Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #11
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam proudly took the driver's position in the wagon, waited for the others to hop in, and started off. He drove with an air of certainty and self-assuredness, but in truth he wasn't completely comfortable driving yet, and it required his full attention. He answered very shortly when anybody said anything to him, and the conversation soon included only the other children.

Wonder where Cami is, Sam thought as he guided the wagon along. She ought to be here, shouldn't she? Any road, she's a better driver than I am, that's for certain. He shrugged. She must be doing something else. He did wish that she was here though, or he was there. He and Cami fought a lot, there was no doubt about that, but he always felt better when his cousin was around. He did occasionally resent the fact that she was a year his elder, but he took comfort in not being the oldest, having somebody above him to look to for guidance. At least she'd be there when it came time to actually deal with Sandyman.

"I hope Ted Sandyman won't be too mean." He heard Elanor's voice beside him, and she sounded worried. The stretch of road ahead was clear and straight, so Sam took a risk and looked over at her, smiling.

"Don't worry," he said confidently, looking back to the road, "I don't expect we'll have much trouble." He didn't know if it reassured Elanor, but hearing himself say it reassured him a little bit. "Cami will know how to handle it," he added, a little surprised at himself for actually saying it out loud. "I mean, I could, too, but Cami will be there, that is," he finished, attempting to look grown-up. He tried to ignore Elanor's grin.

Finally Cami caught up with them, apologized for being late and hopped into the wagon. Naturally he teased her, but he was quite glad to see her. Now there would be no problem in handling Sandyman.