The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2002, 07:05 AM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The miscellany thread /archive

OK this is a thread for the Forum moderators to place things that are not so bad as to be thrown away, but really have no future as subject for further elaboration in the Silm forum.

I know I'm late for Spring cleaning, but in an effort to help focus the efforts on the tasks at hand I am eliminating much of the dross, filing much of the miscellany and transfering all of the inapplicable.
Please do not be :MAD: if you your 2 year old post on legolas' age is missing.
Check here first or look for it in the Books forum. Or read any one of the 46 new one's in Books or N&N.[btw he is exactly 678 yrs old, I mean was].
I really will try and preserve anything of interest here. Fell free to copy it out and place it in a new home if you wish.

I am also eliminating posts in the intro thread wherein folks signed up for the project but never showed up. If you come back and see that, worry not, you can still participate, just rejoin and be sure to email me for the passwords and such.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Please do not be offended if your post ended up here, I am engaing in a much needed housecleaning of the forum, trying to get the threads down to the essentials.

Some threads will be deleted.

Some transfered [to books mostly]

some stored here.

As I said above, if someone desperately wants to comment on something here please copy it over to the appropriate forum.

In the interests of organization, I will be keeping a tighter lid on topics here. Please keep all new threads relevant to the goals of the Forum, if in doubt put it in Books [ or wherever else you think it might go] if it truly belongs here someone will spot it and move it over.

muchos gracias.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

transfer #1
Author Topic: A great idea...
Keeper of Dol Goldur
Wight

Member # 1167

Rate Member
posted March 06, 2002 06:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sauron was called Thu throughout all the Silm and Sauron in LotR and the later works. But Thu is such an excellent name, like Olorin, Curumo, Allatar, etc..., that maybe the story should go something like this.
Celebrimbor made the three rings. They were his pride and joy. But Anatar then forged the one ring and it was revealed that he was Thu, former servent of Morgoth. Upon learning this Celebrimbor swore an oath to never let the three rings fall into his hands. When Sauron arrived demanding them, Celebrimbor (in front of many others) stated:
"Never shalt though despoil what my long years of work have given us. By the blood of Feanor my father's father, I curse thee...you shall be Thu no longer but Sauron, the abominable one! And with that Sauron struck him down, but with his death ended the doom of Mandos and the curse of Feanor, (the Feanor doom is because he is the last known of that line). And from that day on, alike to what Feanor did ages before to Melkor, Thu was then on called Sauron, the abominable one.
Obviously it can't be worded this way, but this concept would add a great role for Celebrimbor and add closure to the line of Feanor.
--------------------

"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 109 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2002 | IP: Logged

Aiwendil
Wight

Member # 320

Member Rated:

posted March 06, 2002 09:10 PM
Well, that's not exactly what we're doing here; we're compiling a canon Silmarillion based entirely on Tolkien's writings. Interesting idea for a fan fiction though.

Lhundael
Haunting Spirit

Member # 1514

Member Rated:

posted March 08, 2002 02:00 PM
It would be nice if that would be the way it happend, but to put it a better way, if anyone has ever been acquainted with the Bible, in Acts St. Paul is referred to as Saul for the first few chapters he is in, I believe that is the way the Silmarillian is in relation to LotR, as to Thu and Sauron.
--------------------

Hlara i engwi enyë queta
Utuvien melme mi hendirya

Posts: 80 | From: Eregion | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote