The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #161
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for the link, and most of all, for letting us hear the results of your live reading! It was very enjoyable, what with the accents, wolves, and all. I'm reminded of the live chat readings we did several years ago - one of the highlights of my Downs experience! Two posh Brit accents doing the two wizards and a wonderful Gollum - great stuff! Participants from several countries on two continents were united by the magic of the internet.

Right now, I don't have time for anything else than my current Tolkien project, so I can't join in. But I look forward to hearing more as your project proceeds...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #162
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So if you Matthew and Gwath could still look around for possibilites of fex. lending a mike from school / friend / friend's friend or something? Others I think have no problem.
I'll work on it.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #163
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If and when this is going to take some time we should also start to think about the sound effects and possible music stuff as well?

I do not think we will be such wizards that we could get any chapter fully composed but we might go for some interludes - or if the narration in the storyline calls for music then why not try to add some background music then? Someone said s/he would be happy to do some. After we decide on the chapter let's hear from you (McCaber that was?). I could also do some if needed. And anyone having ideas do then come forwards!

Making of sound effects has been something I have loved from very early on. I remember we made a kind of "Radio dramas" with my little sister back in the late seventies / early eighties (when I was ten+!) and I was already then most interested in trying to find the way to make the sounds even if the equipment at that time were quite primitive (we had a Tandberg reel-to-reel and a C-cassette radiorecorder back then and we recorded the effects on one, then played it and acted on it recording on the other one).

But if we'll really decide to go on with this project I'd have one more reason to invest some money to a decent digital audio recorder with which I could start experimenting with different sound effects (I've dreamt about it for a long time! Now I might have a reason to invest in it!). During the summer we could go to our summer cottage where the noises of the city would not interfere and we might record stuff like basic walking of a group in ME envirovenments, the howl of the wind, shooting of arrows, any watery noises (our cottage is by a lake) or whatever we need. And surely that would make us try the limits of our creativity at home! I mean the opening of the doors of Moria were not bad in our latest...

If we can avoid using the sfx cd's the better. The more we do ourselves the better. The more people are involved the better.

So thoughts on the chapter we should go for?

So thoughts on who sholud then play whom?

So thoughts on if we need music there and who should try making it?

So thoughts in possible sound effects we'd need in that chapter?

And if someone's thinking it: this is no closed society! Everyone is welcome whatever s/he can bring to this effort! Remember this is not dead serious! But surely we do our best...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #164
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
How about The Ring Goes South or A Journey in the Dark, like you have recorded? Or maybe Farewell to Lorien?

Great job Downers on A Journey in the Dark! Really awesome to see this coming together!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #165
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
My vote goes to "The Ring Goes South." There is a great deal of dialogue in that particular chapter.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #166
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Has anybody counted how many actors we have? That might affect the choice...

And as no one seems to be willing to guess, I'm going to reveal the cast of our audio clip before it's totally forgotten.

Nogrod is Gandalf.

Brinn is the narrator and Sam.

Aganzir is Frodo.

Volo is Gimli and Pippin.

A Little Green is Legolas and Merry.

I'm Boromir and Bill the Pony.

And by the way, you can't understand the brilliance of Greenie's performance unless you've heard Swedish.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #167
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Has anybody counted how many actors we have? That might affect the choice...
Well there's me, Nogrod, you, Gwath, Legate, Rikae (I think), Mac (I think), Brinn, Aganzir, Volo, A Little Green, and the KA(I think)? Am I missing anybody? If so I apologize.

With a cast this large, we could easily have each actor play one character. In "Farewell to Lorien" (I have to read through it again) but I think the whole Fellowship has lines along with Celeborn, Galadriel, and Haldir. But I am not completely sure if that's correct. I would like "The Ring Goes South", but let's see how many definite actors we have first, so we can include everybody.

As far as the casting goes, I would like to Boromir, as has been said. Does anybody else have a preference for who they play?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #168
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So... who wants to play what role. Who thinks who has a fitting voice for which role?

Matthew: Boromir
Nogrod: I would prefer him to play Gimli over Gandalf, because I missed some of Gandalf's grouchiness.
Legate: I rather liked his Aragorn.

Nogrod told me I would fit Legolas.

