The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Say what?

This morning I took the younger two to a local park that also is a working farm. The girls love to see the animals; that is as long as the animals don't come too close. We saw the usual farm animals - pigs, chickens, cows, goats and geese and a stray cat or two. It was when we saw the horses that the girls really got a little scared.

We stood next to the white plastic fence that easily would keep the large animals from eating us - sure, horses are herbivores, that is until they decide to evolve and become meat-eaters, and I don't want to be there that day. Anyway, so I held my littlest one, and my other daughter stood somewhat behind me as the large horse approached. When the horse reached the fence, the babe in my arms clung to me so tightly it would have taken grease and a crowbar to get her to let go of dad.

The other one, I noticed, was backing away crying/screaming about the approach of the horse, and this was unlike her.

"Stand your ground!" It was out of my mouth before I even realized what I'd said. Instead of continuing with, "You are a daughter of alatar! No matter what comes near that fence you will stand your ground!" I said things more soothing to the child, and eventually she bucked up enough courage to come over and pet one of the three horses that had shown up.

So that incident got me to thinking: First, I still have the movies a little too much on the mind. And what other Peter Jackson movie quotes was I using?

Have you ever found yourself or another using a movie quote? And which, if any, have made it into the common lexicon?

Please don't respond with "She-Elf," as my head will just explode.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That is so funny, alatar. I busted up laughing so hard when I heard what you said. . .

I know my sister and I quote LotR all the time for real life stuff that happens, but I simply can't remember any of them with the picture of you and your girls and you saying, "Stand your ground!" Oh, it's too funny!

-- Folwren
Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Amazing. And hilarious.

Personally, I believe my brain works best when it comes to association, so things are always reminding me of other things...most often something someone says sparks a movie quote or line from a song. I don't think I can begin to recount the LotR lines I've used...of course Star Wars lines outrank LotR lines in use by far...

I think these have slipped into the 'common lexicon', so to speak, at least in my experience as a...'teenager'... >_>

"Is it secret, is it safe?" / "Keep it secret, keep it safe" seem to be fairly common phrases to me. If you have a large enough group, at least one person there is going to know how to respond to "Is it secret...?"

I also think "my precious" is pretty common, too.

Oh, and "You shall not pass"...'nough said.

And possibly "the One ____ to rule them all"...I think the blank has been filled in with innumerable things.

Of course, I'm trying to differentiate between my personal *nerd culture* and the *culture* of the *general population* and I'm having some difficulties, so...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
But some of the ones you point to, Durelin, are from the Books, long before the movie had even been thought of.

"My precious", for example.

What I want to know, is how did daughter react initially to the strong alatar/dad?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, but the movie undoubtedly brought them into more frequent use, or at least have made it so that more people 'get them', so to speak. Sorry, I thought that was part of the idea.

Most of my high school class, for example, knew the movies well, even though only a handful had read the books and only a fraction more will probably ever read them in the future (at least, in my opinion).

(Finds it strangely amussing that 'the Books' is now a proper noun... )
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
That's pretty good. Horses can be intimidating to little tykes!

I intentionally incorporate more archaic expressions and phraseology from Tolkien (and others, such as books by C.S. Lewis, or Arthur Conan Doyle or Victor Hugo) because I think it maintains connections with the past. And maybe, makes me a bit smarter, or at least conveys that illusion.

I know that the more artistic (if somewhat roundabout) prose manner of writing from older authors has influenced the way I write online too.

What's more, I'm constantly quoting movies such as Lord of the Rings. My brothers and sisters have generally seen the same things I have, so sometimes a certain quote at a certain time makes for an extremely inside joke.

Since it's a habit, it's difficult to say if I've ever involuntarily blurted out a quote such as "stand your ground!" before.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
What I want to know, is how did daughter react initially to the strong alatar/dad?
"Boog" stood her ground. It's odd - kids. She's the one that would jump into deep water without a thought. She's the one I placed on a (flat) roof to retrieve a toy. She was never in any danger, but the other ones thought that it was too scary, but Boog didn't hesitate. She's always at my side when I use power tools. Why she's suddenly afraid of animals - horses and spiders - I'm not sure if it's an age thing, a season thing (change) or a personality thing. I immediately felt bad when I said what I said, and worked to undo whatever damage I may have done with soft words and by helping overcome the fear. We got closer to the fence, then closer, then I held her up so she could pet the horse, she knowing that if she wanted to move back I would immediately do so.

You'll probably see Boog on some talk show one day getting audience/media therapy for having a Tolkien-nut father and equinophobia/hippophobia.

Anyway, as the movies were presented via an episode of the colorful language-ridden cartoon "South Park," I would assume that Jackson's works can be considered part of the popular and not just nerd lexicons.

Know that I've stated this before, but one of my favorite ways of entering the office on a Monday morning is to look as I always do (tired and out of sorts), come in, squint a little while looking left and right then exclaim, "I have no memory of this place..."
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Did you actually say 'Stand your ground' like Gandalf said it in the movie?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Did you actually say 'Stand your ground' like Gandalf said it in the movie?
Not sure. The moment was so fleeting it's hard to tell. It wasn't like, "stand your ground, perhaps?" like I was speaking to the elves at Helm's Deep. On the other hand, I didn't shout.

Still, the words were the same, and if I'd heard them a thousand times from one source, it's very possible that I sounded just like Ian.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Alatar . .that is one cute story ./......

you asked if we do the same and the answer is YES YES YES. I have a grandson who will be six in a few weeks. For some strange reason unknown to me, he just loves the LOTR movies. Go figure. He has seen them with me at least dozens of times. He can quote the lines as the film rolls.

Sometimes we go up to the local park where they have a playscape with a bridge. We do the "you shall not pass" routine on a regular basis. The playscape has a mediaval castle look so he says it is Helms Deep.

We also play LOTR quite alot. He and I act out scenes from the films including the scene where the Corsairs try to enter Gondor, Sam battling with Shelob, Boromir battling the Uruk-hai, and the decapitation of the Mouth of Sauron. In every reenactment, he is always the forces of good and I am the bad guys.

Love those kids cause they grow so very fast. Sounds like you already know that.

Your story made me smile and feel very good.

Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Not sure. The moment was so fleeting it's hard to tell. It wasn't like, "stand your ground, perhaps?" like I was speaking to the elves at Helm's Deep. On the other hand, I didn't shout.

Still, the words were the same, and if I'd heard them a thousand times from one source, it's very possible that I sounded just like Ian.
There's several times where it was said. Gandalf shouted it to the soldiers of Gondor, Theoden shouted it to the riders of Rohan, and Aragorn shouted it (actually, "hold your ground") to the armies of the Men of the West.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #12
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:

Have you ever found yourself or another using a movie quote? And which, if any, have made it into the common lexicon?
Haha, indeed. I believe I might have used "Stand your ground!" as well. Also (although not limited to):

"It is folly"

"What say you?!"

"There is always hope"
Old 09-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
Lord Halsar
Haunting Spirit

Location: 'Round the corner, down the well, passed the Balrog, straight to HELL!
Lord Halsar has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

alatar... i have been waiting for somone to post this thread (or one of similarity). I have said such quotes so frequently lately that i sometimes think that i could have done the voice of the One Ring for the movie.
My deep voice is perfect for quotes from some of the most interesting characters (I swear to the dear Lord that I can sound EXACTLY like the Witchking or Ian).
Here is a small list of my said quotes...
"Death!"
"You Shall not Pass!"
"Ash Nazg Durbatuluk, Ash Nazg Gimbatul. Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk. Agh Burzum Ishi Krimpatul. "

"Go back to the shadows. Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your master! "
"You Fool. Do you not know death when you see it, old man? This is my hour! "
I can even do the echoes and whisper-like pitches of the WK's voice. Anyway, the list goes on and on.
As for your horse encounter, I would have done exactly the same thing I bet.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 AM   #14
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright, with the help of my sisters and Mom, I remembered some.

My Mom's favorite to use is - "Get off the road!" and she uses it as often as possible.

My most used quote is "What are you doing?" in either Frodo's voice on Weather Top or Pippin's in Flotsam and Jetsam when Merry is making sure he's taller than Pip. When being snacked on by horse flies - "What do they eat when they can't get human?" (It's supposed to be hobbit, but, well, I'm not a hobbit.) Then, of course, there's the famous "You can not pass!" I guess everyone uses that eventually.

Now...another I use quite often isn't from LotR but from Master and Commander and that runs "You there! Stand fast!" That's probably used more often than any LotR quote.....
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
My Mom's favorite to use is - "Get off the road!" and she uses it as often as possible.
That reminds me of... Whenever me, my sis and my dad (or some combination of us three) pass a place that even remotely resembles that place in the FotR movie, someone of us (usually my dad) has to shout: "Get off the road!" Now this is quite serious since we normally don't speak English, but then again, this is always an intentional joke...

Also, "you shall not pass" used to be the favourite quote of Finnish teenager boys (or at least of those in my class) some years ago.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
I've often found myself using 'This is a foe beyond any of you...', when I see impossible questions at school, or during multiplayer games, etc. I have to admit, it's got quite a catch to it...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #17
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I thought of one yesterday.

We happen to have a neighbor to the south of us who often burn things, causing a very thick, black, smoke. So "Look, smoke to the south," comes up every once in a while.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Great story alatar...quite funny. Those times I think are the best.

As my niece is an avid fan of Lord of the Rings now (you can thank moi for that ) and we are always quoting the movies. But the funniest moments are the ones when you don't even know you are quoting the movies!

For instance, I work in HR and many times I have helped her out with trying to get a job and putting together a resume. And I've told her several times that she might have to move away from Ohio here to find a job, because NE there are no jobs coming up. And she's worried about having to leave and go to some unknown place.

One time I said 'Don't worry, I will follow you to the end.' She started busting out laughing, and I had no clue at the time that I had actually said one of Aragorn's lines from the movies...and she followed up with 'Even through the very fires of job searching?'

Also, she has been known to call some of her professors 'foul dwimmerlaiks,' and being the sarcastic person that I am always ask 'So your professor is an evil necromancer?' And she just comes back with 'Oh stop being sarcastic you know what I mean.'
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #19
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Another PJism would be "Gimli!" as Gandalf exclaims it when the Dwarf runs toward the tomb of his kin in Moria. The exclamation sometimes takes the place of, "Hey!"
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #20
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
My husband and I were hanging out with our favorite friend-family, not long after we had all sat down at their house for three consecutive weekends and watched the movies together. Middle-earth (and PJ ) jokes abounded in those days, and I was "precious"-ing, perhaps a bit too much (it gives my husband the creeps). My husband said something Tolkien related (I wish I could remember exactly what) intended to curtail my gollum-imitation, and everyone laughed uproariously. Says I:

"Cruel men hurtss us. Masster betrays uss!"

It broke up the crowd and was nominated for the quote of the day.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #21
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I remember when the films came out we'd have some fun at work imitating some of the actors with the most rubbish or hammy accents. Doing a long drawn out "Iseeeeeeldoooooooooooooor!" as spoken by Hugo Weaving at Mount Doom was a fave - usually followed by "Cobber" or "mate".

Trying to say "Mordor" like you were a cat coughing up a furball was another - kind of like "Morchhhhhdurghhhhh" - this was in imitation of Viggo Mortensen. Actually, he may have been trying to say Morgul in that scene, now I think of it, but his accent was so utterly incomprehensible that's what everyone thought he was trying to say

Then there was a weird hybrid of Frodo and Roland from classic 70's/80's era Grange Hill that we'd use if anyone went for lunch, saying "Where are you going, Frodo?" in a girly voice. Only Brits of a certain age will get that one
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #22
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ah yes, that time-honoured sport of taking the mick out of Hugo Weaving's diction. Our favourite was Ahhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrr-wwwhen.

And, of course, "they're taking the hobbits to Isengard". Said in darling Orli's posh-boy school-play voice. In my home, that's become shorthand for any kind of earnest-yet-slightly-crap acting.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #23
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Ah yes, that time-honoured sport of taking the mick out of Hugo Weaving's diction. Our favourite was Ahhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrr-wwwhen.

And, of course, "they're taking the hobbits to Isengard". Said in darling Orli's posh-boy school-play voice. In my home, that's become shorthand for any kind of earnest-yet-slightly-crap acting.
Yes, the breathy pronunciation of Arwen was another funny one at the time...and davem is fond of laughing at his spitting way of saying "Men are weak". Good job Mithalwen is not around to hear us taking the micky out of her dear Hugo. I await her wrath...

In contrast to Straight Outta Italia Conti Orli, there was also Sean Bean to amuse ourselves with and the way he was completely unable to disguise his Sheffield accent (he is unable to disguise this at all, ever, in anything, which is part of his charm). I remember making up lines involving him taking the Ring "reight dahn t'Lane" and so on...
Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ihave my spies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Yes, the breathy pronunciation of Arwen was another funny one at the time...and davem is fond of laughing at his spitting way of saying "Men are weak". Good job Mithalwen is not around to hear us taking the micky out of her dear Hugo. I await her wrath...

I agree about Bean though he will do Irish....bit daft that they made Noble and Wenham lose the Aussie though

Hugo rolls his rs in a authentic Elvish way .. and just thinking about him saying "Morrrrrrdorrrrrrr" makes me go weak at the knees.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #25
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Hugo rolls his rs in a authentic Elvish way .. and just thinking about him saying "Morrrrrrdorrrrrrr" makes me go weak at the knees.....
Quite right. I like his and McKellen's and Lee's pronounciation... the way the hobbits pronounce Mordor and Gandalf makes me wince. But maybe just because I'm Finnish and those actors pronounce the names the same way I would.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #26
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I agree about Bean though he will do Irish....bit daft that they made Noble and Wenham lose the Aussie though

What on earth are you doing on here?! Get back in the bar, woman! I presume you have performed the traditional sprint away from a certain chap's singing?

Bean still does Irish with a Yorkshire tinge...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #27
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post

Have you seen the They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard video? It's a hoot!

By the way, I love your signature!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #28
Lord Halsar
Haunting Spirit

Location: 'Round the corner, down the well, passed the Balrog, straight to HELL!
Lord Halsar has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I remember seeing that video about a year ago. I thought that it would come up eventually. My friend Skylar is a bit on the pudgy side(If he had a personal trainer, Skylar would probably eat him!). So every now and then in band class, when he gets something wrong on his trombone, I will either say, "Stupid fat trombonist!", or "That is no orc horn..."
That always makes my friends laugh.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #29
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Where do I begin, hehehe my friends and parents get sooo annoyed... I don't have the time to write a fraction of them... but I do say "My Precious" a lot since I do have "The One Ring" that I wear around my neck... but I say "That's not my precious... that's Smeagol's precious... my precious is my copy of The LotR books that I bought with my own money that I made by babysitting. When I get the time I will add to this. Ok adding, well I say the You know PO-TA-TOES line a lot, and so does my mom. It's hilarious, because she gets sooo annoyed with my constant LotR cracks. So the other day I was in gym and we played this game called capture the rings... well I changed it to "Capture the Ring, it's what the Nazgul play" hehehe

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 10-01-2007 at 11:16 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #30
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ha!!! My sides hurt.... I just had to add one of my own.

One night while making supper, my fiance asked "what are we having as a side dish?" or something to that effect. I answered, "Potatoes" The t.v being quite loud he didn't hear me and yells "What!?" I couldn't resist, I walked into the room he was in and said " You know p-o-t-a-t-o-e-s, boil 'em, mash 'em stick 'em in a stew." We both broke out at that one.
I believe it was Sam who said this. I'm not quite sure if it was just in the movies or if it was in the books too.

I know the "You shall not pass" one has come up a few times. Oh yeah and I just love doing the part in the movie in Rivendel when Viggo says something like "you cannot wield it, noone can." his voice goes all squeaky and so unAragornish, it just makes me laugh.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #31
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
One night while making supper, my fiance asked "what are we having as a side dish?" or something to that effect. I answered, "Potatoes" The t.v being quite loud he didn't hear me and yells "What!?" I couldn't resist, I walked into the room he was in and said " You know p-o-t-a-t-o-e-s, boil 'em, mash 'em stick 'em in a stew." We both broke out at that one.

Oh yeah and I just love doing the part in the movie in Rivendel when Viggo says something like "you cannot wield it, noone can." his voice goes all squeaky and so unAragornish, it just makes me laugh.
I know, what was WITH his voice? But we've done the "POE-TAY-TOES?!" song on several occasions ourselves.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #32
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Can't find it in the script, but kinda remember it being in the FotR movie. "Let us hope that our presence may go unnoticed." I think this to myself, as saying it would defeat the purpose, when walking though one of the kids' bedrooms at night. There's always some creaky floorboard or precariously set toy that acts as 'a Pippin in a mine.'
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #33
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Can't find it in the script, but kinda remember it being in the FotR movie. "Let us hope that our presence may go unnoticed." I think this to myself, as saying it would defeat the purpose, when walking though one of the kids' bedrooms at night. There's always some creaky floorboard or precariously set toy that acts as 'a Pippin in a mine.'
OOOOOHHHH I like that Pippin in a mine thing! Can I use it?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #34
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I run on my high-school's cross country team, and since we live in Michigan we have a good amount of forest runs to work out on. And if you see us running under the trees, often you can hear me yelling "FIND THE HALFLINGS!!! ARRRGGHHH!"
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #35
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
the only comment I regularly say to myself (for the last twenty years or so - and nothing from Lord of the Rings alas) is a quote from Baldrick in the original series of Black Adder. Whenever I say 'Oh Dear' I involuntary add 'Richard the Third' onto the end. It's just stuck with me for some unknown reason (Idiocy perhaps)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #36
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

You know it's going to be about the kids...

We took the kids out to eat this afternoon, and we suggested that we try something different, and so put the restaurant choice up to a vote. When everyone had their say, it was decided that we go to a place called "Eat'n Park," which is a smaller chain restaurant where you can get just about anything for a reasonable price.

A cold chill went down my wife's back, and so she tells me, "Remember that scene where Gandalf hears that voice in his head before they go into the Moria place? Well, that's what I'm hearing right now."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saruman voiceover in Gandalf's head in PJ's FotR

Moria. You fear to go into those mines,
don't you? The dwarves delved too
greedily and too deep.

You know what they awoke in, the darkness
of Khazad-dum. Shadow and flame.
The last time we'd gone to this chain it was nightmarish. Though told the wait was only going to be a few minutes (with four small children, wait time is a big deal), we were finally seated after 45 minutes (one of the joys of always being 'six.'). The kids by that point were cranky and beginning to argue, the table was dirty and our waitperson, after waiting more time, was no where to be seen. So, thinking the better of it, we simply packed up and left after, of course, apologizing , but we figured that it was better to cut our losses than to slug through an unhappy experience.

So it was this Balrog moment that reminded my wife of the scene, and I'm amazed that she even remembers seeing the movie, which she's most likely seen only two or three times. Of course I supplied the paraphrased dialogue.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #37
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I suppose this doesn't directly apply to this thread, but it does in an indirect way: while driving home from work the other day, I stopped at a red light behind a car (I can't remember the make and model but it was small) with a sticker in the rear window that read:

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST

I wanted to follow the person home, but I thought I might be thought of as a stalker, so I didn't. But still, it was nice to be reminded of LotR and Aragorn and Bree at an unexpected moment.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #38
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST
Once saw a T-shirt in a sporting goods store with the same quote beside a pair of hiking boots. Don't think that there was any Tolkien acknowledgment.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #39
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I don't believe it's quite a direct quote, for in the book it is, "Not all those who wander are lost." But clearly this quote that you two have seen is based off of it.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM   #40
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Have one of those T-shirts. Its from the LIFE IS GOOD company which is a neat story in itself if you want to research it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_is_Good

the shirt says "not all who wander are lost". A slight change from the exact quote as Folwren indicated. I thought it was neat to see a LOTR quote on a shirt with no other reference to it. The people who ran the store had no idea.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote