The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2002, 05:54 PM   #1
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Post Lots

I have seen this in a lot of welcome threads and this could be confusing for new posters who may think they can post lots of chat and personal message type posts along with the one word or just a smile post, these kinds of posts are considered spam and are frowned upon as it is someone just trying to add to their post count to get to a higher posting level, also frowned upon. Another popular post I have noticed lately, is the "I don't know, but I'm going to post anyway" If you don't know, the thing to do is not post at all, for one thing it's annoying to everyone else and also you do not look so intelligent, sorry it's true. We do want you to post but to post wisely, not just to post or to pad your post count. Also if you want to know about anything related to the site, how things work, please check here: Click Here
or click search.

[ August 06, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I see where you're coming from and I agree with you.

Using Private Messages to welcome new people is a much better way to greet someone.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:32 PM   #3
ElfEarz
Animated Skeleton

ElfEarz has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

i do not agree. i say that all the time to newbies and i don't think they will get confused. they are no less smart then me or you. i had some 1 say that to me when i first came here and i wasn't confused. it is just a way to encourage newbies to be active. activeness is what keeps these boards up. there's no need for you to get angry or upset. you're getting much to carried away.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
there's no need for you to get angry or upset. you're getting much to carried away.
You assume too much, way too much if you think that was a post made in anger, or that anyone is getting carried away. It happens to be the truth whether you like it or not.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:46 PM   #5
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Question

I agree with Elrain and Elfearz.

I used to tell the newbies to post lots, but I thought a bit about all the chat threads I was seeing with some of the newbies in it that I greeted.

I just think that the newbies should read around and get used to the site before they start posting.
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 12:14 AM   #6
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Elrian. Sure we want people to post, but not useless stuff, or stuff to get more posts for themselves. I used to go to two different message boards, and they had one thing in common: they encoureged you to get LOTS of posts. At one of them, if you wanted to impress others, you needed to get lots of posts, like a thousand, or more (the more the merrier). [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I think we should try to keep our posts useful, and personaly, I am happy that the Mods are thinking this too, and are acting.
My $0.02,
~M

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 09-15-2002, 10:44 PM   #7
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do admit that I say "post often" in my greeting, but I can see that this does encourage nonsense posting. This is why I left the Downs for a few weeks. There was no "meaty" topics. I want stimulating discussion, not 'what's your favorite' or ---- is so hoooottttt!.' I got tired of seeing this.

Also, I am on another board that gives "malda" gold for posting. This is fun, the purpose is to buy weapons and armor and such for a battle. It is a fun board, but again, a lot of nonsense because people want more gold.

I am a moderator on this board and I am trying to find a way to bring up the level of the board, but it is hard to do. I am very thankful for the Downs. This is the best Tolkien board that I have ever seen.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:04 PM   #8
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I haven't been here long, so I hope you guys don't think I'm intruding. But I'm a member of loads of different Tolkien forums. The forums that have the most problems with spam posting are the ones that have member statuses and the like. I know I didn't really like having 'Pile o' Bones' under my screen name for the first week or so after I joined. Not to say I think posting rubbish just to raise your status is a good idea, but some people feel obilged to do so to gain respect.
Also, from a newbie point of view, the first thing a new person wants to do is distinguish themselves. This means starting topics, whether they are shallow or not. I'll admit I'm guilty of a 'favourites' thread.
Actually, I think this place is one of the best boards for decent Tolkien discussion. Member ratings mean you earn respect for the quality of what you do post, not what how much you post.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:18 PM   #9
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I, personally, have found it easy to ignore the annoying little gushy asides, but I agree about the pointless posting to get up status as being annoying.

What actually started getting to me a while back was that people set up their own threads each time they were a newbie saying "HIIIII! I'm new!" I didn't do that when I was new because I was, to tell the truth, so afraid of getting in trouble. I mean: it's okay to introduce yourself in your first post ever, but to create a separate thread for it? The forum's busy enough...we've already had to limit in the Freestyle RPG room because of all the RPG's that were started...

But: I think that the new rules enacted in here are doing a good job so far!