What do we do with our actresses? I love A Little Green's Gollum and Brinn's Sam. I wonder why nobody yet gave a sample of Galadriel or Éowyn.

(Matt, you missed Odd- and Nerwen )

Which chapter to do.... I would be for The Ring goes South or A Journey in the Dark - exciting chapters, lot's of dialogue. The Council of Elrond would be nice, but would probably require too many different voices for now. Lothlórien would also be interesting. If we had a really good Frodo, we could pick The Breaking of the Fellowship: His dialogue with Boromir is, in my opinion, one of the best dialogues of the whole LotR.

I'd also like to add my name on the list of people to applaud Nogrod and his crew for their amazing sound effects.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #169
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Matthew: Boromir
Nogrod: I would prefer him to play Gimli over Gandalf, because I missed some of Gandalf's grouchiness.
Legate: I rather liked his Aragorn.

Sounds great to me! I too really, really like Nogrod's Gimli, but whoever he wants to play is fine with me.

Quote:
What do we do with our actresses? I love A Little Green's Gollum and Brinn's Sam.
Yeah, the female voices sounded good with hobbits, and I'm sure they could do great Elves too. Also the narrator could be female, like in the clip Brinn does.

Oh, and I sincerely apologize for leaving anybody out in my list of participants!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #170
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Then again the roles of the elves should probably go for the ladies in the end if we look at the gender-ratio here. As goes to the roles of the hobbits as well (even if you made just a wonderful Frodo!)

If we'd have a chapter with baddies Mac should definitively be one. His Grima is just a celebration of acting!

I've sent the clips of Gwath and Mac to my xanga-account. Check them here.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #171
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Mac is a convincing baddie indeed: I love his Gríma! Gwath has a nice voice which could serve almost any role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
I wonder why nobody yet gave a sample of Galadriel or Éowyn.
We are too modest (or then we just don't have fitting voices).
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #172
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Then again the roles of the elves should probably go for the ladies in the end if we look at the gender-ratio here. As goes to the roles of the hobbits as well (even if you made just a wonderful Frodo!)
I agree, but I also hope it won't make the hobbits appear too young and the elves too feminine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
If we'd have a chapter with baddies Mac should definitively be one. His Grima is just a celebration of acting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Mac is a convincing baddie indeed: I love his Gríma!
Thanks a lot!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #173
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Nogrod: Gimli (and/or Gandalf?)
Macalaure: ...somebody BAD...
MatthewM: Boromir
I'll need to listen to the Journey in the Dark clip again to decide regarding the others.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #174
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Macalaure would be a good Legolas.

I think it might be wise to make the narrator a female voice, given the ratio of female actors to female parts.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #175
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
So, The Ring Goes South or A Journey in the Dark to start out with? Sounds good to me.

I'll start trying to hammer out some music. Is Rikae going to help with this, or should I do it by myself?
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #176
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice clips from Gwath and Mac! I do agree that we need to give the females some Elf parts and hobbit parts, but I think at least Frodo should be played by a male, separating him as older than the other three hobbits. I like Mac's Grisknak, and I like Gwath's Aragorn.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #177
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Nice. I actually quite like Gwath's Aragorn. And I also think Macgolas may be nice (if we choose not to leave the Elves for the female part of actors). Only, is it possible to get a better quality of the recording? Such thing would be probably good.

Concerning the chapter, I already said before that The Ring Goes South or Journey in the Dark would be a good choice in my opinion (especially now after I just re-read Ring Goes South, I find it a quite good chapter to pick - only there are large narrator-bits, but what can we do. These are everywhere). And concerning my role, I don't care much, as I said, I picked Aragorn to show the "middle" position of my voice acting, I can eventually go into extremes (no, not meaning just these hobbits you heard). So whatever you think would suit me and/or mainly what role would be needed to fill.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #178
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
I wonder why nobody yet gave a sample of Galadriel or Éowyn.
You know my microphone hasn't been working lately.

I just wanted to add my vote for, at the very least, the following:
MatthewM as Boromir
Nogrod as Gimli
Macalaure as Legolas
Also, somebody did a great Gollum, but I can't remember at the moment who it was (and I'm away from my own computer, so I can't find out right now.)

I'll have to listen to the clips again before giving more opinions, but those are the ones that definately stuck out in my mind so far.

McCaber - sounds great! You go ahead (I just wanted music, I don't really have the equipment on hand to create it.)
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #179
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
I'll start trying to hammer out some music. Is Rikae going to help with this, or should I do it by myself?
If you wish to have a partner in this I could try to help you out if I have time. So if you wish to have some live basslines or guitars (acoustic or electric) - or possibly choirs - I could give you a hand. Or if you need help arranging some of the stuff I'd be happy to help as that is a thing I love myself (I'm no composer but I may have some talent in arranging music).

I'll continue this is an PM so as not to burden this thread with technicalities.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #180
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Any more updates here?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #181
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okey-dokey.

I've made the first experiment with the music as a kind of an idea of a basic chord-procession for the journey from Rivendell through Eregion came to my mind.

The clip starts with the narration when the fellowship leaves Rivendell. It is said there "there was no laughter, no song or music..." But after the depiction goes a little forwards the music creeps in.

The main idea in the music is to bring together a bit sorrowful chord-procession by an acoustic guitar (the empty land that once was great but still is not devoid of beauty) and a darker synthetizer line (bringing forwards the unknown threat).

I have a couple of ideas how to bring in some variations to the main theme while the scene continues. I also have some ideas how to add some voices to sing an aaaa-aaaa -thing or a distortion electric guitar wailing quietly at the background at some other places.

There are two things in the clip:
1. The narration fitted with music (about 1.45)
2. The music by itself so that you could get a better picture what it is goinbg on there in the background. (a bit shorter)

You will find it from here.

Comments, further ideas?

What I did realise was that making the music to a whole chapter will not be a small feat indeed!

So don't be afraid McCaber, I'm not wishing to rob this part of the project from you. This idea just came to my mind and I wished to give it a try - and I kind of like it enough to wish to share it. If we will actually get a full chapter done there will be more than enough stuff to compose... And if you have better ideas for this part (if we're going to record this part in the first place) just let me know. No problem. It was fun doing this anyway.

PS. If you have earphones use them! The slowly growing music will sound much better with phones...

Last edited by Nogrod; 04-25-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #182
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Wow, that music really gives just the right mood, I think. Nice work!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #183
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
At least for myself - quite nice, Nog! I am not going to meddle into this music arrangement and other stuff, but I won't have any objections if this were to play there. Other comments? From the beginning, it sounds like Pink Floyd's Sorrow (of course, because there's the synthetiser and nothing else ), or overall it sounds like the music from Diablo Or am I to offer responsible criticism? Maybe I would expect... "softer" thing. This is way too... dark? ... "raw"... but as I said, I'd accept that there, and overall I don't care whether there's going to be music or not (Hm... so why am I writing this. Maybe so that you have at least some feedback ).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #184
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thank's for the feedback Legate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Maybe I would expect... "softer" thing. This is way too... dark? ... "raw"...
So just check this.

This is another version of the same music (and music only) where I have taken all those dark echoes and high-pitched reverbs away so that the acoustic guitar sounds more "normal" and bright. There is quite a difference there.

I guess the whole mood is a bit different. There still is the suspense or the dark flavour but it sounds more bright or crisp.

Would that sound better to you?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #185
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I like the music a lot, both variations of it.

However, they both are a little depressing and lack an adventurous, hopeful, heroic quality. While listening to it, I don't get the sense that we are on a quest which, at least early on, would doubtless seem exciting to the Fellowship.

Anyway, I realize that we're all going to have differing personal opinions, so I'll be content with whatever we settle on.

Thanks for doing that, Nogrod!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #186
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
overall it sounds like the music from Diablo
Ha! That's true!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #187
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks Nogrod. That gives me a nice place to start/lead up to, and it makes my job easier.

If anyone else wants to help with the music, I'm not stopping them. Just send me or Nogrod a PM.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #188
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
This is another version of the same music (and music only) where I have taken all those dark echoes and high-pitched reverbs away so that the acoustic guitar sounds more "normal" and bright. There is quite a difference there.

I guess the whole mood is a bit different. There still is the suspense or the dark flavour but it sounds more bright or crisp.

Would that sound better to you?
Oh, indeed, this sounds better and I actually really like it. I would be all for putting that there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
However, they both are a little depressing and lack an adventurous, hopeful, heroic quality. While listening to it, I don't get the sense that we are on a quest which, at least early on, would doubtless seem exciting to the Fellowship.
Hm, but I would actually oppose having any "heroic" music in there (in this moment). What I really won't like to see would be the heroic thing like we see in FotR (the Fellowship climbing the mountains and that Fellowship theme playing there) - it's nice in the film, but it's not good for us, I'd say. And look what is the text which is supposed to go with it: it is not meant to be heroic at all, and last of all hopeful - Eru forbid! This is a hopeless quest! And the Fellowship is leaving the safety of Rivendell, one dark winter night - and I strongly doubt anyone is excited. Just read the chapter! The only one who is "heroic" is Boromir who feels the need to blow his horn. But nothing else.

Oh, and one thing for you music-makers. My brother (who is actually quite a music maker) suddenly expressed his interest in the subject, so it could be that he might lend a hand or two to the music-making if you wish and if it's possible. What do you think? If that will be possible, then... hmm... how should we do this... let's say you could PM me some things about what you are planning or what you'd need or whatever with the music, and then we'll see.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #189
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

It doesn't need to resemble the movie score, Legate. In fact, that wasn't what I had in mind at all. I would just like it slightly more upbeat.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #190
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
How about something as crazy as in Dead Man, if someone has seen it?

But the stuff Nogrod made is to be put into it, for sure.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #191
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Oh, and one thing for you music-makers. My brother (who is actually quite a music maker) suddenly expressed his interest in the subject, so it could be that he might lend a hand or two to the music-making if you wish and if it's possible. What do you think? If that will be possible, then... hmm... how should we do this... let's say you could PM me some things about what you are planning or what you'd need or whatever with the music, and then we'll see.
Good to hear that! More people in the fellowship the merrier!

The first problem though is that there is no planning going on at the moment. And it's hard to plan if we don't have a deal about which chapter we should go for in the first place. I myself might vote for the Ring goes south as it has diffent moods and quite a lot of dialogue.

And what would your brother wish to do Legate, compose, arrange, play - and if he'd play which instruments he could do? The easiest thing is when he wishes to play then we can send him the background when that is ready and he can either play the violin or oboe or electric guitar (or whatever instrument he plays) right over it the way he wishes or we could send him notes and give him the beat. If he wishes to join in with the composing then we should make some deals about who takes which part of the chapter. And even if he doesn't I should have something like a deal with McCaber anyway. I mean I can continue developing this one I've made this far if McCaber doesn't say he wishes to do exactly that part. All this counting on the possibility that we'll end up doing this chapter that is.

If we take the passage I've made now the scene will go on for something like 10 minutes and it should mainly be a background thing - like all this music should be. We can use the pauses in the narration or the changing of the settings in the book as places where we can bring forwards some musical ideas for something like ten seconds at the time but probably no more.

If the stuff I made (well, a lengthier rerecording of it including a lot of variation) would start with the departing of the fellowship from Rivendell I'd say the next place to make some real changes - not taking into account the variations - would be Sam's night-watch the earliest, probably only when they start climbing Caradhras. But even there the changes should be more smooth than abrupt. With the attack of Caradhras and the coming of the snow we should have a totally new theme to be sure - even if there could be remnants of the score before it.

And we definitively need a Rivendell theme in the beginning - spiced with some hobbit-like things as there are long sequences of the hobbits discussing before the company sets off.

If the Ring Goes South is going to be the chapter we will make...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #192
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I vote that we do either The Ring Goes South or Journey In The Dark. Journey In The Dark might even allow Gollum a cameo appearance!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #193
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:

And we definitively need a Rivendell theme in the beginning - spiced with some hobbit-like things as there are long sequences of the hobbits discussing before the company sets off.
Wind and bells and mellow xylophones for the elves and some kind of English folk tune for the Hobbits!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #194
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

First, I actually thought we have already semi-agreed on Ring Goes South; but in any case, I would be all for it. Journey in the Dark is also nice, but TRGS sounds at least as well and there's quite a lot character talk at the beginning and Nog has actually started working on something for TRGS, so...

Quote:
And what would your brother wish to do Legate, compose, arrange, play - and if he'd play which instruments he could do? The easiest thing is when he wishes to play then we can send him the background when that is ready and he can either play the violin or oboe or electric guitar (or whatever instrument he plays) right over it the way he wishes or we could send him notes and give him the beat. If he wishes to join in with the composing then we should make some deals about who takes which part of the chapter.
Now, concerning this (I am almost-quoting, or paraphrasing the response):

If you have something done and you'd wish him to play something for you - he can do either accoustic guitar or bass guitar (unfortunately, we no longer have the violoncello and there's also piano but it will be probably very bad quality), you can send it to him eventually with some guidelines how you'd like it to be. Or with the beat or notes, if you sent him such (direct quote: "If they really took the effort with it..." ), then he could follow that as well.

And if it were to be the way that everyone picks some part of the chapter and makes music for it, then also no problem - you can discuss that. In that case, there are probably some passages where you'd like to have the music. So from these passages, you would probably have some passages you'd like to do, and also in that case he'd look at these passages if there isn't anything which would really interest him, and you could then agree on what is he going to do.

And last thing, he also has some of these composing-programs and he can do something with them, like putting tracks together or such, or make electronic music (or music out of recorded music samples).
Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #195
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Nogrod, I have sent you a clip of me saying stuff, in case you need more voice-actors.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 AM   #196
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nice!

You Nerwen have quite a "boyish" voice which is exactly what we'd need regarding the hobbits and elves.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #197
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Soooo... I guess we're doing The Ring goes South or A Journey in the Dark? Well, since the two follow each other, why not start with the first and see how far we get?

We're not going ahead well with the casting. I've heard many samples, but who do people actually like to play now? Why doesn't everybody just say who s/he wants to play and then send in a short sample of each of these characters (if s/he doesn't have already) so that we can decide on it? Once we've decided on it, we can start experimenting with the first non-local recordings!

For the two chapters above we need:

Narrator
Frodo
Sam
Merry
Pippin
Gandalf
Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Boromir
Elrond
Bilbo

The characters for female voices would be the Narrator, Frodo(?), Sam, Merry, Pippin, Legolas(?), Bilbo(?).

I really like Nogrod's music. I was sceptical to too much background music before, but this was very nice to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
Wind and bells and mellow xylophones for the elves
Hmm, when I think of Elvish music, I usually think more of harps and flutes, as in Blind Guardian's "Battle of Sudden Flame", for example.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #198
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Hmm, when I think of Elvish music, I usually think more of harps and flutes, as in Blind Guardian's "Battle of Sudden Flame", for example.
Naturally, it would depend upon the occasion.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #199
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Ok, I'm interested and I hope there's enough of my voice in A Journey in the Dark, because I don't have any microphone at the moment so it would be a big bother to find one.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #200
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The wheels are turning!

Nogrod- that's an excellent musical score you have brewing. I too would like it a little more uplifting, but I have no qualms in keeping it along the same lines that you have created. Afterall, right before the Company sets out in the dead of winter, there isn't a voice in Rivendell that is heard. All was dark, cold, and brooding. Like Legate said, the only real noise that takes place before the Company sets out is the sounding of Boromir's horn. So, the dark feel of the music definitely does go with the scene.

Once the Company leaves Rivendell, perhaps then it should be slightly more cheery? Since they've been out into the open air, Gandalf's leading...the overall mood is a tad more cheerful, although still flocked with cold and doubt.

On the chapter- I also thought we agreed on The Ring Goes South. I think it would be a great choice to start with. And, if that goes well, we could always do A Journey in the Dark. As far as casting goes, I believe that everyone agrees with me being Boromir. So, that leaves 11 more characters to be voiced.

Concerning hobbits, I will say that I think Frodo and/or Bilbo should be voiced by males, to seperate them from the younger hobbits. I would like Legolas to also be played by a male but if some females fit the part then that's fine too. I know we have a large female crowd, so let's make sure everybody can participate if they want to.

Does anybody have a character they would prefer?