The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2004, 12:14 AM   #121
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

When Saruman proclaimed himself as "Saruman of many colors"

...and in a deadpan look I imagine Gandalf to have on his face, he says:

"I thought white sounded better."

...or something of the sort.

I pictured it in my head as a funny cartoon scene, with a super villain maniacally praising himself.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #122
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Too Long Among the Horses
Quote:
"Nay, nay!" said Elfhelm.
Another good one from the knight of Rohan when Merry asks him what is afoot:
Quote:
"Anything that can keep so in this devil's mirk!"

Nassty Seagulls Precious

From the start of The Last Debate when Legolas is talking about his trip up the Anduin:
Quote:
and as he gazed he saw white sea-birds beating up the river.
I can just picture those nasty birds squawking and hitting it with their wings! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:06 PM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: doug*platypus ]
Old 01-07-2004, 04:24 PM   #123
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
Sting

Hi! Newbie!

Anyway, my favorite lines come from the History of the Lord of the Rings, Book Two, The Treason of Isengard. This part was actually originally cut from LOTR, and I think it should have stayed in (they're on the mountain of Caradhras):

"But how are WE to get through this drift, even if we ever get as far as the turn?" asked Pippin, voicing the thoughts of all the hobbits.

"It's a pity," said Legolas, "that Gandalf cannot go before us with a bright flame, and melt us a path."

"It is a pity that Elves cannot fly over mountains, and fetch the Sun to save them," said Gandalf. "Even I need something to work on. I cannot burn snow. But I could turn Legolas into a flaming torch, if that will serve: he would burn bright while he lasted."

"Spare me!" cried Legolas. "I fear that a dragon is concealed in the shape of our wizard. Yet a tame dragon would be useful at this hour."

"It will be a wild dragon, if you say any more," said Gandalf.

I just LOVE the friendly banter between these two; I think Tolkien should have had more of this to show the friendship between the Nine Walkers.
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:11 AM   #124
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] What?! But that is not from the book!!!
I mean, some parts are, but others are made up by I don't know who!
Gandalf never says anything about wanting to use Legolas as a torch, and the words about dragons are fake also!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #125
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
Sting

I hope you're kidding. If not, here's where I got it from: the box-set called The History of the Lord of the Rings. It's a three book segment (and a really skinny fourth book) from the Histories of Middle-Earth series. I got it for Christmas, and I was reading it. That part got edited, and I thought they should have left the dragon thing and the torch thing in. Those were funny!

In my opinion (which usually doesn't count), Tolkien should have left more of this in, mainly because it showed the fellowship and how they interacted with each other. Eh. That's just me, though.
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:03 PM   #126
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

I think PJ added something for Gimli in TTT. Him standing on the wall at Helm's Deep and Legolas asking "Shall I describe the scene to you or should I get you a box?"

Also in TTT EE I love the scene after the victory at Helm's Deep. I can't remember what number Legolas was up to (the kill count) but Gimli had one more. Suddenly Legolas draws his bow and shoots the dead orc Gimli was sitting on. Gimli says "He was already dead!" Legolas responds by saying "He was twitching." Gimli shouts back "That's because he has my axe embedded in his nervous system!" After he says that, he pushes down on his axe and you see the dead orc's arms and legs fly up. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #127
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Sting

One of the funniest lines (after my opinion)is Bilbo in his speech:

Quote:
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:48 PM   #128
Sirithrodwen123

Ring

I like where Gimli says "Toss me, but don't tell the elf."
Aragorn responds "I won't"
Old 01-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #129
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Thisis just a reminder that this thread is for discussion of the funniest lines that Tolkien wrote, rather than those written by the script-writing team on the films. There are a number of threads in the Movies forum where you can post your favourite lines from the films.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:32 PM   #130
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One line that springs to mind right away if from TTT "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit":
Quote:
(Ranger of Ithilien)"Elves do not walk in Ithilien in these days, and Elves are wondrous fair to look upon." (Sam) "Meaning we're not, I take you."
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #131
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
My turn [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

It's a shame some of the lines were cut from LotR. *sighs* I always thought that Legolas getting hit by an arrow in Khazad-dum makes more sense that him simply dropping the bow...ah, well.

the simple idea of Trotter, however, is enough to set me off giggling. The clog-wearing ranger-hobbit! *snerks*

Anywho...

Quote:
'The Wolf that one hears is worse than the Orc that one fears.'
'True!' said Aragorn, loosening his sword in its sheath. 'But where the Warg howls, there also the Orc prowls.'
The fact that they rhyme is more than enough to give me a bout of giggles, not to mention...

Quote:
'Gandalf,' the old man repeated, as if recalling from old memory a long disused word. 'Yes, that was the name. I was Gandalf.'
*shakes head* He's impossible!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #132
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Tolkien

Sorry if this has already been posted!

Quote:
"What`s the use to sniff? The smell `bout knocks me down with my nose held. You stink, and the master stinks, and the whole place stinks!" "Yes, yes and Sam stinks!"
or some where along those lines (this is a fight between Sam and Gollum.

I also liked, in RotK, when Gollum/Smeagol is talking to himself, and Gollum says, "All she get`s is nasty orcses." "And they dosen`t taste very nice, does they precious?"
There were a WHOLE lot more that I like, but I would be here all night if I posted them all! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:26 AM   #133
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn and Legolas rode with Eomer in the van. (I love the mental image you get with that one lol)

From UT. Thorin to Gandalf: Either some foresight is upon you, or you are merely crazed.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:51 AM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Armetiel ]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:18 AM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: Armetiel ]
Old 01-21-2004, 06:32 PM   #134
Arwen Evenstar

Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Tolkien

Quote:
Legolas and Gimli rode with Aragorn in the van.(
I came upon that again, while reading The Two Towers for about the 3rd a couple weeks ago and couldn`t stop laughing, which was bad because I was in band and supposed to be watching the stupid movie. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I also love the part where one of the soldiers trip over Merry, and start cursing the tree roots. Merry tells him that he is not a tree root (or bag), but a very bruised hobbit. When the soldier leaves, He says something like, "Farewell, Master Bag!"
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:35 PM January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Arwen Evenstar ]
Old 01-24-2004, 04:16 PM   #135
Elanor the Fair
Pile O'Bones

Elanor the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say that when Merry is in bed after defeating the King of the wraiths, and you don't know if he will live. He wakes up and says" I'm hungry, what is the time?'.

I laughed for and hour after that. I'm not quite sure why... Oh well, I still think that it is very funny!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:18 PM   #136
Arwen Evenstar

Sting

In The Fellowship of the Ring, just after Bilbo leaves, Gandalf comes to the door and knocks, but Frodo dosen`t answer because he`s afraid it`s Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. Gandalf replies to this by saying
Quote:
Frodo, if you do not open this door and let me in, I shall blow it down your hole and out through the hill!
or something like that. It sounds funny that way, but if you think of it a different way... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2004, 04:26 AM   #137
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello all, sorry if this has been posted prior to now (i only read the first two boards)

I think Gimli has a good few one liners:

Gimli FoTR: "No body tosses a dwarf" followed immediatly by the classic "Not the beard"

Then in a complete reversal in TTT at helms deep,
Gimli whispers "Toss me"
Aragaun replies "What"
Gimli "Toss ME" pause "But dont tell the elf"

I apologise if the next quote is not word for word but i hope it gives you the jist.

Gimli "Unbeatable odds, Certain death, Well what are we waiting for"

Just a few i'm sure theres many more [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Donlammenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #138
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Arwen! You naughty naughty Elfling, you! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm afraid to admit that I had a similar perception of that comment. Needless to say, it caused a great deal of side-clutching laughter that garnered more than a few strange looks from the old lady sitting next to me (I was reading this on a bus).
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:38 PM   #139
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This ones from the film; when the fellowship (minus gandalf) enter Lothlorien and Celeborn says "The dwarf breathes so loudly, we could have shot him in the dark."
Old 08-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #140
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Kili's "Ah I smell frsh cut bread and butter!"
Old 08-21-2004, 07:35 PM   #141
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I've always liked Merry or Pippin's line, terribly sorry I can't remember which, when the Uruk-hai make camp: "Well...where's bed and breakfast?" or something to that extent.

Gimli: Dwarfs are natural sprinters...very dangerous at short distances.

And my all time favourite is Bilbo's line which is my signature. I love it so much I used it as my Senior quote in the highschool yearbook.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #142
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The one that's fun to say in a pansy-ish moan is Legolas's "Ai! A Balrog is come!"

And from rereading LotR more recently, I think I've begun to appreciate Tolkien's droll sort of humor. One thing that made me laugh was a quote from the last chapter of RotK (I believe) and it says something along the lines of,
Quote:
"And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except for those who had to mow the grass."
as if mowing the grass is some kind of great hardship. ::chuckles to self::
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #143
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Favorite lines from Books and the Movies.

Well here's mine from the movies, both happen to be from ROTK, I love how Theoden sort of beats around the bush with Eowyn.

Theoden: I have left you instructions, the people shall follow your rule in my sted. Take up my seat in the Golden Hall, long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill.

I love it, it's basically Theoden telling Eowyn that famous saying "stay back and GUARD the fort." Lol.

And Theoden basically giving Merry as slap in the face.

Theoden to Merry: None of my riders can bare you as a burden.

Wow Theoden you are so kind and gentle.

As for the Book goes. I would have to say the conversation between Gildor and Frodo.

Quote:
Three is company
"The meaning of it fair people," said Frodo, "is simply that we seem to be going the same way as you are. I like walking under the stars. But I would welcome your company."
"But we have no need of other company, and hobbits are so dull," they laughed. "And how do you know that we go the same way as you, for you do not know whither we are going?"
I love Gildor's response, "hobbits are dull." It's the first time we get to see other races make jokes about the hobbits, and the Elves ignorance here first shows.

Also, from Three is Company

Quote:
Gildor was silent for a moment. "I do not like this news," he said at last. "That Gandalf should be late, does not bode well. But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger...
"And it is also said," answered Frodo: "Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will will say both no and yes."
So there Frodo get's a jab back at Gildor, for the "hobbits are dull comment." And at the end of the match we have a tie, Gildor: 1 Frodo: 1, it will be judges decision...
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 AM   #144
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I just read "Farmer Giles of Ham" and I loved this line:

Quote:
He was a grammarian, and could doubtless see farther into the future than others.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:57 PM   #145
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
There are two from Return of the King that always tickle my fancy:
Quote:
And he will tell you that he did no know that the herd you desire had any virtues...and after adding a few half-forgotten rhymes that he does not understand, he will regretfully inform you that there is none in the House, and he will leave you to reflect on the history of tongues.
Said Aragorn to Merry of the herb-master.

Quote:
Was there ever any one like him?...Except Gandalf of course. I think they must be related.
A quote from Pippin (speaking of Aragorn) that makes me laugh every time I read it.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #146
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Smaug the sardonic worm has several good lines,
including: "You have good manners for a thief and a liar."

And Bilbo:
Quote:
Poor Bilbo couldn't bear it any longer. At 'may never return' he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel....the poor little hobbit could be seen kneeling on the hearthrug, shaking like a jelly that was melting. Then he fell flat on the floor, and kept calling out "struck by lightning, struck by lightning!" over and over again
and

Quote:
Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!
And Gandalf and Thorin:
Quote:
"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" said Thorin to Gandalf as they rode along. "To look ahead," said he. "And what brought you back in the nick of time?" "Looking behind," said he.
That's all for now, so thag you very buch.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #147
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
1420!

My favorite from the books (and yes this was in the movie too) was the argument over the potatoes that sam and gollum had.

-cheers

P.S. I've been gone for 2 months but I'm back from madrid!!!! (it was awesome).
Old 09-03-2004, 12:52 AM   #148
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Madrid ,thats really cool.

ya mine favourite was the one when Smaug says " you have good manners for a thief and a liar".

that was really funny
Old 09-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #149
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I'm sorry if it's not word-for-word but:

BILBO: Good morning.

GANDALF: What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning or do you mean to say that it is a good morning whether I want one or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?

Did Gandalf not have his coffee that morning or something?

And also:

"You can't expect folk to stop here forever just to be eaten by you and Bert"

And the fact that trolls absolutely detest the sight of dwarves...uncooked, that is.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 09-03-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:27 PM   #150
Decended_of_Narinya

Silmaril

Nah, the funnyist of the movie scenes has to be the point where Aragorn is trying to get rid of the soup Eowyn gives him. Especially when he tells her he's 87. I dono why it strikes me so funny, the 87 bit, but it just does.

Then again there's always the VERRY BEST of Pippin:

Merry: You'll have to tie us up in a sack to send us home.
Pippin: And becides, you'll need people of intelegence on this sort of message, quest, thing.
Merry: Well that leaves you out, Pip.
Elrond: So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring
Pippin: Great! So, where are we going?

Then later on:

Frodo: Mordor, Gandalf, which way is it?
Gandalf: Left.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #151
Lindo

Frodo to Pippin: "I don't keep water in my pockets."