The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2003, 08:07 PM   #41
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

I had a huge crush on him from when the FOTR came out and some time in September. So obviously I visited his websites, read past interviews...I found out his Mum was Catholic on www.elijahwoodinc.com - that's also the website that disillusioned me as to his vocab and his behaviour. Consequently he's not in my good books [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Not that I know him personally, or anything...

~ Elentari
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:39 PM   #42
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Truthfully, I thought that part was just a put on. I have a feeling they just bleeped things out for the heck of it. *shrug* Maybe I'm just naive.

On another note, although Elijah Wood is kinda cute, I've heard that he could be a real jerk at times. I'm not sure about that, but at least he's a semi-decent actor.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:47 PM   #43
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes. He is a good actor. But I also know that he can be a total jerk sometimes.

I haven't seen the special ed. yet, so I will pass comment on whether or not they were beeping things just for the fun of it...but it seems like an awful waste of time, editing video footage that doesn't need editing.

~ Elentari
Old 01-26-2003, 08:53 PM   #44
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The fact that Elijah Wood is 21 (or is it 22?), with fully activated and americanised hormones and accompanying trashmouth makes him very, very average. If he is interested in spirituality (which I still suspect he is) then this is about the hardest time for a young man to maintain it. If you're the praying type, go for it; personally, I'd really like to see him come out of this stage of life and move on to something a little more profound... Prayer, applied generously as needed, is good, I think. I do have hope for the lad, long-term.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #45
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm sure he's still interested in his spirituality. We're not all perfect and the fact that someone has a potty mouth doesn't exactly mean that they're going to hell in a handbasket. We can't really know what's going on between him and God.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:04 PM   #46
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

His 22nd birthday is on the 28th of January, 2003. Owing to time-differences between countries I'm not going to say whether it's tomorrow, today, or yesterday.

~ Elentari, who hopes that the previous poster's hopes are not ill-founded. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I mean mark12_30's hopes, not Ardwenna's. You know what I mean.

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Bekah ]
Old 01-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #47
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
he can be a jerk sometimes

Who can't? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:14 PM   #48
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Well, this has taken a rather serious turn...

I usually don't think about celebrities on this deep a level, talking about their spirituality. Because, well, Hollywood is pretty vapid and I'm pleasantly surprised if what I know of a celebrity indicates that he/she isn't a total scuzball. Elijah Wood is one of those so far...potty mouth aside, everything else indicates he's really nice. (Oh great, now why do I have Christopher Lee's voice explaining the different meanings of nice in my head? Right, because I just watched the movie with the actor's commentary on...) Anyway, I notice that about him just because I'm always expecting to hear something to contrary (something concrete) and haven't yet.

Anyway...where did you hear that he's a jerk? I mean, besides from Dominic Monaghan, and that was a joke, you know.

(Edited because I'm not going to be put on Merandis' Misused Homophone List! Ha! Ha ha!)

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #49
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes, it is going rather off topic. But you don't see many Christian celebrities, so you? As to where I heard he was a jerk...that's just my summing up of his behaviour. But I did hear rumours of his using his spare time to hunt down some girl while he was in NZ - he actually went and visited her, I heard...anyway, that's just gossip, and I don't know whether it's true or not. And yes, I'm aware that that sounds totally unconnected...

I'm going to stop talking on this subject 'cos otherwise I have a feeling the Barrowwight will close this thread.

God bless,

~ Elentari

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Bekah ]
Old 01-26-2003, 11:30 PM   #50
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Weighing in again... personally I don't think it's off-topic. Frodo Baggins has impeccably pure vocabulary, and it's a disappointment to see standard college-age trashmouth suddenly erupt from someone I identify closely with Frodo. I'd rather that Frodo rub off on Elijah, rather than see Elijah tarnish the good work he's done portraying Frodo.

In fact it is a pet hope of mine that the Actors who portray these noble characters would actually absorb the mythos that Tolkien worked into the fabric of those characters.

Would I like Viggo Mortenson to become more like The Real Aragorn? Yes. (Please, God?)

