Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2004, 06:07 PM   #601
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye The prodigal punster returns ...

Er - exactly how many works are we parodying now? I lost count.

Welcome back Rim! I hope that it's an extended cameo.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:01 AM   #602
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome back indeed, Rim! It's great to have you questing with us again; we hope Halfemption (great name!) will have the time to continue on - perhaps all the way to Valleyum. There are too many ideas in your post to mention all of them, even providing I caught them all, but a few of my favorites are: the aged mariner; warp factor; "Prawn Spreader" - sounds like a sandwich!; Bawlin and Snorin; and the nature of 'dead silence'. Oh, and his ditty about the names!

It will be interesting to see how this new but feeling-like-old character will fit in with the rest of the Shipshape-Ship! I can't help but wonder what story is behind the fact that he already seems to know Kuru's name, even taking the liberty to use the short version...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-11-2004, 09:17 AM   #603
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ai! Ai! A Rimbaud!

Great posts Saucepan and Rimbaud!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:19 AM   #604
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks chap/esses; Esty, I think there's a line in my post where the Itship introduce themselves. Typical lassez faire writing, eh? The name ditty is a riff on a Paul Simon song, I just can't resist sometimes.

So - Halfemption:

In keeping with the thoroughly inaccurate naming thus far, whereas Halfullion was assuredly half-empty, Halfemption is rather the other way. Although less good looking than his more esteemed and enobled sibling, he is the brighter of the two, and the more sensitive. A gentle play on Faramir and Boromir coming up soon...

The young Halfemption was kicked out of home by his father, Old Gumption, for not being 'heroic' enough, and for commenting wrily that the family should spend less time adjusting their hair, and more time preparing for the quests that invariably lessened their number. Old Gumption took this as a severe insult upon the Gilded Scissor, and banished his son until such time as he could prove his valour.

Unfortunately, shortly after he set out in his ship, Halfemption became stranded on an island, where he turned into a dragon and it took a rather uncomfortable episode with a lion to straighten him out. He has picked up a companion, the estimable Fetherfled - of whom, more later.

Halfemption is, however, in the common parlance - a good egg, whereas Halfullion had always been a little cracked. Something to do with throwing off the yolk etc etc.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #605
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
throwing off the yolk
groan.....

Where's the pun police when you need them?? We could throw a great party from Rim's ticket fees!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-18-2004, 08:35 AM   #606
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

I was quite restrained, in truth. Restraint has certainly been a major facet of the RPG recently...
Old 11-19-2004, 12:14 AM   #607
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question Erm...

Is anybody planning anything, or should I go ahead?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:08 AM   #608
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
you are welcome to write any episode that takes your fancy
still applies - go ahead! Much of what I wrote as a general guideline in this post is yet valid. The ship's journey is not planned, but is open to any kind of appropriate (or innappropriate, for that matter!) adventure. We will be structuring and coordinating the story more when we reach the shore of Valleyum.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:27 PM   #609
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Prepare for confusion...

That last post turned out to be a little longer than I'd intended. Once I'd gotten started it was hard to stop.

The real test, for those of you who are paying attention, is to correctly guess who will be in Merisuwyniel whenever it is they find her.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't done this gag sooner.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:51 PM   #610
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

As I'm a sucker for nerdy questions like this ...

... I presume that it will be Grim Reeperneep.

Great post, Kuru! But, hey, you already know that.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:24 PM   #611
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Correct as usual!

I bet you did not even have to construct a flow chart to keep track of everything like I did.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:05 AM   #612
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

What a fantabulous post, Kuru! You had me laughing over so many things - coughcoughprotrusionunderthebedcovercoughcough - what a shock for Merisu to be Kuru after her usual knockout appearance! The body switches are definitely a novel plot element that no one has thought to use until now, and your combination names are hilarious. Thanks for a highly amusing post!

Question: Are you planning to continue that story to bring it to an end, or would you like someone else to keep going?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #613
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Oh, I think it would be fun to see what the other minds in the project can make of this particular situation. (And I’d written myself into a corner) (And it was alread seven pages in Word. If only I could as quickly crank out that much on the things I need to get done. )

As a public service announcement, here is the complete list of the switches so the next person to post does not have to go through and pick them all out.

Merisuwyniel is Kuruharan=Kuru-suwyniel
Orogarn Two is Soregum=Orogum Two
Pimpi is Gateskeeper=Pimpi-keeper
Soregum is Reaperneep=Sore-neep
Neemoi is Leninia=Neeninia
Macaw is Pimpi=MacPimpi
Cirkdan is Orogarn Two=Cirk-garn Two
Vogonwë is Cirkdan=Cirk-onwë
Leninia is Halfemption=Half-Leninia
Gateskeeper is Grralph=Grrrateskeeper
Grralph is Neemoi=Grr-moi
Halfemption is Vogonwë=Vog-emption
Kuruharan is Macaw=Kuru-caw
Reaperneep is Merisuwyniel=?

I believe that is everyone.

Further variations on the names are highly encouraged because it makes it harder to tell who is who.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #614
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for that helpful list, Kuru! Now, who wants to pick up the story? Anyone interested in steering that train of thought to some kind of conclusion? Or maybe derailing it... I know Thena is working on a completely different post, so he will either have to wait until this is done or tack it onto a previous post, if so inclined - such are the privileges of admins!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:40 PM   #615
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

A bundle of tumbleweed blows forlornly across the REB2 threads.

A solitary figure bedecked in pots and pans wanders into view.

"Hello," he cries. "Is there anybody there?" But his words simply echo in the vast emptiness ...
Old 11-30-2004, 04:19 AM   #616
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Tumbleweed tumbles

I would like to post, yet I went not so long ago. That said, if no-one's going to leap, like a pen-wielding salmon of laughter, into the stream of REB, I might trail my fingers through the dregs of my inspiration.

It does, however, mean I have to disentangle us from Kuru's deft continuity annhilation.

So to speak.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:22 AM   #617
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Would you, Rim, pleeeeease?!

*Esty gives him a look that's a heart-melting combination of puppy and Merisu

I would roll up my sleeves and do it myself, if necessary, yet I'd much prefer that someone else take on the task of cleaning up Kuru's mess!
Old 11-30-2004, 05:33 AM   #618
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Nice though your molten-canine-look is, Princess, I'll do it for your Merisu side

I'll have a peek this afternoon, and see what new ridiculousness I can foist upon you all.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #619
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

whew!

Thanks for a wonderful post, Rim! You managed to get the Mixed-Nuts-Ship out of their predicament, though with a bit of the usual mayhem and destruction at the end. (The next poster should be able to find some means of getting them back to their ship, I'm sure.) There are some great laughs in your post, which I shall not count up for various reasons, one of which is the notion of family-friendly posting... I must admit, though, you do have me curious about the "scene that can only be described by someone with the willpower to do it". Oh, and how ingenious to come up with the idea of a ring that changes everyone's personalities!!

At any rate, I am very glad that you jumped into the breach (or was it onto the beach?) to post. Now who'll be next? Thena, who has been working on a post, appears to have fallen prey to real life and hasn't been around lately. Mith, Diamond, and Lush would be the next obvious choices, since it's been about six weeks since their last posts. Game, any of you?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:08 AM   #620
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

That was family-friendly! Pah! Anyhoo, it transferred minds to correct bodies, and that's what was needed

It would be good to see a little more life in the thread.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 AM   #621
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Ha-Ha-Ha

I would also like to commend Rimbaud for his efforts, since I am unable to bestow reputation to him at this particular moment. I liked the ADD and AGE parts particularly.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #622
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I also applaud Rimbaud's fine post.

But it seems that the Itship is now sans ship. How are we to complete our voyage to Valleyum?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:04 PM   #623
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Inventiveness, and ingenuity, my dear Pun-Warden.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:06 PM   #624
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

As I understand Rim's closing sentence, only the boat, not the ship, is gone - which would mean that the landing party needs another shuttle - beg pardon, boat, of course. Unless he meant the ship when he said "boat"... Clarification, Rim?

And even if the ship is meant, "lost" does not mean "gone forever", right?!
Old 12-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #625
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Sorry. I meant no vessel is in sight. No dinghy, nor ship anchored further out. This is open to any interpretation. Fog, piracy or simply being on a different beach are all available. I certainly don't think the ship is lost completely, or rather, that certainly wasn't what I meant.

Last edited by Rimbaud; 12-02-2004 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #626
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Now that we have killed off his character, I notice that Squatter has made something of a reappearance.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:00 AM   #627
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Well, if he does tuck his welcome head around the REB door, we have more than enough rudderless characters!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #628
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

We also have enough precedence cases for the reinstallation of Participants-Whose-Characters-Were-Killed-Off - Rim, Bb, and Mith...

While I'm waiting for some responses as to next posts, I'd like to clarify the important issue of timing: Should I have the Itship reach Valleyum before Christmas, or should we wait and tackle that plotline afterwards? I'd like the Valleyum sequence to be well-coordinated and faster paced, and since things are moving so slowly now, I hesitate to proceed to the next stage.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #629
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

I vote for a 'formal' break over Christmas (as I won't have much 'home' time available over that period). And, personally, I would rather wait until the new year for the Valleyum adventure, as I suspect that I shall be taking a fairly active role, and I'll have more time to post then.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #630
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Point of Order Madam Chairperson

I second the motion.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:37 AM   #631
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Sounds good

A couple of brief posts during December should get us up to Valleyum, a joy we can savour in a new year. I'll be away from the 15th onwards, so that's great for me.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #632
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

OK. I've got the next post. We'll be off to the Ent's Surprise shortly. I just have to review some backstory before I write it. WARNING! I think that this one will be truly painful....
Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 PM   #633
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Done! Oh, and it IS really painful...
Old 12-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #634
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Pawh-hawh-hawh-hawh!!

Popáyë, Kururobinhood…I love it! Ouch, my ribs…
Old 12-03-2004, 02:54 PM   #635
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Well done, Mith! One more time! "Birdwing, you're a fine girl...."

I was just perusing the thread to see if there was any plot points I might have missed that should be incorporated into the final draft of the next post...we *will* be returning to true StarTrek parody after a brief commercial break...

In all seriousness (or at least as much of it as I have on-hand) I will post this weekend. In the meantime, blessings of the season to all!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:21 PM   #636
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

sniff! What a touching tale! A lovely post, Mith, especially since you let Merisu tell that canonical story. I can't help but wonder if Birdwing was also names Olívöyl...

It seems that Pimpi has discovered the secret of "Hitchhiker's Guide to Middle-earth", which, considering to whom she's betrothed and the nature of his poetry, is no surprise, I suppose.

Great ideas, hilariously written - thanks for a very funny post!

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 12-03-2004 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2004, 03:33 PM   #637
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

*Bows to all.

Thank you. Djinn and tonic anyone?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #638
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Djinn and tonic anyone?
Ouch.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:28 PM   #639
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Any similarity between Ear-Hand-Ill the Mariner and Earandnau the Marinade is entirely coincidental.

Great post, Mith! Nice to see a few of the legends only hinted at 'til now being fleshed out. We're getting quite a little Legendarium (Parodarium?) going here now.

I've put up a quick post, which is primarily plot ( ) development. Extra parody points to anyone who uncovers the significance (such as it is) of the Laurinandon Bridge.

Oh, and sorry to anyone who has never seen the UK soap Eastenders, as you won't get the ending ...
Old 12-04-2004, 03:02 AM   #640
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Oh I do, with a shiver of dread.

Most excellent posts gentlefolk! Loved the developing backstory in Mith's and the developing forestory in SpM's; nothing will escape our fearsome satirical grasp... I'm still waiting for a good spoof on Trotter the Ranger Hobbit, though.

Rep forthcoming, but apparently, like butter on bread, I need to spread it around a bit more.