The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting my pesssssious

Gollum was bad, i know that. but, they call him a creature. Is this true? because he refers to himself as Smeagol too. That is said to be the hobbit side of him. SO, was he a hobbit at one time??? And if so, is that why Bilbo said he felt stretched out? I mean, look at gollum! Does anyone know??
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum was once a hobbit, but at the time of the War of the Ring, he is at least 500 years old. So most of his hobbit-nature has died out.
Bilbo felt stretched because the Ring does not give you more life, it extends the one you already have. So it seemed to Bilbo his life was being stretched.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:51 PM   #3
Anorien
Wight

Sting

whoa, thnx!
Old 07-10-2002, 02:42 PM   #4
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Caradhras has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Caradhras Send a message via AIM to Caradhras
Silmaril

Hey~
But that doesn't make any sense unless the people who made the movie screwed up because at the beginning of the movie when she is explaining things she says the ring abandons( spelt wrong ) gollum and lands in the most unlikely of creatures hands... or whatever she says but it is something like that!! Well, can someone explain that please! Laters~!

http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/serv...tz/grommit.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/animals/bl_paw.gif
Caradhras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 02:43 PM   #5
Anorien
Wight

Sting

see, that has always confused me!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:00 PM   #6
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that's because Smeagol (Gollum) wanted it, and killed for it, and finally left his people... Whereas Bilbo just found it by chance and didn't think much of it. If it wasn't for Gollum again, who was tortured in Mordor and let out Bilbo's name, I think the Ring could stay in the Shire for quite a lot more time. So it foung a wrong keeper (from its point of view)
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 03:14 PM   #7
Avalon

Sting

It's just really confusing!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Caradhras has taken over my virtual body! So if I/her say anything strange, blame her! Nu uh !!!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Oh and if I seem to be talking to myself, I'm really talking to her.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:33 PM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum was a hobbit at one point in time. He and his relatives lived by the water. One day he was swimming with his friend, his friend found the ring and Gollum killed him. He rationalized it by saying that it was his birthday present. The ring eventually twisted him so much that he was hardly a hobbit anymore. He was also starved, which made him look very Un-hobitlike.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Quote:
the ring abandons( spelt wrong ) gollum and lands in the most unlikely of creatures hands... or whatever she says but it is something like that!! Well, can someone explain that please!
Well, if you think about it logically this statement makes perfect sense. A hobbit has lived his whole life in The Shire and is use to an extremely comfortable and safe lifestyle and he is the one to find the One Ring?
Basically everyone on Middle Earth viewed hobbits as simpleton farmers who were completely unaware of the world around them. That is not far from the truth. The dwarves doubt hobbits so much that Gandalf practically has to lie to them and shove them on their way when trying to get them to meet Bilbo. When the dwarves meet Bilbo they find that all their worst fears have come true. He is scared of the thought of leaving The Shire and seems like the worst choice Gandalf could have possibly made to join their party. And this is the person that will find the the most evil and powerful object on all of Middle Earth?
That is why they say he was very unlikely to be the one to find the ring.