Wood as much admitted that he loved the character of Frodo; I wish he had known more of the Real Frodo (who NEVER lies-- What's this "I carry nothing" (To Strider about the Ring-- a lie!) and "There is no other" (to Faramir about Gollum-- a lie!) Those two "fibs" distress me more than any other of the film's departures from the books, I think, because they so tarnish Frodo's incredible integrity. (In my mind, that's a worse "Dirty Mouth" than the bleeped-out four letter words... ) But that's PJ's fault, NOT Elijah's.

I like and enjoy the movies, I have seen TTT six times and will see it yet more times. I am not a movie-basher. But I **hate** that in the movies, PJ put lies in his mouth.

Frodo doesn't lie. He even feels uncomfortable when he misleads Gollum (to save his skin!) by saying that Sam is up waiting on the ledge-- true statement-- he just neglected to mention Faramir and his men. Notice-- no word of a lie; just not the whole truth; and it made Frodo miserable, even though he did it to save Gollum's skin.

Frodo, in addition to being polite, witty, decent, kind, faithful, good, strong, brave, and pure, is also a totally HONEST hobbit. Frodo was not a liar, by any stretch.

Do I think Tolkien would have been horrified at the change, at the insertion of lies into Frodo's dialog? Yes, totally.

Would I like to see Elijah become more like the Real Book Frodo Baggins, including all those characteristics I listed above? Well, yeah, totally. You bet I would.

(Please, God, do it. Go for it.)

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-26-2003, 11:38 PM   #51
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes. I'm going to pray for Elijah tonight, and I hope that he will become more like the book-Frodo.

~ Elentari
Old 01-26-2003, 11:48 PM   #52
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Interesting quote, Elentari. Interesting how sometimes Iluvatar does seem to choose scrawny little guys (with a big, God-fearing heart) to do his work; using the weak to confound the wise... didn't Gandalf say something similar?

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2003, 11:54 PM   #53
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I think so...and Galadriel (in the movie) says "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

I'm really glad Tolkien told the tale (or some of it, at least) of Middle-earth and C.S.Lewis of Narnia - it's nice knowing you have God known in another world as Iluvatar and Jesus in yet another world as Aslan. Wonderful, isn't it? God is known everywhere, not always by the same name, but he is known...
Old 01-27-2003, 12:17 AM   #54
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quite wonderful. I find it nice that different stories mostly have different Gods, such as Eru and Aslan. It would be horrid if all Gods in all stories were just God. Inventive.

Quote:
Would I like Viggo Mortenson to become more like The Real Aragorn?
Yes, yes I would. Have you ever seen him in an interview? He looks as if he will doze off any second. He needs to become more lively.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:17 PM   #55
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Considering what he's been through over here (NZ), I don't blame him for being permanently tired!!

Actually, I think he's just quiet. He is more or less like the real Aragorn.

Well, I don't think that they're different gods, as such, but I think that it's the same God by many different names. Which is probably what you were trying to say, Horse-maiden (correct me if I'm wrong).

I like your name, Mark 12:30. Last night I was trying to think what that verse was, and ended up looking it up. "You shall love the Lord with all your heart, and all your mind, and all your strength." Of course the song immediately popped into my head. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Has anyone noticed that in the FOTR, when Frodo has just fallen from the look-out, and Aragorn appears...that Aragorn says "Where is the ring" really suspiciously, which doesn't tally up at all with his next actions...or maybe it's just me.

God bless, (and Iluvatar and the Emperor from over the sea [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

~ Elentari

Old 01-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #56
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aye, Bekah. That is what I was trying to say...but thank you for clearing it up.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:05 PM   #57
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I think Aragorn says "Where is the Ring" with such suspicion because he suspected that Boromir would fall to its lure and try to take it. I think that's why Aragorn got nervous when he realised that Frodo was missing-- and Boromir was too. Remember that snowy scene on Caradhras, where Aragorn was ready to draw his sword to fight Boromir if he didn't give the Ring back? If he hadn't been there and Boromir had taken it, he would (I think) have felt like a failure, (even as he did when he thought that they had failed Merry and Pippin.). I think that when he asked "Where is the Ring" he desperately wanted assurance that Frodo still had it.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:12 PM   #58
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thank you. It makes sense now.

You're welcome, Horse-maiden of the Shire.

~ Elentari

P.S. I just noticed you addressed me as Bekah. I just want to say that I'm fine with that as well, even though I'm signing off as Elentari. 'Rebekah' is okay too. I don't have that as my public name though because apparently someone already has it...