The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #401
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

A welcome to all who have joined the Thread recently: that's CaptainofDespair, Bethberry and Valesse.

What we should really be asking ourselves is this: What do the Wargs call themselves? The Hobbit suggests that the Wargs had their own wicked tongue indecipherable to Bilbo Baggins. What I want to know is whether this was truly the Warg's language or whether it was some sort of hideous local dialect. The wicked Wargs' 'Ned tongue' to the True Wargs' perfect English, if you see what I'm saying.

Maybe the Wargs could not care less about our pronounciation of the word 'Warg'. Thoughts?

By the way, 11th page? I think we all deserve hearty congratulations for the continued success of The Appreciation Thread. A toast!

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 08-13-2005 at 07:21 AM. Reason: No chainsaw-wielding bear can get that information from me...
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #402
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
The Hobbit suggests that the Wargs had their own wicked tongue indecipherable to Bilbo Baggins...The wicked Wargs' 'Ned tongue' to the True Wargs' perfect English

...Maybe the Wargs could not care less about our pronounciation of the word 'Warg'. Thoughts?
Whoa! Revolutionary thought there. It could be very possible that Wargs have several different languages depending on what situations they are in or the area. Unfortunately I haven't had much exposure to wargs

Last edited by Valesse; 08-14-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:00 AM   #403
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! 11 pages!

A hearty congratulations to all!

Cousin Eomer, from what I recall the Wargs use the tongue of the people they are with, as they are quick to learn languages and are loath to teach their own secret tongue to other races.

Those who have earned the trust of the Wargs and have mastered the tongue were the same people who have earned the title of "Warg" (or "Werewarg"), and have become the wisest and fairest of the Children of Ilśvatar during their time. Perhaps, the tongue of the Wargs came from the very speech of the Allfather himself, conferring his wisdom on those who have persevered to learn it. Surely, the wisdom of the Wargs must have a source no less than the One.

Just a theory.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #404
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

It is true that Wargs have mastered every tongue in Arda and beyond. Those naļve Dwarves.....

I have heard that it was actually the Wargs who awoke the Ents. The official stance is, of course, that the Elves performed this amazing feat. But bear in mind that the Elves and the Wargs have at times been bitter rivals, and that the Elves also manipulated the Halflings and their account of history. This is where we get The Hobbit et al from.

After all, what is Canonicity?

( )
Old 08-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #405
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Oh, Eomer, how very avant-garde and subjective of you! But you do raise a perfectly valid point: how can we lovers of all things Wargish ever truly trust something which many other Downers may call canon? I don't know that we can truly trust it. I definitely remember having given time on this great thread to the argument that The Red Book was in fact a cleverly worked propoganda piece designed cleverly and subtly to subvert Wargs and all their glorious ways. That may not rest comfortably with many, but I feel more and more compelled each and every day to give the argument credit.

One final comment on the 11th page: it is especially cool because on the ME Mirth contents page at has pages '1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10...Last Page'. Our pages are so great that they can no longer be numbered! Cool, huh?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #406
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Re: Elvish propaganda.

I don't think the Wargs cared for the canon, or for history, for that matter. As Mauan, son of Huan (yes, he was a Warg) once put it:
[Mauan: ]We are not concerned with history, with the past ages of Arda; for to our care was given all the notes and chords of the Music, to keep in order until it has reached the fullness of its measure and our Lord comes to cleanse it.
This is also the first time a Warg has mentioned "our Lord", or, as scholars name it, "The Lord of the Wargs." Many say that this refers Argwė, brother of Varsur, the Viceregent of the Timeless Halls under Eru himself; in which case the "fullness of its measure" refers to that future time when Varsur and Melkor shall forcibly open the Door of Night and enter the World.

What do you think?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #407
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dūm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Nay, the Wargs are concerned only with the vast music of Illuvatar. That is their higher calling, the reason that Wargs are held so wonderful in the first place.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #408
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Just a quick off-topic note here. Having been in Spain for the last two weeks I am sad to report that I neither saw nor heard of any Wargs or Warg activity. However, I believe that this may be because I was in a very touristy area, and no self-respecting Warg would put themselves in the way of digital/video cameras and small, squealing children - at least not without attacking some of them. We did go to a few more remote places but again I saw hide nor hair of those magnificent beasts.

I wonder though whether the old history of bull-fighting in Spain might have some connection with the Wargs as there is often mention of a bull that could not be killed and that cut down many of the matadors as they tried to fight it. Anyone know if this could be a valid theory?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #409
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

Well, Kath, your pain must be considerable. And after Eomer gave such a glowing report from Madrid. Your vitriol must be huge! I give you permission to direct general viciousness at the horsemaster. It will help the healing process, I'm sure.

Oh, aren't Wargs great!

Last edited by SamwiseGamgee; 08-25-2005 at 05:39 PM. Reason: The effects of a bottle of wine on my higher brain functions
SamwiseGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:49 AM   #410
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

The search for Wargs takes time and skill. Kath here is a relative newcomer to this glorious world. Why, it is said that even Elessar Telcontar, Aragorn II, the greatest tracker of the Third Age, took a good four years to track down the first Warg he ever saw. And those were an intense four years of seeking for naught else.

I myself spent 23 years searching for my first glimpse of a real life Warg. So take courage Kath, and I'm sure that you will be rewarded for your faith.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #411
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thank you for the kind words Samwise and Eomer. It makes me feel a little better and gives me the hope I need to keep searching!
Old 09-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #412
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dūm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
I find it interesting how all over the downs I have seen debates on the nature of Gothmog, lieutenant of Morgul. Now after careful research into the topic, I can guarantee that he was, in fact, a warg. Through this research, I have come across numerous ancient documents describing his rise to power, and his fall from it, It is interesting to note that after his fall from power, he became second in command at Pellanor. He had been in charge of all the armies of Mordor before that time, and it was, in fact, his throwing his stakes in with the losing side of the all-to-common, inter-orc squables that took place in Barad-dur that caused his fall.

Two of the most prominent orc tribes in Mordor were invited to Barad-dur for a banquet of man-flesh and other cullinary delights, when a dispute arose among them. Many of the Nazgul, and even the future mouth of Sauron sided with one side, and gothmog sidede with the other. Needless to say with all the backstabbing that took placei n Sauron's court, they were able to hurt Gothmog's image, and ended up giving his position to the Witch King. But Gothmog still retained a lot of his authority.

In fatc,Sauron himself knew about the intelligence of this warg. and refused to demote him any farther than he had to to keep his other subjsects loyal, but still gave him a lot of authority. It is also a little known fact that PJ knew about this story when he made his movie. If you notice a lyena in the fight for Minis Tirith? This is actually Gothmog, not the pink orc-thing that many normally think is Gothmog. Actually that pink thing only served as Gothmogs mouth peice, much like the MoS did for Sauron.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #413
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

Well, well, well, articstorm. That certainly is an interesting theory. I have done little research into Gothmog, but I must say I think your post may be the final answer to all the issues of all the scholars. I shall return and post as soon as I know more!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #414
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

This makes so much sense. And on first impression, it appears to be yet another case of the Wargs being treated with naught but disdain by the authors of the Red Book.

See the painstaking description of the Nazgūl all throughout the book. Witness the bone-chilling introduction of the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate. Yet Gothmog is treated as an afterthought. How could this be the case were tradition correct and Gothmog was to be thought of as a Ringwraith or a Black Nśmenórean? It is still possible that Gothmog was an Orc, but I doubt this greatly. Gothmog was a Warg and once again we have to face this harsh reality: that Wargs are slowly but surely being eliminated from history.

It makes me crumple with despair; and boil with fury.

Great work arcticstorm!
Old 09-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #415
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
This makes so much sense. And on first impression, it appears to be yet another case of the Wargs being treated with naught but disdain by the authors of the Red Book.

See the painstaking description of the Nazgūl all throughout the book. Witness the bone-chilling introduction of the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate. Yet Gothmog is treated as an afterthought. How could this be the case were tradition correct and Gothmog was to be thought of as a Ringwraith or a Black Nśmenórean? It is still possible that Gothmog was an Orc, but I doubt this greatly. Gothmog was a Warg and once again we have to face this harsh reality: that Wargs are slowly but surely being eliminated from history.

It makes me crumple with despair; and boil with fury.

Great work arcticstorm!
One has to wonder though...

Are all cases the work of the evil Anti-Warg group?

