesn't flow very naturally. Gandalf gets Pippin, starts running up, and a few seconds later the heroic music fades out and the WK appears. Then Gandalf also immediately starts saying "Go back to the abyss...". It just sounds like he's reciting it, IMO.
And I don't know...Gandalf just seemed so helpless against the Witch King. I was hoping for something more. I still hold firmly to the belief that Gandalf is more powerful than the WK, but even if PJ wants the Wiki to win, he could have had a better fight. The Witch King just raises his sword, and Gandalf's staff suddenly shatters into a hundred pieces. Sort of ironic, seeing how he broke Saruman's staff in the same way earlier on in the movie. I think that they should have had an actual fight if that's what PJ wanted, sort of like against the Balrog. The current way isn't action-packed enough to satisfy the action lovers, nor is it Tolkien enough to satisfy the purists.
Then Gandalf is lying on the ground, and as soon as the WK is about to kill him, the Rohirrim come. The thing I can't understand is, why doesn't he just stab Gandalf before leaving? He's obviously helpless on the ground. It would take no more than an additional 10 seconds.

I think I liked the other additions however. Overall, I'd give the EE an 8, in comparison to how it COULD have been.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
So what do you think?
Well...I think I will appreciate it even more then the regular ROTK movie. Since it adds in some of my favorite scenes, the Houses of Healing and Saruman's famous voice.

Quote:
What could be improved?
I had a hope that Imrahil and Beregond would be in the movies, but I very much doubt that. I would have also liked to have seen the Dunedain. I think Imrahil and Beregond bring two different faces to Gondor that we did not see in the movies. The splendour and strength of the knights of Dol Amroth, then the compassion from Beregond. But oh well, can't get everything .

Quote:
What doesn't work?
Aragorn decapitatin all these people (Orc in Moria, Lurtz, and then he decapitates Gothmog). I've also heard he fight, and kills, the Mouth of Sauron, I hope that isn't so. What also doesn't work, and this really isn't about the EE...but....the fact that a man mentioned in one line (Gothmog) has more screen time then the feared general Witch-King, I find that sad.

Quote:
What is awesome?
What I listed up at the top. The fact that they will have Saruman's end and Saruman's voice (one of my favorite chapters), and they will show why the heck Eowyn and Faramir are together at the end.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Aragorn decapitatin all these people (Orc in Moria, Lurtz, and then he decapitates Gothmog). I've also heard he fight, and kills, the Mouth of Sauron, I hope that isn't so.
Guess what? He decapitates the Mouth of Sauron too. The Mouth of Sauron is taunting him, when Aragorn slowly comes near him. Then he suddenly takes out his sword and slashes his head off. Not my favorite idea either, actually...they don't even fight. Aragorn just beheads him while he's in the middle of a sentence.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:32 AM   #5
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

I had to watch it last night, had to...but my late night has paid off for I was afraid of spoilers! Might I respectfully and nicely ask that anyone posts the word 'spoiler' at the top of their message if they are going to 'reveal' any surprises?

Have to say though, I was very pleased with Saruman's scenes (how could I not be, it was Chris Lee for goodnes sake ), and just wait 'til you see the extended Paths of the Dead ... now I have all those documentaries to watch and I'm hoping there will be something about Tolkien on there.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:54 AM   #6
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

And I love the Houses of Healing. Faramir looks so sweet and Eomer hanging around Eowyn is too cute for words. By far my favourite scene.

Aragorn showing Sauron Anduril looks kind of cheesy. You know, Hi there! You've been hunting me for ages, how are you. Oh, BTW I have a new sword. You like?
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote