The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2003, 03:50 AM   #1
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Question frodos parents

Were frodos parents cousins? related in any way i seem to remember hearing something like that somewhere.
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #2
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's see...

Belladonna Took married Bungo Baggins and they had Bilbo.
Mirabella Took (Belladonna's sister) married Gobadoc Brandybuck and had Primula Brandybuck (Drogo's wife, Bilbo's cousin and Frodo's mother).

Are you with me so far?

Drogo was Bilbo's second-cousin on his father's side.
Primula was Bilbo's first cousin on his mother's side.

I think that would make Drogo and Primula second cousins twice-removed. Anyone else care to give it a whirl?
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It's a pretty distant relation.... Much healthier than certain European customs of marrying ones first cousin. Yuck!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
Eol Telemnar
Haunting Spirit

Location: At my house, on my computer (where else would I be?
Eol Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well, You should look in "The Peoples of Middle Earth." Or any other tolkien book (I don't know if all of them have it, though) It should have a family tree of "Baggins." Try looking there. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Oh I gave up on trying to figure out Hobbit family relationships a long time ago as it's a great way to give yourself a headache!!!!
Old 12-13-2003, 03:55 PM   #6
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is somewhere a family tree that says they are second cousins, twice removed or something. I think it's in a certain copy of they RotK.

Burzdol
Old 12-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #7
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
It's a pretty distant relation.... Much healthier than certain European customs of marrying ones first cousin. Yuck!
But its still better than people getting involved with their sister(Gladiator) or as in the south US their moms.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:49 PM   #8
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I think that's quite enough cross-continental genealogical comment.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:09 PM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Just looked at the genealogical tables in ROTK, and as far as I can make out (and I might be missing some glaringly obvious point) Drogo and Primula were not technically related directly to each other at all. Both were related to Bilbo, but that's a different matter - for example, if I'm descended from family lines A(mother's family) and B (Father's family) and my maternal cousin is descended from lines A and C(his father's family) HIS cousin (descended from lines C and D) has no blood relation to me even though we have an indirect connection.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to point out that a one-off first-cousin marriage is not a genetic problem in 99% of cases (the 1% being where the common family involved has Tay-Sachs or hemophilia or something like that in their bloodline). It was repeated first-cousin marriages of children who in turn are products of first-cousin marriages that usually did the mischief, and those were usually made only in royal families for the sake of alliances - the old church, in fact, officially condemned marriage between kin closer that *seventh* cousins (obviously a lot of dispensations were handed out). So even if Primula and Drogo were second cousins by blood, the risk to their offspring would have been very minor.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Adding to what Kalimac said, when the common family carries a recessive trait for a gene for a disease like hemophilia, cystic fibrosis, etc., then it is a problem for a descendant of many cousin-cousin unions, because the likelihood that they will inherit both recessive genes increases, with more cousin-cousin unions.

(To make this post on-topic: [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Drogo and Primula wouldn't have had a problem because, to my knowledge, there is no record of any sort of genetic disease among Hobbits. Ergo, they could marry their cousins all they want, with some inherent risks of birth defects and suchlike. Those would be the only thing that they would have to worry about, if the physiology of the Hobbits was generally the same as that of Humans.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote