The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Yeade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yeade Send a message via Skype™ to Yeade
Silmaril Fanart: A LOTR Space AU

Well, it's been a while. Re-reading my own posts from 2005 is at once a hilarious and rather humbling experience. Tolkien scholars much more qualified than I have since tackled LOTR's many genealogies, but I've come to present yet another harebrained project, lol, my interest in Middle-earth rekindled by the prospect of new films.

I'm drawing and worldbuilding a LOTR space AU, as the thread title says. Why? I guess because every fandom that isn't already sci-fi must have a few. Also, I've been meaning to dust off my artistic skills, such as they are, after years of letting them languish and didn't feel inspired by any other subject.

Two pieces are completed, linked to deviantART below, with at least half a dozen more in the planning stages. Both are accompanied by extensive notes on the setting that I'd be glad to receive commentary on, especially along the lines of how better to adapt Tolkien's universe. Granted, I assume forgiveness for raising a question as ludicrous as what LOTR might look like as a space opera to begin with...

Currently, I'm working on Lothlórien. It'll be some time before I can finish, however, as I'm experimenting with watercolor pencils. Lórien and Mirkwood I intend to place together on a forest moon orbiting the system's largest gas giant just past the asteroid belt, analogous to Jupiter and its many natural satellites. Esgaroth and probably Dale will be on another moon, though I've not yet decided where Erebor should go. I suppose it depends on what exactly Smaug is, lol, seeing as he must travel from the Lonely Mountain to Laketown without the aid of a spacecraft.

Last edited by Yeade; 04-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Yeade is offline   Reply With Quote