Could there not be some cases in which the Wargs themselves have suppressed the true history? After all, if Gothmog of Morgul really was a Warg, would the Wargs want this to be known? After all, there are enough people Warg-bashing without adding fuel to the fire. Perhaps the Wargs have themselves worked to hide Gothmog's true story. After all, Wargs are not tame creatures...
Old 09-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #416
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

That is a possibility, Form. I myself have started a false rumour on a rival thread regarding Gothmog. Why, you may ask? Well, exactly as has been suggested: we are able to understand Wargs here at The Thread, but those Warg-bashers are just waiting to pounce. Pesky scum!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #417
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

But such a magnificent captain and fearsome warrior is worthy of recognition, even if he did use his powers for evil. What do the True Wargs think of this?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #418
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
But such a magnificent captain and fearsome warrior is worthy of recognition, even if he did use his powers for evil. What do the True Wargs think of this?
Who can say? Wargs are such mysterious creatures that I felt called upon to put forth another, quite plausible, suggestion concerning this matter, but I am as ignorant of the fantastic goings-on of a Warg's mind as any of us...
Old 09-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #419
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! A suggestion.

(Many thanks to Ms. Bźthberry for the suggestion.)

We could rewrite parts of the legendarium to tell the true tale, including references to Wargs, and possibly the mysterious Hares.

Or . . . maybe we should drop the Hare part, as this is a thread about Wargs.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #420
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
We could rewrite parts of the legendarium to tell the true tale, including references to Wargs, and possibly the mysterious Hares.

Or . . . maybe we should drop the Hare part, as this is a thread about Wargs.
Hares?

Surely thou jest, Milord Felagund! What part in such a great tale have creatures such as hares? For all that Rivendell may have been overrun with madly named, long eared beasts of the hare-y persuasion, their part in the destruction of the One Ring and the overthrow of Sauron can surely merit no more a mention in the Red Book, corrected or otherwise, than that of the fox in "Three is Company". Less mention, perhaps, for the fox is a discerning creature curious about the goings on of the world around him, whereas Elmerf and all of his ilk are completely wrapped up in their own, ridiculous, politics and intrigues.

Wargs, on the other hand, although maligned and mistreated by historians, played great parts in the War, as befits the noblest of Eru's creatures. Those some turned traitor it can never be said that their part in the goings on of those times were anything but grand and far-reaching. The hares, by dint of their entire species, could no more have changed the course of the war by hopping in unison against the armies of Mordor- and it is demonstable that they did not- whereas a single Warg, even one turned to evil (if Gothmog be one), by the very reason of his presence on the battlefield, merited a mention in the great history, even though that history be written by those of most anti-Warg persuasions.

Even those who hate the Wargs, who hide their true history, who present the vile Lyenas as true Wargs, who have done their best to either erase the Warg from history or to malign their acts, will admit that a Warg is, if naught else, a great and dangerous creature. But even the most devoted of hare-fans, even the most maniacally deranged of the chroniclers of Elmerf, even the most Bambi-loving nature hugger cannot say any more about Elmerf's role in the War of the Ring than that he was Legolas' rabbit.

I rest my case. There is no need for a society devoted to the Wargs to even contemplate a look into the "histories" that are the self-centred journals of Elmerf and his sorry ilk.

~Wargfully yours,

Warg Scholar - Michael A. Joosten~
Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #421
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! ^That definitely made my age!

Hey, don't get worked up, Form! You just came back! (Welcome back, vy ze vay. )

It was just a suggestion, for, despite the truth of your statement, Hares had a part in the History of Middle-earth. The Council of Elrond, for example, was brought about by some concubine of Elmerf.

I mean, if we drop the Hare references to the Legendarium, then we are no worse than those who continuously defame the Wargs.

Your Harey Advocate of the Correct and Complete History of Arda,
Louis Ortal.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #422
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
Hey, don't get worked up, Form! You just came back! (Welcome back, vy ze vay. )

It was just a suggestion, for, despite the truth of your statement, Hares had a part in the History of Middle-earth. The Council of Elrond, for example, was brought about by some concubine of Elmerf.

I mean, if we drop the Hare references to the Legendarium, then we are no worse than those who continuously defame the Wargs.

Your Harey Advocate of the Correct and Complete History of Arda,
Louis Ortal.
Thank you for the welcome, it is good to be back among those enlightened enough to speak of Wargs.

But I must disagree with your interpretation that Elmerf's concubine convened the Council of Elrond. That is simply one interpretation of the facts, and a tenuous one, at that. One might as well accept the suggestion of the Red Book's author, that it practically happened by coincidence. Or one could look at the event and see in it, perhaps, the paws of a Warg.

Although Elrond is renowned for his anti-Warg stance, and although there are no documents proving any Warg connections to the Council named after him, the fact remains that the Council was a most blessed occurrence for the peoples of Middle-Earth, and a turning point in the quest to destroy the Ring. And although the gathering of all those delegates at one time appears to be mere coincidence, one can perhaps see the paw of a Warg at work.

Consider Boromir and Faramir's vision. It is never shown from whence it came. But who, other than the Wargs, had the power to project such a vision? Only the Valar, and they had a strict hands-off policy with regards to Middle-Earth. What about the arrival of the Dwarves? We are told of some vague worries of the Dwarf kingdom, but why should they go to Elrond with their questions? Perhaps the Dwarves, who have always had better relationships with Wargs than the Elves have, had the suggestion placed in their ear? As for Legolas and the other Elves? Well, who do you think could have managed to get them all to Rivendell at the same time, other than those most cunning of beasts?

In any event, although I share your quest for a "Correct and Complete History of Arda", though I dispute with you on some of the details, I must admit that a truly "complete" work is impossible, although we may strive for "correct". To be complete, a work must, of its nature, include EVERYTHING. And no one written work, or even many, can encompass EVERYTHING. For that reason, we are not given Frodo's Famous Mushroom Soup recipe in the Red Book, delicious though it was, it was not relevant. In the same way, while Elmerf and his brood were certainly connected to the Council and its proceedings, they were not RELEVANT. In this matter, at least, I agree with the biased, anti-Warg author of the Red Book: there was no reason to include the hares.

~Warg Scholar-

Michael A. Joosten~
Old 09-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #423
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

My comrades! it is high time for another tale of Wargs; and verily, I now have a series to share with you.

Some of you may remember an earlier tale I told in which the so-called Warg Riders of the Third Age featured; causing bloodshed and unhappiness to the Free Peoples; and enslaving Wargs.

It is time that you found out what became of Grifdokh, Marshmak, Bellizor, Maldakar, Uchnogh and Sarcroch: the infamous 'Warg Riders'. There are some grisly ends in this collection.

Look for me – soon!
Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #424
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
You have my word, Wraith! Wether by my life or death, I shall follow you to the ends of the earth. You have my warg!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #425
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

Well, Eomer. I can hardly contain myself. Truly I shall wait with immense anticipation for thy great and mighty story!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #426
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots The demise of the Warrior-Orcs

Grifdokh, Marshmak and Bellizor had long since left the other Warg Riders. Rhūn Orcs, however brilliant, were never likely to be fully accepted by other Orcs. But Grifdokh had recently desired a truce. He recalled the glory of the full complement of Warg Riders and longed to live that life once more. This was in the Fourth Age, when the Return of the King had ceased to be a matter of interest to the Free Peoples of Middle-earth.

Grifdokh had a few Wargs still under his command, but the majority of the Wargs he had once known had stayed with Sarcroch, the most powerful of the Warg Riders. So he sent out only two Wargs to bring tidings to Sarcroch, whom Grifdokh believed to be now far in the North.

Around six months later, one of the Wargs returned, and a terror was upon that miserable beast. He would speak neither to the other Wargs or Grifdokh, and the head Orc was furious. "So!" he cried, "Sarcroch chooses to curse a Warg of Grifdokh, does he? Well, let him know that I will not cower before him as a slave any longer; I will go to the North and I will challenge this sorceror!" Grifdokh had always resented Sarcroch's arrogance.

So north he went. He brought his allies Marshmak and Bellizor, and a great host of Orcs. Following them came the Wargs, meek and miserable; trapped in this bitter life by the hateful Orcs.

When he came to the outskirts of Forodwaith, Grifdokh halted. He saw before him a great host of Wargs. "So Sarcroch plans to sacrifice his Wargs first, does he?" said he. "Well, I shall not waste my Wargs in a pitiful fight. We will slaughter the Wargs ourselves. With me, my Orcs!"

And with that, Grifdokh and his comrades ran toward the great host with confidence. The three former Warg Riders had seen these Wargs close-up a long time before, and they did not fear them at all.

But suddenly Grifdokh stopped. For he had keen eyes and saw now that he had been outfoxed.....by someone. The Wargs that he was looking at could now be seen more clearly. And there was no doubting now that these Wargs, now moving steadily toward the Orcs, were Great Wargs.

"What is this..." Grifdokh faltered. He realised that he was about to engage in battle with a mighty army of Great and True Wargs, against which there can be no victor.

And verily, the wrath and fury of the Wargs was great, and they tore through the ranks of the Orcs with gusto, and the weak enslaved Wargs were wakened from their oppression and were set free, and howled with delight. The blood of the Orcs ran through the valley of Forodwaith like a river.

But who were these Wargs? That is what Grifdokh wondered as he witnessed Marshmak's limbs being ripped off his torso, and Bellizor's head flying through the air. It was what he wondered as he saw his last sight: the huge jaws of a Warg bearing down on his face.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #427
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield Dancing

It was dancing spawn of ungoliant who got me thinking again about the relation between Wargs and dancing in Middle-earth.

The Elves claimed to have brought the art of dancing to Middle-earth from the Blessed Realm, from whence they had learned much, of course, from the Ainur. This, while a controversial claim in itself, I will let pass for now. What is truly worthy of debate is the vast differences between Elvish and Wargish dancing.

Above all else, the dance of the Elves was slow. It was designed to complement, for example, poetry; and above all else it attempted to attain great beauty. It was timeless and appropriate in pretty much all walks of Elvish life.

Wargish dancing was very different. It had a vigour and energy drastically removed from the ways of the Elves. Such fire and passion was the trademark of the Warg; and while it was truly not appropriate for every occasion, Wargish dancing as a celebration of life was unmatched.

So what did they think of each other? The friendships and wars between the Elves and the Wargs have been well-documented on this Thread, but the bitterness between the two races over the application of dance was highly important. You see, the Elves (for the most part) despised Wargish dancing; they considered it depraved and 'low'; they did not see it as true dance, rather as a debauched social movement. Not all Elves agreed though. It is said that Lśthien Tinśviel herself was a not-so-secret fan of Wargish dance, and that her father was deeply ashamed of her for this very reason. She was always being locked in that Tree-house for bad behaviour. Why do you think Beren was so intoxicated by her dancing? Because it wasn't your regular Elvish stuff. It was infused with the lust of the Wargs.

Wargs for their part were pleased by Elvish dance at times. Certainly at Warg funerals Elvish dancing was favoured for the sombre occasion.

Any thoughts? Next time I'll offer a little-heeded example of the great influence of Wargish dancing in one of the cosier settings of the Third Age.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #428
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Most interesting, Master Of The Rohirrim. You seem, as usual in these matters, to have hit upon the head of the matter.

Alas! I have been remiss in my Warg studies of late, and have neglected most study of these great creatures to whom this illustious society is rightfully devoted. I shall try to amend that in the near future...

Perhaps what we need is Wargsaholics Anonymous... for those of us who have LAPSED from Wargaholism...
Old 10-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #429
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Leaf Howdy, y'all!

I have been planning to post on this thread for quite a long time, but more trivial matters have ever succeeded in driving the thought away from me.

Enedwaith, I just wanted to say that regarding the planned Canon, I would like to set aside the Hare problem for a while, considering that they hadn't played any role in the affairs of Eä until the Ages of the Sun. Also, I have been working on the first of the texts on the Wargish Canon, The Ainulindalė according to the Wargs, which I shall post soon--hopefully.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #430
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

Alas, Form, how we have all neglected this most worthy of threads. Shame be upon us and our families for one thousand generations! Greetinggs, also, Nilp, tis good to have thee back.

Now, horsemaster, I move on to your post. I've looked into Warg dancing a little myself. Indeed, if memory serves I do believe that within the first few posts of this thread there was rather a lively duologue betwix thyself and I regarding Warg dancing. Nonetheless, tis a subject worthy of this learned society's consideration. It is my persuasion that the relationship and strain between Warg and elf regarding dance is somewhat of a microcosm of the Warg/elf dichotomy in its entirety. The Wargs: noble, open to suggestion and not above admitting that in certain circumsatnces there way may not be best. On t'other hand, though, one encounters the elven philosophy: narrow-minded, xenophobic, backward and, in fact, beyond xenophobia: downright racism. Alas, and have Wargs had this burden since before time and sadly they look unlikely to lose it in the pressing future!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #431
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

White Tree Hail, and well met!

My version of the Wargish Ainulindalė would be delayed a while, as I have come across a very interesting manuscript containing a prophecy of Argwė concerning the last days of Arda. In the meantime, I found this old entry in my journal, and I guessed it would be prudent to share it with you.
August 10, 2005.
Having been caught in a typhoon, I drowned in the ensuing floods and died. Immediately my fėa was taken to Mandos, and then, having been reclothed in a new hroa, I went on to Valinor. During that time dear Kath was on a holiday in Spain, and I watched over her in thought. She was in Antequera at that time, wandering through unusual limestone rock formations. I was fascinated by this sight, and I asked Aulė how he had carved the rock into such marvellous shapes.

'I know not,' he said, 'for I have not made them. You must ask Mandos, from whom none is hidden.'

I took his counsel, and I returned once more to the Halls of Mandos. There I asked Nįmo about the origin of the strange rocks. Surprisingly, his tale was tied to the Wargs, and how Men have ever misunderstood them.

'No doubt you have heard of the tale of the Kyuubi,' he said.

'Yes,' I answered. 'I have read of him in the tapestries of Vairė.'

'The Kyuubi was not the only one of his kind. He had a brother, the Kitsunė, who was not turned to evil. In the guise of an old man, he wandered the lands east and south of the Blue Mountains, giving aid to the villages of Men who have tried to live their lives free from the shadow of the North.

'One day he came to the village of Suna, which was then assailed with a great drought. By his arts he called forth rain, and the fields of the people of Suna was filled with growing things once more. They thanked the old man, and he was given a place of honour in the village. They asked him to stay a little while with them.

'During that time Thangorodrim had been broken, and all the evil beasts of Morgoth that had not fought in the War of Wrath fled far from the wrack of tha battle. There came to the south the most dreadful of Morgoth's creatures, save the Kyuubi. He was the Shukaku, a racoon of great stature, and whose body was covered with sand.

'The people of Suna saw his approach, and they were seized with fear. They asked Kitsunė to help them; and there before the entire village of Suna he revealed his true form. With a few strides he met the Shukaku in the forest near the village, and there their dreadful battle began. They fought with tooth and claw, and the great tail of Shukaku was caught in the nine tails of Kitsunė. The ground shook terribly as the two exchanged blows. Finally, Kitsunė had succeeded in defeating the beast of the North. Taking once again his human form, he returned to the village. He had not expected the welcome that would be given him.

'The villagers, discovering his true form, seized him. They had ever feared the Wargs, for they had hearkened to the lies of Morgoth, thinking that these great beasts worked for the ill of Men. Outside the village they stoned him to death, and in his last breath he returned to his true form, destroying the village of Suna as he did so.

'As the ages passed his body slowly rotted away, leaving his great bones behind. These eventually became the great limestone hills that you have seen today.'

Then Mandos concluded his tale, and I was silent, for my mind was filled with thoughts.
I have found a few photos relevant to the tale:
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 AM   #432
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
As some of you may know, I travelled to Tanzania a fortnight ago. Eomer told me that it is a favorable opportunity to see Wargs so, needless to say, I was quite excited about it. To my shame I have to tell you that I failed to see even a glimpse of a Warg. I saw plenty of Oliphaunts and Black squirrels, though. But don't worry, I'm not going to let you down. Although I didn't see a Warg, I learnt much of them and I hope I can provide you some new information.

Since Eomer has delivered a great lecture on Wargs' dancing, I have very little to say about that.
Quote:
Wargish dancing was very different. It had a vigour and energy drastically removed from the ways of the Elves. Such fire and passion was the trademark of the Warg; and while it was truly not appropriate for every occasion, Wargish dancing as a celebration of life was unmatched.
Ever heard or seen how people of Masai tribes dance? They bounce around jumping high into the air while screaming and clapping wildly. It seems obvious that as nomads who wander a lot around tending cattle, Masais have seen Wargs dancing and adopted the style. Of course it's just an attempt to copy the world's most magnificent dancers but I must admit that some Masais imitate pretty well the ardent nature of Warg dancing.

I visited two national parks during my stay in Africa: Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro. I had hoped to see Wargs there but soon I understood that they were the last places where Wargs would want to live. They were unbelievably beautiful places but 1) there were too many tourists and 2) there were Hyenas. I've understood that Wargs do not usually want to be seen, and at least not with Hyenas. I think it has something to do with the heresy of PJ's Hyena-Lemming Creatures.

The best place to see Wargs is Mt. Kilimanjaro. Our lot climbed to Mandara hut using Marangu route but it's way too easy and touristy for Wargs. Instead using that kind of routes, they have made plenty of their own little trails crisscross the mountain. The paths are so small and difficult that one can't follow them, so the best way to see Wargs is to climb Umbwe route which is much less popular than Marangu ("A very strenuous walk up steep, slippery paths with many fallen trees to negotiate. The middle section follows a narrow spectacular ridge with magnificent views of the Great Barranco and Southern Icefields."). Wargs like their own privacy but at times they make an appearance to people who are ambitious enough not to go the easiest way to the top.

I also found out that Wargs don't ever suffer from mountain sickness. They can climb up and down the mountain as fast as they wish without any danger of getting fluid builded up within their lungs or brain.

All in all, I'm pleased with my trip even though I didn't get to meet a Warg. I believe the fate of Kitsunė is one reason why people don't even deserve to see Wargs but maybe some day we can live in harmony with them. Now I just have to keep researching and studying Warg lore. Thanks, Nilp, for sharing that story with us.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #433
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

dancing spawn, you uncover an interesting truth: it is becoming increasingly difficult to see Wargs. Some believe that finding a Warg is as elementary as finding one's own foot: INCORRECT!

Once upon a time this was true, but now we find that Wargs are becoming increasingly xenophobic and wary of outsiders. It's sad, there is so much we can learn from them, but the vicious actions of we humans against Wargs mean they are understandibly reluctant to share with us. Curse those of our race who have brought this upon us!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #434
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

Evening all. How are we at this most honoured hall of Warg appreciation? Well, I trust.

Anyway, onwards I must tread towards my point: I recently saw Ye Olde Chronicles of Narnia and was, I must say, somewhat unsuprised to find that the wolves were evil. Cruel killers, aye. So here's my question: why? What happened, I wonder, to putWargs so out of favour with men in this world of ours'? If anyone knows, pray enlighten me. Let us spark up the Appreciation Thread so it may roar as the mighty fire it truly is!

P.S.- Look out for my next post: Warg Carols
Old 12-31-2005, 06:07 AM   #435
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Leaf Wargs and the Holidays.

How, some wonder, does Santa deliver all those gifts in one night?

Why, he uses Wargs, of course.

Santa, in fact, is a Warg Rider.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:21 PM   #436
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Of course!

It's almost time for the second birthday celebrations here at this most prestigious thread. Apparently we missed the first birthday.

Yes, I'm skipping over the bringing in of the New Year because I don't believe that Wargs celebrate it. They tend to celebrate important things rather than the mechanical passing of time.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #437
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Well, they probably wouldn't celebrate our New Year as what significance would it hold for them, but what's to say they don't celebrate it at a time relevant to their history?

Obviously their celebration wouldn't be getting drunk, as what Warg would lower themselves to that, but maybe a gathering and rememberance.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #438
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Wargs are such high beings, though, that they live in a state of perpetual reflection on the joys and the sorrows of life. At least that's how I see it.

Men can barely rise above the trials and tribulations of the everyday, and that's why they need a 'New Year' celebration. The Elves went in for all of that too.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #439
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

It's true, Eomer. Wargs are so great that they transcend everything. Time, reality and space are all but nothing to a Warg. How great it must be to have abandoned boundaries like that.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #440
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Then perhaps any celebration of a new year might be a time of rest from such pursuits. A time just to celebrate and marvel at life rather than attempting to understand the origins or the reasons for it.

Forgive me I am not arguing with you Eomer, a distinguished Warg scholar indeed, I just wonder whether perhaps such a tradition might have started with these creatures, rather than passed them by.