The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Tolkien and everyday life

Alright, I watched a presentation on TV a while ago about Tolkien and the man who was speaking to the audience (college students) mentioned how some people wish they lived in Middle-earth. He began to discuss about why they would want that and why wouldn't they be content enough with the current life. Also, if you were blind and one morning woke up and found that miraculessly you could see, how would you feel? Thankful, no? Many people who aren't blind don't understand this and therefore are pretty much bored with how life looks.

I'm trying to sum up some of what this man said and I apologize if it sounds vague [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] , but my question is: ever since you read LotR or any other Tolkien book, did you look at life differently?

I'll start. I began looking at nature in a different way. Just treasuring the beauty.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:34 PM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This isn't the question you asked, but life in Middle-earth probably wouldn't be all that it was cracked up to be. Remember, somewhat medievle (yes I know) era: sanitation, medicine, and diet were not modern. The standard of living was lower for most people, because most people were peasants. I think the reason most people would want to live in Middle-earth was for adventure, but few Endorians had these adventures.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Tolkien

Yes, I have looked at life very differently! Almost everything reminds me of LotR, and I often find myself thinking thoughts such as, "What would Gandalf do?" It`s also given me a better understanding of war. I knew it was really bad, but as I`m miles away, I don`t really think about all the people dying, and stuff, but now, I see it as a much worse thing thanks to LotR. I think of the characters in LotR as my friends, and often "talk" to the pictures and posters on my wall. It seems to help me. Maybe I`m just over obsessed. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Indeed, I have. I too, have come to embrace nature more so than I ever did before I read LotR (and am now trying to get involved with as many environmental projects as I can) and I am contantly reminded of the writings of the Good Professor through everyday things. I don't think a single day passes when something just randomly reminds me of LotR.

Going along with the nature scene, I never paid much attention to the waters, the seas, but after reading the books, I sort of have a - I don't know, maybe a respect for the sea.

And often I think about how a certain situation I am in would be handled by different characters, or in Middle-Earth in general. Also, I can't help but burst out in a hobbity drinking song when great cheer and merriment is about. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Ponder my signature.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great topic, Rilwen! I understand exactly what you mean. I think the idea of Middle Earth touches a common thread within many people who seek a deeper connection to their world. To have a sentient forest is especially satisfying, even when the residents are sometimes not too nice (i.e., Old Man Willow). The idea that the land is alive and, in some cases, interactive brings far more possibility to a simple landscape, tree or stone structure. There is a deep feeling of history, not only in the doings of the Men, but also in hidden realms of otherworldly beings--Elves, Dwarves, Ents, Trolls, even talking birds! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It sort of anthropomorphizes and aestheticizes the entire universe, so that one not only sees an old tree or hears the winds, but can imagine the inner life of the tree and the Music of the Ainur wafting in its endless iterations along a random winter breeze.

For my own part, I read the LOTR in 1991 at the behest of my husband, who had been a fan in the 1970's. I inhaled it, reading rather too fast, but I enjoyed it, fell in love with Sam for his faithfulness and plain Hobbit-sense, and basically treated it like one in a series of good books I had read in my life. I didn't really think about it consciously for a long time. But years later, I had an experience that made it clear to me that Middle Earth had been stirred inside me and ruled parts of my subconscious that I was totally unaware of. In 1998, I had an "Ent encounter," and became attached to the small nuances of nature, the sounds of trees, the feeling of outdoor spaces, etc. Even then, it took me awhile to pick the books up again and re-explore the world that seemed to be boiling up out of my subconscious despite my obliviousness. I must thank the movies for prompting me to take the books up again and immerse myself irretrievably in Middle Earth.

I would say more, but there is so much more to say that I can't think of any of it at the moment!
Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien's books have helped me to appreciate literature and fantasy, and challenged me to be bolder with my writing and ideas. They've got a lot of meaningful principles but it's hard for me to say if they have shaped my life (probably because i read them at a young age) - but they've influenced me, that's for sure.

Quote:
I must thank the movies for prompting me to take the books up again and immerse myself irretrievably in Middle Earth.
Aye, I too.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #8
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow, I'm not alone! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So, what part of the books or which character intrigued you enough to change your life?

I was impacted by Sam and his love of all things green and how Tolkien used nature in a special way so much in his writing. Such as the Shire and the Lothlorien Elves lived among and in the trees. Also, how Yavanna dedicated almost her entire life to creating and nurturing. I’ve become more connected to nature now than I ever was before. I even talk to trees... They listen. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Yes, I have seen the world differently, but in a rather strange way. Let me see if I can explain, though it shouldn't be that hard to do so.

I find that I can classify people into LotR Character/Personality Categories because of the book. This is mainly because LotR has such distinct ways of portrayal that each character stands out as an individual. I know people who I've categorized as Denethors, Eowyns (oh, there are a lot of these), Gandalfs, Sarumans (one of my friends told me that I fit in this category), and all the rest. But that's only one facet.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:12 PM   #10
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

One thing I really see differently since I read the Books is war. I really never Imagined what it is like and I didn't realize that people were dying or getting wounded, people that had their own lives and families. I have found that war affects everybody, no matter who you are and where you live. Tolkien really puts this element of war into his books.

I also see nature differently. Whenever I go into a forest I think of all the things that Tolkien portrayed in Fangorn and Lothlórien Forests. I think that maybe trees do have a life of their own and they care when something happens to the Forest around them. I have actually gotten involved in trying to preserve forests and wilderness because of Tolkeins insights.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #11
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

of course! when i first read the Hobbit in 1999, i was totally obsessed! [ i was about 10 ] i always wished that i could be a traveler, and just randomly join bilbo and the dwarves on their adventure!!! i just was mad about the books really...i dont think i appreciated history as much as i did before reading the books...just te hunger to noe more...i dunno, lol... this was a fantasy novel, and in no way did i relate it to what it really would be have been like in that tyme period...and in response to some ones post about how it would be very much like medival times and how we wouldnt enjoy it....well, there is a fine line between reality and Tolkien! who cares if it wasnt realistic! i would still love it if i could just wake up and find miself in Edoras or Lorien or something! LOL. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:36 PM February 03, 2004: Message edited by: Eglaladiel ]
Old 08-10-2004, 05:58 AM   #12
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think I know what you're getting at. I totally agree with what everyone said. I think that everytime I read lotr, I appreciate things more. Such as the beauty of things, like seasons and nature and flowers etc. I think that lotr has helped me write my stories too (i write fantasy stories, NOT fanfiction) I guess it just makes you think about how great it would be to live in ME, so that you kind of imagine your surroundings are like those in ME, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:17 AM   #13
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Yeah. It changed me a bit.
After I've readthe part where Boromir became ring-mad and sorta lost his temper, I started to be a bit more patient.

My dad says that after I read the sil my old temper came back... maybe coz of Feanor....

Oh. also when I became interested in those poetries in the book.... I started appreciating poems. I've even begun studying Olde English....
then I've noticed, I can speak English fluently*blushes* cause Prof Tolkien barely made grammatic errors... that was a few years ago!

Last edited by yavanna II; 08-10-2004 at 06:21 AM.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote