The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #201
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
++ Holby

edit: x'd with Lottie on the previous page.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #202
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++Holby

I'm suspicious of Holby enough to vote for her to save myself.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #203
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post
Eonwe, if you've decided on a vote, if it's me I want you to tell me it in advance before you send it.
I honestly am not sure any more. You've really made me reconsider your guilt/innocence. The problem is that I don't know how bold you are as a wolf.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #204
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
++ Nerwn
Old 08-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #205
Echo
Pile O'Bones

Echo has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

++HOLBY,...!!!!!!!!!!!
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #206
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Someone give me a vote count, please.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #207
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass View Post
++ Nerwn
You need to bold your vote for it to count.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #208
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Boro -> Lottie
Nerwen -> Cop
Kath -> Cop (2)
Lommy -> Nerwen
Greenie -> Cop (3)
Lottie -> Holby
McCaber -> Holby (2)
Cop -> Holby (3)
Holby -> Nerwen (2)
Echo -> Holby (4)
Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #209
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Is there anyone else left to vote that's around now? I don't want to vote Cop and cause a tie.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #210
Echo
Pile O'Bones

Echo has just left Hobbiton.
if i dont make it tonight,..green leaves fall on my grave
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #211
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Is there anyone else left to vote that's around now? I don't want to vote Cop and cause a tie.
Shasta hasn't voted yet.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #212
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Shasta hasn't voted yet.
Well, it's too late now. I'm just going to leave it as it is.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #213
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I took a nap. My bad.

++Shasta
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #214
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
After losing both Legate and Dun, tempers had started to flare. Copper and Holby had each received their fair share of suspicion, and as Shasta stumbled from his bedroll, having just recovered from a nap, he heard the rest of the mages arguing, Holby and Copper standing in the middle of the circle with the rest of the group surrounding them.

"Nerwen is clearly at fault for everything," Holby stated flatly, crossing her arms. She could feel an uneven pulsing in her chest and pulled her arms a little tighter, wincing at the discomfort under her robes. "I don't know why some of you think I'm to blame. After all, some of you know me quite well. Am I really capable of such a thing?"

"You may not have been," Lottie offered, "but unfortunately if one or more of us is under the spirit's control, their own nature has been overtaken by another. I'm not saying it's you, but we can't rule you out either. I'm sorry."

Boro sighed, but nodded. "It could be anyone. Even you," he said, pointing at the lass who had just spoken beside him. "Even me. We can't be sure."

"All we can do," McCaber offered solemnly, "is try to purge the spirit from its host."

"Yes, because that's worked so well in the past...."

"Echo, being negative won't help anything," Nerwen said, turning a hesitant gaze to Copper. "You've been acting strangely."

"You're not wrong," Steve noted. "I thought something was wrong with you before, but....Copper, I think you're our best option."

"So you're just going to kill me? On a whim? That's a great idea. Wait. No it's not. It's a horrible idea. I don't want to die."

Steve's expression hardened, and he approached Copper, standing eye to eye with her as she stared at him with a solemn expression. He studied her face, slowly backing away once he'd apparently satisfied himself. "You are not right. I think she needs to go. It's the only way."

"I agree," Greenie chimed in. "If we don't try the ritual again, they'll band together and kill another of us in the night."

"It's the only way," Steve said again, though his voice trembled slightly, and he could no longer meet Copper's eyes.

"Steve, whatever you do, tell me first. I just want to...." Copper sighed, hanging her head. "I need to know what you're going to do. Whatever it is, just please tell me so I'm prepared for....you know. Death. Hopefully not death."

"I just don't know what's going on anymore!" Steve shouted, clutching his head in frustration. "Maybe we shouldn't do anything...."

"Of course you shouldn't do anything," Holby said calmly. "You won't do anything, because I am too powerful for you to touch."

"You know, maybe it's best if we- Excuse me?"

"I....am more powerful than all of you. My arcane might....my might cannot be contained." Holby rubbed at her chest again. The others were staring at her strangely, and she shook her head, her vision clearing as she met the gaze of Cop and then Echo. "What....what's happened?"

Lommy shook her head solemnly. "Well, that makes that decision easy enough, I guess. I'm so sorry, Holby."

"We're going to try to help you," Kath promised. "No one wants to hurt you, but you have to let us try this. We can free you."

"Freedom?" Holby shrieked. "I will have it, and you will not prevent it! You won't touch me! I won't let you!" Suddenly her eyes rolled back in her head and the others stared at her as she began to shake. Her hands pulled apart her robes to reveal a pulsing white mark, the tips of what were clearly fingers visible just above the collar of her dress. "I....will not....be denied!"

"Get down!" Steve shouted, tackling one of the other mages just in time as white bolts from Holby's body shot out in all directions.

When the wizards looked up, Holby's body was gone. All that remained of their sorcerer friend were her robes and her staff, which fell to the ground with a clatter, rolling until it came to rest at the feet of a bewildered Shasta.

"....Someone should explain what just happened."

Casting:
Shasta
Kath
Nerwen
Cop
McCobbler
Lottie
Green
Echo
Boro
Lommy
Steve

Cast aside:
Sally (moddess)
Morsul (collateral damage)
Legate (wizard)
Dun (wizard)
Holby (sorcerer)

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 08-26-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #215
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Echo tossed and turned, unable to rest for fear that the sorcerers would make tonight's sleep eternal. Such fears were only heightened as the sound of a rock skittering across the land caused Echo to look up. "....Hello?"

"....Hello?"

"Uh....hello. Who's....who's there?"

There was nothing for a moment, and then Echo heard a soft voice from beyond the darkness.

"Uh....hello. Who's....who's there?"

"This isn't funny!" Echo called, glancing around to find the source of the voice.

"This isn't funny!"

"This isn't funny!"

Echo blindly fumbled around until fingers met wand. The implement's tip lit up, but the glow was immediately snuffed out by a cloud of darkness.

"What are you doing?"

"What are you doing?" came the reply. The breath of the speaker warmed Echo's neck, but just as quickly the sensation was gone. "We're here," the voice rasped, "to ensure that we have no problems with repetition."

"Repetition?"

"Repetition...."

"No, really, repetition?" Echo said, hesitantly sliding backward. "What do you mean repetit- Oh. Oh dear."

"Oh dear."

"Oh de- No, stop it. To business. We're here specifically to ensure there is no repetition of last dusk's events. And for that, we'll need to eliminate any, shall we say, remaining echo of suspicion."

"Echo of suspicion."

Echo jumped backward, but the spark from the attackers' weapons lit the area just long enough for Echo to see two robed figures before everything went black.

~~~~

The next morning, as the group awoke to find Echo's bedroll unoccupied, they failed to notice that one of their number had acquired the now silent Echo's wand.

"One more of us down," sighed one of the wizards.

"One more of us down," whispered a sorcerer, dropping Echo's wand into a bush before solemnly joining the others for breakfast.

Casting:
Shasta
Kath
Nerwen
Cop
McCobbler
Lottie
Green
Echo
Boro
Lommy
Steve

Cast aside:
Sally (moddess)
Morsul (collateral damage)
Legate (wizard)
Dun (wizard)
Holby (sorcerer)
Echo (wizard)

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 08-26-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #216
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Now that one, I definitely think was the sorcerers hoping to get the seer...hehe.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #217
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Well, my gut reaction is that Echo was killed as a possible Seer. Especially since I seem to recall that there was something that could be read as a hint. I'll try to find it.

As for the voting, all I can infer right now is that McCaber is probably not a sorcerer. It don't know whether or not it makes Cop look better, though. But if she is a sorcerer, she's pretty brutal (unless Nerwen is also one), though there was little choice by that point.

edit: x-ed with Boro
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #218
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Ok, I've started rereading Echo's posts, and really, practically every post could be read as a Seer hint if that's what you're looking for.

And the thing is, I think that is the main point behind this. To just make everything more confusing. Between all the people he suspects and people he points at in Holby's list, and possible bluffs and double bluffs from the sorcerers, the waters are really muddied.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #219
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

I do think it should be addressed though.

If the sorcerers thought Echo was a seer, then Cop and Greenie are the most obvious answers for possible wolves (which funnily enough have topped my suspicion list since D1, but I won't let that cloud this post). Of course, it would also be risky to kill with such links - though Echo was enigmatic, Cop was next to Holby in the suspicious list, and Greenie a step below (and also pointed at in the annotated Holby's list) - though maybe not as risky as being found out. And of course if they're not, the sorcerers could just want to frame them.

On the other hand, it could be a 'let-them-think-we-think-Echo's-a-seer' kill, in which case it points to Kath. If Echo were a Seer, the most likely dreams would either be Kath as innocent or Holby as a sorcerer. Given the sudden sudden change, and lack of Holby suspicion on D1, the former would be more likely, so by killing Echo, Kath makes herself look amazingly innocent (i.e. makes us think the wolves thought her innocent).

I might be overthinking this though... I don't think I've tried such a complex plan as a wolf.

Anyway, that's it for now; hopefully when I wake up there'll be some proper discussion going on.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #220
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Steve–

Since the person to whom Echo suddenly switched suspicions at the start of Day Two, and continued to pursue throughout the Day without giving any concrete reason, all the while muttering “I fear lest I be killed for my knowledge...” etc, etc. was, in fact, a wolf– well, it looks pretty straight-forward this time. I don’t think we need any elaborate theories to explain it– it would have been very surprising had they not killed her*.

Or him. We still haven’t cleared that one up, have we?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #221
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Steve–

Since the person to whom Echo suddenly switched suspicions at the start of Day Two, and continued to pursue throughout the Day without giving any concrete reason, all the while muttering “I fear lest I be killed for my knowledge...” etc, etc. was, in fact, a wolf– well, it looks pretty straight-forward this time. I don’t think we need any elaborate theories to explain it– it would have been very surprising had they not killed her*.

Or him. We still haven’t cleared that one up, have we?
Basically, this. QFT.

I should be back soon with some actual comments, but this just begged for a "^" post.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #222
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Nerwen: You know what? I'm going to PM them and ask, 'cause I really don't know.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #223
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
One evil sorcerer down, an unknown amount to go.

I'd say this makes both Lottie and I look pretty innocent. I'll do a second readthrough and see if I can glean any hints from the post history soon enough.

And yes, as far as I know I'm on the village's side and I haven't necessarily lost yet. While this makes me innocent, this absolutely does not guarantee I know anything about any situations so please take my opinions with all the lack of credibility they deserve.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #224
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
I'd say this makes both Lottie and I look pretty innocent. I'll do a second readthrough and see if I can glean any hints from the post history soon enough.
You maybe, but I'm not sure how it makes Lottie look good? Maybe as the starter to put Holby as a lynch possibility, but of the 4 votes for Holby, it is the most likely spot for a wolf-on-wolf.

Cop's was for self-preservation, which Cop said herself. So, it doesn't make her look better. But it also doesn't make her look any worse than all the suspicion yesterday.

There may be better trails to follow than the Holby voters, at least for today. As a "job well done" nod for lynching a sorcerer.

I wouldn't put Kath in the no-doubt innocent category, but she's the one I'm going to trust the most for the time being (stop getting so confused! ). If they had gone after Echo as the seer, then the sorcerers would have to think everything Echo said was right. (That being Holby = sorcerer and suddenly backing off Kath after the Day 1 vote)
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #225
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I wouldn't put Kath in the no-doubt innocent category, but she's the one I'm going to trust the most for the time being (stop getting so confused! ). If they had gone after Echo as the seer, then the sorcerers would have to think everything Echo said was right. (That being Holby = sorcerer and suddenly backing off Kath after the Day 1 vote)
But they could hardly have thought “Seer”Echo dreamed them both on the same Night, Boro.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #226
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Echoalysis
(Longer posts will be extracts only.)

Day One

#26. [Replying to Zil (#3) and Coppermirror (#5) who both mentioned not having played with Echo or Holbytlass before]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo
Hmmm mentioned twice only out of not being known, which is where the worst kind of fear birthed from,...(lack of knowledge). but everyone has some knowledge of the behaviors of others....except me.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
i did want to come to the village square and say hello before returning to my humble abode and unpack and think and become paranoid and...
such a public display just to crawl back to your condemed squanders, what do you have to think and be paranoid about?...
#49. [The infamous vote-post]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Because it doesn't make any sense to say it! It's the same as if I posted "bananas are yellow". Why would I do that? Except to maybe appear like I was saying something while I wasn't?
This is quite a good point, kath is suspicious with all the nonsense chatter and trying to point out that she's "innocent
". She doesn't sit right with me.
++ KATH
#62. [Bolding vote]
Quote:
to be clear....lynch the witch ++KATH......or wolf in this matter of business.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun
Wait a minute, why are you voting for Kath on the basis of something she didn't even say?
I miss quoted with my clumbsy fumbling,..im a blind deaf (and stupid) black smith with my hands full,....or perhaps im just saying this???
Actually... after looking at all this, I’d say it does speak for Kath’s innocence (particularly #62). Not because Echo was killed last Night, but because he/she wasn’t killed the Night before. Er– whatever Night that was– this being an important point. Apparently we began with a Day phase. In that case the Seer may have had no initial dream– if this is so, and the wolves knew it, it somewhat weakens the case for Kath.

Would our moddess be so good as to clarify the matter?

–Meanwhile, as you see the only other person Echo mentions at all on Day One is Holbytlass (wolf), and this is just banter– though it does seem to carry a tone of suspicion.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #227
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

White-Hand Ask and ye shall receive....cookies

The game began with a Day phase, though those with nightly powers were able to use them (with the obvious exception of the sorcerers' kill) before the thread opened.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #228
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Since I got pushed into saying what I did at #196, I think I'd better clear the matter up in case that ends up inhibiting the reasoning of innocents toDay. I'm either the Protector Wizard or the Pact Mage. I'm not the Aura Reader. I'd rather not say which of the other two I am at this point unless it's strictly necessary.

I'll be back later - I've been working on an analysis of Echo, and I intend to do one of Holby too.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #229
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Note: I had to leave halfway though composing this, hence the delay. No idea who has posted in the meantime; I am afraid to refresh for fear of Serverman, Lord of the Code.

Echo, Day Two
#105 [First post of the Day]
Quote:
Are we aloud to post now?
if we are i would like to say, may Inzil rest in shredded pieces.
hmmm i was mildly suspicious about him, but no matter now.

the reason i whatch my back at night
holby~ its not just me noticing her weird QUIET behavior but youd know better than me, im just a new nobody
cop~ hes either really good or really bad,...but im still havent desided which. (hopfully good)

mildly suspicious of
green~ill have to pick a better reason than the one ive got,...you dont sit right with me though.
AND everyone else.
[u]other[u]
Boro~ what can i say other than hes nice and welcomed me, i have no reason to suspect him........yet.

well ponder my list. think of me evil or think of me not,..i dont care.
but youll think of me the way you think when you think it. but if i die today or tonight you will get no further.
You see what I was talking about– this post just by itself could well have been enough to get Echo killed!

#108.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror
do an analysis of each person. I'm looking at past games to check on things about some people's behaviour.
as am i cop,
hobbits dont live in dirty,nasty, wet holes filled with the ends of worms,...but do holbyts?...........
More suspicion of Holby.

Quote:
i patiently wait for the bantering and finger pionting..... though its quite late but no worry i eagerly wait!!! (well not the finger pionting if its at me)
#114. [Replying to me at #112, when I asked Echo to explain the Day One vote.]
Quote:
hmm all you need know is i dont think kath is quite important anymore,...does this have profound meaning?!,...i guess if you want it to,..but i find someone else making my skin crawl,....
And more. This seems to me more easy to interpret as “Forget Kath, I’ve definitely got a wolf this time,” than as “I dreamed Kath and she was innocent”.

#128.
Re-posts Holby’s Day One suspicion list, pointing out that the names are grouped by number of vowels/syllables.
Quote:
it was supost to be a joke,.... but shes posting vague things just so she cant seem suspicious or slip up.
Yet more.

#129.
Quote:
perhaps you might think my last post gives her justice that shes innocent? but i was observant enough to figure out her list. though dose not explain why she wouldnt just tell us about the list or perhaps i am wrong?....
And so on...

#161.
Quote:
all this talk of reasoning...makes my head hurt (quite litterally) i voted kath under mild suspicions ...and due to other people talking about her,...makes no sense to vote for someone if your going to be the only one....(like voting for the third presidential party),.....and its not easy voting when your in the back of a moving car thinking the DL is in minutes,..so i hope very dearly that is enough reasoning.

i will try to muster up a better reasoning of why i suspect Holby,...right now the best way to put it is a very strong gut feeling.....
And so forth... Note, by the way, how Echo more-or-less admits needing to come up with a case to justify an existing suspicion.

#175.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Sure and that's fine. But other people had been talked about at that point as well. So why were you quite so determined about me? Legate was being talked about in particular - you didn't even mention him. Greenie had a couple of mentions etc.
because i didnt care about legate and i still dont he didnt make me suspect him much.......as for greenie,.....well ill save my fingerpionting for later,..
of course you probebly want an explenation for that last sentence,...ill get back to you on that.
Very cryptic– I suppose Echo had noticed something about Greenie, but never got around to saying what.

#179.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Likely packmates
- Copper and Echo (what I said about Cop speculating about Nightly talk)
hmmm interesting,..but sorry doll.
and the part about me and holby,...that was cute,..i laughed
I think this refers to #170, where Lommy lists Echo and Holby as “unlikely packmates”.

#205.[3rd vote on Holby]
Quote:
++HOLBY,...!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
if i dont make it tonight,..green leaves fall on my grave
“I’m the Seer, I’ve done my job, farewell... Unless you feel like protecting me, Ranger.” That’s how it would read to the wolves, I imagine. Unless you take “green leaves” to be a supposed “Seer-hint" regarding Greenie (cf #175)– but it’s so weak compared to all the Holby-stuff that it would have to be no more than an intention to dream her next.

Well, that had to be done. Fairly useless, though. As you see, I’ve ended pretty much exactly where I started: I believe they thought Echo was a Seer who had dreamed Holby. There is little else to be got from Echo’s posts, except that, as already mentioned, his/her survival after the first Day is a point in Kath’s favour.

One thing I have noticed is that nearly all Echo’s posts have a white tree icon, while the first has a green leaf. Possibly the wolves thought this meant something. Possibly they were meant to think this– I am leaning now towards the idea that Echo may have been deliberately acting as bait. A very unusual ploy for a complete newbie to try– but I just honestly can’t work out why else an ordo would say half the things Echo did.

EDIT:X’d with Coppermirror & moddess.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-27-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 AM   #230
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
The game began with a Day phase, though those with nightly powers were able to use them (with the obvious exception of the sorcerers' kill) before the thread opened.
Sally, there's one thing I'd like to clarify about that. Does that mean that the wolves were able to PM each other prior to the first Day phase?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #231
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

And one more thing, for people in general. I've just thought of something which worries me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any actual proof that Legate was the other Lover, is there? We know that there's no Night kill the Night after the Lovers reunite, and that means that hasn't happened. But if the other Lover is still alive, they already know who McCaber is because he's come forward, and maybe they could put off reuniting until an opportune time, as long as they were still both alive.

I'm concerned about what it might mean for the village if Legate wasn't the other Lover. Can anyone offer their thoughts here? I'm quite unsure about this topic, having not played in a game with Lovers in it before.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #232
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Well, that had to be done.
Really? For someone who talks about unnecessary posting, the last two posts were an awfully long way of saying 'a Holby dream was more likely'. And then there's this point:
Quote:
Actually... after looking at all this, I’d say it does speak for Kath’s innocence (particularly #62). Not because Echo was killed last Night, but because he/she wasn’t killed the Night before. Er– whatever Night that was– this being an important point. Apparently we began with a Day phase. In that case the Seer may have had no initial dream– if this is so, and the wolves knew it, it somewhat weakens the case for Kath.
What you're saying here is that the sorcerers would rather kill a new player whose playing style they know nothing about and which gained him/her a lot of suspicion and confusion instead of someone who everyone thought was innocent and was fairly no-trace after the first day? Considering the normal depth of your analysis, this looks like it could be a sneaky way to make it look like you didn't consider the situation fully to look more like an innocent. I'm starting to see where the Nerwen-votes are coming from. And Holby voting for you as she died does not help.

Not to mention that I thought we'd already agreed on the Holby-dream being the most likely. I don't think anyone actually suggest a Kath-dream to be more likely, except for me within the context of a 'make-it-look-like-we-though-Echo-is-a-seer' kill.

edit: x-ed with Cop
Old 08-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #233
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
And one more thing, for people in general. I've just thought of something which worries me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any actual proof that Legate was the other Lover, is there? We know that there's no Night kill the Night after the Lovers reunite, and that means that hasn't happened. But if the other Lover is still alive, they already know who McCaber is because he's come forward, and maybe they could put off reuniting until an opportune time, as long as they were still both alive.

I'm concerned about what it might mean for the village if Legate wasn't the other Lover. Can anyone offer their thoughts here? I'm quite unsure about this topic, having not played in a game with Lovers in it before.
It shouldn't worry you, at least not yet. And now that you've said it publicly, it changes everything...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #234
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Really? For someone who talks about unnecessary posting, the last two posts were an awfully long way of saying 'a Holby dream was more likely'. And then there's this point:
What you're saying here is that the sorcerers would rather kill a new player whose playing style they know nothing about and which gained him/her a lot of suspicion and confusion instead of someone who everyone thought was innocent and was fairly no-trace after the first day?
No. I’m saying that if Kath was a wolf, Echo on Day One would have probably looked more like a gifted to the wolves than Inzil. This is a very simple and obvious point, such as I should have expected an experienced player like yourself to grasp quite easily. The fact that you don’t– or at least you claim you don’t... interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Not to mention that I thought we'd already agreed on the Holby-dream being the most likely. I don't think anyone actually suggest a Kath-dream to be more likely, except for me within the context of a 'make-it-look-like-we-though-Echo-is-a-seer' kill.
I thought I had better do an analysis just to settle the matter, and just in case there was something more to be gleaned. There wasn’t, but how could I know that until I’d done it?

Again, a simple, routine procedure. And yet, according to you, a sign of wickedness. Really.

Quote:
I'm starting to see where the Nerwen-votes are coming from.
You mean Holby..., right?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #235
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Holbalysis

Holbytlass, Day One.

#18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby
i have been gone long in my travels and only now return.
some are known but most aren't.

i did want to come to the village square and say hello before returning to my humble abode and unpack and think and become paranoid and....

Quote:
how 'bout voting for these confusing debaters of the "rule of three"-too bad we cant "lynch of three"

highly suspect
Shasta
Nerwen
Green
Boro
Steve

very suspect
Kath
Dun
Cop

much suspect
Lottie
Echo
Legate
Lommy

innocent
McCobbler

it should be plainly obvious my reasonings!!
Echo believed this list was arranged according to number of syllables in the players’ names. Holby’s next posts tends to support this.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin
Argh. Something's come up and I'm not going to be able to spend the time I'd like reading what's happened today.

Moddess Sally, I abstain from voting today.
don't like abstaining voters, esp day 1 where any reason is mostly justified because it is day 1.

the wagon jumping done here by legate and little green to lommie's suspicions of copper is unsettling. [arranging suspect list to first letter of names]
So... one of those Holby “suspects” here is an innocent (Legate). It’s a common enough wolf-ploy to pair one’s fellow’s name with that of an innocent, and that could have been what she did here. Or not. It would be quite a stretch to call it an actual point against Greenie.

Quote:
a three way tie!?!

++LEGATE

since out of the three hes suspicious to me
This was the third vote for Legate, bringing him to a tie with Kath. Other candidates were Cop (2 votes) and me (1 vote). Note that Holby’s stated intention here is to break the tie (as was Lottie’s in voting for Kath). If we take that at face-value, then their votes crossed and Holby did not realise Kath had just got a third vote. However, Holby’s vote is timestamped two minutes after Lottie’s.

Where am I going with this? Not sure... just looking for signs of our known wolf showing a preference for one candidate over another. Hmmn. Inconclusive, I’d say.

Holbytlass, Day Two
#130. Post consists entirely of the “Stick out tongue” emoticon, in response to a comment of Lottie’s (#101) the Day before. Not very informative, but it does rather sum up Holby’s attitude!

#133.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Zilalysis

They could, of course, have been afraid he was about to do so, meaning we should probably take a closer look at those of whom he expressed suspicion– Lottie, Kath, Holbytlass and Echo.
ooh, good thinking-even if i'm on the list

but then they will start looking at me..buts its helpful no matter what..but i hate people looking at me..we must find sorcers and kill them..cant we just leave,again..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
What this was probably not: an attempt to frame Lottie (cf. Coppermirror #106). For that to work, the murdered player needs to have behaved in a way that would, in theory, make him look like a major threat to the player being framed. Preferably, he needs to have said things that could have made him look like a Seer who had dreamed her guilty already. There’s none of that in Zil’s posting.
is this a subtle protection from those in league?

yes, maybe if one checks out #21 and #30, could be deflection..ooh using fancy words-and i just said that..but i was agreeing

must huddle and think and look at others
Um... Holby is an actual flesh-and-blood person, right? Not, say a sock-puppet of Nilp’s, by any chance?
Anyway, #21 and #30 are two Day one posts of mine. I’m not sure what she’s getting at, though– I think the idea is supposed to be that Lottie and I (and Coppermirror?) are packmates, raising points against each other only to dismiss them, or something like that.

Then Holby vanished for a long while, and voting happened.

When she returned, the tally run thus:

Boro -> Lottie
Nerwen -> Cop
Kath -> Cop (2)
Lommy -> Nerwen
Greenie -> Cop (3)
Lottie -> Holby
McCaber -> Holby (2)
Cop -> Holby (3)

Holby then cast her own, final vote:
Quote:
++ Nerwn
Apart from the fact that this “Nerwn”, whoever she may be, is not listed among the players, the vote isn’t even bolded. And yet Cop already had three votes. Had Holby resigned herself to death? But why? With only two players left to vote, she might well have survived if she voted Cop.

Obviously, this looks pretty bad for Coppermirror. This may, however, have been the idea (i.e. Holby thought she hadn’t long regardless, and thought it worth it to implicate an innocent). Or she may have panicked/lost count of the votes. Or just not cared. Very hard to know what Holby’s aims were at any point, really.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-29-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: word left out
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #236
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Oh yes–

I haven’t finished with you, yet, Mr Eonwe.

This is what you actually said, earlier in the Day (my bolding):

Quote:
I do think it should be addressed though.

If the sorcerers thought Echo was a seer, then Cop and Greenie are the most obvious answers for possible wolves (which funnily enough have topped my suspicion list since D1, but I won't let that cloud this post). Of course, it would also be risky to kill with such links - though Echo was enigmatic, Cop was next to Holby in the suspicious list, and Greenie a step below (and also pointed at in the annotated Holby's list) - though maybe not as risky as being found out. And of course if they're not, the sorcerers could just want to frame them.

On the other hand, it could be a 'let-them-think-we-think-Echo's-a-seer' kill, in which case it points to Kath. If Echo were a Seer, the most likely dreams would either be Kath as innocent or Holby as a sorcerer. Given the sudden sudden change, and lack of Holby suspicion on D1, the former would be more likely, so by killing Echo, Kath makes herself look amazingly innocent (i.e. makes us think the wolves thought her innocent).
Here it is, plain and clear: you stated that Echo’s death potentially implicated three players (with “Holby as sorcerer” being the least likely “dream”).

I took the (considerable) trouble to examine the evidence in some detail, in the course of this demonstrating why it didn’t actually support your conclusions.

This, according to you, is a highly sinister course of action, not to mention useless, since–
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
we'd already agreed on the Holby-dream being the most likely.
Who’s “we"? You certainly hadn’t.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #237
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:

Such a pity Zil is no longer with us. I’m sure he’d be very eloquent on the subject of What Games with Lovers in them Are Like.

Seriously: if Legate wasn’t the other lover, then McCaber’s lying his head off. Why would the other lover trust him (as in your scenario)?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #238
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
No. I’m saying that if Kath was a wolf, Echo on Day One would have probably looked more like a gifted to the wolves than Inzil. This is a very simple and obvious point, such as I should have expected an experienced player like yourself to grasp quite easily. The fact that you don’t– or at least you claim you don’t... interesting...
New players are unpredictable. And with the way Echo was posting, I could definitely see the wolves opting to wait another day. If they went for him/her, it would totally implicate Kath whether or not Echo was actually the Seer. In this scenario, they would have been on the alert for seerishness from Echo yesterDay, and, well, they were definitely given it. And anyway, I find it unlikely that Zil was attempt at a gifted at all.

Quote:
Here it is, plain and clear: you stated that Echo’s death potentially implicated three players (with “Holby as sorcerer” being the least likely “dream”).
Ok, I know it was late and my wording was less than clear, but the two paragraphs are obviously separate scenarios. In the first one, Holby being dreamt is implicit- why would they fear Echo otherwise? In the second, it's meant to be how a wolf-Kath would approach it, and obviously for her it would be better to get people to believe the wolves thought it she that was dreamt.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
we'd already agreed on the Holby-dream being the most likely.
Who’s “we"? You certainly hadn’t.
The next sentence of my post holds the answer (i.e. what I just said above):
Quote:
I thought we'd already agreed on the Holby-dream being the most likely. I don't think anyone actually suggest a Kath-dream to be more likely, except for me within the context of a 'make-it-look-like-we-though-Echo-is-a-seer' kill.

Quote:
I thought I had better do an analysis just to settle the matter, and just in case there was something more to be gleaned. There wasn’t, but how could I know that until I’d done it?

Again, a simple, routine procedure. And yet, according to you, a sign of wickedness. Really.
Ok, I've actually had a bit of a change of heart about this. I don't think you were posting just to look like you were being helpful. With all the confusingness that is Echo, we need as much clarity and certainty as we can get. Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #239
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
New players are unpredictable. And with the way Echo was posting, I could definitely see the wolves opting to wait another day. If they went for him/her, it would totally implicate Kath whether or not Echo was actually the Seer. In this scenario, they would have been on the alert for seerishness from Echo yesterDay, and, well, they were definitely given it. And anyway, I find it unlikely that Zil was attempt at a gifted at all.
Sure. You’re under no obligation to agree with my reasoning. That’s not the point, Steve.

Quote:
The next sentence of my post holds the answer (i.e. what I just said above):
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
I thought we'd already agreed on the Holby-dream being the most likely. I don't think anyone actually suggest a Kath-dream to be more likely, except for me within the context of a 'make-it-look-like-we-though-Echo-is-a-seer' kill.
I am aware that you were describing two separate scenarios. However, you said:
"If Echo were a Seer, the most likely dreams would either be Kath as innocent or Holby as a sorcerer. Given the sudden change, and lack of Holby suspicion on D1, the former would be more likely”
Here, yes, you’re talking about your double-bluffing scenario (where Kath is a wolf killing Echo in order to look better). But your statement that Kath would have been the supposed Seer-Echo's “most likely dream" is a general one, not specific to that scenario.

Therefore, the contradiction remains.

Now, again, you don’t have to agree with me on why Echo was killed. I could be completely wrong. Despite the evidence, it may be that the wolves killed Echo for some other reason entirely. Who knows– except them, of course. What I do not appreciate is being heavily attacked simply for analysing the posts of a dead player, and especially for examining them in the light of scenarios suggested by you yourself.

Yes, you’re trying to back away from it all now– but you were ready to scream “sorcerer” at me before. On that note, I particularly don’t care for that little bit you threw in about, “Holby voting for you as she died”. No, not just on personal grounds– I'm actually wondering now if that was something cooked up overnight– “I know, let’s try and pass off Holby’s vote as wolf-on-wolf, heh, heh..."
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #240
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Alright! Quite glad about the recent turns of events as they clarify quite a lot of stuff (not to mention that we're one baddie down). Now, let's go and comment on stuff:

YesterDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper
Oops, Steve and Eonwe are not different people. Scratch that.
Maybe I'm tired but I totally cracked up at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
Seem pretty good
Shasta
Kath
Lommy
McCaber (for now)

Don't particularly suspect
Boro

Something dark may lie beneath
Nerwen
Lottie

Suspicious
Cop
Greenie

What!?
Echo
Holby
I don't like this list at all. It seems lazy and mostly just echoing other people's opinions, especially lumping Holby and Echo in one category of confusion, it feels like Eönwë is trying to fish sympathy or goodwill (maybe not consciously) by joining in OMGing over Holby and Echo's weird behaviour. (Seriously, I think their "weirdness" was greatly exaggerated in this game and I admit taking some part in that too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror
My point that Lommy didn't seem to have realised is one of the biggest advantages the village has in this game, IMO, which is that it started with a Day phase. This means that although the sorcerers probably knew who the others were, they had no time to talk to each other and make plans. After Night #1, they are likely to have made contact and plans. They have a potential weakness in the switch between those times. This is something that innocents should be watching out for.
Then we just have different views on the topic. In my experience (admittedly I haven't been a wolf in ages so if you guys have developed new wolving routines in the past couple of years I wouldn't know ), wolves seldom make grand plans on Night1 anyway, it's mostly chatter and bonding and maybe minor planning plus warning packmates like "I will try to avoid voting for you guys but if you act really weird I'm gonna vote you" so I see no big advantage in them not being able to talk on Night1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë, 3min before the DL
Boro -> Lottie
Nerwen -> Cop
Kath -> Cop (2)
Lommy -> Nerwen
Greenie -> Cop (3)
Lottie -> Holby
McCaber -> Holby (2)
Cop -> Holby (3)
Holby -> Nerwen (2)
Echo -> Holby (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë, 2min before the DL
Now if Eönwë is a wolf this is pretty freaking bold and my hats off go to him.

Speaking of the vote count above, it's pretty weird Holby didn't vote for Cop and try to save herself but instead went for Nerwen who only had one vote. Does this mean Cop is guilty, or that Holby was just being a bit careless (which she was before)?

ToDay

Quote:
Steve–

Totally agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Quote:
I agree that Kath looks pretty innocent now. It occured to me already on Day1 that Echo being the seer who dreamt of Kath might explain their weird behaviour and wouldn't consequently have been surprised if they had died already on Night2, so I'm totally ready to follow this logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper
I'm either the Protector Wizard or the Pact Mage. I'm not the Aura Reader. I'd rather not say which of the other two I am at this point unless it's strictly necessary.
*heads explodes noisily* ARGGH. Since Day1 I've been flip-flopping on whether Cop looks more wolvish or gifted, and yesterDay I abstained from voting her and went for Nerwen instead of her because I thought she was hinting at being gifted. And now this ambiguous and thus uncontestable reveal, which would be pretty darn cunning from a wolf in dire straits. Well, I guess we should just give Cop the benefit of doubt for a Day or two and see what happens...

I'm at loss as for Eönwë and Nerwen's row toDay. I'm always quite careful to label any arguments as two innocents fighting, but I'd be inclined to do it this time. Eönwë looks pretty innocent for his open fishing of support to lynch Cop instead of Holby (a wolf would be quite brazen to do that) and Nerwen is putting effort into this game in a way that suggests innocence to me (I know I voted her yesterDay and my minor suspicions concerning have gone nowhere, I'm just pushing them back at the moment because they don't seem relevant in the big picture) - it looks like she's actually thinking about who the wolves might be, not just hanging around. Still, I'm baffled that Eönwë and Nerwen have both completely ignored Copper's reveal.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 08-27-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: replaced a censored word and added "time stamp" to the later Eönwë voting quote
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote