The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2002, 06:27 PM   #1
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting How Powerful is Aragorn

What all can Aragorn do. He can heal and is king and all. I need a little shining of light on his past if you know any plz tell me. Thanks! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:32 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, he has all the power of a king. I remember reading somewhere that only a king can use the healing benefits of kingsfoil to his advantage (please correct me if I am wrong).
As for his past... there is some in the appendixes if you check there. In short... he was brought to Rivendell by his mother when he was a boy. He was raised there by Elrond and then he chose the life of a ranger when he grew older. What happens after this is pretty much the book. Sorry that I can't type more, but I don't have the books right now, so I can't look everything up...
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:38 PM   #3
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting

Thanks a lot for the enlightment well now i know type more if you can Thanks again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

OK, I found the book (I am in the processing of packing, so it was buried). Here are some passages that may help...
From Appendix A
Quote:
Arador was the grandfather of the King. His son Arathorn sought in marriage Gilrean the Fair, daughter of Dirhael, who was himself a descendant of Aranarth.
Quote:
... Gilrean bore him a son, and he was called Aragorn. But Aragorn was only two years old when Arathorn went riding against the Orcs with the sons of Elrond, and he was slain by an orc-arrow that pierced his eye...
Quote:
Then Aragorn, being now the Heir of Isildur, was taken with his mother to dwell in the house of Elrond; and Elrond took the place of his father and came to love him as a son of his own. But he was called Estel, that is "Hope", and his true name and lineage were kept secret at the bidding of Elrond...
It was at the age of 20 that Elrond told Aragorn who he really was. Elrond told Aragorn of his heritage and that he would do great things. It was the day after that that Aragorn first beheld Arwen (she lived in Lothlorien during the time he was raised).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 07:26 PM   #5
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

cooool! i never knew all this, and i heard that arathorn died, but i didnt know how.
tolkien shouldve made a book about all the adventures of aragorn, and called it strider, or something.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:34 AM   #6
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say IMO that Aragorn was not as powerful physically as some characters in the books (although certainly one of the most powerful humans), but he was intelligent, had a great strength of will, and a pure heart. These were probably the qualities that made him most successful.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:39 AM   #7
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

He was able to use a Palantir, and look upon Sauron...so he must have a strength greater than normal men.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:54 AM   #8
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn using the palantir and holding his own with Sauron blew me away! That was one of the most awesome bits for me. I wish it had been elaborated on more. I hope they do it justice in the movie!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:30 PM   #9
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In unfinished tails it elaborates on this. One of the reasons(besides his strength), according to UT, that he can resist Sauron is because he is the rightful user of the Palantir and that gives him an advantage somehow. It is similar with Denethor since he is acting for the king, however the advantage is not as strong. Saruman has no claim on the stones, and thus, he is more easily ensnared.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 02:20 PM   #10
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Hi,

In my view, Aragorn has two types of power.

First of all he is the rightful heir of Isildur so has semi-'magical' healing ability and the 'right' to use the Palantir.

Secondly he has the benefit of experience from a long life as a warrior and ranger. After all he fought successfully for the Rohirrim and Gondor (burning the ships of the Corsairs) before LoTR even started.

Additionally he's an elf friend and must have gained much lore from Elrond (who raised him as a father).

OK that's three!

(No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)