The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question Anyone obsessed out there?

I admit I'm obsessed. Whenever I see a comercial/trailer for anything LOTR, I scream. At dinner, I discuss whether STARWARS (my brother's favorite movie) copied from it. I'm waiting till the FanFic is opened so I can post my story. I even was thinking about building a shrine to Legolas!

Anyone else feel this way?
Old 12-07-2002, 10:32 AM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Heh...I once worshiped Eru and prayed to the Valar....then I realized that I'm an athiest. Oh well. I still want to buy Glamdring from the Noble Collection and live in the mountains of New Zealand.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:35 AM   #3
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I forgot to mention I praise Eru too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2002, 11:41 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I think I'm pretty obsessed at the moment. Besides adoring the books and the movies I do all the usual fan-person things: my walls are plastered in Lotr posters, I buy all the magazines with Lotr articles, more than one copy if the images are good enough to go on the wall.
I'm currently splashing out on Lotr action figures and other merchandise such as Rings and Swords, as well as a super tee-shirt.
I do a lot of little actions, like humming the soundtrack while I'm out walking, re-enacting short scenes from the movies when I come across a situation that's similar to a moment from Lotr.

Last edited by Meela; 11-26-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:53 PM   #5
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I already thought of this idea. Here's the link to my old topic: What obsessive things do YOU do?
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:32 PM   #6
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
every time i walk down a flight of stairs i think of moria, and i always try and cross some sort of "bridge of khazad-dum" at the end.
Meela is cool...you blew me away with that one...definitely cool. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Until very recently I worked at insurance adjusting (very high-stress, need I say?). Whenever I ran into a hard case, which was frequent, where someone was claiming umpteen thousand dollars' worth of goods with no proof of any variety (boxes, receipts, photographs, ANYTHING) we always had to do a very indepth investigation; taking statements, getting a car inspected for signs of equipment etc...anyway, whenever a situation like this arose I inevitably thought "I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly...but you have elected the WAY - OF - PAIN!!!" No, I'm not a sadist, because believe me, the way of pain for them was also the way of pain for me. Argh.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:34 AM   #8
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've practically brought up on LOTR and I think about it CONSTANTLY! Whenever I see a LOTR commercial or anything I jump around screaming for at least half an hour after it was on. I've read the books about 6 times and can't count how many times I've seen FOTR! I love LOTR, just can't get enough of it!
Old 12-08-2002, 02:44 AM   #9
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

I recently read Middlemarch. Each of the chapters has an epigram written at the beginning. When I came across one (to Chapter 49) that read

Quote:
A task too strong for wizard spells
This squire had brought about;
'Tis easy dropping stones in wells,
But who shall get them out?
I had to put down the book and laugh hysterically. The fact that I made this connection, in spite of being in the midst of the story, speaks volumes about how much time I spend thinking of LotR, I suppose. It's applied to a character who has absolutely nothing in common with Pippin, as it happens, and "wizard" clearly just means "magic," but still... a chance meeting, as they say in Middle-March, I suppose.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 02:51 AM   #10
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
The Eye

I am so obsessed! I have a LotR shrine in my room that consists of my posters, the movie, video game, action figures, books, book marks, "the one Ring", and some other things. So, yeah I guess you could say I was obsessed [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:24 AM   #11
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

i'm pretty obsessed..at least the movie that came out last year sort of put a fire in myself and I just started going nuts..I think it if is something that is just so in your heart, that its going to come out in everything that you do
Old 12-08-2002, 09:14 AM   #12
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Question

I'm not alone! I'm soo happy! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way, Meela can you give me your top ten websites? Thanks. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Cherie Centaur ]
Old 12-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #13
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmmm, this topic confirms my wife's worse suspicions.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:30 AM   #14
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Obsessed is such a sterio-tipical way of saying it. I prefer 'Scoicl life-impaired'.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:13 PM   #15
Tyler
Animated Skeleton

Tyler has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Sting

Not to be mean but it seems to me that some of the people who are "obsessed" with LOTR are really odsessed with the actors of the movie. LOTR is my fav. book and it is what got me into reading but I think some people take it a bit to far. Books are wonderful thing but there are more things to life such as music,friends,and having fun. I think these people need to be posting some of their replys in the movie section. Come on do you really like Legolas that much to cut his picture (which is an actor) out more than one time. I will say he is my fav. character and not do to the movie. It is due to his character. Well im sure i dident make to much since but if you want tell me what you think.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:17 PM   #16
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Man, who took his One Ring to rule them all? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 12:27 PM   #17
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Question

For your info I like Legolas before the movie and I also believe that they didn't include enough of him(and I am NOT talking about Orlando, I'm talking about the character Tolkien wrote) in the movie. So there [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] !!!
Old 12-08-2002, 12:39 PM   #18
Maylin Talese
Pile O'Bones

Maylin Talese has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ok, i find it a bit disturbing that people worship Eru and Valar.....

Whenever someone i'm mad at tries towalk through the door, i always think about shoutinh, YOU CANNOT PASS!!! The only reason I ever watch TV is to see TTT commercials, though i don;t like tv.
Maylin Talese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:34 PM   #19
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

yea..that is kind of disturbing..I don't like worship middle-earth or anything..I guess it's more like a hobby
Old 12-08-2002, 01:34 PM   #20
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Wild (I just love solar powered computers, don't you?
Artanis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I don't pray to the Valar, but insted of saying "Oh my God!!!*spaz*" I say "By the Valar/For Illuvitar's sake!!!!*spaz*"... plus the shrine around my comp, a LOTR background (Aragorn Rules!) a wish for a sword to name Ancgauear (the fang of the wolf) and the strange compulsion to say mellon whenever I open a door... I'm not obsessed!
Old 12-08-2002, 02:07 PM   #21
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, listen to this. I am obsessed. I can't help it. I'm alot like you people. But how hard is it for me to be obsessed when I have a sis who hates LOTR?

The other day I was asking my mom if I could stop by this store to get some fake Elf ears. She and my sis kept saying "they aren't going to have any. Halloween's over". But I said well, the movie's coming out so they might cause people dress up to go.

My sis starts cracking up laughing like she has just turned insane or something. She was acting like an idiot! I ask her why she is laughing so hard, and she says it's because she can immagine people dressing up as Hobbits and Elves to go to this movie. A quote by her "I can see you and 3 of your friends dressing up as the four Hobbits and walking into the theater! Haaaa!!!"

Ugh. I hate her. But yes, I would. And I am very obsessed. And I am proud of it.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:50 PM   #22
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Question

Well, I don't pray to Eru, but I replace the name for God. For example, I have said the pledge of Aligience with Eru in its context. Eru is supposedly God so it's okay, right?