The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
flyers82

Sting Evil Elves?

No doubt a foolish question, but can elves be evil or malicious (without Sauron corrupting them)? Also, where's the legend for the posting icons?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe there was an evil elf or two, but I don't know the details.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

It's not necessarily that the Elves are evil, they are just not all that nice. Evil is the complete lack of any iota of good. But you get some Elves like Eol... makes you wonder.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I would disagree that Eol was all bad, if indeed you were implying such. He does seem to love Aredhel in his way; at least, she was almost happy with him until Maeglin started to grow up and she told him stories of her family and he suggested that they go to them.

Maeglin, on the other hand, I think could be called evil. Maybe. He did l.ust after his cousin (apparently akin to lus.ting one's sister to the elves) and his heart turned dark when she didn't return his love. And he wasn't exactly a filial son, either. Standing there watching his father get thrown off a cliff...

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #5
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Sting

I think part of the problem with Maeglin was isolation. I mean, he spent the whole first part of his life with no other elf contact except his mother and father. He couldn't really relate to people.
Kind of playing devil's advocate here, but all in all, Maeglin was probably the closest thing to a truly evil elf.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:27 AM   #6
Luinadar
Pile O'Bones

Luinadar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always found Saeros's behaviour towards Turin in Doriath pretty contemptable if not actually evil in places, I mean he did actually try and run a sword through him in a sneak attack!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:06 AM   #7
Fyara
Pile O'Bones

Fyara has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Fyara Send a message via AIM to Fyara
Sting

mine elvish name is maeglin? does that mean im evil [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 01:21 PM   #8
flyers82

Sting

Thanks for the responses! Although I still don't know what any of these little symbols on the side mean - the sword, the pint? Is there a key somewhere, because I can't find it.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Hi, flyers, and welcome to the Downs! There is no *official* list of meanings for the icons, but for an interesting discussion of people's ideas on them, please check out this topic: Icons. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #10
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were no Elves that were irreedemably evil, as far as I know. Even Elves who lived or occassionally acted immorally (Eol, Maeglin, Feanor, Celegorm, Curufin, etc.) could, I am sure, be absolved in the afterlife in the Halls of Mandos.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:57 PM   #11
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

in my opinion Feanor, or Meaglin would be the closest things there could be to an "evil" elf.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Feanor and all his sons were jerks except that one whose name I always forget. Anyway Thingol was no saint either even if he was with the good guys. If I was going to pick anyone to play Thingol if they made the Sil into a movie it would be Jason Isaacs. (Lucius from Harry Potter and Col. Tavington from The Patriot) Isaacs is great at playing characters you want to strangle and I wanted choke Thingol quite a few times.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #13
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Quote:
If I was going to pick anyone to play Thingol if they made the Sil into a movie it would be Jason Isaacs. (Lucius from Harry Potter and Col. Tavington from The Patriot) Isaacs is great at playing characters you want to strangle and I wanted choke Thingol quite a few times.
Great idea, Silmiel! He would be perfect!!! I certainly wanted to strangle Tavington, so if Isaacs played Thingol the same way, that could be really good!! Just thought I'd mention that!
Even though I don't think Thingol is actually evil, I still don't like him.
Arwen
Old 10-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #14
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think that any of the Elves were truly evil (although Maeglin got pretty damn close!), they just didn't adjust to their surroundings. Almost all of the Noldor that emigrated to Beleriand are characterized as arrogant, haughty, overbearing, etc. Why, you ask? In Valinor, they were at the lowest rungs of the hierarchy, whereas in Beleriand, and in all of Middle-earth, they were the superior race, the Elder Children, the teachers, and the mentors. They enjoyed that newfound power, and power is very hard not to abuse.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:38 AM   #15
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
No doubt a foolish question, but can elves be evil or malicious (without Sauron corrupting them)?
I'd have to say no for the ones we have specific histories of; the most common examples of Maeglin and Fëanor were explicitly corrupted and their weaknesses taken advantage of by Morgoth and/or his minions. Even those who were twisted in the dungeons of Morgoth over long periods were never by innate nature evil, just tortured beyond endurance.

Interesting idea to have Jason Isaacs play Thingol, Silmiel! I actually had in mind casting W.C. Fields as Thingol (impossible of course, because he's long dead!), because the theme of sending the young man to retrieve great wealth in exchange for his daughter seems to fit a lot of Fields' movies! This is, of course, a spoof I am considering. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And, Finwe, as for the Elves' arrogance concerning their relation to the Younger Children of Eru, I'd call it more a weakness and blindness than evil, the example of Thingol being most prominent here. I prefer the more benevolent image of Finrod going among Men and forging a relationship with them through song, and going on to finally sacrifice his life for Beren in the dungeons of Morgoth. I suppose some elves understood or at least intuited Eru's purpose and some did not and lived by their own plan, some falling into evil by so doing.

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #16
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

I think Maeglin was the only evil elf,and he is more mad than evil.Feanor and his sons were all hot-headed,not evil,and that's why they did all they did.And in the end,they all feel sorry,especially Maedhros.
Amrod the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

It is very clear that Elves can be malicious.

As for evil, there are numerous discussions on the nature of evil in Tolkien's legendarium on the Barrowdowns (some of which are quite hard to sift through) so it's worth a look in those. I can't link to one but just key in 'evil' in the search and I'm sure you'll find something useful.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #18
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

I don't think any of the Elves were ever truly "evil." Some were misled, corrupted, arrogant or driven to madness, but evil? No. Malicious? Occasionally. Fëanor abandoning the rest of the Noldor and burning the Telerin ships at Losgar was certainly malicious, as was Eöl's attempt to slay Maeglin (well, that might be considered more selfish than malicious...) and Celegorm and Curufin's plan to usurp the throne of Nargothrond. Maeglin's actions, too, were malicious, even before Morgoth offered him Idril for Gondolin (remember how he always spoke against the councils of Tuor?).

So the short answer is: No, I don't think any of them were evil, but they could be malicious.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 AM   #19
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Still elves they were and remain, and that is Good People.
Nothing conclusive, but...
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote