The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2002, 08:17 AM   #1
RiderOfRohan
Animated Skeleton

RiderOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Should I read The Book Of Lost Tales???

I was wondering if I should read The Book Of Lost Tales, I've already read The Hobbit, and LOTR. Your Opinion please.

I feel so uninspired. Mind Altering drugs, that's what Ineed!
RiderOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:17 AM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

You should read the Silmarillion {if spelled right} after LOTR. And then read Unfinished Tales. After that, I guess you would go into HOME books starting with The Book of Lost Tales.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I would advise you to read the Silmarillion next - it gives you the mythological background material for Middle-Earth. Then you can go on to Unfinished Tales, Lost Tales and the rest of the History of Middle-Earth.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 11:02 AM   #4
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do what Eruwen and Estelyn say, they're smart broads. On another note, though, I don't want to see any more of these "Should I read..." topics. YES, YOU SHOULD. And you should do it in this order: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, BoLT, HoMe. There are lots of other books by Tolkien, too. YOU SHOULD ALSO READ THOSE. I don't ever want to see this question applied to a Tolkien book ever again. The only time this question is ok to ask is when it is about something like The Tolkien Companion. The answer to that question is of course "NO." You should not read The Tolkien Companion, it is full of falsehoods. Now, no more of these "Should I read..." questions, and lets get back to the good stuff, like how come The Silmarillion has so much allegory?

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]
Old 08-03-2002, 01:46 PM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

How come the Sil has so much allegory? Why, just to bug you, Burrahobbit. The Proffessor saw you coming and had you pegged.

:-D

Lova ya, dude.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Yep. These people are right, specially the mighty burrahobbit. Read the Silmarillion first, it just awesome.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:02 AM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Now, no more of these "Should I read..." questions...
Burrahobbit, should I read "The Father Christmas Letters"? (Birdie waits for rant, which she finds very entertaining.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 07:32 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

While you're waiting for burrahobbit's rant, Birdie, here's a smart broad's opinion - I have no idea!! Never read them myself yet! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Shall I?? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
should I read "The Father Christmas Letters"?
Yes, if you can find it. It doesn't really have any value for discussion here, and I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm sure it's worth the time. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll give you a bit of free help.