User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2002, 03:15 PM   #41
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius walked over and stood next to Radagast.
"Seems you were right, resiliant is too light a word for you young hobbit!" He took at step foward towards her. "But perchance you could tell me how you know my name?" There was no malice in his voice but Mattius was extremly curious to know the answer. The hobbit swallowed a piece of muffin and began to talk.
"Well I daresay thats easy enough to answer! I have been able to hear every single thing you have all said!" Radagast looked puzzled.
"So," began Rothalle,"you couldn't move or speak but could hear everything?" The hobbit nodded whilst concentrating on the muffin. Mattius and Radagast exchanged looks. Endereth and Calentoliel approached from where they had sat.
"Greetings my young friend, I am Endereth and this is Calentoliel, we are both glad to see you have returned to health!" The halfling slapped her head, quickly swallowed the remaing muffin and brushed her hands of the crumbs.
"Where are my manners." The hobbit cleared her throat. "I am Faye Took of the Shire, kinswoman of the great Peregrin Took, mighty among hobbits." The group smiled at her and those who hadn't already, introduced themselves. With Faye back in good health, they prepared to begin walking again. It was a couple of hours before sunset and white snow gleamed like a million coats of Mithril laid out across the ground.

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-22-2002, 11:29 AM   #42
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

The Shire was much closer now and the group hastened their pace. Faye was naturally extremly anxcious to return and make sure her friends and family were okay. After a few hours walking they came to a spot where there was much spilt blood on the ground and a few broken arrows. Some of the blood was red, some black. Mattius turned to Endereth.
"What do you suppose happened here ranger?" She kneeled down.
"A battle for sure. Seems the beast came upon a group of well armed hobbits at unawares. Took a few bits of blood from it too." She stood up again and looked at Faye who seemed quite distraught. "Radagast?"
"I agree my dear. My guess is they scared the beast off. However, I am afriad there may have ben a few serious casualties for the hobbits." THe ranger and Mattius studied the ground for a while more before Endereth spoke to the group.
"It seems the beast has fled, but not to the Shire. It seems to have gone south towards the Brandywine River. The hobbits, around seven of them, we suspect have gone back to the Shire."
"So, are we going to follow it then Radagast?" asked Calentoliel.
"Why do you ask me my dear?" the wizard repiled. "I am not the leader here." Without anyone discussing or talking they seemed to looked towards Mattius. He had already shown leadership qualities and they looked for his view.
"Mattius," asked Ebdereth, "what do you think?" The blond haired Elf of Gondor looked east then south before smelling the air.
"Perhaps both." he said. Faye frowned.
"What do you mean?" she asked.
"Perhaps we should split up, for the time being at least. Faye needs to be returned to the Shire and I feel a great need to talk to the Thain, Peregrin Took."
"So who is going with us?" asked the hobbit.
"Radagast, will you also travel with us, I have many questions for you and I know the hobbits would delight in a wizard visiting the Shire again."
"Of course my lad!" The wizard turned to Rothalle. "You will travel with Calentoliel," he whispered, "and if the time is right, tell her." He turned to Endereth. "Rothalle and Calentoliel will have need for a Ranger of your talents my dear, will you join them?" Endereth nodded without question.
"Then it is done," Mattius started, "I will haste to the Shire and find out what I need to know. It is perhaps less than a days travel there and we will stay no more than twenty four hours." Mattius hoisted his pack readying to split from the group. "I will return with Radagast as soon as I can, for now this is goodbye but not farewell." Faye began walking behind him but infront of Radagast. She was quite dissapointed. At first she was extremly happy about returning to her home but now that she was wrapped up in the adventure she wanted to stay in it more than ever. She sighed silently. Maybe she would mention it to one of them later.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:29 PM   #43
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Faye pulled Mattius aside. 'Mattius I must tell you something very important.' Mattius ben't down next to Faye. 'What is it?' Faye looked into Mattiuses eyes, 'I...I am not a hobbit.' Mattius looked confused. 'What do you mean.' Faye bowed her head. 'I am a desendant from the Valar put in hobbit form.' Mattius was startled. 'You see, I am the only one left of my people and I didn't want anyone to know but I trust you Mattius, I know your a good person. I can see it in your eyes.' Faye smiled at Mattius.'I just don't know what to do. I'm sick of being a hobbit. I can't stand it anymore. I don't know what to do.'
Old 09-22-2002, 01:03 PM   #44
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius looked over to Radagast who frowned at him.
"What is wrong my lad?" he asked. Mattius looked down at Faye who walked to the wizard.
"My dear Radagast, I am not what I seem. I am old, many years, in fact, much older than yourself. I am of the Valar and have been sent to Middle-Earth to keep a watch on the post war world we live in. In hobbit form I choose to appear as they are none threatening and kind. My mission led me to the beast and I, like you, feel the that the balance of not only nature, but Middle-Earth itself is under threat." Mattius asked the hobbit a question.
"Should we go and join with the rest of them then?"
"No," replied Faye, "we must speak with my 'cousin' Peregrin, he has important words for you." With that a rather gobsmacked Radagast and Mattius were led towards the Shire by Faye Took, apparntly, of the Valar.

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-22-2002, 02:34 PM   #45
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As he walked behind the so-called hobbit and the man-elf Radagast hummed quietly to himself, trying to make sense of all that had befallen the group so far. He had developed a fondness for Rothalle and feared that dividing the group may yet serve them ill. The beast may have headed away from the Shire that night but could easily back track as foxes are wont to do when trailed by the pack. When night fell it could be easy to pick them off. Nevertheless he knew the power of the elf-girl's song and had great faith that it alone could save them, providing the wretched girl had the confidence to use it well. The Valar incogneto walked quickly though and he had every hope that they at least would cross the borders of the Shire by sunset.
He studied those who walked in front of him. Mattius behaved as he had every hope that he would. Faye had brought with her the final piece of the mystery which had been haunting him since he had left the King of the Eagles, several days since. This was where the quest truly began and for once Radagast was beginning to make sense of it all.
"Look, see the smoke curl up from the chimneys!" Mattius gasped.
"Yes, the Shire is in sight." Radagast replied. "You have led us here well Valar maiden. Now let us see what we are led into."

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]
Old 09-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #46
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

As they approached the outskirts of the Shire a great commontion of shouting could be heard. Without warning a band of around fifteen sturdy hobbits surrounded the three companions with swords and bows at the ready. The tallest approached them.
"I am Moro Gamwich Scout of the Shire." The hobbit looked at Mattius and Faye slowly then turned to Radagast. "Gandalf...?" he whispered to himself whilst focusing his eyes.
"I am afriad not young Moro. My name is Radagast, indeed you may mistake me for Gandalf for he is my cousin." The hobbit captain sheathed his sword and wiped the sweat from his black hair. He signalled to the other hobbits to lower their weapons.
"And what is your business here good wizard?" Faye interuppted before Radagast had a chance to reply.
"Now come here Gamwich!" her mood was extremly hobbitish again, "I know you, you know me, let us pass! We need to speak with Pippin!"
"Take no offence please Faye but the rule from the top is that no-one, friend or foe shall be allowed to pass until given permission by either Mayor Gamgee, Merry the Magnificant or Thain Peregrin."
"We shall wait here my good hobbit until such permission arrives." said Mattius.

As the three of them waited they talked to Moro concerning what had happened the night before. It seemed that the beast had come upon a small group of hobbit scouts who had sensed danger in the area. Eighteen hobbits were involved in the fight and four were killed. The survivers said that it had fled but did not talk about the its appearnce and were still recovering in the small hobbit House of Healing. They had carried the bodies of the fallen hobbits with them for burial in the Shire.

At length the messenger returned.
"Come, Master Peregrin is expecting you." With that Faye led the way whistling to herself while Radagast and Mattius took in their surroundings and pondered upon how the others were getting on.

[ September 24, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-22-2002, 03:36 PM   #47
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

It was late morning, and the three had been traveling nonstop since the first star flickered out of the sky. Ender strode between and slightly in front of Calentoliel and Rothalle. Her eyes continuousy shifted from one side to the other, although not suspensefully. The birds sang in the trees and the air was sweet with the scent of the native plants that grew in the Weather Hills, and it was mingled with the scent of rainwater. "We should look for a shelter before dusk," Ender told her companions. "I smell the rain."

Any mortal can smell a storm before it happens. As elves have much keener senses than men, they can detect it from a far distance. As for an elven ranger, the scent is so strong (although not unpleasant) that it acts as a regulator; one twinge of difference can tell them what is near, even if they are blinded by night.

In this case, barely a thin line of black cloud had peeked over the horizon when Endereth stopped short. Rothalle and Calentoliel turned to her nervously. "What is coming? Is it the beast?" asked Calentoliel.
"No, it is not the beast. That is too far in front of us." Ender took a whiff of the air. "It's a white deer, and it's coming ever closer from behind. If it comes within sight, we must not threaten it. That will bring us bad fortune."
The travelers sat motionless beneath a tree as the deer crossed in front of them. It was a tall, graceful doe, and as she came in front of Calentoliel she stopped, turning her head and looking at the bard with glassy black eyes. Calentoliel stared back, confused as to what this could mean. Suddenly the doe fell onto her side. Ender stood up, drawing her sword quickly and looking about. When she saw no one was around, she turned back to the deer. She was alive, trying to lift her head. "Calentoliel, she was looking at you. Go see if you can't find what's wrong with her."
Old 09-24-2002, 06:00 AM   #48
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius, Radagast and Faye followed the young hobbit messenger. It seemed that news of their comming had gone before them and a great number of hobbits had come out on to the streets to see them. The atmosphere was strange though, there was no cheering at their comming but silence and staring. By now most of the Shire had learned of an attack away westward. The messenger led them into a large hobbit hole, large enough for Mattius and Radagast to stand without banging their heads on the ceiling or the beams, Faye stood behind them. The messenger told them to wait and he went off to find someone. After a couple of moments a hobbit, extremly tall for his age, appeard dressed in fine robes of warriors. His face was proud and at his side was a beautiful and dangerous blade.
"So, it seems the young hobbit has drunk from the Ent draughts!" laughed Radagast. Peregrin, was taken abake, surely this is another wizard, thought he to himself.
"Excuse me but would you happen to be a wizard, akin to Gandalf?" At the name 'Gandalf' Peregrin's face showed sorrow, he missed the wizard dearly.
"I am of the Istari yes," spoke Radagast, "but I am not ashamed to say he became the most powerful of our order. I am Radagast." Peregrin took a step towards the old bent man.
"And I am Peregrin Took, Thain of the Shire!" he bowed low and stood up again. "But please, call me Pippin." Suddenly Faye jumped out from behind the two tall figures,
"And I will call you Pip!" The two of them embraced before Pippin led them to a private room, deep in his hobbit hole. Pippin held back the door whilst Radagast and Faye walked in. Mattius follwed and Peregrin saw his face fully, proud and noble like a man of Gondor, he thought, yet as beautiful as any elf he had ever seen. Mattius stopped before he walked in.
"I apologise for my rudeness, my name is Mattius and I above all have great need to talk with you."
"Then let us begin my good Mattius!"

It was dark and no windows let in any sun, only the candles gave light. The four of them sat around a small wooden table with Pippin at the head.
"I am sorry I had to bring you all down here, but things are pretty hectic up there." Pippin motioned with his head towards the surface. "People are in hesterics, we havent seen a bloodshed in the Shire since Sauraman was here." The Thain looked to Radagast. "I guess that is why they eyed you with such suspicion." Radagast nodded. "Now, Mattius, you said you had need to talk to me!" Mattius sat up in his chair.
"Yes, we wish to know what happened here and also I need to know of the survivors."
"The survivors?" asked Pippin thinking suddenly.
"Yes," Mattius replied, "would that be a... problem?" Pippin scratched his head and sighed.
"I am afriad the survivors refuse to talk to anybody. When they returned they took themselves to the House of Healing and were silent although a few people say they saw them before muttering something about dragons, balrogs or something. A smoke?" Pippin took out his long pipe and lit the weed before puffing smoke rings. Radagast refused polietly but Mattius remained silent with his fingers on his temples and staring intensly at nothing, just thinking.
"Something wrong?" asked Pippin noticing his state. For the time being Mattius ignored the hobbit and turned to Radagast.
"Dragons? Balrogs? This is very bad Radagast, very bad indeed." Mattius looked back at Pippin. "How many survivors were they?"
"Fourteen."
"Fourteen? It seems my suspicions were dangerously incorrect Radagast. The Beast's power does not decrease with how many people it faces. In fact..."
"It seems to increase." Radagast said finishing Mattius' sentence. Faye sprang out of her seat making Pippin jump.
"Then we must get back to the others!" Pippin was beginning to get very confused.
"Beast? Others? I am afriad you have succeeded in confusing me." Radagast rose from his chair, walked across to Pippin and put his elderly hand on his shoulder.
"Do not worry anymore Master Took, for the danger has passed and it seems the Shire has got off lightly. But beware! Keep a tight watch on your borders from this day!" Radagast followed Faye up the stairs back to the surface leaving Mattius and Pippin alone.
"Thank you for your time good Thain," said Mattius, "for bad news is at least important news." Pippin rose and led him up the stairs.
"I am sorry to break it to you, though I do not understand it, but before you leave I will supply you with provisions."
"So be it, I thank you again Peregrin, but we must make haste!"

After quickly picking up supplies the three companions began the walk out of the Shire. The streets were empty now as dusk began to fall on the world. The snow had frozen and cracked loudly under foot. Pippin waved off the three of them and bade them good luck.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:56 PM   #49
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Calentoliel walked over to the deer and kneeled down, her hands pressing gently against the doe's head. She was worried for the doe, worried about how such harmless creature could be hurt.
Suddenly, a voice entered her thoughts. Calentoliel. Listen. The voice belonged to the deer.
Calentoliel blinked in surprise and looked down at the doe, who was now staring at her. She had spoken in the same language as Calentoliel did in her songs. She had never heard anyone besides herself use this language. Not until now.
The doe continued to speak to her. You and your companions have come together for a reason. Together, you must all kill the dark beast. If you do not, if you shall fail, the beast will continue to grow in power, and soon all of Middle-earth will fall.
Calentoliel swallowed in fear, uncertain of the deer's words. If what she had said was true, then all of Middle-earth was depending on them.
The doe was beginning to grow weaker. Do not be afraid, Calentoliel. You and the others have the strength and power to destroy this terrible monster. It is destiny that has brought all of you together. Now, all you need to do, Calentoliel, is find courage. Find confidence in yourself. You are more powerful than you realize, and soon enough you will discover that. But for now, you, Endereth, and Rothalle must go back to the others. They need you, and you will need them. Find them, and together you can all defeat the shapeshifter. Go. And with that final word, the deer died.

Calentoliel examined the doe's body trying to find the cause of death. And then she realized.
The doe was a messenger. She had come to warn them of what they must do. After she had sent her message, she had no other reason to exist. She was meant to die.

Calentoliel let go of the deer. She had barely stood up when the doe's body disappeared, leaving nothing but a shimmering light from where she once laid.
And then without looking back, Calentoliel turned around and walked towards a very confused Endereth and Rothalle. She stopped, only a foot away from them, took a deep breath, and said, "We must turn back."
Old 09-25-2002, 03:22 PM   #50
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

It was deeply dark now and deathly cold. Mattius, shivering, tightened his cloak. Slowly they had walked back west towards the point where they had split with the others.
"When will spring get here!" asked Faye.
"I am not sure," replied Mattius, "I would have thought it to be here by now. Its late." 'Very late' thought Radagast to himself as they continued.

The moon was overhead when they reached the point where they had last seen Calentoliel, Endereth and Rothalle. They stopped for a short rest and a drink but something disturbed them. As Mattius sat on a rock he thought he heard something far off. He noticed that Radagast and Faye had a similar look on their face.
"Something draws near, ready yourself!" said Radagast. As the three of them stood ready there was nothing but silence for a very long time. So long in fact that Mattius was about to sheath his sword but just as that thought began a great sound of marching feet began away westward. As it drew closer they could hear voices, after a few minutes it was clear to what the voices belonged.
"Orcs," whispered Mattius. Their chanting got closer and closer until it seemed the voices were almost upon them and then, silence. Total silence. The stars shone and the snow sparkled and there was no noise except for the breaths of the travellers. Suddenly there was a giant crash as something was hurled towards them. The three ducked as it landed close to their feet. At first they dared not approach it until they realised it was a dead body, the body of a dwarf. Mattius kneeled down and rolled it over to see the face. His chest was cut open and its insides were gone. Then Mattius saw its face, it was Borin Iceplate of the Blue Mountains. Faye and Radagast looked down at Mattius, not realising that it was the dwarf who had helped them.
"Its Borin," Mattius said solemnly.
"But what are orcs doing here, now?!" asked Faye to Radagast.
"Evil draws evil my dear," he replied. Mattius stood up, wiped his eyes and lifted his sword high.
"For the murder of the Hero of the Dwarves you shall all pay dear!" He shouted from the bottom of his lungs. A great laughter from around them shreiked and shook fear through them. But Mattius remained firm.
"For doing the business of the Beast you have signed your own lives away." Another howl of laughter came.
"We think not straw-haird elf," hissed a goblin from the distance, "we out number you three to one and all of you will die this night!" This was followed by a great number of torches being lit and it was clear that the orc was telling the truth, there were at least fifteen orcs, big orcs as well, armed to the teeth but luckly none with bows. Mattius nicked an arrow and shot it towards a flame and a great scream of pain followed. The orcs hissed and began their charge.

Mattius and Faye thought they were going to die but would fight on to the death. Radagast on the other hand did not see death for them, on this night at least. He percived something else behind the orcs, something more powerful than any goblin. Just as the first few orcs approached within a few feet of the three of them a beautiful sound filled the air with wonder. Without thinking about it Mattius smiled to himself. The orcs fell to the ground shreiking in pain and anguish. Mattius wondered what to do but his thought pattern was broken when someone put a hand on his shoulder. He turned around to see Enderth.
"Lets get to work," she said to him. They both drew their blades and slashed and cut at the orcs as they were paralised. As Mattius slit the last throat the song stopped and Calentoliel fell unconcious. Rothalle caught her before she hit the ground and held her in her arms.
"Sleep now child, you have done well but you will have to do better when the real test comes. But for now sleep," Rothalle whispered and no-one else heard.

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 09-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #51
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast wore no sword like his companions prefering to use his staff and weild it in hand to hand combat. The combat over, he now leaned upon it and wiped sweat from his brow with the cuff of his robe. "How fairs the songsmith?" He enquired of Rothalle. "I have a little of a healing herb at my belt which should restore her with its intense smell." He wearily staggered to the maid's side and fumbled in the purse that hung upon his belt. Two, small dried leaved were eventually procured for the purpose of rousing her.

"Why didn't you use that on me?" Faye gasped.

"Two meagre leaves of this sage would not have even twitched your nostrils Valar-Hobbitess. It may yet do as little for Calentoliel." The wizard pushed his hat back from his face and leaned over the girl. Carefully he placed the strong smelling leaves beneath her nose. She twitched, she sneezed, she was back with them again. Rothalle brushed her hair away from her face and patted her cheek.

"Welcome back Calentoliel. When you feel ready I must encourage you to your feet. Mattius will move us on very soon." She said, smiling down upon her.

"Yes, I will." Mattius added. "We cannot stay here. There may not be a single orc left alive from this patrol but how many more follow in their wake we cannot tell."

"As always the boy talks good sense." Radagast sighed as he pulled himself back to standing with the aid of his staff. "I know it will be a bind to you Mattius and perhaps a bind yet to all of us but let us wrap up Borin's body and bare it with us. I would like to see him honestly buried and not left as carrion surrounded by these creatures. Besides, before we bury him I would like to make a thorough examination of his body. Who knows what secrets he may yet share with us despite loss of his voice. For such actions I will need daylight."

Ender made a face of disgust. "I have every agreement with burying him. He was a hero. I don't entirely agree with your other suggestion Radagast. It just doesn't seem an honourable thing to do."

"I disagree," said Rothalle. "Radagast has the highest respect for us all. He seeks the truth and with such knowledge we can exact revenge for the death of Borin." She had also risen to her feet. Calentoliel's head leaning upon her shoulder but although weak concious and listening to the debate.

Mattius listened carefully to the trees and the night air. He considered Radagast's suggestion. He took a deep breath and declared his intention. "What ever passes we must be gone from this place. Let us wrap Borin's body and bare it away with us for a hero's funeral. We shall decide if Radagast's plan is appropriate in the cool, rational light of morning."

So it was agreed by the companions. The dwarf was bound in their largest blanket and tied with rope and as such was born between Mattius and Radagast with as much state as a flight through the woods would allow. Behind them walked Faye, Calentoliel supported by Rothalle and finally Endereth, leading Rothalle's horse with one hand and holding her blade in the other.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:17 PM   #52
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

And so it was that in the fresh bitterness of the dawning day the group shivered together around a crude fire to discuss Radagast's idea of a post mortem. For a few minutes they sat in silence before Radagast spoke.
"Friends," he began, "I know this is a very difficult subject to discuss but that does not mean we should forget about it. Borin has died an awful, awful death and he deserves a hero's funeral." Radagast paused before continuing. "However, I believe it to be of the upmost importance that we check his body for any clues that may help us." There was silence again. Calentoliel had a glaring look in her eyes but she kept her head down. She hated dwarves and thought to herself 'why such as fuss for a mere dwarf', yet for the time being she held her tongue. Mattius finally spoke after much silence.
"Perhaps we should vote on such a move, is everyone okay with that?" The group nodded to him. "Okay then, who is in favour of a check of Borin's body before we bury him?" Slowly Rothalle and Radagast raised their hands. Endereth looked at Calentoliel who kept her hands down. Ender did likewise. Faye raised her hand next as did Mattius.
"Then it is settled," said Rothalle, "four to two. But may I ask you why you two oppose such a move?" she frowned at Calentoliel, as if dissapointed in her.
"It is a sign of dis-respect," said Ender.
"And you, Calntoliel?" asked Rothalle. The young maiden remained quiet for a while thinking what to say. Inside, she hated dwarves and wished them all dead but she did not want to upset the group and, she thought, Borin did help them when they were in trouble.
"I just don't like the idea of it, thats all," she said at long last.

Radagast rose to his feet and lent on his staff.
"Rothalle, this act must be done as soon as possible, I will need your help for this." Rothalle was looking at Calentoliel who was walking near by with Endereth and Faye. Rothalle spoke but did not take her eyes off Calentoliel.
"I am sorry Radagast but I must speak with her." Radagast looked surprised.
"So, do you think it is time to tell her?" he asked.
"Maybe," she replied as she stood up and walked away. Mattius, who was sat listening to this conversation, was beginning to get confused. He was going to ask Radagast but the old wizard spoke first.
"Come on my lad, I can not do this deed alone." Mattius stood up next to him and looked at his face.
"I will do this, although it may upset me greatly."
"I understand," replied Radagast as he led him off towards the bundle of blankets that contained Borin Iceplate's last remains.

Enderth watched them walking together. She wondered how many years older Radagast was than Mattius and yet they seemed to have an understanding of one and other. She watched them as together they lifted the weight and took Borin's body out of sight.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:00 PM   #53
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"We tamper with nothing. We show no disrespect." Radagast explained as they lay the body down on the turf some distance from the others. Vapour rose from his mouth in the cold morning air.

Mattius merely nodded. He had agreed that the old wizard must do as he thought best but still felt uncomfortable with the act.

Radagast lifted the cover and kneld down beside Borin. He addressed the corpse directly. "Please accept my humblest apologies for this dear, good dwarf. It will take but a moment or two and then we shall send you to a better place as befits a warrior such as you.
Come now Mattius," he changed his tone to speak to his companion. "I wish to check if this was the attack of Beast or Orc. What signs would you expect if you came upon the body of one who had been savaged?"

Mattius leaned over and looked at the still Borin. "His insides are gouged as if a beast attacked him."

"I know it pains you dear boy but look closer. Look how even the slashes are. Some implement did this." He held up Borin's cold hand to the light. "And see beneath his finger nails. A few long hairs, no fur. I'll keep these. They may yet prove useful. There's many a bruise but I cannot tell from whence they came. I am but an old man, prodding about in the dark. Either the beast took on a warrior's form when it attacked our good friend or it has others in league with it." He rose to his feet and waved his arms about himself in frustration.

"Do we tell the others of your discoveries?" Mattius enquired.

"Discoveries, bah. I have found out he was murdered. We knew that last night!" There was no disguising the torment in the old one's voice. "Let's be having him. It will only be a shallow grave as the ground is almost frozen but I'll rustle up some incantations that will protect his body from becoming carrion for goblins. I'll tell our fellows my skeletal information. I do wonder how the orcs came upon the body though. Are they involved? Does the Beast weild some power over them? Oh bother, every day brings further questions to my tired mind Mattius Man Elf. Come, my task is done. Badly, but done."
Old 10-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #54
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Radagast continued to mummur to himself under his breath. He was asking himself questions with no answers. Mattius sighed and looked once again at the dwarf's body. 'What a waste' he thought to himself as he began to lift him. Mattius reached under Borin's torso and bundeled him into his arms. As he elevated him up something fell off him with a great clash and Mattius looked down to see that Borin's axe had fallen from his belt. Mattius looked closer.
"Radagast!" he shouted. The wizard stopped his conversation with himself and turned around. "There is blood on his axe. And it is black." Radagast quickly walked over and carefully picked up the weapon by the handle.
"We must bury our friend quickly for I fear this to be of great importance." They exchanged looks.
"How could the Beast have got back to Borin, we were tracking him southwards," said Mattius.
"Strange indeed, maybe it is another's blood..." Radagast trailed off. "But whatever the answer we must discuss it with the rest of them but not quite yet. There are to be words out there that need to be said. We will take our time burying Borin's body and give him a worthy send off." With that the two of them carefully dug a shallow grave in the frozen land. The body was placed in and dirt covered it again. Radagast spoke a few words in the common tongue and a few in a language Mattius could not make out. After a long silence they picked up the axe and began the walk back to the others.

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 10-01-2002, 04:12 PM   #55
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

A half an hour had passed and Radagast and Mattius still hadn't returned. The wind picked up and Calentoliel shivered as she stared hard at Rothalle. Rothalle stood in the cold looking back at her. She seemed as if she wanted to speak with Calentoliel, but something seemed to hold her back.

Calentoliel wished Rothalle would spill out whatever she was hiding now. The one thing she hated the most was secrets. Especially secrets kept from her. Calentoliel always wanted to know every bit of information. And since the conversation with Radagast, she wanted to know these secrets more than ever. She wanted all the answers to her questions now.
You are not yet ready for those answers, Radagast had said. But when? When would the time be that she was ready?
The time is now, a voice said in her head. The voice belonged to Rothalle.
Calentoliel looked back up at Rothalle, who was now beckoning her. She then turned around and walk eastward, her cloak billowing behind her. Calentoliel smiled to herself as she stood up to follow.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:17 PM   #56
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

And suddenly Ender was alone again. She was not afraid of the forest. If the beast came (which it would not-- there was no sign of it anywhere; the wind carried no scent), she would have ample chance to escape. Her feet were quick and her sword newly honed. Yet still she felt a presence that was unfamiliar.

Ender dropped onto the ground suddenly, and she did not know why. A moment later, she looked up to see the towering figure of Death above her, Death whom she knew from that night in the cave. He knelt slowly until his face was at the same level with hers. Then he spoke, in that hissing tone.

"You do not strike. This is good. It is a sign that you are willing to listen."

Ender clutched the hilt of her sword like it was her life-force. "What conspiracy are you trying to weave me into? I want no part of it," she said in dangerously low tone.

Death laughed. He laughed of amusement, not of malice. "There is no plot here. I only mean to teach you the way to overcome the trickery of the Beast."

"You are the Beast, and this is part of your trickery."

"Nay, no Black Beast am I, nor am I in allegiance with it, nor do I wish its destruction only to cause my own treachery. If you will aid me by destroying it, I shall reward you and your companions with your greatest desires-- the healing of your hearts."

Ender was grabbed now, but she still retained her wits. "Who are you?"

"I am but the one you have befriended before. That is all I shall say, for the Valar permit me not to entrust more information unto you. But I shall tell you this: you have seen nothing. 'Tis merely a shadow, an illusion sent to trick your mortal minds, that you have witnessed before. But you shall have to find the rest for yourself. Should you ever need succour, I shall know. You need not alert me. But now I must bid you farewell. Search not for answers from the greater power, but answers within yourself." And with these last words, Death's figure vanished in a gust of wind, leaving Ender to wonder of her fate. If she had seen only shadows before, where was the real Black Beast? She knew she had to alert her companions of this.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 10-03-2002, 04:12 PM   #57
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

It was at that moment that Mattius returned, pacing purposefully through the undergrowth. Ender was relieved to see him, followed by the wizard who seemed preoccupied with wrapping something large in a length of cloth.
"It is done?" She asked of them.
"Aye, it is done." Mattius replied. "We have buried him."
"I am glad. What of the 'other thing'?" She enquired further.
"That is done too Ranger-Daughter." Radagast answered her. "I have perused his body as we agreed. Under a finger nail I found a long hair which I have kept. It may be folly or vital clue but I have kept it all the same. Mattius and I are in agreement that the blows that robbed out Dwarf-friend Borin were made by a blade, I guess at a sword."
"Therefore not the Beast?" Ender gasped.
"Perhaps not. It could be the work of the goblin breed but it is still my suspicion they came upon him in that dreadful state and presumed him part of our company. Suspisions do not answers give, my child of the greenwood. How do we not know the Beast can weild a weapon. Remember its shape alone is different to every eye that looks upon it."
Ender sighed. Mattius suddenly gave out an indistinguishable yelp, then gasped, "Rothalle and Calentoliel, where are they?"
Ender gestured into the trees a few paces hence. "They walked that way a little. They had secrets to discuss."
"Quick, we must herd them back to the fire. It is not safe to let them wander. Ender, I'm surprised at you letting them go!"
Ender was hurt by Mattius' accusing tone. "I have every faith in them. Besides it has been me in mortal danger in this place not those sisters of mystery."
"What do you mean Endereth of Wilder Places?" Radagast's voice changed its tone and caught the attention of both his companions, causing hairs on the backs of their necks to rise. "Explain yourself. Why should a young woman, a Ranger in all but name be in more danger than they?"
Suddenly Ender was unwilling to divulge the events in the clearing just before their arrival but the change in Radagast, his sudden focus instead of nebulous ramblings, made her feel she must. "Mattuis, go forth and fetch the others, no matter what the import of Rothalle's words to Calentoliel it now can wait. I fear what you have to say far more my child, far more."
Mattius did as he was bid. The girls were as Endereth had said, only a few feet away talking in whispers, using Rothalle's horse to shield themsleves from view. As he came upon them he saw that they had both been weeping. He hesitated a moment. Rothalle stared at him and for the first time since he had met her found a smile directed at him.
"Do not fear Mattius. We are just reacquanting ourselves. We have much to explain to you and our companions but first we must deal with this ourselves."
Mattius wanted to smile back but the gravity of his message prevented him.
"Quickly, we must gather by the embers of the fire. I fear something has happened to Ender, and Radagast bids her share it with us."
Old 10-04-2002, 12:11 AM   #58
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Calentoliel wiped the tears from her eyes. Happiness swelled up inside her, for her mysterious past had been revealed. She had finally found the answers to all the questions she had been asking her entire life. She knew who she was and had learned all she needed to know about her magic. But most of all, she knew where she belonged. Another tear trickled down Calentoliel's cheek as she thought, I have a family. And soon everyone else would know that.

But for now that would have to wait. What ever had happened to Ender was more important than Calentoliel's personal life. If something had harmed her, Calentoliel would never forgive herself. She and Rothalle headed back to the others led by Mattius.

Calentoliel was relieved to see that though she carried a worried expression on her face, Ender appeared to be alright.
Radagast then came forth. "I hope we have not disturbed your conversation."
Rothalle gave a small smile. "No, not at all. We were just finishing."
Radagast nodded. "That is good. But for now, we must hear Endereth speak. She claims she has been put into danger while you were away."

Calentoliel glanced around at everyone as Radagast spoke. Her heart skipped a beat. Out of the six in the company, only five were present. Someone was missing.
Ender wasn't even able to get out a word before Calentoliel cried out, "Wait!"
All looked at her. "Where's Faye?" she whispered.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:44 AM   #59
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius jumped up.
"Who was the last person to see her?" he asked looking in all directions.
"This morning," Ender repiled now also stood up, "whilst we voted on what to do with Borin." All the group was now up and Mattius was ready to begin searching the surrounding area before Radgast stopped him.
"Mattius," he shouted, "aren't you forgetting something?" The Man-Elf frowned and Radagast sighed. "There is something of extrme importance that Faye told you and I, everyone else needs to know now." Mattius nodded and the group stood in a small semi-circle around Mattius. Radagast was leaning on his staff with his eyes closed, thinking. Rothalle and Calentoliel stood close together breathing simultaneously and seeming, to Mattius, to be so similar they could be kin. He shook this thought from his head and looked at Endereth; tall and elegant yet dangerous and deadly at the same time. Mattius began,
"The hobbit, she is not what she seems." Ender frowned.
"What do you mean?" She asked.
"She told me that she was one of the Valar, given the hobbit form, I think there was more of them like her. She told me she was the last one of her kindred." Ender grunted a sarcastic laugh. Mattius' face grew hotter.
"I would think that you would take this more serious ranger, she entrusted to me her greatest secret and now I feel I have to reveal it." Radagast stepped foward.
"Now now my friends, there is no need for seperations in our camp for that will give power to the Beast. Do not fall to the attack of divide and conquer."
"I am sorry Mattius," began Endereth, "I just find it hard to believe. I never thought that I would travel with one person who has come from the Valar," she said motioning to Radagast, "let alone two."
"I for one believe her," said the wizard, "there are somethings in the world that just are and this is one of those things." Radagast streched himself to his full height. "So now you all know who Faye Took really is we must find her. Beware but do not be too scared for her. The Beast may be near but she is one of the Valar. Do not search alone, be at least in two's. Now let us not tarry here any longer, make haste!" With that Radagast led Rothalle and Calentoleil off and Mattius whilst Endereth searched for signs of Faye elsewhere.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:49 PM   #60
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The company searched high and low for Faye, but she could not be found. The last placed they looked wsa in a near by forest. Radagast spotted her sitting by a stream with her feet in. Her head was low and she was humming a song. 'Faye?' Radagast said walking toward her. She turned around and smilied and looked back at the water humming.
'Shes over here.' Radagast called to the rest of the company. 'Why did you leave us, Faye? With out notice?' Faye got up and shaked her feet out. 'I'm sorry,' she began, 'I just wanted to go wash my feet.' Radagast frowned at her. 'Next time you leave, plesae inform us.' Faye lowered her head. 'Alright.' she replied walking with Radagast back to the company. Everyone looked at her in a sort of odd way. 'What is it?' Faye asked looking up at everyone. 'They know.' Mattius said with his arms crossed. Faye looked at Mattius and tears started forminf in her bright green eyes. 'I told you not to tell Mattius. I was afraid to tell everyone and I know I can trust you. Why did you do it?'
Old 10-04-2002, 06:39 PM   #61
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Mattius looked rather guilty. "I'm sorry, Faye. I know you did not want your secret revealed, but it had to be told sometime. And after you had gone missing, it was important that I tell them."
Faye averted her eyes from Mattius, in an effort to ignore him.
"Mattius is right," Radagast said. "I myself instructed him to tell the others, for they must know your true identity."
"I must say I agree with you, Radagast," Rothalle said quietly. "That is why I believe Calentoliel and I should reveal our own."

Calentoliel swallowed nervously, for she was not sure if she wanted to reveal to the others what she had only just discovered. But then again, the others would have to know sooner or later, and perhaps it would be better off if they knew sooner.

"Are you sure you want to do this, night-sister?" Radagast whispered. "You and Calentoliel have only just shared your emotions to each other. Are you both ready to reveal your true selves to the others?"
"I am," Rothalle nodded. "How about you, Calentoliel?"
"If Faye's secret has been revealed, it's only fair if ours is also," she responded.
"Alright, then. Go ahead and tell them, Rothalle," Radagast said.
Rothalle turned around and faced the others. Calentoliel drew a deep breath and prepared herself.
After several moments of silence, Rothalle finally spoke. "I know you have all thought Calentoliel and I much alike. I have seen it in your eyes."
The others nodded in understanding.
"But we are even more alike than you think we are," she continued. "We are of kin."
Mattius stared at Rothalle. "Kin?" he repeated.
"Yes," Calentoliel nodded. "Rothalle is my sister."
Old 10-05-2002, 10:11 AM   #62
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast smiled widely. "Well met dear child. All the time I have travelled with you I have hoped this would be resolved. You have chosen your time well for now we need to be pulled together and not forced asunder."
"Sisters? That's truely amazing. Pray tell us all." Mattius cried in enthusiasm. Faye was still glaring at him out of the corner of eyes red from her tears but was also fascinated by the turn of events unfolding in front of her.
"If it seems amazing to you, think how I feel at this moment." Calentoliel chirped.
"We cannot explain to you as yet. We have not shared every detail together," Rothalle added. "Suffice it to say we have found each other."
"This is capital indeed," Radagast sighed. "Why are you so silent Ender?"
"Is nothing as it seems any more? Hobbits that are of the Valar, my friend is kin to a dark woman, Mattius is neither man nor elf, a dwarf is or was our associate, and despite being of the race of Istari you claim to be nothing more than a shepherd. What shall I discover about myself on this journey? I dread to think." Endereth sounded almost bitter.
"We will find the Beast my dear and if that salves some injury worthy of a Mordal blade, then so be it." Radagast replied.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:07 PM   #63
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

As the old wizard mentioned the Beast again thunder boomed and lightening cracked in the darkening sky. The rain began to fall and lashed with the strong wind.
"Quickly!" Mattius shouted against the weather. "We must get away from the river!" He began to lead them into the forest, small he thought, but a good enough shelter against the elements. For a good ten minutes Mattius led them on, thinking that the woods must be biggger than he thought. When he found a sutable spot he parked the group and began to make a small fire. It was bitterly cold.

The tall trees gave them a good shelter against the rain but the cold still prevailed. As they shivered they tried to keep their spirits up. Radagast told them of old stories and Faye hepled lighten the mood with tales of the Shire. After a while Radagast spoke,
"In the morning will we discuss what Mattius and I found on Borin but for now, let us at least have some sleep."
"I will take the first watch," said Mattius automaticaly.

The night passed with little let up from the weather. Mattius sat thinking to himself as he looked at the trees. He had lived half his life in woods and loved the sight of trees but these somehow felt threatening and dark. He looked back down at the group. Radagast seemed to be sleeping, Rothalle and Calentoliel were holding each other close, Faye was snoring softly and Endereth laid motionless on her back dreaming of the Golden Woods. Mattius sighed to himself and looked at the moon high above the treetops. It was long past the time he was supposed to wake Rothalle for her watch but he thought he would let her sleep.

It was close to dawn and Mattius was still on watch. He looked up to the treetops to spot the first light of day but saw something else. High above he could see a figure, jumping from tree to tree. Mattius squinted to try and get a better look and as he did the figure looked directly at him, shocking Mattius enough for him to jump a little. Slowly he began to reach for his bow but as he did Radagast stirred in his sleep and muttered in his dream. The tree swinging figure looked in the direction of the wizard and shot off like an arrow. Mattius thought about waking the others but decided against it, he would tell them when they awoke.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:49 PM   #64
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Calentoliel did not sleep well that night. Not only could she not get the fact that Rothalle was her sister out of her head, but she also couldn't stop thinking about the other things she had told her.

Calentoliel watched Mattius as she pretended to sleep. Dawn was nearing, and he had not slept a wink. Often Calentoliel had thought about taking over watch for him, but she never offered. Though Mattius had not slept, he did not seem the least bit tired. If he had wanted to sleep, he would've awoken Rothalle.

At the first sign of daylight, Mattius stared hard at the treetops. Curious at what he was looking at, Calentoliel sat up and also studied the treetops. Spotting what Mattius had been observing, she gasped. At the same time, Radagast muttered in his sleep, and the watched creature disappeared.

As Mattius turned around, Calentoliel laid back down and closed her eyes. But she did not remain that way for long.
"Mattius," she whispered, opening her eyes again.
Mattius looked at her, surprised to see that she was awake.
"About that thing that you just saw," Calentoliel stated.
"What about it?" he asked.
"Well, I saw it too," she answered. "But not for the first time. I've seen it before." Calentoliel paused. "It is the creature that attacked Endereth many nights ago."
Old 10-05-2002, 07:11 PM   #65
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender kept her eyes shut, pretending to sleep, her dark cloak wrapped about her. She listened as Calentoliel spoke of the apparition, the same that had spoken to her that night in the cave. She began to wonder... would all of them see it?

When Ender had said 'mortal danger' yesterday, she had immediately regretted it. The spirit that had come to her was trying to aid her, not make her suffer. But she somehow thought she would keep this to herself. It was a sign of things to come for her.

Finally, as she listened to Calentoliel speak, fatigue blanketed her like a heavy snowfall. She drifted back into the dreamworld. But just as quickly as the image of Lothlorien and her friends bloomed in her mind, it faded. All she saw was black. And then she made out a faint shape in the dark as a sliver of light made its way into the space. She was in a room with a high ceiling and stone walls. Looking around her, she saw her companions. In her right hand was a sword, in her left, nothing. Suddenly some force beyond her ability to fight against turned her head and eyes to face front. There, before her, was a nameless, formless shadow. It flickered and wavered, and she saw horrible images inside its 'skin.' As her eyes adjusted, she saw a small, black orb at the center of the shadow. Looking around, her eyes met with Rothallë's. Looking back at the beast, she was surprised to see it change form. It was now a catlike animal, black and sinewy, ready to pounce on any of them, although it remained so poised.

Curious, Ender made eye contact with Mattius and looked again back at the beast. It changed form. She looked at Calentoliel, Faye, Radagast. It changed form. Ender began to realize with horror what was happening. Then, finally looking backupon the beast, she heard the same thin voice. "Now to unmask your gift."

Ender saw a bright flash and saw the first shapeless, gaseous form of the Black Beast with a black core. Out of the core came a light, and it remained for a moment before it engulfed the company.

And she was back in the forest, standing awake.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:52 AM   #66
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast rose slowly and stood leaning upon his staff. "I fear I am old indeed for such night time shennanigans." He picked a few leaves from his robe and hair before replacing his hat upon his head. "I ache all over but at least I'm rested. How fares the rest of you?" He asked, staring straight at Calentoliel. She seemed to be staring into the middle distance and her face wore a look of disbelief.
"This place is strange," she said eventually when Radagast had been forced to wait several minutes for an answer.
Mattius was also a little distracted as he dusted the fragments of undergrowth from his clothes and inspected his weaponry. Radagast often noticed the under currents within the group and took heed. He did not know what had disturbed his companions, he himself had slept soundly, but knew to watch them carefully and offer support should they need it.
Endereth stamped about trying to get some feeling back into her legs after sleeping on the damp ground. Rothalle combed through her hair with her fingers and bound it loosely back. Only Faye remained asleep on the woodland floor. "Mattius, try to wake the Valar Hobbitess, she may have forgiven you by now," Radagast suggested.
Sure enough Faye was happy to see Mattius when first he shook her from her sleep, although she would have liked a longer rest but as she woke completely she remembered she was angry with him and after her initail greeting returned to sulking.
Radagast approached and pressed gently upon her shoulder. "He did what he believed to be right dear girl. We will make greater mistakes than this in our determination to do what is right. You also."
She made a noise that sounded very much like 'Hurrumph' and stood up. "You may be right Radagast but I still feel betrayed."
"Betrayed? You have not come close to being betrayed, I know very little in the greater scheme of things but I know this Faye Took, none of these people present will ever willingly betray you, now take a little breakfast, your kin in the Shire have provided for us well and for goodness sakes start talking to Mattius."
Old 10-06-2002, 04:11 PM   #67
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius drew out his sword Angmarth, Iron Doom and gently swayed it in front of him. He stared at his reflection in its blade but he didn't know why. In fact, it was his father who used to do the same thing with Angmarth, this was a connection to his past that he didn't realise. He sheathed it back at his side and carried on inspecting his arsenal of weaponary. Hidden on the back of his belt and under his cloak were two exquisite tomohawk axes that were gifts to the elves of Lorien from the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain. Mattius unhooked them to look more closely. The handles were dark bronze but the blades were glistening silver. Along the handles were beautiful inscription pictures of the Lonely Mountain and of the death of Smaug. They were hooked back into place before Mattius tightened his bow string and stretched himself out.

He began to look at the group, Radagast seemed to be the only one who had had a decent nights sleep, except for Faye of course but Mattius did not look to her for the moment but approached the wizard.
"Many things need to be discussed Radagast, what we found on Borin, Endereth's attack, and what I saw last night." Radagast frowned with the mention of what Mattius saw but spoke,
"You speak the truth young Mattius, now if you will allow me, I shall lead us all out of here to a place where we can discuss such matters."
"Lead on," said Mattius, tightening his cloak around him.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:19 AM   #68
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"Gather up your belongings my stiff and wearing companions. I think it is time we struck out from this woodland. The sun is up and steams the night's rain away. Today feels promising indeed." Perhaps it was the night's rest that had made Radagast feel more energised than he had been for weeks or even months or perhaps because he looked upon the others and saw the tiredness in their eyes and knew it was his turn to guide them. Mattius was their leader and Radagast was well aware that he would yet fulfill his destiny. He had watched him with the sword a few moments ago and for a second had seen another in his place. Radagast smiled. Even though he had no understanding as yet of the greater picture, he knew why Mattius was there. He stretched purposefully and turned away from their night camp. "I hope you are all in the mind for walking."
"Where are you taking us Radagast?" Faye asked.
"To stay with old friends."
"I wasn't aware we had any," muttered Calentoliel. "If this means more dwarves I won't be best pleased."
Endereth smiled at her. "As long as he isn't taking us to the Beast's parlour I care not."
They followed the old wizard, striding with purpose through the trees. The sun lit up the moisture in the air in beams between the branches, birds burst into song high above them and the smell of the earth as they stepped upon it was rich and satisfying. It didn't feel like a heavy march at all even though Radagast kept up a steady pace for them. Mattius walked behind him, his eyes scanning for danger at every step. Faye scampered along behind him, watching her companions as much as she did the woods about her. Rothalle and Calentoliel walked side by side where the path permitted it and whispered quietly together as they led the horse behind them. Endereth protected the rear but was locked in her own thoughts about the visitation she had, had and the sighting in the trees and therefore noticed far less than she should.
It was midday when they reached the woodland fence and stepped out into a large expanse of grassland, punctuated with small oval hills. Rothalle's horse pushed itself to the front and began to crop the fresh green turf.
"I do not recommend we cross this land although our aim is over there," Radagast explained and waved is staff diagonally across the meadows in front of them.
"Quite right," said Faye. "It's far too open, we could never hide from the beast if it came upon us there."
"Then again we'd definately see it coming." Endereth pointed out.
"Somehow I don't think it's the beast you have in mind Radagast." Mattius whispered to the old man who stood at his shoulder.
Radagast smiled. "Perhaps, it is living creatures that have always been my duty. Let us say I have no duties here." He whispered in return.
"We will keep to the forest boundary. You may find that to be somewhat like being between a rock and a hard place as we continue but is the best I can offer you." He announced and turned to the left to lead them toward the location he had indicated with his staff.
"I get the feeling this part of the journey isn't going to be as pleasant as this morning," sighed Faye.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:58 AM   #69
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Steam rose from the turrets of the hills and the high spirits of walking earlier that day seemed to have passed completetly and been replaced by feelings a threat and dread.
"I don't like this place much Mattius!" Spoke Faye. Mattius was surprised she was talking to him again and replied,
"Nor I, nor I."

At midday the company was halted by Radagast. They retreated a few feet into the woods to have some lunch which, for the most part, they ate in silence.
"This wood is old," said Endereth breaking the quiet, "perhaps even older than the Golden Woods!"
"Yes my dear, it is perhaps oldest of the woods left in middle-earth," replied Radagast. Mattius looked into the dark trees and something caught his eye. It was a small plant.
"And it seems to have good medicine plants!" he said pointing at the kingsfoil. "Excuse me, I will be two minutes, I have used up my supply of the weed and need a fresh batch." Radagast nodded as Mattius marched off. The weed was furthur than he had percieved and when he got to it he saw his companions as small figures in the distance. He unsheathed his sword on pulled the weed from its roots, thinking to cut off as much as he could. Yet something happened that stopped him, a beautiful small falcon fluttered in the trees above him and flew down to the forrest canopy. It landed right in front of Mattius' face and then with a hop, landed on the Elf-Man's left shoulder. Mattius did not feel threatened but still did not move. Then, to his astonishment, the bird began to talk.
Heed these words well young one for they are the words of Manwe! The protectors know of thee, soon they will make contact with thee. Do not fear them, they are my servants and will guide you well. Go forth Master of Angmarth, Firnlord son of Virnlord and meet thy fate with the Beast and remember, what has been spoken to you, no other must hear. Then with no noise at all the bird flew off into the darkness of the woods. Mattius stayed still thinking about what had been said, Firnlord, was that his real name? Protectors, Manwe? He was moved by the voice of Endereth from behind him and her hand on his shoulder.
"It is time to walk again Mattius, let us go."
"Aye," was his reply, "let us do just that."

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 10-13-2002, 08:21 AM   #70
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"Back to the forest fence I think," Radagast observed while taking a sedate look about him. "Aha, you are returned Mattius, Endereth was as good as her word when she said she'd find you in a blink. These woods hold many secrets do they not?" He smiled and nodded at Mattius who pondered inwardly if the wisard knew anything of the events that had just occured in the kingsfoil patch.
Again they clambered over the roots and back to the edge of the prairie-like meadows.
"I wonder why the ground's so uneven," said Calentoliel, unintentionally aloud. Staring across the grass as it waved like a green ocean in the breeze.
"I get the feeling it's probably best not to ask," Endereth replied at her shoulder.
"It's only a field." Calentoliel observed.
"If that were true wouldn't Radagast lead us straight across it to these friends of his and not stumbling along in the scrub and brambles at the forest edge?" Faye pointed out.
Their hushed conversation was ended when Mattius, some way ahead turned and noticed that he, Radagast, Rothalle and her horse were split from the others. "Hey, don't let us become separated now, hurry along. Radagast says we must reach his friends before nightfall!"
The others did as they were bid. There was something in the words 'before nightfall' that prophesised trouble in this peaceful place.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:23 PM   #71
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius strolled along just behind Radagast thinking whether or not to ask the wizard how far it was to this 'friends' house. No-one was really talking but Mattius could here the old bent figure in front of him humming under his breath. Mattius looked out onto the bumpy green plains and noticed that the fog seemed to have become more dense. For some reason the sight of the small hills troubled his heart greatly and made him shiver. He turned his gaze into the thickness of the trees. Manwe the voice said to him in his head again ...protectors... seek thee... do not fear them... Something flickered in the woods for a split second and stopped Mattius in his tracks. Rothalle stood next to him and asked him what was wrong. Unmoved he spoke,
"I thought I saw something just then, some sort of eyes seeking me." Rothalle looked troubled.
"From what you say it may seem that the Beast follows us," Mattius looked at her, "though I percieve that, like me, you do not feel its presence here. It is something else." She looked into the trees. "But it has passed, do not let it hinder your mind for the time being, whatever it was, it as far from being evil of heart." Mattius nodded but thought to himself if it was not evil, why was it hiding. And the voices, the voices, were they simply his memory playing tricks on him or were they something else? He rubbed his temples and shook his head before falling into line beside Endereth.
"How goes it Ranger?"
"Not quick enough, already the sun races to dusk." She was right.
"Lets hurry on then."

Mattius marched on wanting the group to make good time but he couldn't help looking into the woods again. This time he did not see any eyes or such but clear as a bell a voice spoke to him inside his head and it was not the same as the Falcon earlier, but a more friendly and magical voice, happy and sad with uncounted years. Firnlord, soon I will seek thee in private and Manwe's mind and counsel will be revealed to thee. Do not fear me, I am the Head Protector and will guide you. Mattius found a strange comfort in these words, particualry at his true elvish name being spoken. Content, he marched on as the last rays of the day shot across the plains.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 10-16-2002, 05:09 PM   #72
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

As the last thin line of the warm sun slipped over the horizon, Ender swallowed hard. "Of all the accursed places we could have been caught in at nightfall, this is by far the worst in the western regions of the world," she whispered to Rothalle.
"Why is that?" the woman whispered back.
Ender glanced about as the twilight folded on them like a dragon of deep blue hue stretching its vast wing over the land. The crickets sang in the bushes all about them. The place was riddled with malicious spirits that feared sunlight. That much she had heard. Finally, Ender turned back to Rothalle. "You would regret it greatly if ever you found out," she said, "As would I. Just be sure to keep close to your companions. We must never separate."
After that Rothalle said no more. Both she and Ender walked in front, their cloaks drawn tight about them, each with one hand clutching her hilt. Mattius had gone to talk to Radagast for the moment and they continued to trudge through the area quietly.

Everyone was startled by the sound of Radagast's voice booming out into the night. "Let us rest here for the moment," said he. They complied soundlessly, and as Ender searched in her pocket for a shard of flint, she was careful to keep a close eye on her companions. Finally, Calentoliel brought enough dry wood for a short fire. Ender struck the flint and the fire sparked. She took comfort in its light and warmth though she showed little, if any, emotion on her face. "Now," said Radagast, "let me count thy heads. I see one, two, three, four and five, including myself. But there should be six of us."
Ender's stomach lurched. "Oh no..."
Everyone looked about apprehensively, fearing the worst. But whoever was missing should have seen their fire...
Finally, Faye spoke in a timid, frightened voice. "Where is Mattius?"
Old 10-16-2002, 06:28 PM   #73
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

The five of them continued to look about, hoping to see Mattius appear at any moment.
"Who was the last to see him?" Radagast asked.
Calentoliel spoke up. "It was I. As I went to search for firewood, I saw him wander toward the woods. He seemed rather distracted and was whispering something. Of what, I know not."
Calentoliel hung her head in guilt. She should've given Mattius a warning to stay nearby or at least questioned where he was going. But then again, it was unnatural for Mattius to just disappear. He usually knew where he was going and was able to get back to the others. Something was not right.
"This is not right. Mattius would've been back by now," said Endereth, as if reading Calentoliel's thoughts. "Something has gone awry."
They all looked at her, knowing what she said was true.
"The woods are not safe at night," said Radagast. "We must find Mattius immediately before trouble finds him, if it has not already."
And so the company headed in the direction of the woods, in search of their missing friend.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:26 PM   #74
Olo Gamwich
Animated Skeleton

Olo Gamwich has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

"Faye...F-Faye...my, I am beginning to tire of searching for that poor girl." I'm afraid she might 'a been killed. But no! Why, that girl could live an age in these blamed woods and come home unscathed. Olo had staggered and stumbled through the nameless woods for most half of Blotmath and found nothing. Many a time he had considered heading home, but even when it got the better of him he found that he couldn't remember from what direction he had come.
But he had found more than he had expected in this cursed forest. It filled him with fear. It turned his heart to stone and left him huddled behind trees; never knowing what might creep up on him...or what he might accidentally creep up on. He had once been chased by a black shadow...he saw not what it was, but it was purely...evil. It shreeked into his heart and left him in paralysis for a moment.
But yet, Olo stood strong and searched long for his ill-stricken friend's daughter, Faye, who he also loved dearly. She had kept him company at his shop, constantly inquiring about his work...she was so innocent, so soft and sweet. And it broke his heart to learn of her disappearance.
Snap. Olo dropped to the ground. Flipping onto his back, with his blunt kitchen knife in hand, Olo stared up to see a tall, rugged-looking man...his sword pointed at his throat.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:46 PM   #75
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Faye ran as fast as she could through the branches of the black woods in search for Mattius. 'Mattius!' she cried, frightened of his odd disaperance. She stumbled on the hidden branches on the hard ground. It was almost pitch black, for the night clouds have hidden the white moon. Faye spotted a dark figure in the distance.'MATTIUS!' she called to the shadow. 'Faye?' he said turning toward her sweet voice. Olo had over heard Mattius and stood up moving Mattiuses sword away. 'Faye!' he cried out. Mattius turned back to Olo had threatened him with his sword again. Faye had reached Mattius and Olo. 'Mattius where have you-' Faye's eyes widened to see her good friend Olo standing infront of Mattius. 'Olo!' she cried happy to she her friend. 'You know him?' Mattius asked still holding his sword at his throat. 'Yes I do.' she said softly smiling. 'What are you doing here?'
Old 10-21-2002, 05:46 AM   #76
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Though it was dark, Calentoliel could see the three figures clearly as she approached them. Two of the figures she recognized as Mattius and Faye. The other, who was a hobbit, she had not seen before.
Mattius was the first to notice Calentoliel, and smiled as she approached.
"Hello, Calentoliel," he said smoothly.
"Mattius," she repled, not bothering to hide her relief. "We were worried for you. Where did you go?"
Mattius frowned. "You should have not worried for me. I did not stray far."
"Well, it is not safe to stray anywhere alone in the dark, whether it is far or not," she argued. "There are many dangers in these woods and....and....Who is this?" Calentoliel pointed to the strange hobbit, letting her curiosity get to her.
"Olo Gamwich is the name," the hobbit said proudly. "I am a friend of Faye."
"Well, Olo Gamwich," Calentoliel said. "You better go back where you came from. It is not safe-"
Calentoliel was interrupted by the stirrings in the trees to her right. The four looked in the direction the sounds and movements had come from.
"What was that?" Faye asked nervously.
"I don't know, but I will check it out," said Mattius, unsheathing his sword, Angmarth.
"And I will come with you," Calentoliel assured, patting the hilt of her sword.
Mattius rolled his eyes, looking rather annoyed, but he did not argue.
"Stay here," he told the hobbits. "We'll be right back."

Mattius and Calentoliel searched among the trees, but found nothing.
"The thing that made those movements," Calentoliel said. "Where do you suppose it has gone."
Mattius stood still in his tracks and put his finger to his lips to silence Calentoliel. Calentoliel obeyed and stopped where she was.
"Strange," he whispered. "Does it seem....unusually quiet to you?"
Before Calentoliel was able to respond, Mattius was pulled to the ground by something. He cried out in surprise, and Angmarth fell from his hand.
Calentoliel burst forth her song to help Mattius, but it was cut short when long, wiry hands took hold of her throat.
Calentoliel's attacker pushed her to the ground, still clutching her throat. Calentoliel gasped for air that she could not find. She tried to rip the enemy's hands free of her throat, but its grip was too strong.
Calentoliel was pulled onto her left side, immobilizing her left arm and losing any chance to gain access to her sword. She could not breathe at all, and would not remain concious much longer.
Desperate to be free from her attacker's grasp, Calentoliel pulled out her dagger with her free hand. She then thrusted the dagger backwards, piercing the creature's side. The creature howled in pain, letting go of Calentoliel. She turned around to face her foe, but it had already disappeared. She stood up, rubbing her bruised throat and taking large gasps of air.

It was then Calentoliel realized that she was all alone. Mattius was gone. Calentoliel spotted Angmarth, which was the only trace that Mattius had ever been here. She went over and picked up the sword, feeling horrible all over. She trembled, fearing what had happened to her friend.
"Mattius!" she cried, but to Calentoliel's own surprise, no sound came out of her mouth. She tried to speak again and again, but still nothing came out. Her voice was gone.

Calentoliel was still trying to piece together what had happened, when she heard footsteps approach her. She clutched Angmarth tightly, afraid to turn around.
"Calentoliel?" came a voice from behind her. "What has happened?"

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Brinniel ]
Old 10-21-2002, 02:42 PM   #77
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast tried hard to read her face in the failing light. Frantically she waved her arms in desperate movements. Still no sound came from her mouth.
"Oh my dear, dear child. We must leave this place." Radagast engulfed her in his arm and moved with surprising speed toward the others, half carrying half dragging Calentoliel under his arm.
The others stood back to back their weapons pointed outward, corralled against whatever had taken Cal. Radagast had strided off into they knew not what trouble but was amongst them once more. Mattius was with them not. Calentoliel whimpered in distress at his side.
"To the edge of the Barrows and make haste," Radagast shouted sharply. He was usually such a vague soul that his sudden focus suprised them all. Mattius staggered, dazed before them. There was no sword at his side but no one noticed in the upheaval. "Take hold of the hobbit Mattius, we must not leave him here."
They ran, stumbled, leapt or trotted toward the altered greyness that signified the edge of the forest. The grass was wet and soon they were all sliding together down the slope that led away from the dark canopy of the trees.
Rothalle's stallion who had remained waiting for them, cropping the turf peacefully was disturbed by the nature of their arrival and bolted into the mist that seemed to enclose about them. Rothalle called after him but to no avail.
They finally halted, all within a few feet of each other at the slope's foot. Radagast still had his long bony arm swathed about the the wheezing Calentoliel. Mattius had dragged the old hobbit free of the wood by the very hood of his cloak despite being barely able to stand himself. Rothalle was already upon her feet, calling for her mount. Faye and Endereth had landed close to each other. None had fallen on their swords and that in itself was a mercy.
Mattius assisted Olo in dusting himself down and turned to the wizard, who he could hardly make out in the heavy gloom. "We should climb back up to the fire and wait till morning," he wheezed.
"I am inclined to agree with you Man Elf but I see no sign of the fire's glow from here. The mist gathers close around us and we have no way of telling how far we have fallen. We could wander for enternity and never reach the fire again."
"I think you'd find we'd only wander till morning," Faye pointed out.
"I have said what I have said Mistress Took. We are in danger with every step or turn we make. Gather close all of you. Your lives may yet depend upon your neighbours as well as your own keen wit. Remember, my knowledge lies in living creatures, there are no living creatures here."
They did as they were bid and drew as close to each other as possible. Sat back against back in a rough defensive circle, facing outward into the blackness, staring until eyes became sore, trying to see what may come upon them. No one person kept watch and therefore no one person could stay awake as the night drew on.

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]
Old 10-21-2002, 09:34 PM   #78
Olo Gamwich
Animated Skeleton

Olo Gamwich has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Olo was stunned. This all had happened so fast; safe at last with Faye and a band of sturdy, wise-looking big people to fleeing through the woods with who knows what evils on his tail. "This is quite an affair you're in, Faye ma' dear." Olo turned to Mattius. "Sir...I can't thank ya' more. We had a bit of a rough meetin', but it's good to know there are people..." Mattius signaled to Olo to stop talking; it was a time to be cautious, without trouble from him...
Old 10-29-2002, 02:36 PM   #79
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

The night wore on and Rothalle found herself jolted awake as she hit the ground with a thud. She had slid sideways into sleep but where Mattius should have been to prop her upright there was a gap. She felt around her on the wet grass, the darkness so complete she could not even see her own outstretched hand. She panicked that she was left alone and grabbed about her wildly.
"Ouch, what is that?" Olo yelped, still sat in his place and until that moment dozing.
"Rothalle, is that you hobbit?"
"Aye, you're the dark one ain't ye? Where's that nice young man who were lookin' after me?"
"I don't know, there's a gap here where he should be sitting. Here, hold the hem of my cloak while I feel for the others." Olo did as Rothalle bid and she turned to feel in the opposite direction. Endereth and Faye were soon roused. Neither of them had seen Mattius either. Nor heard him in that silent place, but like Rothalle and Olo they too had fallen into a deep sleep. Eventually they worked round the whole ring, each holding onto the next until they were all accounted for but Mattius.
Radagast merely sighed. "So it has come to pass, then?"
"What has, and where is he?" asked Ender.
"It is not of our concern at present no matter how much danger he may be in. We must stay solidly here until dawn's light illuminates this plain again or all will be lost. We will then call upon my friends and make a thorough search. Although it pains me to say it, we can do no more for Mattius at present. He is armed and of stout heart. All we can do is hope those attributes are enough."
Calentoliel made an odd noise, her voice still denied her and knowing that Mattius' blade lay upon the forest floor."
Old 10-30-2002, 09:10 PM   #80
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender waited out the night in fear. Wrapping her cloak about her, she felt the blood surging through her veins, and it was tainted with black dread. Her eyes shifted slowly from side to side unblinking, and she saw that her companions were no less apprehensive. Looking over at the newcomer Olo, she watched him light his long pipe with shaking hands, and at the moment she wished she could take a puff herself. But she dared not ask.

Her longing was interrupted by a familiar shadow which crossed before her.